Monday, September 7, 2009

Are you concerned about the President's address to our nation's children tomorrow?

46 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, and I think the whole controversy is absolutely ridiculous.

Was it really less than a year ago when these same people who are complaining now were still proud of a president who had led us into a war under false pretenses and committed what much of the rest of the world considers to be war crimes? Where is your unconditional support of your president now? Don't you believe that God is still in control? Are you really that afraid for your children to be potentially exposed to differing viewpoints?

Just makes me sick. Let your kids listen to the president and then talk about it at home.

And for Pete's sake, please respect the democratic process. America chose Obama. Get over it.

Anonymous said...

Whoa, it isn't about just Obama giving a speech. It is about having direct access to our children with no parents. This administration has proven mulitple times they can't be trusted and surround themselves with self declared communist. Why would you give these people direct access to your kids?

It is also about the creepy lesson plan the white house sent to all the teachers about talking to the students about how they can servce the president, how to help HIM acheive HIS goals, directions to make posters of Obama, etc. Also some schools have been promoting the speech by showing this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqcPA1ysSbw&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sltrib.com%2Fnews%2Fci_13249171%3F_requestid%3D5883011%26_requestid%3D7198270&feature=player_embedded Um "I pledge to be a servant to Obama." Does that not creep anyone else out???
If my kids were old enough to be in school, I would either pull them out or go sit with them the entire day to see what the school does with it.

Anonymous said...

Younger kids will forget the speech when it's lunch time or recess. Older kids might remember parts of it but I don't think a short speech will brainwash them for life. People are overreacting for sure!

Anonymous said...

I'm not worried at all. Our school required permission slips and I checked no. I did not vote for him, I do not like him and I will not stand behind him. Neither will my children!

Anonymous said...

What exactly are you afraid he's going to say?

Anonymous said...

I don't give a crap about what he is going to say, I don't want him saying anything to my children without my permission. I am the 6:28 poster and again, he can not be trusted, I would of done the same thing if Bush surrounded himself with Marxist and Communist and creepily sent out lesson plans to honor himself. How are not more people weirded out by that?

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with 5:15 am.

Do those of you who not want your kids to hear the president's speech unless you can preview it preview your child's teacher's plans? Do you keep them out of other school assemblies unless you have been given a preview first?

No matter what your personal or political belief's are it is irresponsible to say to children "you don't have to respect leadership just because you don't agree with it."

And to those of you who say the administration can't be trusted: What exactly has the administration done to not be trusted?

It is ridiculous that you would not want your child to hear words of encouragement to study hard and stay in school from the President of the United States.

Anonymous said...

The President wants to speak to our children about the importance of education, studying hard, and making good grades.

How dare he! How dare he spread his Communist, Marxist, Socialist agenda! (Or whatever it is he's being called this week)...

Don't teachers have direct access to children everyday they are in school? Do you have the teachers fax the lesson plans over every day, so you can approve what's being taught in the classroom?

And 7:51 makes a good point... younger kids are going to forget about it by lunchtime. The government is not out to brainwash your children. I also think this controversy is absolutely ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

Oh, if that is all he is planning on saying then I would completely not care. But no, I don't want my kids pledging service to him. They only pledge to serve God.

I would want to know exactly what he is saying first. BTW, even young kids can remember. THey will say "I don't remember" often, but then later on, they'll bring something up and you are amazed that they remember or that they heard.

I respect all presidents. It is the hardest most stressful job in the nation. As I have said before, Bush did not cause this stuff. He HAS to listen to people. Was he perfect, NO. Could YOU have done better? YOU WILL NEVER KNOW! He had people pressuring him to do something and so he had to just trust his gut sometimes. Same with Obama, if he truly had all the power, we'd have one government ran health care plan already. Presidents DON'T have as much power. When things are well, people praise the Pres, when they aren't they blame him. It's not that easy!! If there really were WMD you would certainly be singing a different tune!

God is in control, everything will work out. If the country falls apart, God is still there. Has nothing to do with me having the ability (and by means, I'll exercise) to know what my kids will be hearing.

Anonymous said...

I think the controversy is just plan wierd. I mean, he's the President of the Unite States, not a dictator in some militant state.

I am sad about the fuss that has been made. Someone pointed out to me that President Bush was reading a book to elementary children when he was alerted about 9/11, so President's traditionally have access to school children.

