As long as all the tax payers don't mind their money being used for said drug testing (and home visiting as suggested by 8:46). Remember that everytime we come up with great ideas to monitor people's lives, we have to pay the price to do that.
Yes, but even paying that price might save money overall, because people might actually work more toward getting off welfare. I think random drug testing and annual or semi-annual home visits are wonderful ideas!
So what are we going to do then when we find out someone is taking a anti-anexity med or something else we don't approve of? I am not for drugs, I am not for welfare. We as Christians should be helping those who need it (not the goverment demanding us pay for those who don't want to work). Before you give someone a $5 on the street, are you going to demand they pee in a cup first? It is between us and God if we are giving and it is between them and God as to what they are doing with it.
Why would we not approve someone taking prescribed medication? I'm confused about your comment? I'm sorry you are not for welfare, but it isn't going away! Because it's not going away, and I am forced to pay for it, I wish they would regulate better.
It would cost money upfront, but many would probably lose benefits, making the overall pay out less. I want to help people who want it and need it but not those who abuse it and aren't trying to help themselves.
I think anti-anxiety meds, etc. are a little different. I think the idea here is testing for ILLEGAL drugs. And frankly, if they can find the money to pay for their drug habit (though I'll admit their methods for paying for them are not always the best) we as tax payers shouldn't be paying to provide for their other needs. I totally agree that as Christians we are called to help the needy, but I don't think enabling their problems are going to do them any good. Yes they need our help...but a different kind of help. My only reservation here is that I don't want to see their children suffer for the parents bad choices...but I also don't believe children should be left in homes with parents with drug (or alcohol) addictions.
As a child who was on welfare with a parent who used illegal drug....YES they should drug test parents My mother was not bad and I never went with out but yes DRUG DEALERS DO TAKE FOOD STAMPS!! even with the new system of the card they just get the wifes together to go shopping!!!! but my sister is on welfare has 3 children under the age of 3 and her children do go with out so she has drugs. you are right it is are responsablity as christians to help take care of them... My sister has been offered help by both me and my mother but she does not want it because it means she has to take care of her own children and that she cant do the drugs and she only has a baby sitter for working not parting... (i should also mention that she was adopted from the system her self )
Just to clarify, "welfare" is a broad term which includes food stamps, Medicaid, TANF, Social Security, SSI, SSDI, Medicare and many other "safety net" programs. I personally don't want to see my grandparents have to take random drug tests just because they receive Medicare and SSI (both of which are welfare programs).
The question was probably aimed at recepients of TANF which folks normally think of as welfare. But welfare is much more broad than that.
10:22 AGAIN...Maybe I'm the one on drugs and I need to read my own comments better. To clarify myself better, I do not think that children should be left in homes with parents who are drug addicts. What I do think is really sad about our current system is how parents can receive assistance that is supposed to be designed to help their children and they take advantage of it and their childrent still get neglected. I also have to say that I have known families on assistance, who were very responsible with it and it helped them when times were tough. Sadly there are too many out there that take advantage of it.
3:03, I agree. I know there are people out there that use the programs responsible. They use it for a short amount of time, until they get back on their feet. Sadly, all we hear about are the people who use the programs to buy big screen TVs, drugs, and Coach purses...while their kids are hungry and living in an apt with no heat.
I didn't realize until recently that the state will go after your possessions after you die if you were on medicare. My grandmother is ailing, which is how I learned of this. Here's my gripe: my grandmother was widowed fairly early in life, and so she worked HARD for a very long time; she also cared for my great-grandfather when he was aging and his health was failing; how fair is it for this woman, a person who has paid her taxes her entire life, to not be able to pass belongings down to her children and grandchildren because Medicare has the right to claim those things as payment?!
I am so glad none of you are responsible for my salvation nor are responsible for dishing out grace. I recently found this site through my spouse and I am disgusted. Praise God for grace because we all need it!
Oh, I would so agree with being disgusted if you browsed through other topics like SAHM post! However, this topic is nothing! I am all about helping people, giving to the needy, etc. What is so terrible about a drug test? We have to be wise with our money. If there is a way to help people that does not enable them, I say try it. Go for it.
Honestly, I would be okay if the public school system did an annual random drug test for the kids' parents who go to public schools. It's free education given to us. I'd pee in a cup once a year for free education! Because I don't have anything to be worried about!
I think if you foster children you should have random checks to. Terrible things happen to these kids in foster care. Many are neglect and drugs which can easily be detected in a random home visit to collect a cup of pee!
Most of these questions are now submitted. Please feel free to submit your question and see how others feel. Email me here with a subject line of "Anonymous Truth"
24 comments:
If in my current career, I have to be subject to a random drug test at anytime it should be no different for a welfare receipent.
YES
Most definitely!
That is a great idea!
Yes yes yes yes yes. I would even go as far as a random annual home visit also.
As long as all the tax payers don't mind their money being used for said drug testing (and home visiting as suggested by 8:46). Remember that everytime we come up with great ideas to monitor people's lives, we have to pay the price to do that.
