I agree with 7:07. Correct me if I'm wrong here but Cash for Clunkers gives money directly to the consumer. The bailout money for housing went to institutions.
I also agree with 7:07... there is a difference between losing your house, and voluntarily trading in your car. Did anyone see the list of top ten cars being traded in, and the top ten list of cars that were purchased with this program? People seem to be trading in gas guzzlers... for newer, more fuel efficient cars, that are reasonably priced. And I think that's a good thing. I don't think people are buying cars they can't afford... but this gives a boost to people who were thinking about trading in.
If I remember correctly, there was a debate a while back about global warming. It seemed like most of the A.T. bloggers weren't too concerned about the environment, so I can already see where this topic is headed...
I actually think this might be one program that is good. People are getting rid of gas guzzlers for more fuel efficient cars. This program is helping consumers save money on gas, major car companies boost sales, and eliminating some of the cars that were causing pollution. I heard on the news that one of the top car consumers are purchasing is a Ford Focus. This is a relative inexpensive car that has good gas mileage. For once the government and consumers are being smart.
The only problem I see is: Where are the tax $'s from gasoline going to get made up in? I am ALL for spending less on gas, but I don't appreciate being charged an extra $2,500 in taxes, when I buy a hybrid! My mom is on the list to order a Volt and that is what the dmv said they charge for hybrids bc they don't use much fuel so they have to tax it higher. Crazy! Why can't they figure something out to help those with gas guzzlers that need the room! I have 4 kids and gurantee you'll never see me in a Prius! LOL! Rednecks have figured out a way to run their trucks off of used cooking grease (Greasels) and my husbands friend has a hydrogen car that he's built. So, it can be done and it doesn't take a genius to do it! Why not focus more on what we've already created instead of procrastinating and 'looking toward tomorrow'!
Once the 'Cash for Clunkers' is over, are we going to be left with a TON of Repos of New vehicles? The housing market crashed bc of things like fanny mae and freddie mac forcing banks to lend to Everyone!
It back fired bc there is a reason people with good credit are allowed the Priviledge of owning newer things!
So, in this ?, it is the same. And I have to agree with the 1st poster! I know 2 people that went and bought BRAND new, $35,000 trucks and they can barely make the payments. But, there are loop holes and they HAVE to loan you the money one way or another, their intrest is sky high, but they don't care. They have a brand new truck, for now!
I'm confused on how many of you aren't figuring out the correlation? We all realize there are differences!! Of course losing a car isn't as serious...but that wasn't the question.
I do think it is a good and smart program for many people. However, it is causing people who would normally buy a used car for $5,000 buy a brand new car for a lot more. This could result in them not being able to pay the lone and losing the car and would have been better off never selling in the first place. I can see that happening, but hopefully they aren't giving loans out like crazy. I think the housing market and banks crashing realized they have to be a little stiffer with just handing out loans.
I don't really think it is completely a bad program (though I think they should have called it something other than cash for clunkers b/c a lot of people I know who have actual clunkers don't qualify since it's based off of gas milage and not the condition of the car). The one problem I do see is how it is affecting used car sales. Many used car dealers have been feeling the pinch b/c of this program.
Have any of you tried to get a loan lately? It's not as easy as it used to be...which is good. Seems that what caused the housing market crash is banks approving people for loans higher than what they actually could afford. There is no way I could have afforded the size of loan my bank approved me for when I bought my house. But I was smart enough to know what a could afford and not to think just because the bank told me I could afford it that I actually could.
From what I am seeing, lenders are not so quick to hand out money as they were in the past. And as previous posters pointed out, people are buying more affordable cars on this program. And the people I know who are taking advantage of this program, already knew they needed to do something about their vehicle and are just taking advantage of the opportunity. There are exceptions to every rule, but I think in general, people are being smart about this. And have you checked out the regulations on this program? It's all gas milage based.
I don't know where to subit questions - but here a a few for the future.
How man "true friends" do you have?
How much money to you spend on eating out each month?
How much do you spend (per child) on back to school clothes?
How much do you spend for x-mas each year? How many people do you have to buy for? How much of that is spent on your kids verses the rest of the people on your list?
Why be so negative, so cyncial, so jaded? Why not think, "Hey, this is stimulating the economy. It might work. People who were holding onto a gas guzzler for maybe one more year are getting a break-- good for them!"
So judgmental and mean to say that you bet that most of them will be repoed. Are you the same person who watches what others give? Oi!
We are planning to take advantage of this program. Our vehicle is now worth less than $2000, and if it weren't for Cash for Clunkers, we'd probably only get $1000 on trade-in. We've thought about this a lot, and we plan to do it when we have a little bit more money on hand to add toward the down payment. I'm thankful for the opportunity. It will be a good thing for us.
I think the "Cash for Clunkers" has been a good way to get the economy up and going. Will the same thing happen as the housing market crash?? Hopefully consumers and lenders have learned their lessons.
Most of these questions are now submitted. Please feel free to submit your question and see how others feel. Email me here with a subject line of "Anonymous Truth"
19 comments:
I am not sure what you are asking, but Cash For Clunkers is a joke. Why throw away perfectly good cars and go buy a car you can't afford??
I don't see how the two are comparable. There is a huge difference in losing a car and losing a house.
I agree with 7:07. Correct me if I'm wrong here but Cash for Clunkers gives money directly to the consumer. The bailout money for housing went to institutions.
