Thursday, August 6, 2009

Should small businesses be required to provide health care to full time employees?

37 comments:

Anonymous said...

We should all be responsible for our own health insurance, like auto, home, flood and other insurances.

Anonymous said...

I'm divided on this question. On one hand I feel like if you are a responsible employer you will provide health insurance for you full-time employees. However, the insurance system today is so overpriced and the policies that small businesses can afford pretty much cover nothing at all, if I were a small business owner I would feel like I were just throwing away my money.

Anonymous said...

i 100% agree with 639

Anonymous said...

You're responsible for your auto insurance because you chose to purchase a car.

You're responsible for your home insurance because you chose to purchase a home.

So you should be responsible for your health insurance because you chose to...uhm...live.

Wait, maybe there's something different about health insurance.

Anonymous said...

I think that if you work full time, regardless of the size of the business, health insurance should be offered to you. It is your choice after that to decide if you want to participate in it.

Anonymous said...

I think it should be up to the business as to whether or not they provide healthcare. We have an option to choose where we work, so if you need a job with health insurance then that is what you will look for.
As I have seen in a company I do contract work for, that does not offer health insurance their group of employees do not take the job whole heartedly and they have a pretty high turn over rate. I think by having a company and not offering health insurance you are going to have a group of people working for you who want just a job and not a career. Now I know everyone who has a job that doesn’t receive health benefits is not going to fit into that category, but a lot of people will.
To be a competitive company in the job market and to try and get the best employees a company will offer what they can afford to do. The company I work for full time offers health insurance to us and they pay 100% of it if you are single. If you are married they pay 100% of yours, and 50% or your spouse till you have worked 3 years. If you are married and with a family I want to say after 3 years as well they pay 100% of everyone in your family even if you have a whole clan of children. The reason the company offers us this package, is because we are small (48 employees), we don’t have eye benefits, and we don’t receive any stock options like many of the other companies in our industry (we are not publicly traded). They want to be competitive in the job market and the insurance is one of the things they can afford to do for us. Which I am very grateful for!!

Anonymous said...

So, 6:39 and 7:42, are you self insured?

Anonymous said...

6:39 here, yes we are.

Anonymous said...

This is a complicated question. I wonder if 6:39 and 7:42 are self insured as well. The problem for folks who are not covered by group insurance is that self-coverage is expensive and usually does not cover much (for instance many individual plans do not have maternity coverage).

The reason this is a hard issue is that our health system is set up in such a way that if you do not have health insurance you cannot afford good health care and if you do not work for a company that provides health insurance you likely can't get good coverage.

The problem isn't small businesses, it is the whole system!

Anonymous said...

Group insurance for our small business is over $3000 a month. That covers: three employees and one spouse. That is crazy!

We would love to offer it to all empolyees, but we would go out of business paying for their insurance.

To cover a family of 4 with no real health problems it is $900 per month.

Anonymous said...

I think this is tricky. I agree to be competative, a company should offer some sort of health benefits, but I also know that many small business owners when they first start out are lucky if they break even the first couple of years. I think where small businesses are concerned, if the company is doing well financially, then the responsible thing for the owner to do is provide health benefits (if for no other reason than his employees helped to make his business successful). But I think if you lump all small business owners together and say that they are all REQUIRED to provide health benefits, then you're just going to put a lot of struggling small businesses out of business and keep some other potential small businesses from ever starting in the first place. That's not right either.

Anonymous said...

742 here - i am insured under my company. HOWEVER- i believe that if you are a small business...like own your own business you can do whatever the hell you want to with it. I work in the healthcare system and health care is a privilege - which many people take advantage of

Anonymous said...

We own our own business, we have 5 people currently working for us and I gurantee they get paid better than anyone else out there doing the same job!

We will Not Ever offer them health insurance. Like 9:25 said, it's over $900 for my husband and I a month!?! For us, it would be well over $2500 to add any kids we decide to have onto it.

So, even though I know they aren't spending the $ on Insurance, Conscientiously, I feel better paying our guys a little more so they CAN have the option to get it.

I think Insurance is outrageous and way inflated!?! If you want people to have it, you're going to have to make it affordable! It's SO stupid that we can get junk food SO cheap, buy crappy food, SO cheap! Everything NOT good is Cheap! Something we need VERY badly is SO expensive!?!

Anonymous said...

And I agree with 10:07, it is a priviledge that SO many are taking advantage of. My son had to be rushed to the ER one nt and there were no beds left. Looked around and there was a guy that thought he had the flu (thanks for spreading it! Go HOME), a lady that got a paper cut but wanted to make sure it wasn't getting infected! We had to wait until my son started coughing up more blood before they kicked someone out so we could have the bed!?! This was on a Tuesday nt. All of these people could have been seen by their dr the next morning but, the ER visits are pd by the state, unlike dr visits. If drs were covered, we'd see so many less clogged ERs for piddly stuff.

Anonymous said...

We've managed to close All small factories, lose many big factories, choked out all the small farmers so the big farmers can take the farms to Mexico. We don't make anything in the USA anymore.

