This is an experiment to see how honest people can be if they don't have to identify themselves. Some silly, some deep, but all require honesty.
Wednesday, September 30, 2009
If you are on Facebook, do you have anyone blocked? If so, why? Have you ever rejected a friend request of someone you know (or have known) in real life? If so, why? Do you think it is wrong for Christians to reject a friend request on Facebook unless their safety is at risk or whatever?
21 comments:
Anonymous
said...
My husband didn't accept (he just ignored, didn't reject) someone he knew from college who is openly gay. Because of his line of work, he didn't want people to click on his and see all the pro homosexual stuff.
I ignore requests from people I don't know, I've blocked people who I don't really keep up with anymore.
And I frequently use that "hide" button on the side of the status posts. I started "hiding" people when I got tired and frustrated of seeing all the extremely negative and critical stuff people (especially "Christians") were posting in regards to the health care debate.
I don't think it's wrong for Christians to reject someone one FB for any reason. In life you "reject" or "accept" people and filter who your "friends" are, as a way to guard your heart and mind. FB, like TV and other things on the Internet, is a place we, as Christians, should do that.
I have an ex-boyfriend blocked. One of the first things I did the day I joined.
I have never rejected a request from someone I know in real life.
As a general rule, however, I don't add guys from college, high school even guys at church unless they add me and that's only been once. Most of the guys on my FB are related to me or really really old. Although my husband doesn't have a FB page, I don't think I'd be happy if he had all of these girls on his, so I don't add alot of guys. Know what I mean???
I don't think it's wrong for Christians to reject someone one FB for any reason. In life you "reject" or "accept" people and filter who your "friends" are, as a way to guard your heart and mind. FB, like TV and other things on the Internet, is a place we, as Christians, should do that.
I disagree.
As Christians, we are supposed to be the light of the world and salt of the earth.
You never know what kind of influence you can make on someone.
It could as simple as adding a friend from high school who is not a Christian. Simply invite them to church (if they live near you) or ask them if they would like to study the Bible with you. A FB friend request is one new-technology way to share God's love with someone. Comparing it to TV is ridiculous. These are people in real life. If you were at the mall, and a person from high school came up to you and said hi, how are ya doing?, would you automatically "reject" them an walk away?
Look at it this way: What if the reason why someone was adding you was because they wanted to be friends with a Christian? And then you rejected him/her........... how would you feel???????
Now, if you add someone and they start posting porn, obscene jokes or whatever then you can remove them. But don't judge them and reject them before you add them! (This is referring to people you have known in real life, not some random joe blow who tries to add you, probably a spammer.)
I agree that FB can be another great tool to share Christ's love and bring others to Christ.
When I compared FB to TV I meant that we as Christians should filter what we watch on TV and we should filter what we look at on the Internet and that includes FB.
And what I meant by "rejecting" and "accepting" people in real life was that we choose who we hang out with and who we don't. I'm not sure what the benefit of having 467 friends on FB is when you don't really "talk" to each of them or know them.
I'm on FB and have a private setting so I can not be found. I have a limited amount of FB friends. I'm just private and don't want everyone knowing what's going on in my life. Even have a private/secert group that is more limited. Yes I have rejected request. Requests were waiting when I joined FB. Yes I am Christian and I don't have to friend everyone.
I've blocked someone has problems respecting personal boundries. I felt bad about it and wouldn't do it under normal circumstances, but it was just necessary in this case.
I won't add someone I don't know or don't remember. There are some guys I have added to my limited profile because even though I knew them, I wouldn't say we were ever "friends" and I'm not comfortable with them having too much information about me.
But generally, I add people I know who send me friend requests. I'm kind of annoyed at the length of my friend list because it makes it harder to keep up with the friends I am close to (sorting through all the updates). I just don't understand why people want to add people they don't really know.
I just leave the friend requests as that--requests. I don't ignore them, but if I don't know the person that well, I don't feel the need to know the details of their daily life. I have hidden some of my 'friends' also--I get annoyed with the constant play by play of their day, and also their scores on games they're playing. I love facebook as a way to get in touch with people, though!
Here is how I look at fb. If I get a request of someone I don't know and don't have mutual friends with, I ignore. Everyone else I will accept. They are most likely just curious about what you are doing and what your family looks like (old HS friends I never talk to). I don't mind people being curious. I try and post "Christian" things so maybe these curious people will be blessed or encouraged. If someone posts political views or social views that I don't agree with, I don't worry about it. We should be kind to everyone so if someone were to judge me by what my fb friends do, well that is their problem and not mine! By posting positive, encouraging things often, people will know who I really am regardless of my fb friends.
I will say it is not unchristian like to block or defriend someone if they have become an obsession or addiction. If secretly stalking your ex-boyfriend or even a secret crush from your church is becoming a problem, then by all means block or defriend.
I received a friend request from someone from high school. This person treated me quite badly back then, and I was really surprised that she sent a request. I didn't block her, but I also didn't, nor do I plan to, confirm her as a friend.
My husband de-friended a FB friend. I think he confirms all friend requests. Anyway, the person he de-friended has A LOT to say about EVERYTHING, and most of what this person says is negative. He just got tired of all the stuff he was reading.
