Most of the time around 2 hours a day. It's too much. However in my defense I will say that my kid is still super smart and active outside the house. 2 years old.
Usually about 1 hour a day. Unfortunatly sometimes it is more. But I strive for 1 hour or less, and we are VERY picky about what we let them watch. They are 5 1/2 and 4.
some days they watch none and some days its on all day. They are still very active playing inside and outside. We also only let them watch certain shows that we have on the DVR. They are 5 and 3.
1 hour or less, my kids are preschool. I am pretty stict when it comes to TV and they only watch shows that I pick out. I would be happy to get rid of the stupid thing all together, but unfortunately hubby won't go for that.
My kid watches at least an hour a day, usually no more than two. He's one and I'm a SAHM with no car so without TV we go out of our minds. He doesn't watch regular TV, just a couple of DVDs.
I had visions of him not watching TV until after he was two but dreams and reality are often quite different.
We don't have a limit, but I don't think they watch more than 3 hours a week. Our tv is NEVER on. They are 6,5 and almost 2. We have an amazing back yard complete with a 40' playground my hubby built for them, so they LOVE to be outside! We also do alot of fourwheeling and biking to keep us active and busy! So, we are actually not inside long enough to watch much tv!
We go for a week and watch nothing. Then there are times when I have a headache (now)or not feeling well and it's on from 8-12. I will say that it is only PBS or Qubo (or wiggles movie or some other movie I like) so it's educational and they both still have to have a 2 hour nap/quiet time with nothing but books in bed. I hate how our backyard is all sun so we hardly go outside during the summer until the evening. They are 5 and 3!
When school is going on they get to unwind and watch about 30 minutes. In the summer it's probably about an hour a day. They'd rather be using their imaginations.
Children under the age of 2 should not be watching tv. Have you heard this? You might want to check it out and do a little research; this is the time of life that the brain is growing its fastest. Please do a little reading on this before you let your little ones watch. Information is a good thing.
There are also studies out that say that all things being equal (meaning your kid has well rounded activities), it doesn't matter how much tv a child watches.
And in my personal experience my child's vocabulary vastly improved around the time I let my child start watching more television.
There is just as much stuff out there that says otherwise also! I'd like to hear your theory on how baby einstein does more harm! My children watched one in the exersaucer nearly everyday and LOVED them. Everyone was always telling me how well my kids could speak. My daughter knew all the abc's, over 200 words, many sign language words all at 18 months old. Baby Einstein is all such sslow movements it's no different than actually holding a puppet in front of them! Praise Baby is just the same.
This is what the American Association of Peds says... “Children of all ages are constantly learning new things. The first 2 years of life are especially important in the growth and development of your child's brain. During this time, children need good, positive interaction with other children and adults. Too much television can negatively affect early brain development. This is especially true at younger ages, when learning to talk and play with others is so important."
Key words..."too much". It later does say they don't recommend it at all but there is a reason..."the benefits of parent-child interactions are proven…talking, singing, reading, listening to music or playing are far more important to a child’s development than any TV show." Well yes, of course. I don't think anything is more important than human interaction but when you go to take a shower...?!?!
The other reason they say no TV is because a study done on TV watching and ADD. They even state more research needs to be done on it, but until then, they recommend no TV!
If you actually read that study, you will see that first of all, only 10% of the children who they studied that watched TV at 1 and 3 years of age had ADD at age 7! Probably 10% wet the bed until aged 7 too. There is no way to say it was caused by TV. Most importantly the study says "hours of tv viewed per day at both ages 1 and 3 was associated with attentional problems at age 7". Key word - HOURS!!! I totally agree HOURS of TV could probably cause attention problems! This study also doesn't say what they watched! Action TV vs. Baby Einstein is a HUGE difference!
They also talk about the pace of real life is different than that of TV. This is true. However, there are DVD's that move to the pace of real life.
Be informed but realize they make recommendations that are easy and strict because the majority of people do not research or get into the details! Also parents are always pushing the limits just a little bit so its easier to say non at all than to say well if its real life paced, if you are still including lots of face time, etc!
I agree with 2:53. I think it is different for every child. I don't think any child should be put in front of the TV all day everyday, or allowed to watch adult programs, but there are a lot of really good developmental programs and DVD's out there for kids. I will also agree that my child's vocabulary greatly increased from watching educational TV and DVD's. Sure, she could have gotten the same thing if I had sat down and done flashcards with her all day, but who has time for that?? She JUST turned 2, and she knows all her letters, numbers, colors, shapes, and has an amazing vocabulary. She got this from a combination of us reading to her/working with her and watching some educational programs. Even her doctor said that her vocab and language are better than some three year olds, and she watches plenty of TV.
Most of these questions are now submitted. Please feel free to submit your question and see how others feel. Email me here with a subject line of "Anonymous Truth"
19 comments:
How much TV to you allow your kids to watch? How old are they?