I don't know what people are afraid of, but it seems to me like this has brought out the worst in people and it uncover racism and prejudice and intolerance.

Anonymous said...

Oh come on, you honestly think I am a rasict because I don't agree with his policies???

I hope you get more informed about who Obama really is and who he surrounds himself with.

Anonymous said...

9:38 - Would you have the same opinion if George W. Bush wanted to address the children about education? Just curious.

Anonymous said...

The remarks are posted:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/MediaResources/PreparedSchoolRemarks/

Oh no. Look at that pinko agenda:

"But at the end of the day, the circumstances of your life - what you look like, where you come from, how much money you have, what you’ve got going on at home - that’s no excuse for neglecting your homework or having a bad attitude. That’s no excuse for talking back to your teacher, or cutting class, or dropping out of school. That’s no excuse for not trying."

Anonymous said...

Racist?? I am no the one who sat 20 + years in a "church" listen to a pastor spew racist remarks constantly. Also I don't surround myself with those who make racist comments constantly..

Hmmm.. Care to comment on that?

Anonymous said...

I agree with a friend of mine who said that she read the speach appreciates the message (earn your success and do your part to make this country great), and I am glad the government choose to share the speech. It is a parent's job to question what their kids are hearing and seeing and I'm glad the government worked w/ us on that... I don't think I could have said it better myself.

Anonymous said...

Are people really afraid their kids might be indoctrinated from hearing a short speech? I'm sorry, I missed the press release about Obama being a brainwashing expert.

If anything, you should look at this as an opportunity to afterward explain to your kids what a terrible person and president Obama is. It'll give you another chance to spread the hatred.

Some of us spent eight years submitting to someone we felt was an incompetent boob. Now it's your turn.

Anonymous said...

9:38, just out of curiosity, did you vote for John McCain, the man whose slogan was "Country First"?

How is his slogan any different than BO saying support him. HE is President of these great "united states" and knows the ONLY we can change where we have gotten ourselves is by working together.

Seems a little hypocritical to judge BO for the same message McCain used a year ago.

Anonymous said...

11:25 - To answer you honestly, no. I would still like to know what he was planning on saying but I do trust him more. He never put out a video of celebs saying pledge your service to obama. If I was confident he wasn't planning on saying anything but study hard kids, do be a bully, etc. I would not be at all concerned. It has nothing to do with race. It has everything to do with extremist views (even his own party is tellin him to cool it!) and bringing celebs to get kids and young adults to "serve" him.

Anonymous said...

http://www.whitehouse.gov/MediaResources/PreparedSchoolRemarks/

Anonymous said...

3:03- I am not judging anyone! I am getting ready to read what is going to be said right now! You people being extreme saying "go ahead, spread the hate" are just as ridiculous as we on the other side are supposidly being!

I'm a concerned parent. Yes, if my kids learn something in school I don't agree with (i'll let them hear it) then use it as an opportunity to tell them another side and have a discussion over it. Just like the gay convo that was talked about. I'm not saying I wouldn't let me kid go to the assembly in the gym, but I would want to be informed...so I can be prepared to talk about it as well!

I plan on my child going to school tomorrow so am I really THAT different than you?

Anonymous said...

I don't have a problem with a president addressing school children. It's been done before (much to the chagrin of democrats at the time). What I have a problem with is the timing. I'm surprised with everything that has been going on in the past few months that someone in the white house didn't think, "Hey...people seem to be kind of turning against us right now. Let's hold off on this speech until next year."

And to the 5:15 a.m. poster...yes, America did chose Obama. But I don't have to get over it. And THAT is the democratic process at work.

Anonymous said...

To the person that posted at 2:21, you made me laugh out loud.

You liberals are funny to me. When you don't know what else to say, you play the George Bush card. It's so predictable.

Instead of doing that, please tell me what, in your opinion, Obama has done to for our country.

This is a serious question. I'm really interested to see what you think. And please don't mention George W. Bush in your answer.

Anonymous said...

7:24, They can't, that is way they always throw something in about Bush.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Please tell me what Mr. Sortero (aka: Obama) has done so far that you are pleased with?

Why don't I want my kids listening to him? When's the last time you read up on Hitler? He's using the same play book.

Have you been watching the news on Van Jones? Do you even know who Van Jones is? The self proclaimed communist? The same guy that Obama brought in as an "adviser?" Thank God that Glenn Beck raised a stink about him and pulled the curtain. He resigned yesterday. Hoorah!

