Monday, August 24, 2009

What are your opinions on the death penalty?

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

depends on what it is for....but I think we should still use it...My sister was raped when she was 8 the guy was supposed to serve 25 years but was released last week after only serving 11 years!! I think those guys should get it...I would even go so far to say they should make it the only sentanceing for that kind of crime..because those guys dont just do it once....(and if you have any rude comments please keep them to your self) you have your oppinon I have mine!!!!

Anonymous said...

I am not against it.

Anonymous said...

I am against it

Anonymous said...

I know there will be all kinds of rationalizations in this discussion, but let's face it, it's taking another person's life. It seems to me that that's God's job.

Since it does very little to the actual crime rate, the main point of the death penalty seems to be retribution. And I just can't justify that.

Anonymous said...

The death penalty is neither cost effective nor a significant deterrent. Thirty years in a cell costs less than the prosecution of a single capital offence. Only the executed criminal is deterred from future crimes. Additionally, recent DNA testing has resulted in the overthrowing of an alarming number of capital convictions. Do we need to add the execution of innocent prisoners to our collective blood guilt?

Anonymous said...

I think we should use it more often than what we do. I am for it 100%.

Anonymous said...

I think the death penalty is casting judgment in an irreversible way. I believe God is the only one to make that decision.

Matthew 5:38 speaks of forgiveness and specifically references the Old Testament law of "eye for an eye". There are over 55 scriptures that speak of forgiveness in the New Testament. And then Christ died for us, which puts a whole new spin on a life for a life.

Anonymous said...

I am for it.

Anonymous said...

8:35... would you feel the same if some raped and murdered your mother sister or daughter???? how would you go about forgiving that person???

Anonymous said...

I just think we need to lock any person (for murder or rape or anything against a child) in a small cell with a bed, sink, toilet, no window, no outdoor time, no socilaizing NOTHING!!! Let them go insane in a small tiny cell for the REST of their lives, NO getting out early OR they may CHOOSE the death penalty.

Anonymous said...

You can forgive someone but they still might have to suffer the conquences of their actions. There are natural consquences too, you can sleep around with all sorts of guys and ask God to forgive you, but you still might have to suffer the natural consquences of being pregnant or diseased filled. You have been forgiven, but still have to suffer the conquences.

Anonymous said...

I used to be strongly for the death penalty, but as I've gotten older, my opinions have changed. I have to agree with 6:34 and 6:40. I can't imagine being one of the people on death row who was cleared after DNA evidence found them not guilty.

Of course, I think it's ridiculous that rapists and sick people who committ crimes against children are paroled before completing even half their sentence... because 6:06is right, these people probably won't just do it once, they do strike again. Our justice system certainly has it's problems.

But to take a human life? The evidence better be 100%.

Anonymous said...

I am against it, 100%. Although I would probably have the *feeling* that someone who hurt my daughter or sister should die, I cannot reconcile that with how God wants my heart to be.
And the actual victim of a violent crime is not the only victim; the family and close friends are certainly victimized as well, and my heart goes out to them. But it remains important to guard your heart against bitterness, rage, hatred, and malice. And those emotions can be consuming and overpowering, and that just moves away from the call of Christ.
What did we do to him? How does he repay us?

Anonymous said...

I don't understand how it is legal. It is murder to kill them. That being said, it cost a lot of money to keep them in jail also. I realize some people can not be rehabilitated, but I believe some can.

Many that rape were sexually abused themselves. Some are way too far to be helped, some need intensive therapy. Even people who murder someone could have snapped, been very depressed and desperate. They may have a mental disorder that was untreated? I don't even like life in prison. I think we should always try therapy and medication along with years of jail, but then an ankle monitor if they seem to be doing well. Death should absolutely be left for the ones that are severe and that doctors say can not be treated.

Anonymous said...

That its not used near enough.

OK Chick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

8:35 here

I believe forgiving even the most reprehensible crime is up to me and between me and my God. Killing the offender does nothing to heal my heart, as 10:23 said.

And I think forgiveness for something like that would require a conscious decision that I would have to make every day when I got out of bed until I began to feel it in my heart.

Anonymous said...

I'm curious as to whether or not anyone who has commented here as actually served on a jury that gave someone the death penalty. My husband has. It was a brutal and senseless crime and the defendant had already served prison time and obviously not been rehabilitated. I'm sure many of that have been in the Edmond area long would know what murder I was referring to if I went into case specifics.
My point is, we can't ever know what we would think about a certain situation until we are in it. I think we should approach the death penalty with extreme prudence and caution, but also accept that in some cases it is warranted.
If anyone here has read "The Innocent Man" by John Grisham, I highly recommend it.

Anonymous said...

People always say well what if someone killed/raped your kid/sibling but does anyone ever think what if it's your kid/sibling who killed/raped someone? Most likely because they don't want to believe someone in their family is capable of a horrible crime but criminals are people too and they have made bad choices. Yes they need to face consequences for their actions but I can't say that killing them is the right consequence.

Anonymous said...

The government has the right to carry out the death penalty. Christians, however, should have no part in it.

God gives the gov't certain rights, but those don't necessarily transfer to Christians.

To those arguing for situational ethics (you can't know until you're "in it"), I know where you're coming from. But this is why we have these discussions now. So that when we're "in it", we'll have a good framework of thought.

Anonymous said...

i used to be 100% for it. i still think sometimes it is justified and that is not lightly said. it is a very serious subject. forgivness is one thing, facing the consequences of your actions is another. and then there is abortion...

Anonymous said...

5:35, I find your last statement so I have often wondered how people who are so adamantly for outlawing abortion support the death penalty.

What I *think* their answer would be is that the unborn baby is an innocent life and the criminal has given up that right. But I am truly, and not sneeringly at all, interested in how the two ideas coexist in people's minds.

Anonymous said...

I don't think the death penalty is used enough! If people were actually given the death penalty and then put death in a reasonable amount of time, say within a few weeks of the sentence, then the death penalty would definitely be a deterrant to future criminals. But as it stands now people stay on death row for years and may never be executed. It's ridiculous!!

Anonymous said...

3:06 pm- Im the one that said what if it was your mother ect and yes I do have family member who have done those things (even to me) and my response is still the same...they need to pay for the actions that they have committed if it means sitting be hind bars for the rest of their lifes or being but to death.... honestly if more sex offenders where but to death instead of give a vacation (free room and board and 3 meals a day with full medical benifits) maybe just maybe it would happen less...oh yeah their is also the free education they recive if they want it!!!

Anonymous said...

7:33

You seem like a cynic. I don't know if you claim Jesus as your Lord. What are his attitudes toward sinners?

I am not saying accept these criminals into your life, but I am suggesting that you take a hard look at your attitudes toward them as being equally worthy as you are of the gospel of grace.

I don't think many criminals view incarceration as a freebie. Really.