People know when they have been de-friended, or ignored requests. They go to look at your profile and all of the sudden can't. That can cause problems if it is someone you know and still see. There is no difference between ignoring a request and rejecting. It gives the same outcome- not allowing the person to see your profile thus leaving them thinking you are a snot or holier than thou. Yes, we are back in HS. It's fb reality. Which is why I accept everyone I know.
If someone has too much to say I choose not to read it. I am not on much and I don't play games or keep up with what people say very much.
I don't understand being private? Christian's aren't really supposed to be private are they? How can you show Christ in all that you do if you are hiding? Not to judge. It's just a thought that came to my mind.
I know I am probably annoying and frustrating to Christ, but I sure hope he accepts me when it's judgement day.
I think the truth is, many of us are very "ME ME ME" oriented. We make decisions based on ME and not how to serve and help others.
Accepting someone's friend request, and not ignoring or rejecting it (this applies to people in real life, not random strangers) shows that you want to help them, serve them, and be like Christ.
To the person who wrote:
I'm not sure what the benefit of having 467 friends on FB is when you don't really "talk" to each of them or know them.
Here are some of the benefits:
* Praying for them when they have a need and vice versa * Encouraging them when they are in a difficult time and vice versa * Networking Opportunities - suggestions for jobs and such * Advice on situations they might be in and vice versa * Celebrating with exciting times in their lives and vice versa * Helping them in times of crisis and vice versa
It's kind of like the song "We part of God's family.... and sometimes with laugh together, sometimes we cry, sometimes where share together...... heart-aches and sighs.... sometimes we dream together of how it will be... blah blah blah we're part of God's family"
To those of you who reject people you know in real life (or ignore), maybe its time to be a little friendlier, happier, more considerate, etc etc etc it might help you old in the long run!!!!!
I recently denied my best friend. We are more like sisters and fight constantly. Life with fb private from her was great. She was on my myspace though so I didn't see it as a problem until I gave up myspace. I then added her to my fb and it's been great so far... Sorry T!
I haven't rejected anybody. My husband has rejected an ex-girlfriend. He let me know when he got the request. My reaction was that whatever he chose to do about it was fine with me. I am glad that he rejected it, though.
My husband and I both have one of his ex-girlfriends blocked. She continually tried to make contact with him during our dating and engagement and tried to be facebook friends with us both after we were married. She is not a stable person and we would rather her not know about our lives.
Most of these questions are now submitted. Please feel free to submit your question and see how others feel. Email me here with a subject line of "Anonymous Truth"
21 comments:
My husband didn't accept (he just ignored, didn't reject) someone he knew from college who is openly gay. Because of his line of work, he didn't want people to click on his and see all the pro homosexual stuff.
I ignore requests from people I don't know, I've blocked people who I don't really keep up with anymore.
And I frequently use that "hide" button on the side of the status posts. I started "hiding" people when I got tired and frustrated of seeing all the extremely negative and critical stuff people (especially "Christians") were posting in regards to the health care debate.
I don't think it's wrong for Christians to reject someone one FB for any reason. In life you "reject" or "accept" people and filter who your "friends" are, as a way to guard your heart and mind. FB, like TV and other things on the Internet, is a place we, as Christians, should do that.
5:34 am - What is your hubby's line of work, just curious?
I have an ex-boyfriend blocked. One of the first things I did the day I joined.
I have never rejected a request from someone I know in real life.
As a general rule, however, I don't add guys from college, high school even guys at church unless they add me and that's only been once. Most of the guys on my FB are related to me or really really old. Although my husband doesn't have a FB page, I don't think I'd be happy if he had all of these girls on his, so I don't add alot of guys. Know what I mean???
I don't think it's wrong for Christians to reject someone one FB for any reason. In life you "reject" or "accept" people and filter who your "friends" are, as a way to guard your heart and mind. FB, like TV and other things on the Internet, is a place we, as Christians, should do that.
I disagree.
As Christians, we are supposed to be the light of the world and salt of the earth.
You never know what kind of influence you can make on someone.
It could as simple as adding a friend from high school who is not a Christian. Simply invite them to church (if they live near you) or ask them if they would like to study the Bible with you. A FB friend request is one new-technology way to share God's love with someone. Comparing it to TV is ridiculous. These are people in real life. If you were at the mall, and a person from high school came up to you and said hi, how are ya doing?, would you automatically "reject" them an walk away?
Look at it this way: What if the reason why someone was adding you was because they wanted to be friends with a Christian? And then you rejected him/her........... how would you feel???????
Now, if you add someone and they start posting porn, obscene jokes or whatever then you can remove them. But don't judge them and reject them before you add them! (This is referring to people you have known in real life, not some random joe blow who tries to add you, probably a spammer.)
Another way to look at it is to ask:
WHAT WOULD JESUS DO?
I usually just hit the ignore button. I've gotten friend requests from people that I don't know.
It's your own right to have who you want as friends on facebook.
The question was about people you HAVE known in real life, not people you don't know!
7:28, 7:06 here.
I agree that FB can be another great tool to share Christ's love and bring others to Christ.