What ever happened to the "promised" government transparency? Still not happening, is it.

Obama was recently asked on ABC if he and his family would also be on the (proposed) government health care. His answer? He ignored the question. The government is currently exempted from being a part of this wonderful health care bill that they are trying to cram down our throats.

Would you like me to continue telling why I don't want him talking to my kids? I don't want him pushing his agendas on my kids. That's why. I don't trust him or any other politician near my kids. I'll be casting my vote to throw them all out of office next time around.

Anonymous said...

To the John McCain "Country First" poster, did he say John McCain first? He was comparing two inhumane things: our Country and earmarked politics. I also don't want my kids serving, pledging, even heavily adoring anyone other than Christ and I really get annoyed with the use of celeberities. Kid's already think they are gods. I am all for working together, encouraging, pledging to stand behind, or just praying for them! I don't think anyone should hate or slander.

I read the link posted on here and all sounded fine to me. I am glad I know what it says and I see I have nothing to worry about.

I do get sick of hearing the Bush card being thrown out so often as well. People who use it seem to either have no idea what they are talking about and like getting people fired up, or they are really passionate about the other side winning, they'll say anything to make them look better (like all the dumb political commercials I see). I'm all about stating facts and playing fair...which is why I hate politics. It's the opposite.

Anonymous said...

10:44, You say you don't want him pushing his agendas on your kids - what agenda are you talking about? Have you had a chance to read the speech? It sounded like he was trying to motivate and encourage kids to be better students. How is telling a child to respect their teachers, and stay in school an agenda?

I honestly don't get it. What on earth is wrong with these encouraging words? If the school principal wanted to hold an assembly and read the speech, word for word himself, or if a motivational speaker was brought in, and said the same words, would there be such an uproar? Probably not. I think some people are going to be so quick to find fault with the President, they can't even step back and see this for what it really is.

Nowhere in his speech does he say anything about supporting his govm't policies, or pledging to serve him, and not God. So, you're going to keep your kids out of school, all because of a speech that says kids should stay in school? That makes sense. Are you going to tell your children not to listen to anything the President says because Obama is a bad person, instead of saying, "I may not agree with the Pres most of the time, but he's right about doing your best in school."?

This is absurd.

Anonymous said...

Did you not read any of the previous posts? THe issue isn't a speech about doing good in school (which by the way was changed after so many were upset.) The issue is with the hero-worshipping lesson plans that were also sent out.

This man CAN NOT be trusted. He said himself to look at the people he surrounds himself with and that will show you his polices. HELLO!!!! He surrounds himself with self-admitting communist, racists and tax cheats. How does THAT not bother you?? Seriously, I am asking, why are you not bothered by that?? I really want to know.

Anonymous said...

This speech lasted about twenty minutes. Not even a half hour.

It's way more dangerous to allow your kids daily access to a teacher whose personal life and politics you have no idea about, than it is to allow a public figure access to your kids for ONE DAY.

If you wanna be paranoid, be paranoid about THAT. If you're really concerned about potential hidden agendas and such, pull your kids out and homeschool. Geeze.

Anonymous said...

9:42- I don't know what you are talking about hero worshiping lesson plans? The question was just the speech. You can't disagree the speech was harmless?

I understand the uproar because of thing's he's put out already (the video many have addressed here) and the concern. But after reading the speech(even if it was changed last minute) you can't really say it was harmful can you?

Anonymous said...

Of course saying "stay in school" isn't harmful, I don't think anyone in their right mind would say that. People wanted to know why people were getting upset, I was trying to clarify why they were getting rightfully upset.

I totally agree with 10:44. I know some of you are Obama supporters and even posted Obama Election ads on your other blogs. But I beg you to really look at who he is and who he surrounds himself with, I think if you did your opinons would totally change instead of just blindly following him.

Yes, thankfully, God is in control no matter what happens and I put my trust in him, but there is also something to be said for standing up for what is right and not allowing wrong to happen and to blindly let it happen.

I seriously want to understand why you support Obama, other than he is first 1/2 black President, please someone clarify WHY you support him and his agenda. And why you aren't bothered by the other stuff I metioned in 9:42. Please take a minute to answer, by you not answering it just futher validates my point that you are blindly following him or you have your head in the sand.

Anonymous said...