Yes, but even paying that price might save money overall, because people might actually work more toward getting off welfare. I think random drug testing and annual or semi-annual home visits are wonderful ideas!
HELL YES!
So what are we going to do then when we find out someone is taking a anti-anexity med or something else we don't approve of? I am not for drugs, I am not for welfare. We as Christians should be helping those who need it (not the goverment demanding us pay for those who don't want to work). Before you give someone a $5 on the street, are you going to demand they pee in a cup first? It is between us and God if we are giving and it is between them and God as to what they are doing with it.
Why would we not approve someone taking prescribed medication? I'm confused about your comment? I'm sorry you are not for welfare, but it isn't going away! Because it's not going away, and I am forced to pay for it, I wish they would regulate better.
It would cost money upfront, but many would probably lose benefits, making the overall pay out less. I want to help people who want it and need it but not those who abuse it and aren't trying to help themselves.
I think anti-anxiety meds, etc. are a little different. I think the idea here is testing for ILLEGAL drugs. And frankly, if they can find the money to pay for their drug habit (though I'll admit their methods for paying for them are not always the best) we as tax payers shouldn't be paying to provide for their other needs. I totally agree that as Christians we are called to help the needy, but I don't think enabling their problems are going to do them any good. Yes they need our help...but a different kind of help. My only reservation here is that I don't want to see their children suffer for the parents bad choices...but I also don't believe children should be left in homes with parents with drug (or alcohol) addictions.
Don't the children of drug addicts deserve food too?
Do drug addicts use welfare money to feed their kids?
I don't know many dealers who take food stamps. maybe that is a new program they are starting. hey, the economy IS tough.
10:46 am - I think the kids would probably be removed by CPS if there was a positive. Or the parents might be given a sec chance too.
As a child who was on welfare with a parent who used illegal drug....YES they should drug test parents My mother was not bad and I never went with out but yes DRUG DEALERS DO TAKE FOOD STAMPS!! even with the new system of the card they just get the wifes together to go shopping!!!! but my sister is on welfare has 3 children under the age of 3 and her children do go with out so she has drugs. you are right it is are responsablity as christians to help take care of them... My sister has been offered help by both me and my mother but she does not want it because it means she has to take care of her own children and that she cant do the drugs and she only has a baby sitter for working not parting... (i should also mention that she was adopted from the system her self )
Just to clarify, "welfare" is a broad term which includes food stamps, Medicaid, TANF, Social Security, SSI, SSDI, Medicare and many other "safety net" programs. I personally don't want to see my grandparents have to take random drug tests just because they receive Medicare and SSI (both of which are welfare programs).
The question was probably aimed at recepients of TANF which folks normally think of as welfare. But welfare is much more broad than that.
10:22 here. I MEANT to say SHOULDN'T. My bad.
10:22 AGAIN...Maybe I'm the one on drugs and I need to read my own comments better. To clarify myself better, I do not think that children should be left in homes with parents who are drug addicts. What I do think is really sad about our current system is how parents can receive assistance that is supposed to be designed to help their children and they take advantage of it and their childrent still get neglected. I also have to say that I have known families on assistance, who were very responsible with it and it helped them when times were tough. Sadly there are too many out there that take advantage of it.
3:03, I agree. I know there are people out there that use the programs responsible. They use it for a short amount of time, until they get back on their feet. Sadly, all we hear about are the people who use the programs to buy big screen TVs, drugs, and Coach purses...while their kids are hungry and living in an apt with no heat.
This may be a bit off-topic, but here goes...
I didn't realize until recently that the state will go after your possessions after you die if you were on medicare. My grandmother is ailing, which is how I learned of this. Here's my gripe: my grandmother was widowed fairly early in life, and so she worked HARD for a very long time; she also cared for my great-grandfather when he was aging and his health was failing; how fair is it for this woman, a person who has paid her taxes her entire life, to not be able to pass belongings down to her children and grandchildren because Medicare has the right to claim those things as payment?!
It is saddening and frustrating.
I am so glad none of you are responsible for my salvation nor are responsible for dishing out grace. I recently found this site through my spouse and I am disgusted. Praise God for grace because we all need it!
@8:23 . . . 'Disgusted'? An argument or reasons would be helpful.
So would shelving the baptized condescension of the 'Praise God for grace' comment.
Oh, I would so agree with being disgusted if you browsed through other topics like SAHM post! However, this topic is nothing! I am all about helping people, giving to the needy, etc. What is so terrible about a drug test? We have to be wise with our money. If there is a way to help people that does not enable them, I say try it. Go for it.
Honestly, I would be okay if the public school system did an annual random drug test for the kids' parents who go to public schools. It's free education given to us. I'd pee in a cup once a year for free education! Because I don't have anything to be worried about!
I think if you foster children you should have random checks to. Terrible things happen to these kids in foster care. Many are neglect and drugs which can easily be detected in a random home visit to collect a cup of pee!
Post a Comment