Thursday, August 13, 2009

What era would you have liked to live in?

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

This one. I know that's not a creative answer, but it's the pagmatic one.

Prairie days? Not for me.
Civil War era? No Southern Belle here.

Although I would like to be able to witness important moments throughout world history, I just can't think of a better era, especially considering creature comforts and medical advances.

Anonymous said...

I would have liked to have lived during the land run.

Anonymous said...

either the 50's 60's or 70's.

50's - wearing poodle skirts and going to scck hops sounds fun

60 -70 - well that just seems cool -

Anonymous said...

I'll take anytime after tampons were invented.

Anonymous said...

I would have LOVED to live in the days where cars were bigger and faster! Late 60s to 70s. No one cared about anything! It was just about drag racing and having fun. Boy, our parents tell of some fun stories, I'd love to relive with them! Gas was a quarter!

Also the days before politics and government stuck their nose in every inch of our lives!

Anonymous said...

I know it is romaticized, but the era of the 1930s and 40s. Failling in love with a solider, getting married young, having kids, knowing your neighbors better, being more content with what you have, letting your kids roam free around town (and not having to worry or worry that other parents think you are horrible for letting them do so). Sounds good to me.

Anonymous said...

I would say anytime that was more family oriented. No technology and just playing and conversing with friends and family.

The "slop pail" back in the days would have been rough! Haha, I agree with 8:43 but since that was all they knew...i'm sure it wouldn't have been a big deal!

Anonymous said...

I'd say a more family oriented time without the prevalence of media and ipods and Wiis and Hannah Montana.

It is so hard to battle against those things.

Anonymous said...

I think 1950s. It seems more family oriented and idealistic. Kids could run and play outside without the fears we have today. I would love to have the waist size of June Cleaver and the pearls as I vacuum...I mean who wouldn't feel pretty? Plus I would get a lot more done without a computer!

Anonymous said...

Seriously? You would want to live in the 50's? Do you not know what was happening then?!?!?!

Black people were not allowed at alot (if not all) of churches........ How can someone want to go back to a time era like that?

Did you know that colleges such as Abilene Christian U, Oklahoma Christian U, Harding U) refused to admit people!!!!!!

WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU WANT TO BE PART OF A SOCIETY LIKE THAT?!?!??!?!?

I am white, by the way.

Anonymous said...

11:14 -- Just move out to the country or a small town (there are tons left) and you can let your child run free.

Anonymous said...

12:39 here ----> I meant to say that colleges refused to admit people on the color of the skin.

Anonymous said...

12:39, good grief, you honestly think that person who commented that she wants to live in the 50s is a racist and doesn't want black people to go to church??!! And not everyone in the 1950s was evil by the way

Anonymous said...

12:39 - Whoa, you completely misread her/his answer. She was just saying that in the 1950's, people were treated alot differently because of the color of their skin. She was not assuming they were racist. You are putting words into her mouth.

I think if you asked a black person this, they would not have answered the same.......

Anonymous said...

I don't think that someone who wants to live in the 1950's is racist.

But think about, why would you want to live in that time frame? Seriously?

Let's say instead of talking about time frames we are talking about places. Say, there is still a city in the US that lives like the 1950's with the "pearls", "family values" as well as the discrimination where black people cannot even apply at certain jobs, go to churches, even see certain doctors and dentists.

Wouldn't you think it was horrible that someone wanted to live in that place? (Obviously you would no doubt, no one would want to live there if they had half a conscious!)

Well that is the same way as saying you want to live in the 1950's.

Why would you want to raise your children in a society like that? Seriously!??!?!?!??!

I'm being truthful......

Let's not forget some of the other horrible things that happened like babies with special needs or even just because they looked funny and has physical problems were LOCKED AWAY in institutions.'

Why would you want to live in that time frame?

Anonymous said...

You do know if you lived in the 50's you wouldn't have the internet right?

Anonymous said...

Well still have racism today, by the way. Especially in our churches. Do you think your church would have hired your minister if his was black?

Anonymous said...

Oops, if "he was black". Also do you think your church would hire your youth minister if he was black? (Please answer honestly)

Anonymous said...

We have an African American youth minister at our predominantly white church. And one of our elders is part of a mixed race marriage.

I love it. It is how we should be. I actually have my sights set on a girl from a different family who is half black half samoan for my son, who is as white as they get. Her mom thinks it would be great, too!

That would not be acceptable in many other eras. I am thankful for these days. God has given us this time to live. None of us would probably do so great in another time, our work is NOW.

Think souls!

Anonymous said...

I'd want to live in the 60's. I would've made a great hippie. Long hair parted down the middle with a headband, long flowy skirts, peace rallies, good drugs, and great music... I wish I could've been at Woodstock! Peace, love, and happiness... that's what it was all about!

Anonymous said...

My first choice is 1940's mostly because the clothes would look great on my shape.

Second choice is 1950's.

Anonymous said...

3:09- arranged marriages are a thing of the past. not the NOW...

Anonymous said...

3:09 here... what mother doesn't think about potential mates for their kids?? It is fun to do and reminds me to pray for my kids' future spouses, if that is God's plan for them, as well the families of those kids.

So for your naysaying, I say, "Whatever!"

I'm having fun, being prayerful, and know that things usually don't go as I have planned. That's ok. But I still pray that God is raising up young people who love him who will love my kids. Period. And you missed my point.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't want to live in the 50's because no one would have done anything or cared that I was sexually abused as a child.... I think you all really new what kind of stuff happened back then, you would be ashamed to say you would want to live in the 50's.

Anonymous said...

By the way, I think its great to think about who you would like your child to marry!

Anonymous said...

Every decade has horrible things that happen. Maybe when someone picks the 50's they are choosing it for something great. Not because they are a racist pedophile.

Anonymous said...

When did the decade of the 1950s become the most evil??? I agree that ever decade has had bad things happen. This is suppose to be lighthearted.