Friday, August 21, 2009

Reader Rally

First one here leave a question.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

What would you do if your 1st grader came home from school and said "Guess What! We had Gay Pride Day at school today and we had an assembly and everything! The Gym teacher Mr. Smith introduced us to his partner Mr. Jones and he talked about how it is okay to be Gay."

Anonymous said...

1st, I would be pretty upset the school didn't alert me to this day and pray to control my anger and call the school board and let them know they should have warned the parents.
2nd, I am not sure how I would handle it with my kid, again probably pray on the right words to tell them that it isn't okay to be gay and the school was wrong to say it was.
3rd, seriously consider homeschooling if this is the direction the schools are going or look into a private school and my kid out of the public school system.

Anonymous said...

I would take it as a teaching opportunity to talk to my child about what "gay" means and what God says about being "gay". And I would stress to my child that we treat everyone with love and respect no matter their choices. Just like we treat those who lie or cheat or steal or say mean things.

Alienating and showing anger to those who are gay is not going to change them and definitely won't lead them closer to the truth or to Jesus.

Anonymous said...

I agree with 6:57. I wouldn't go to a private school because of it, I'd talk to my kids. Public school is life. My child came home saying "Oh my God" and one day said "You're an ass!" I use these opportunities to say they will hear things that we don't repeat.

If we pretend it doesn't exist, when they find out about it as a teenager, they may not listen to you anymore. I would rather things come up when they still think their parents are awesome! I remember it being instilled in me that cussing was wrong when I was in elementary school. To this day, I can't do it! It formed a salvation issue type of hold on me!

I would be mad if I wasn't made aware of it though. Parent's need to be aware so they can prepare a conversation about it!

Anonymous said...

I would be happy to know that my child is going to a school that is trying to promote tolerance toward gays. And I would reiterate that it is okay to be gay, although any child of mine would hopefully already know that.

Although 6:57 and I have different beliefs, I agree that you have to teach children to treat everyone with respect. Throwing a fit and threatening to pull your children from the school is not the solution. They are going to meet plently of gay people in their lifetime, and raising them that way is only sending out a message to run the other way when you meet someone gay. There is a high suicide rate among gay teens, and that's never gonna change if they constantly feel disrespected by little judgemental children carrying on their parent's beliefs.

Anonymous said...

What if your child said they practiced putting Codoms on a banana? Would you still be fine?

Anonymous said...

If my kids are in elementary school, I would be mad! If they are in HS, there is no problem with condoms and bananas. I will let my kids go through the school sex ed program. I would just add to it.

10:04, Are you Christian? I'm confused on how you can believe it is OK to be gay and live the lifestyle when the bible speaks clearly on that issue. Like all other addictions, people need to fight it. It is a sin.

I would always teach my kids to love and accept everyone, but teach them that it is wrong.

Anonymous said...

I agree with 6:57. I would not pull my child out of that school, although I would be upset about not being informed before hand. Our job as parents is to train our children, not shelter them, or hide them away.
I have no problem with the condom and bannana as long as it is age appropriate.

Anonymous said...

10:04 here... Firstly, if that banana-condom remark was aimed at me, not sure if it was or not... I would be fine with high school kids learning sex ed. Teaching tolerance towards homosexuals and learning correct condom usage are two totally different things.

To answer 5:06, I am not a Christian, but I've got several gay friends who are! And it's topics like this one that just confirm my beliefs. I personally can't put faith in a book or a God that tells me we should deny rights to certain human beings because they were born being attracted to members of the same sex. That's just me, though.

I have nothing against Christians, I just choose not to go down that road.

Anonymous said...

10:04..find a church! Not all beleivers think that "gay people" are going to hell.

Anonymous said...

10:04 - God and the Bible don't say anywhere that just because you are gay means you should be denied any rights. I am so sorry that we as Christians have given you that impression. I can completely understand why you would want no part of "Christianity".

Anonymous said...

I am 6:24, I do not think we should go around gay bashing at all. Do I think homosexual sex is a sin? Yes. Do I want the public school to preach that it is okay? No. Do I think they should have a "Hate Gays" parade? OF course not. I wouldn't want them announcing the gym teacher has a gay lover the say way I wouldn't want the principal to be talking about his live-in girlfriend. I don't have any gay family members, but if I did, I would not allow a gay brother to have his gay lover spend the night with him at our house, you have to draw the line somewhere. I would tell my brother I love him and am not giving up on him, but I have to protect my kids and don't want to think that lifestyle is okay and not sinful.

Anonymous said...

10:04 again. I never said all Chrisitians were gay bashers, or that they thought all gay people were going to hell. Good grief. Like I said, I have nothing against Christians (in the same way, I hope Christians have nothing against me). I even share some of the same beliefs and opinions on different topics with my Christian friends. But when you start talking about kicking your kid out of the house for being gay (previous post, months ago), or taking your kids out of their school because they might be exposed to a gay teacher, I'm allowed to roll my eyes and say "how ridiculous".

Anonymous said...

If you believed being gay was a sin, you may not roll your eyes! I do not judge, but I also can't tell my kids it is okay behavior, because I don't believe it is. I missed the post from several months ago, but I would not allow my child to live in my house if they were living a gay lifestyle and proud of it. The same way I would not let them live with me if they were doing drugs, or being defiant. I will help them, I will teach them, we will study the bible, do counseling, whatever it takes. I will always love them, but I will not tell them it is OK to be gay.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you have kicked your kid out for defiance?

That's hard-core.

Anonymous said...

Did I say I have kicked my kids out?? Nope, sure didn't! But yes, if they are defiant and breaking rules ALL THE TIME and being completely disrespectful, I will. I was always told growing up, "If you want to live in this house..." It's not like I catch them doing something one time and they are out. I am talking about if it is constant and they don't seem to care. Enabling your kids and constantly bailing them out and letting them live with you without paying while they go and get in trouble and spend all their money on alcohol will only produce a 30 year old who is as responsible as a 10 year old.