Friday, September 5, 2008

Go ahead, brag on yourself

What is the most unselfish gift you have given or deed you have done?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything that I think of....I am then reminded of the "Friends" episode where they say you can't truly do something unselfish because you always end up getting something out of it.

I think as a mom I have to say the things that I do for my children. The choices that I make, not because they are what I want to do, but what I feel like I need to do.

Anonymous said...

my husband and i have on occasion left $100 bills for friends who are really in need of financial help. we have done this anonymously because we do not want credit, nor do we want to embarrass the recipent. Plus it just feels good.

Anonymous said...

ooh that was a good one (anonymous #2)

I can't think of anything so I guess I am too selfish.

I also agree completely with anonymous #1

Anonymous said...

A lady was checking out in front of me at the store, her debit card didn't go though (she had small kids with baby food, etc). I paid for it. She was embarrassed, but I told her "everyone has rough times. Many have helped me out, when things get better you help someone else...just pass it on." She was very gracious.

Anonymous said...

I think it's not WHAT you do, but how much love you put into doing it.

Mother Teresa said "We can do no great things, only small things with great love..."

I struggle with that sometimes, because I want to do something GREAT, but then I remember that everything I do is great if I do it with great love and compassion. We don't have to have to win a Nobel Peace Prize to make a difference in the world. We just have to show kindness to those around us everyday.

I would say the most unselfish thing that I do right now is taking care of my family.

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite little things my husband and I have done was.. One night two 16 year old girls were camping down the road from us. When the guys they were with decided they would shove them out of their rv while driving past our house! They weren't hurt bad, just wanted directions to start walking home. Home was over 2 hours by car! So, we drove them into town, ran through mcdonalds and got them something to eat, then got them a room for the night. These poor girls were in swimsuits and didn't have a dime on them. On the way, we got to talking and they were really ashamed and kept saying that all they wanted was a good life with a good guy. When we dropped them off, they were so thankful and couldn't believe how giving we were and what a wonderful family we have. They loved playing with our 2 kids on the way to town. I always smile when I think of them now. I like to think that they are now in their 20s and that good things are happening with them. All because a nice family showed them the way life should be.

Anonymous said...

i usually try to give money or food to the homeless people that stand on the roadside with signs.