Monday, August 31, 2009

Is Sunday the only 'right' day to have church, or is a Saturday service acceptable. Please back up your answer with scripture.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

No offense to whoever asked this question, but personally I think there is a better question to be asked here: “What day is the wrong day to ‘have church’?” First, I think we need to get over the idea that worship is only something we do when we’re at a certain building on a certain day of the week. Paul wrote, “Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God — this is your spiritual act of worship.” (Romans 12:1) We are to offer our lives EVERYDAY as a sacrifice to God. Believe it or not, this is an act of worship. The way you treat your family, other employees, serving others during the week are all acts of worship. Second, we need to get over the idea the Sunday is the only “Lord’s Day.” Again, I would ask: “Which day is NOT the Lord’s Day?” Does God expect us to be faithful on Sundays and then allow us to live however we want Monday through Saturday? Paul wrote in Romans, “…some think one day is more holy than another day, while others think every day is alike. Each person should have a personal conviction about this matter. Those who have a special day for worshiping the Lord are trying to honor him. Those who eat all kinds of food do so to honor the Lord, since they give thanks to God before eating. And those who won't eat everything also want to please the Lord and give thanks to God. For we are not our own masters when we live or when we die. While we live, we live to please the Lord. And when we die, we go to be with the Lord. So in life and in death, we belong to the Lord. Christ died and rose again for this very purpose, so that he might be Lord of those who are alive and of those who have died. So why do you condemn another Christian? Why do you look down on another Christian? Remember, each of us will stand personally before the judgment seat of God. For the Scriptures say,
" 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow to me and every tongue will confess allegiance to God.' " Yes, each of us will have to give a personal account to God. So don't condemn each other anymore. Decide instead to live in such a way that you will not put an obstacle in another Christian's path.” (Romans 14:5-13) The point is clear- we are never to judge each other on what day another Christian chooses to do this or that. If that person is convinced in his or her own mind that they are truly worshipping God, we have no right to condemn them. Hence, I think God accepts pure worship whether it’s offered on Saturday night, Tuesday afternoon, or Sunday morning. The day does not matter; the heart of the worshipper is what God is really after.

Anonymous said...

Agreed, "have church" is an awkward construction. However, all indications, both Biblical and historical, indicate a regular, routine and local gathering of Christians on a weekly basis for the purpose of "corporate worship" ("corporate" following the organic model not reflecting the current business usage). Acts 20, I Corinthians 11, Revelations 1 and lots of Patristic writings.

Here’s a little conundrum for the pattern theology adherents: Following the example found in Acts 20:7 and clearly established customs of the time, we ought to assemble sometime between sunset Saturday evening and sunset Sunday evening. It is just as easy to justify a Saturday night service as it is a Sunday night service if the Sunday night service is after sunset.


The greater danger is in too little worship not too much.

Anonymous said...

OP - I'm just curious, why are you asking this question? What is wrong with going to church on Sunday?

Anonymous said...

I am not the OP. But I think that person is trying to shake things up a little, which I find cool.

C-of-C-ers tend to have been pretty indoctrinated into what is "right," and many of those issues are traditions rather than God's mandates. So I say, shake it, stir it, froth it up. We should all be looking at ALL of our convictions, whether we are faithful people or not, and figuring out why we have them. We need to "spring clean" our hearts and minds, I think.

At least, I know I do.

Anonymous said...

I am the OP and I agree completely with 11:25.
I am a C of C member and I'm just now digging to find TRUTH vs. tradition.

Anonymous said...

I like Sunday -- the lunch and nap after are killer!