This is an experiment to see how honest people can be if they don't have to identify themselves. Some silly, some deep, but all require honesty.
Monday, September 15, 2008
Friends?
Do you have a friendship that feels like it is work to maintain? Why does it feel that way, and why do you choose to work at it?
10 comments:
Anonymous
said...
yes and it is very emotionally draining. I feel that she thinks we are in some kind of competition. We have so many of the same friends that it would be too awkward not to be friends with her. It is just easier to try to be friends but be on guard.
I used to have a great friendship with someone years ago. We did fun things together both with and without our families. Now, it seems like this person is only my "friend" when they want something from me. I always agree to spend time with them, no matter the reason, because I really want to return to the old days when things were different.
I have one of those relationships. I'm not sure why we have to work at it. When we are together it is comfortable, usually. Actually, to tell the truth, it is her husband. I just don't like him. I would prefer to not have to deal with him. Not a bad guy, just not the kind of person I enjoy being around.
I work at it because there is a great history and she knows a lot of my secrets. I don't want to give that away.
My best friend is draining to me, yet at the same time I just love her. She's there for me when I need her, but is really hard to be around. She always wants to be perfect in everything, she's rude, and just seems to think she's better than everyone. I can easily tell when she being fake to others and it seems like she is that way all the time. She's was my maid of honor and I was hers. We actually have fun together but when we are around others I feel like I have to explain why she is the way she is. I hate it, but for some reason feel I have to stay connected.
I have a friend like this. She has hurt my feelings a few times, and I have never felt like I could completely be myself around her, but I guess I feel sorry for her because I know she has been through a lot. I also feel that as a Christian, I should be forgiving.
Also, I am just one of those people who has a hard time saying how I really feel. I just don't like confrontation, so I have never told her that she has hurt my feelings.
First of all, there is a part of me that is hoping that I am not "the friend" any of you are refering to (I can easily rule out two of them). I always try to be a good friend to all of my friends, especially the ones I hold dear. But I also recognize that sometimes it is too easy to get wrapped up and distracted by what is going on in my own life that I'm not always as sensitive to my friends as I should be.
On the flip side, I have two of these "friends". One of them I've come to realize was probably never really a friend to begin with and the other is one of those people who only seems to want to be my friend with they either want something or wants to feel good about themselves. I think the only reason I still put forth any effort (though it is becoming less and less) is because we have several mutual friends and no matter how often these two people exclude me, I just feel bad doing the same.
I also have one of these friends, probably more if I think about it but this one is the most important to me. Things have gotten better, but I still feel like it's just not as easy a relationship as my other friends. But she is a fellow christian and I think that is what keeps me "working" at it plus our children are good friends too.
She wears me out. She would do anything for me, but she can be rude at times and doesn't know how to act like a grown up. I try to lead by example, but it's not always easy!
I feel like I am one of "those friends" sometimes. I try to be sensitive to my friends needs, but I got to a point where it was too emotionally draining to keep up with everyone's lives. As much as I really wanted to it got very depressing and has just been easier for me to withdraw. I don't want to be fake and act like everything is great when good friends are around, but I also don't want to spend every hour of every day listening to everyone's issues. God did not wire me to be able to handle all of this. As much as I pray about it and try to give everything to him I still stress over some of it and like I said before it is very emotionally draining, which doesn't make me a very fun person to be around.
I can see my friend in all of these! I think we stay friends bc we don't know how to not be friends. We've been friends and fought like sisters since 6th grade. Her hubby works 2 jobs so she can stay at home while sending her kids to daycare. We have nothing in common anymore! My latest gripe was when her husband was in an accident and she didn't rush to his side. He was in ICU for weeks and she took her time getting to him. I was freaking out worse than her. He actually died twice while there. I took her kids and kept them for 3 weeks and never expected anything! Now, my dad is dying, and she is nowhere to be found!! Thinking about it. I don't know why we are friends?!?
Most of these questions are now submitted. Please feel free to submit your question and see how others feel. Email me here with a subject line of "Anonymous Truth"
10 comments:
yes and it is very emotionally draining. I feel that she thinks we are in some kind of competition. We have so many of the same friends that it would be too awkward not to be friends with her. It is just easier to try to be friends but be on guard.
I used to have a great friendship with someone years ago. We did fun things together both with and without our families. Now, it seems like this person is only my "friend" when they want something from me. I always agree to spend time with them, no matter the reason, because I really want to return to the old days when things were different.
I have one of those relationships. I'm not sure why we have to work at it. When we are together it is comfortable, usually. Actually, to tell the truth, it is her husband. I just don't like him. I would prefer to not have to deal with him. Not a bad guy, just not the kind of person I enjoy being around.
I work at it because there is a great history and she knows a lot of my secrets. I don't want to give that away.
My best friend is draining to me, yet at the same time I just love her. She's there for me when I need her, but is really hard to be around. She always wants to be perfect in everything, she's rude, and just seems to think she's better than everyone. I can easily tell when she being fake to others and it seems like she is that way all the time. She's was my maid of honor and I was hers. We actually have fun together but when we are around others I feel like I have to explain why she is the way she is. I hate it, but for some reason feel I have to stay connected.
I have a friend like this. She has hurt my feelings a few times, and I have never felt like I could completely be myself around her, but I guess I feel sorry for her because I know she has been through a lot. I also feel that as a Christian, I should be forgiving.
Also, I am just one of those people who has a hard time saying how I really feel. I just don't like confrontation, so I have never told her that she has hurt my feelings.
First of all, there is a part of me that is hoping that I am not "the friend" any of you are refering to (I can easily rule out two of them). I always try to be a good friend to all of my friends, especially the ones I hold dear. But I also recognize that sometimes it is too easy to get wrapped up and distracted by what is going on in my own life that I'm not always as sensitive to my friends as I should be.
On the flip side, I have two of these "friends". One of them I've come to realize was probably never really a friend to begin with and the other is one of those people who only seems to want to be my friend with they either want something or wants to feel good about themselves. I think the only reason I still put forth any effort (though it is becoming less and less) is because we have several mutual friends and no matter how often these two people exclude me, I just feel bad doing the same.
I also have one of these friends, probably more if I think about it but this one is the most important to me. Things have gotten better, but I still feel like it's just not as easy a relationship as my other friends. But she is a fellow christian and I think that is what keeps me "working" at it plus our children are good friends too.
She wears me out. She would do anything for me, but she can be rude at times and doesn't know how to act like a grown up. I try to lead by example, but it's not always easy!
I feel like I am one of "those friends" sometimes. I try to be sensitive to my friends needs, but I got to a point where it was too emotionally draining to keep up with everyone's lives. As much as I really wanted to it got very depressing and has just been easier for me to withdraw. I don't want to be fake and act like everything is great when good friends are around, but I also don't want to spend every hour of every day listening to everyone's issues. God did not wire me to be able to handle all of this. As much as I pray about it and try to give everything to him I still stress over some of it and like I said before it is very emotionally draining, which doesn't make me a very fun person to be around.
I can see my friend in all of these! I think we stay friends bc we don't know how to not be friends. We've been friends and fought like sisters since 6th grade. Her hubby works 2 jobs so she can stay at home while sending her kids to daycare. We have nothing in common anymore! My latest gripe was when her husband was in an accident and she didn't rush to his side. He was in ICU for weeks and she took her time getting to him. I was freaking out worse than her. He actually died twice while there. I took her kids and kept them for 3 weeks and never expected anything! Now, my dad is dying, and she is nowhere to be found!! Thinking about it. I don't know why we are friends?!?
Post a Comment