This is an experiment to see how honest people can be if they don't have to identify themselves. Some silly, some deep, but all require honesty.
Friday, September 12, 2008
Ahhh...Perfection
Why do we, as wives and mothers, want others to think our family is perfect? Why do we want others to think WE are perfect?
(Submitted question-Thank you!)
11 comments:
Anonymous
said...
I think this is Satan's strongest foothold among Christians today. Satan has convinced us that we have to appear perfect, worry free, faith strong. Even when we are falling apart inside. Especially when we are falling apart inside.
God designed us to need other people for encouragement, strength and support (thus Eve). Yet, the times we are struggling, most of us put on a face of lies and pretend it is all okay. I think everytime we say "fine" when we are far from it, we break God's heart.
In some ways it is easier to lie and avoid judgement from people, or whatever it is we are afraid of. But really, it just leaves us isolated, desperate and in Satan's clutches.
Having hidden a lot of sin and sorrow, I feel passionate about this, but I don't know how to change it. My question is how do we create an environment that makes it safe to be real with each other?
Maybe because we are afraid others will judge us, or maybe we are afraid of judging ourselves, and admitting that we are not perfect, so we put on a happy face to convince OURSELVES that everything is okay.
I agree with anonymous #1, I think is so important as Christians to share the good AND the bad in your life. By sharing what you are struggling with, you never know who else you could help in the process.
Listen to what the WORD says..Romans 5 :3-5"Rejoice in your sufferings because suffering produces perseverance, perseverance:character; and character:Hope. Hope does not dissapoint us because God has poured out his love to us through the Holy Spirit." The Holy Spirit is what gets us through the tough times. If we have not persevered, well, do we or do we not want to get into heaven.
Keep the good, Change the Bad. Don't quick fix it, get dirty and live a peaceful life.
And read 2 Corinthians 1:3-6 if you are wondering why you are going through trials. Very encouraging words for myself.
I want my kids to appear perfect because if they don't then I feel like I am not a good Mom. I get a lot of self worth from others thinking I am good at things...I shouldn't, but I do and I look forward to that earthly praise.
I do agree with a lot of the above comments, but to answer very simply, I think it's because we strive for perfection. I don't think we're actually "putting on a show" of perfection, but maybe we think that if it looks perfect, it'll become perfect. Not saying this is the right mindset, just an observation.
I think it's bc if we truly open up to people, they sometimes use it against us later. In the back of my mind, I always watch what I say to my sis-in-law. She's still kind of immature and any little thing I say, she remembers and uses it against me. Even if it is something petty!
I think taking my "mask" off is scary. I always feel that when I am completely honest with people they judge me because my life/family isn't perfect. I hate acting like perfection is a part of my life. It is so freeing to be able to take that mask off and share the real me with people.. unfortunately there are very few people I can do that with. I think being "perfect" is exhausting.. it's such an act. Why be afraid to ask for help.. open up.. share the real you? I think being real show you who your real friends are and who else is just wearing a mask.
I totally agree with comment #1, although there are several great points in the other comments. I struggle with this... knowing that God put need in our lives so that we would lean on those around us.
My biggest fear, currently, is that revealing my struggles to those around me will affect my work relationships. I would like to think that being in the Church of Christ that that is a silly fear, but the obvious judgments that I have witnessed in others around me when people close to them struggle (within our own church) scare me off from sharing my own. I have even had thoughts of attending other churches in hopes of finding less judgment and more openness.
Most of these questions are now submitted. Please feel free to submit your question and see how others feel. Email me here with a subject line of "Anonymous Truth"
11 comments:
I think this is Satan's strongest foothold among Christians today. Satan has convinced us that we have to appear perfect, worry free, faith strong. Even when we are falling apart inside. Especially when we are falling apart inside.
God designed us to need other people for encouragement, strength and support (thus Eve). Yet, the times we are struggling, most of us put on a face of lies and pretend it is all okay. I think everytime we say "fine" when we are far from it, we break God's heart.
In some ways it is easier to lie and avoid judgement from people, or whatever it is we are afraid of. But really, it just leaves us isolated, desperate and in Satan's clutches.
Having hidden a lot of sin and sorrow, I feel passionate about this, but I don't know how to change it. My question is how do we create an environment that makes it safe to be real with each other?
Because if we aren't then we feel like we are failing at the most important thing of all.
Maybe because we are afraid others will judge us, or maybe we are afraid of judging ourselves, and admitting that we are not perfect, so we put on a happy face to convince OURSELVES that everything is okay.
I agree with anonymous #1, I think is so important as Christians to share the good AND the bad in your life. By sharing what you are struggling with, you never know who else you could help in the process.
Listen to what the WORD says..Romans 5 :3-5"Rejoice in your sufferings because suffering produces perseverance, perseverance:character; and character:Hope. Hope does not dissapoint us because God has poured out his love to us through the Holy Spirit."
The Holy Spirit is what gets us through the tough times. If we have not persevered, well, do we or do we not want to get into heaven.
Keep the good, Change the Bad. Don't quick fix it, get dirty and live a peaceful life.
And read 2 Corinthians 1:3-6 if you are wondering why you are going through trials. Very encouraging words for myself.
I want my kids to appear perfect because if they don't then I feel like I am not a good Mom. I get a lot of self worth from others thinking I am good at things...I shouldn't, but I do and I look forward to that earthly praise.
I too want others to think I am the best mother ever. And what is so silly about it is that I appreciate other mothers that admit they aren't so much!
I do agree with a lot of the above comments, but to answer very simply, I think it's because we strive for perfection. I don't think we're actually "putting on a show" of perfection, but maybe we think that if it looks perfect, it'll become perfect. Not saying this is the right mindset, just an observation.
I think it's bc if we truly open up to people, they sometimes use it against us later. In the back of my mind, I always watch what I say to my sis-in-law. She's still kind of immature and any little thing I say, she remembers and uses it against me. Even if it is something petty!
I think taking my "mask" off is scary. I always feel that when I am completely honest with people they judge me because my life/family isn't perfect. I hate acting like perfection is a part of my life. It is so freeing to be able to take that mask off and share the real me with people.. unfortunately there are very few people I can do that with.
I think being "perfect" is exhausting.. it's such an act. Why be afraid to ask for help.. open up.. share the real you? I think being real show you who your real friends are and who else is just wearing a mask.
I totally agree with comment #1, although there are several great points in the other comments. I struggle with this... knowing that God put need in our lives so that we would lean on those around us.
My biggest fear, currently, is that revealing my struggles to those around me will affect my work relationships. I would like to think that being in the Church of Christ that that is a silly fear, but the obvious judgments that I have witnessed in others around me when people close to them struggle (within our own church) scare me off from sharing my own.
I have even had thoughts of attending other churches in hopes of finding less judgment and more openness.
Because we think that perfection equals happiness....
Post a Comment