When I compared FB to TV I meant that we as Christians should filter what we watch on TV and we should filter what we look at on the Internet and that includes FB.
And what I meant by "rejecting" and "accepting" people in real life was that we choose who we hang out with and who we don't. I'm not sure what the benefit of having 467 friends on FB is when you don't really "talk" to each of them or know them.
Has anyone rejected your friend request? How did it make you feel?
I'm on FB and have a private setting so I can not be found. I have a limited amount of FB friends. I'm just private and don't want everyone knowing what's going on in my life. Even have a private/secert group that is more limited.
Yes I have rejected request. Requests were waiting when I joined FB. Yes I am Christian and I don't have to friend everyone.
I've blocked someone has problems respecting personal boundries. I felt bad about it and wouldn't do it under normal circumstances, but it was just necessary in this case.
I won't add someone I don't know or don't remember. There are some guys I have added to my limited profile because even though I knew them, I wouldn't say we were ever "friends" and I'm not comfortable with them having too much information about me.
But generally, I add people I know who send me friend requests. I'm kind of annoyed at the length of my friend list because it makes it harder to keep up with the friends I am close to (sorting through all the updates). I just don't understand why people want to add people they don't really know.
I just leave the friend requests as that--requests. I don't ignore them, but if I don't know the person that well, I don't feel the need to know the details of their daily life. I have hidden some of my 'friends' also--I get annoyed with the constant play by play of their day, and also their scores on games they're playing. I love facebook as a way to get in touch with people, though!
how can you hide people's status updates? does it just hide that one, or hide all of their updates?
Here is how I look at fb. If I get a request of someone I don't know and don't have mutual friends with, I ignore. Everyone else I will accept. They are most likely just curious about what you are doing and what your family looks like (old HS friends I never talk to). I don't mind people being curious. I try and post "Christian" things so maybe these curious people will be blessed or encouraged. If someone posts political views or social views that I don't agree with, I don't worry about it. We should be kind to everyone so if someone were to judge me by what my fb friends do, well that is their problem and not mine! By posting positive, encouraging things often, people will know who I really am regardless of my fb friends.
I will say it is not unchristian like to block or defriend someone if they have become an obsession or addiction. If secretly stalking your ex-boyfriend or even a secret crush from your church is becoming a problem, then by all means block or defriend.
I received a friend request from someone from high school. This person treated me quite badly back then, and I was really surprised that she sent a request. I didn't block her, but I also didn't, nor do I plan to, confirm her as a friend.
My husband de-friended a FB friend. I think he confirms all friend requests. Anyway, the person he de-friended has A LOT to say about EVERYTHING, and most of what this person says is negative. He just got tired of all the stuff he was reading.
People know when they have been de-friended, or ignored requests. They go to look at your profile and all of the sudden can't. That can cause problems if it is someone you know and still see. There is no difference between ignoring a request and rejecting. It gives the same outcome- not allowing the person to see your profile thus leaving them thinking you are a snot or holier than thou. Yes, we are back in HS. It's fb reality. Which is why I accept everyone I know.
If someone has too much to say I choose not to read it. I am not on much and I don't play games or keep up with what people say very much.
I don't understand being private? Christian's aren't really supposed to be private are they? How can you show Christ in all that you do if you are hiding? Not to judge. It's just a thought that came to my mind.
I know I am probably annoying and frustrating to Christ, but I sure hope he accepts me when it's judgement day.
Very good point - 4:11!!!!!!!
I think the truth is, many of us are very "ME ME ME" oriented. We make decisions based on ME and not how to serve and help others.
Accepting someone's friend request, and not ignoring or rejecting it (this applies to people in real life, not random strangers) shows that you want to help them, serve them, and be like Christ.
To the person who wrote:
I'm not sure what the benefit of having 467 friends on FB is when you don't really "talk" to each of them or know them.
Here are some of the benefits:
* Praying for them when they have a need and vice versa
* Encouraging them when they are in a difficult time and vice versa
* Networking Opportunities - suggestions for jobs and such
* Advice on situations they might be in and vice versa
* Celebrating with exciting times in their lives and vice versa
* Helping them in times of crisis and vice versa
It's kind of like the song "We part of God's family.... and sometimes with laugh together, sometimes we cry, sometimes where share together...... heart-aches and sighs.... sometimes we dream together of how it will be... blah blah blah we're part of God's family"
To those of you who reject people you know in real life (or ignore), maybe its time to be a little friendlier, happier, more considerate, etc etc etc it might help you old in the long run!!!!!
I recently denied my best friend. We are more like sisters and fight constantly. Life with fb private from her was great. She was on my myspace though so I didn't see it as a problem until I gave up myspace. I then added her to my fb and it's been great so far... Sorry T!
I haven't rejected anybody. My husband has rejected an ex-girlfriend.
He let me know when he got the request. My reaction was that whatever he chose to do about it was fine with me.
I am glad that he rejected it, though.
My husband and I both have one of his ex-girlfriends blocked. She continually tried to make contact with him during our dating and engagement and tried to be facebook friends with us both after we were married. She is not a stable person and we would rather her not know about our lives.
Post a Comment