24 - however long the hell they want to hahaha
Most of the time around 2 hours a day. It's too much. However in my defense I will say that my kid is still super smart and active outside the house. 2 years old.
too much
Maybe 1 hour per day. My child is 2 years old.
Usually about 1 hour a day. Unfortunatly sometimes it is more. But I strive for 1 hour or less, and we are VERY picky about what we let them watch. They are 5 1/2 and 4.
we have no limit, prob 4-5 hours a day, during the summer, prob 1 or so during the school year
some days they watch none and some days its on all day. They are still very active playing inside and outside. We also only let them watch certain shows that we have on the DVR.
They are 5 and 3.
1 hour or less, my kids are preschool. I am pretty stict when it comes to TV and they only watch shows that I pick out. I would be happy to get rid of the stupid thing all together, but unfortunately hubby won't go for that.
My kid watches at least an hour a day, usually no more than two. He's one and I'm a SAHM with no car so without TV we go out of our minds. He doesn't watch regular TV, just a couple of DVDs.
I had visions of him not watching TV until after he was two but dreams and reality are often quite different.
We don't have a limit, but I don't think they watch more than 3 hours a week. Our tv is NEVER on. They are 6,5 and almost 2. We have an amazing back yard complete with a 40' playground my hubby built for them, so they LOVE to be outside! We also do alot of fourwheeling and biking to keep us active and busy! So, we are actually not inside long enough to watch much tv!
We go for a week and watch nothing. Then there are times when I have a headache (now)or not feeling well and it's on from 8-12. I will say that it is only PBS or Qubo (or wiggles movie or some other movie I like) so it's educational and they both still have to have a 2 hour nap/quiet time with nothing but books in bed. I hate how our backyard is all sun so we hardly go outside during the summer until the evening. They are 5 and 3!
When school is going on they get to unwind and watch about 30 minutes. In the summer it's probably about an hour a day. They'd rather be using their imaginations.
Ages are 8 and 6.
Children under the age of 2 should not be watching tv. Have you heard this? You might want to check it out and do a little research; this is the time of life that the brain is growing its fastest. Please do a little reading on this before you let your little ones watch. Information is a good thing.
There are also studies out that say that all things being equal (meaning your kid has well rounded activities), it doesn't matter how much tv a child watches.
And in my personal experience my child's vocabulary vastly improved around the time I let my child start watching more television.
2:36, I agree, I didn't any of mine watch until they were 2. I think those Baby Einstein videos do more harm than good.
There is just as much stuff out there that says otherwise also! I'd like to hear your theory on how baby einstein does more harm! My children watched one in the exersaucer nearly everyday and LOVED them. Everyone was always telling me how well my kids could speak. My daughter knew all the abc's, over 200 words, many sign language words all at 18 months old. Baby Einstein is all such sslow movements it's no different than actually holding a puppet in front of them! Praise Baby is just the same.
This is what the American Association of Peds says... “Children of all ages are constantly learning new things. The first 2 years of life are especially important in the growth and development of your child's brain. During this time, children need good, positive interaction with other children and adults. Too much television can negatively affect early brain development. This is especially true at younger ages, when learning to talk and play with others is so important."
Key words..."too much". It later does say they don't recommend it at all but there is a reason..."the benefits of parent-child interactions are proven…talking, singing, reading, listening to music or playing are far more important to a child’s development than any TV show." Well yes, of course. I don't think anything is more important than human interaction but when you go to take a shower...?!?!
The other reason they say no TV is because a study done on TV watching and ADD. They even state more research needs to be done on it, but until then, they recommend no TV!
If you actually read that study, you will see that first of all, only 10% of the children who they studied that watched TV at 1 and 3 years of age had ADD at age 7! Probably 10% wet the bed until aged 7 too. There is no way to say it was caused by TV. Most importantly the study says "hours of tv viewed per day at both ages 1 and 3 was associated with attentional problems at age 7". Key word - HOURS!!! I totally agree HOURS of TV could probably cause attention problems! This study also doesn't say what they watched! Action TV vs. Baby Einstein is a HUGE difference!
They also talk about the pace of real life is different than that of TV. This is true. However, there are DVD's that move to the pace of real life.
Be informed but realize they make recommendations that are easy and strict because the majority of people do not research or get into the details! Also parents are always pushing the limits just a little bit so its easier to say non at all than to say well if its real life paced, if you are still including lots of face time, etc!
I agree with 2:53. I think it is different for every child. I don't think any child should be put in front of the TV all day everyday, or allowed to watch adult programs, but there are a lot of really good developmental programs and DVD's out there for kids. I will also agree that my child's vocabulary greatly increased from watching educational TV and DVD's. Sure, she could have gotten the same thing if I had sat down and done flashcards with her all day, but who has time for that?? She JUST turned 2, and she knows all her letters, numbers, colors, shapes, and has an amazing vocabulary. She got this from a combination of us reading to her/working with her and watching some educational programs. Even her doctor said that her vocab and language are better than some three year olds, and she watches plenty of TV.
Post a Comment