6:28 -- what creepy lesson plans did the White House send? I'm a teacher. I didn't get any creepy lesson plans that directed me to ask students to service the President and help him acheive his goals. As far as what's on YouTube, the White House doesn't have control over that. They did encourage students to make videos along of the lines of "I Am What I Learn" and upload them to YouTube. But as far was what someone chooses to say in their video, that's not up to the White House.

There's nothing to be concerned about regarding the speech. People who are concerned are afraid of something, and are letting their fear, rather than their reason, speak.

Anonymous said...

This one:

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/10582301/President-Obama’s-Address-to-Students-Across-America-September-8-2009

Anonymous said...

9:38 am, do your kids pledge their allegiance to the flag? Do you let them say the pledge? I will be super impressed with you if you answer no, because you will be consistent. That's great, and a position I would respect greatly, even though you and I have very different political opinions from what I can tell.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, 5:03, for proving that the White House is NOT asking "about how they can servce the president, how to help HIM acheive HIS goals ..." as 6:28 incorrectly and paranoidly stated.

It's nowhere in the documents you posted the link to. What ARE there are questions designed to help kids think critically about the content of the speech. The assumption is (a la Lincoln) that in order for an address to be good, the speaker has to ask the audience to DO something good. Otherwise, it's just empty words. So the lesson guides, were just that, GUIDES, simplified for elementary school children to help them think about what they heard.

It's nice to be able to speak with FACTS to support you, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

DON'T MENTION GEORGE BUSH?

You are going to rail against the current administration but say, "Don't alk about my guy!!???!!!"

That is soooooooooo lame.

Anonymous said...

Are any of you liberals going to answer any of my questions????

Anonymous said...

Easy there, 6:54. Don't get your panties in a wad, now.

I didn't mean you CAN'T talk about Bush. I was just wanting someone to tell me why I should support Obama WITHOUT railing against Bush.

Bush did A LOT of things I don't agree with and I would be the first to point those out. I just find it funny that NO ONE NO ONE NO ONE has been able to tell me one positive thing that Obama has done for our country so far. The main line of defense for our president is to dog the past president and that does NOTHING to make me want to support him.

And I would just like to point out that I gave you an opportunity to defend our president twice now and you have only dogged the last president. Further proving my point. So thank you for that.

Anonymous said...

One thing, as you asked, without dogging George Bush, that Obama has done for this country:

1. Broken the chain of (mostly) old, (mostly) rich, and (completely) white guys in the Presidency, thereby giving inspiration to millions of African American adults and their children.

Here's more, while I'm thinking about it:
2. Rising from lowly state via strong family guidance, responsibility and hard work. True example of American Dream at work.

3. Stimulus cash which the Wall Street Journal says helped progress the economy beyond what it would have otherwise. That's not me, that's a conservative economic paper, who, I think, know what they're talking about.

4. Completely refrained from killing all the unborn babies.

5. Likewise completely refrained from taking away all the guns from law-abiding citizens.

6. Reduced the number of troops in Iraq, while raising the number of troops in Afghanistan. (You know, if you actually WANT to catch OBL.)

That's six. And not one crack on Bush.

Anonymous said...

Good one's, 7:49.

But you forgot
7. brought back the rule of the Constitution to the office of the vice president. Because Cheney stated once that the VP is not really part of the executive or legislative branches of government, which is directly against the Constitution (not dogging, just fact. And its not against Bush, anyway.) So Obama brings balance back to the branches of government.

Anonymous said...

I am 6:54. Other than this, 6:54 was my only post today.

I am curious about how many different readers/posters there are in these discussions. It may be 6 people yelling at each other.

And leave my panties out of it, thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

7:49

1. I'll assume you are racist

2. Special interest groups and the color of his skin got him there. What has he done for our country?

3. The economy would have reset itself without the stimulus money. Have you found the magic tree that that stimulus money grows on? Several generations will be paying for it through taxes.

4. What a stupid answer. One of the Czars wants to have control of the population. That includes forced abortions. He's even admitted it!

5. Have you not seen the current legislation to take guns away??

6. What will be your comment when we have to go into Iran?

Anonymous said...

9:38 again. Ok, the flag is not a person. Very good point though. The flag is a symbol of our nation that was formed "under God." Look, that video is not something that is getting me fired up! I didn't watch it and freak out. The celebrity factor annoys me just the same. Am I saying I don't watch anything with celebs on it!? No, just wanted you all to know I got the heebeegeebee's a tad from watching it! I didn't want that played for the school, which it wasn't. My kids still just watch qubo and OETA so I'm not overly worried about them with this stuff.