Why not take out All the small business with forcing them to pay 1/4 of their earnings on insurance? It's crazy!

We better start standing up for ourselves and demanding, better health care at a better price! Wonder why the unemployment raise is soaring? Look around, they've done their jobs well, the big corps are making billions while the little guy suffers and dies!

Anonymous said...

Yes, maybe with at least x number of employees. And the businesses should get a tax break for doing so. Do they currently?

Anonymous said...

?To cover a family of 4 with no real health problems it is $900 per month.

Do you have pre-existing conditions or something? That seems outrageous. If you go ehealthinsurance.com, a 30 year old female who doesn't smoke can get it for $55-76 bucks a month.... the same for a male. For a baby like %62 bucks a month. So a family of 4 should be around $375. Yes, that is with a high deductible, but that is saving money if you are paying 900 bucks a month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You could but the extra money in a savings account (that you would pay for the insurance) to pay for the deductible.

We pay a total of about $50 dollars a month for our insurance, with my husbands job and that includes dental, life, disability, etc.

Anonymous said...

To answer 1:29, we have anthem/blue cross and Yes! It is that much! It pays for ER visits, 80% of dr visits, Rx, eye, dental and even pregnancy! It costs us $897.84 a month for just me and my husband! We are both in really good health, no problems what so ever, under weight, young and passed physicals with flying colors. It would only be $450 if we lived in a bigger city but bc we live in the middle of know where, in order to cover our dr areas, we have to pay that! It's outrageous and NO I can NOT find cheaper coverage! I have looked and they don't cover our area of drs!

Anonymous said...

Does anyone have an HSA?

Anonymous said...

900 for our family of four and we shop it every year! Do you have this Einsurance?how easy are they to deal with and how much do they really cover? I find it hard to believe that you can get really good coverage for 12 months and only pay that.

Anonymous said...

I, in general, don't like the word REQUIRE. Especially when it's the government REQUIRING something.

Anonymous said...

self employeed. we do blue cross/blue s....husband and two kids, and it's $225 a month, $1000 deductible. that's SO much better than the small company I used to work for! $359 per pay period came out of my check TWICE A MONTH! check into paying for it by yourself!!!

Anonymous said...

No, the government should.

Anonymous said...

What? The government should provide it? Do you know how underfunded Medicaid is? Pretty sure the governement making a "bigger medicaid" is just going to be crazy. There is so much money wasted through medicaid and I don't think the governement should create another plan until they can get medicaid under control! While they are at it, go ahead and fix the food stamps program too. If you can go into 711and buy up the store with your food stamp card...THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG! Government isn't smart enough to handle anymore than what they got!!

Anonymous said...

I don't think 8:41 is being serious

Anonymous said...

If you are for Obama's health care plan(which many Dem's are not) then you would actually agree with 8:41, even if they were being sarcastic!

Anonymous said...

Why should they be "required" to provide YOU with anything?? If you don't like working for them, find ANOTHER PLACE TO WORK!

Anonymous said...

AMEN!?!

I don't think anyone should be complaining about no health insurance available! Be glad you've got a job!

Anonymous said...

"Find another place to work"

Come on, people, in case you haven't noticed, jobs ain't a growin' on trees these days.

Anonymous said...

2:33, There are plenty of "jobs" available, maybe it isn't the dream job, but it is a job!

Anonymous said...

8:41 here. Yes, I was serious.

Lots of countries manage to have QUALITY socialized medicine. (And I know firsthand, as I grew up in one of THOSE countries.) The American system is full of greed and corruption and probably too far gone to be fixed. I think it is atrocious that people don't receive the care they need.

But hey, I'm what most of you would consider a "flaming liberal" so you may as well ignore me.

Anonymous said...

Three words: HELL. NO.

Anonymous said...

3:09: Thank you. I couldn't have said it any better myself. There aren't enough "flaming liberals" on this blog... We don't even rank in the top twenty for our nation's healthcare system, so why woudn't we want to make some changes? I don't understand how so many Christians can be so against some kind of change in the system... single payer, socialized, govermnment sanctioned... whatever you want to call it.

What would Jesus do? Apparently he would be more concerned with making a profit than the actual well-being and health of the people.

Anonymous said...

I don't think that is it at all. People who have medicaid don't get quality treatment and its the government! Countries have actually adopted our ways and are doing better. I'm all for some change but not a one big government controlled healthcare system.

Anonymous said...

The government should provide it! HA! You must be smoking some crack. I agree with what others have said....the government can't handle what they already have, let's not add that power to them.

Anonymous said...

I think any employer who doesn't provide insurance to their employees is morally repugnant. You people, as usual, disgust me. Christian my fat rear end.

Anonymous said...

Now that went a little far! Some can't afford it so it's not an option. Has nothing to do with Christianity or morals. I'm sure every buisness would love to grow big enough to provide that, but every buisness has to start somewhere and they may not be able to. Sure, the government can make a plan for them if they want that is a cheap plan for basic high deductible insurance. If you have to have a job with benefits, only interview for those. Because economy is low, you may have to make do for now, but keep looking for one with benefits.