Thursday, October 1, 2009

Do you think the cervical cancer vaccine is a smart step toward preventing cancer?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

No. I think it gives children (yes, the 13 year olds being targeted for this vaccine are CHILDREN) the false sense of security to have unprotected sex with whomever they please. This vaccine only helps prevent one small virus that has the potential to lead to cervical cancer. The press surrounding this vaccine make it seem like a cure-all for STDs. It's not. Not to mention the fact that the long term affects of this drug are unknown!! The best prevention/"vaccine" for beating cervical cancer- abstinance. No sex outside of marriage. One partner.

Anonymous said...

No, but I find it funny that a lot of people who are "pro-circumcision" for the reason that it reduces the spread of HIV and STD's are against this vaccine. Why is it that we should preach to girls about abstinence and not do anything medical to them but for boys we should cut their foreskin off and not worry about the abstinence lecture? Just interesting to me....

Anonymous said...

Yes. The thing about HPV is that it can lay dormant for 10 years. Men have no symptoms, but can be carriers. I was diagosed with HPV after the birth of my third child and after having been married for many years. I went for regular exams and it was not caught...by the time it was, I had precancerous cells.

As parents our job is to protect our children and communicate with them about this vaccine and sex in general.

I will add; however, that I do feel there needs to be more testing done on this vaccine, and I am not 100% sure that we know all of the potential risks/side effects.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts are similar 8:08. Although I haven't felt the media has pushed this as fix all for all STD.

8:17, I am not trying to be judgmental or get things riled up around here, but I am curious how many sexual partners you and your husband have had.

Anonymous said...

I think it is a smart step toward preventing cervical cancer. If I had a daughter I would currently not be inclined to have her do the vaccine because I don't think there have been enough long term studies done on the vaccine.
I tested positive for HPV a few years ago and it has been a nightmare ever sense. I have had surgery done and a few biopsies done and now I go to the Dr on a quarterly basis. The Dr will cut out the precancerous cells, but with in a year they grow back.
If the proper research is done on this vaccine long term included and there seems to be little side effects then yes if I have a daughter she will do the vaccine. I wouldn't want her to go through what I have when there is a preventative vaccine out there.
I will make sure she is aware this is only for a few strains of HPV and she can still end up with it if she chooses to sleep around. I’m not only go to assume that she sleeps around but I don’t know who she will marry and I am for sure not going to know his past partners so I will try to protect her from herself and her potential husband.

Anonymous said...

I'm not 8:17 or 9:41 but it doesn't matter how many partners! My cousin got HPV by her first and only partner other than husband. They dated for a while and he only had one previous partner (who must have been infected). The guy had no clue he had it.

I don't think anyone is going to teach their daughters to have sex outside of marriage. I'll talk openly about pro's of waiting and con's of not. But the stats of girls, even highly involved in the youth group, of waiting until marriage are not good. Even if your daughter waits, if she marries a guy who had only one previous partner...she could get it. I know a friend of mine that is a preacher and stayed a virgin. He married a girl who was previously engaged that did have sex with her fiancee. One month after they were married, she found out she had an STD. Huge blow to this awesome Christian couple. I may be having my daughter get this vaccine, but I don't have to worry about it for 10 years or so!

Anonymous said...

There are over 130 different HPV types. Although the vaccine promotes covering the 2 most common causes of cervical cancer which are sexually transmitted, it does actually cover other types of HPV. Hopefully we are all getting yearly PAP smears to detect cervical cancer. I know I would rather prevent cancer than detect it after the fact. As a 30 something single adult, I know that I may in fact someday marry a man with a sexual past. He could have been exposed to HPV and pass it to me. My parents did a wonderful job instilling morals and values in me but I know they would have wanted to protect me against the chance of cancer if the vaccine had been available when I was younger.

Anonymous said...

The last news clip that I read about this vaccine was about a girl who was trying to become a US citizen and they were requiring her to have this vaccine and she was refusing it b/c of her religious views.

According to that article the vaccine only protects for about 5 years anyway.

At this point in time I would not have my daughter receive this vaccine. It's just too new. If I knew it was 100 percent safe, I'd gladly give her the shot.

My kids don't know what any of their shots are for right now anyway, they just know that they keep them from getting really sick. Why would a girl need to know what the shot was for anyway?

Anonymous said...

Does it help prevent disease? Then good.

Anonymous said...

Well you don't give this shot to five year olds! When they are 15, they will be able to look it up on the internet and find out what it is for.

Anonymous said...

Those commercials for the vaccine crack me up!

If I was a kid, I would think it was a disease you get by breathing, etc.

Anonymous said...

I would give it to my daughter. I would teach her abstinance. I have a friend who got it from her husband. This friend was a virgin when they married, she knew he was not. She didn't test positive with it until their 8th year of marriage. It can be dormant, as previously stated.
I am curious, those of you saying 'It's too new' are you giving your kids the H1N1 shot? That shot is even newer and it was fast tracted through testing. At least the HPV vaccine went through proper testing.

Anonymous said...

No, I do not plan to give my kiddos the H1N1 shot. Nor do I plan to give them the HPV vaccine.