I also agree with 7:07... there is a difference between losing your house, and voluntarily trading in your car. Did anyone see the list of top ten cars being traded in, and the top ten list of cars that were purchased with this program? People seem to be trading in gas guzzlers... for newer, more fuel efficient cars, that are reasonably priced. And I think that's a good thing. I don't think people are buying cars they can't afford... but this gives a boost to people who were thinking about trading in.
If I remember correctly, there was a debate a while back about global warming. It seemed like most of the A.T. bloggers weren't too concerned about the environment, so I can already see where this topic is headed...
I actually think this might be one program that is good. People are getting rid of gas guzzlers for more fuel efficient cars.
This program is helping consumers save money on gas, major car companies boost sales, and eliminating some of the cars that were causing pollution.
I heard on the news that one of the top car consumers are purchasing is a Ford Focus. This is a relative inexpensive car that has good gas mileage. For once the government and consumers are being smart.
The only problem I see is: Where are the tax $'s from gasoline going to get made up in? I am ALL for spending less on gas, but I don't appreciate being charged an extra $2,500 in taxes, when I buy a hybrid! My mom is on the list to order a Volt and that is what the dmv said they charge for hybrids bc they don't use much fuel so they have to tax it higher. Crazy! Why can't they figure something out to help those with gas guzzlers that need the room! I have 4 kids and gurantee you'll never see me in a Prius! LOL! Rednecks have figured out a way to run their trucks off of used cooking grease (Greasels) and my husbands friend has a hydrogen car that he's built. So, it can be done and it doesn't take a genius to do it! Why not focus more on what we've already created instead of procrastinating and 'looking toward tomorrow'!
I think what they are saying is:
Once the 'Cash for Clunkers' is over, are we going to be left with a TON of Repos of New vehicles? The housing market crashed bc of things like fanny mae and freddie mac forcing banks to lend to Everyone!
It back fired bc there is a reason people with good credit are allowed the Priviledge of owning newer things!
So, in this ?, it is the same. And I have to agree with the 1st poster! I know 2 people that went and bought BRAND new, $35,000 trucks and they can barely make the payments. But, there are loop holes and they HAVE to loan you the money one way or another, their intrest is sky high, but they don't care. They have a brand new truck, for now!
I'm confused on how many of you aren't figuring out the correlation? We all realize there are differences!! Of course losing a car isn't as serious...but that wasn't the question.
I do think it is a good and smart program for many people. However, it is causing people who would normally buy a used car for $5,000 buy a brand new car for a lot more. This could result in them not being able to pay the lone and losing the car and would have been better off never selling in the first place. I can see that happening, but hopefully they aren't giving loans out like crazy. I think the housing market and banks crashing realized they have to be a little stiffer with just handing out loans.
All in all, I THINK it will be good.
I don't really think it is completely a bad program (though I think they should have called it something other than cash for clunkers b/c a lot of people I know who have actual clunkers don't qualify since it's based off of gas milage and not the condition of the car). The one problem I do see is how it is affecting used car sales. Many used car dealers have been feeling the pinch b/c of this program.
Have any of you tried to get a loan lately? It's not as easy as it used to be...which is good. Seems that what caused the housing market crash is banks approving people for loans higher than what they actually could afford. There is no way I could have afforded the size of loan my bank approved me for when I bought my house. But I was smart enough to know what a could afford and not to think just because the bank told me I could afford it that I actually could.
From what I am seeing, lenders are not so quick to hand out money as they were in the past. And as previous posters pointed out, people are buying more affordable cars on this program. And the people I know who are taking advantage of this program, already knew they needed to do something about their vehicle and are just taking advantage of the opportunity. There are exceptions to every rule, but I think in general, people are being smart about this. And have you checked out the regulations on this program? It's all gas milage based.
All I can say is I wish we had a clunker to trade in. I think it is saving dealerships.
Oh, and 6:04, to qualify as a clunker, it can't, be definition, be a perfectly good car.
I don't know where to subit questions - but here a a few for the future.
How man "true friends" do you have?
How much money to you spend on eating out each month?
How much do you spend (per child) on back to school clothes?
How much do you spend for x-mas each year? How many people do you have to buy for? How much of that is spent on your kids verses the rest of the people on your list?
Click on Anonymous Truths at the top of the page and on the right, it says: Have a Burning Question? Submit it here....
Yes. You HAVE to buy a new car. I bet most people are financing them and they will be repossesed.
Why be so negative, so cyncial, so jaded? Why not think, "Hey, this is stimulating the economy. It might work. People who were holding onto a gas guzzler for maybe one more year are getting a break-- good for them!"
So judgmental and mean to say that you bet that most of them will be repoed. Are you the same person who watches what others give? Oi!
We are planning to take advantage of this program. Our vehicle is now worth less than $2000, and if it weren't for Cash for Clunkers, we'd probably only get $1000 on trade-in. We've thought about this a lot, and we plan to do it when we have a little bit more money on hand to add toward the down payment. I'm thankful for the opportunity. It will be a good thing for us.
I think the "Cash for Clunkers" has been a good way to get the economy up and going. Will the same thing happen as the housing market crash?? Hopefully consumers and lenders have learned their lessons.
ahh, that's more like it! way to rally, voices of reason!
Post a Comment