Very different political ideas? I'm Republican if that is "very different" but I have never stated or made a list (like what is going on now) about what I believe. I see good in both sides and choose not to dog the other! I would hope you were the same, and if so...we sound alike!

Anonymous said...

well said 7:23

Anonymous said...

9:34 --

1. I’m a racist because I pointed out the historical FACTS? Um, check out the history of our beloved country. MOST of our presidents have been older, richer and (if their portraits aren’t lying) WHITE! How is that racist to point that out? But if you want to talk about racism, check your response to #2.

2. My answer wasn’t about his presidency. My answer was about his life before the presidency. Strong family and hard work brought him up from poverty and allowed him to achieve. There were no special interest groups helping him to Harvard, and I don’t think the color of his skin mattered except to roll the dice against him most of his life. And just because YOU assume skin color means the chip is on YOUR shoulder, pale face. You resent him. That’s sad. He’s a great example of what Americans of any genre can achieve through hard work and responsibility. (And name a politician who ISN’T helped out by special interest groups. Duh.)

3. The economy would have reset itself without the stimulus money? Yeah. Eventually. The WSJ article doesn’t deny that. Just gives credit for helping out sooner.

4. Forced abortions? That sounds serious. Give proof, please. I’d like to see your facts.

5. Have you read the 2nd Amendment? No possible way the government can take away your guns without ANOTHER Constitutional Amendment. You’re letting people scare you. Use your brain and find out how your own government works.

6. What will be my comment when we have to go into Iran? Ask me when we’re IN Iran. But answer was a good one.

Anonymous said...

Please google:
Czar forced abortions

John Holdren would be his name and he is the the Science Czar.

Care to google Van Jones? The former Green Czar? Self proclaimed communist. Fox News seems to be the only news outlet asking questions about him. Does it not concern you that the other news outlets ignore these guys?? Did you see on whatever news channel you watch that he resigned this weekend? Did they say why? About the only thing they will say about him is that he called Republicans Assholes. lol

In all honesty, I'm not racist. I have come across a great deal of people that voted for Obama only because he was black (at least 1/2). There were a great deal of black voters that came out and voted for the first time because of that fact. You and I both know that it is true.

Yes, you are correct that all politicians have special interest groups helping get them voted into office. My concern is the radicals that Obama has surrounded himself with. I do not agree with the people that he is surrounding himself with and in one debate with McCain he said you can tell what his values and policies are by the people he surrounds himself with. So, that's what I'm doing.

As far as the guns go, there is lots of legislation going on behind the scenes. Just google it and you'll find it. Gun sales have skyrocketed because of the fear of the government trying to take away the people's guns. At least we agree that the government should not (at the rate they are going, they will try) though.

This does tie in why I don't want him talking to my kids, and yes, I did watch his speech and it was great and it was harmless.

7:23

Anonymous said...

Hey, 11:36! I found the Holdren thing about forced abortions.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=103707

The article says that in 1977 (thirty-two years ago!) Holdren mentioned mandatory abortions as one way to help control worldwide population boom, "when many scientists were alarmed by predictions of harmful environmental effects of human population growth."

He advocated a police force to enforce pop. control laws, too. Called it a Planetary Regime.

I'll tell you, I would be much more worried about this if it had happened last week or even last year. But 32 years ago? Come on.

In the same article, Holdren admits at his confirmation hearings, that government's role is NOT optimal population control.

I think we should be willing to allow for some growth of understanding and maturity in someone who made some alarmist statements three decades ago, who has now stated he was wrong, and that there are better options to help control population.

Wouldn't you want the same grace?

But right wing media takes stuff like this and blows it way out of proportion to scare people and discredit them for political points.

Yeah, I got Van Jones, too. And not that I'm a communist, but you have to understand the philosophy. Van Jones has always fought for better lives and more opportunities for the poor and exploited workers -- this is Marxist at base, communism in its purest philosophical, politically undefiled form. I mean, if you're in favor of creating better working and living conditions for poor people, we could accuse you of communism, too.

It's when everybody gets all "Comrade this" and "Comrade that" that we should get nervous. Probably not so much when we're trying to improve lives at the bottom of the social pyramid.