Thursday, November 19, 2009

What are the restrictions, from stop signs to gravity, that you can't stand living with.

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

All the C o C no-nos that make life a bit more enjoyable...a beer with pizza, a dance my lovely wife, and liking the piano in gospel music...

Anonymous said...

Where did you learn about these "no nos"????? I'm C of C and know plenty of people in my church who drink. And plenty of people who let their kids to go prom, dances, etc and had dancing at weddings...

I don't think you should label them as "C o C no-nos" - you are grouping everyone into the same group, not everyone is the same.

Anonymous said...

Not hitting people (esp 6:23 ;)I'm sorry if God means more to us than a beer!),

Not being able to pull a fried green tomatoes moment and ram someone out of MY parking space,

speeding/racing (I come from a family of stock cars and drag racing),

Oh my list can go on forever!!

Anonymous said...

I'm C of C and I have a beer and pizza lot, and go dancing. You can still be C of C and make your choice to do those activites. I agree with 7:35 don't group all C of C to be no beer, dancing, & music (that's the old school way).
I can't stand slow drives and red lights drive me insane.

Anonymous said...

I wish that I could bust my kid's butt in public.

Anonymous said...

I could live without: red lights (just for me though), lines, whiny kids, obnoctious people who always think 'there way/answer' is the right way/answer, work, chores, commercials and advertisements (DVR has helped a lot), gee this list could go on and on.

But I guess life would be pretty boring though...

Anonymous said...

I could live without...
- Out of control kids that need spankings.
- Parents who only yell at their kids instead of actually getting up and taking care of the problem.
- Lines at Wal-Mart when there are 1,000 registers.
- Having to give my hard earned money to the government; knowing that a small portion is going to some mom/dad (of 5 kids) who won't even try to get a job!

Anonymous said...

Just a thought- It would be interesting to ask this same question to people living in poverty in places like Honduras or the Sudan. I wonder how their list of inconvenient "restrictions" would come to our lists?

Anonymous said...

I'll take this on, 12:02.

"I hate having to walk two miles to the nearest water. When I get there, I find that it has been used as a bath, urinal, and laundry all at the same time."

Or this:

"I hate the restriction of having only stubs for arms because a rival tribe came through and chopped my hands off with a machete."

That's some perspective.

Anonymous said...

I am C o C. I drink beer, go dancing, sleep around, lie, and steal. 7:35 and 9:00 were right about old school C o C. Don't put MY God in a box, and don't judge!

Anonymous said...

Ummm, what's C o C?

Anonymous said...

1:22, Obviously NOT what it is supposed to be!!

Church OF CHRIST!

Anonymous said...

I really can't think of anything. I feel pretty blessed. I get annoyed at some things but nothing I "can't stand." My big issue is just wishing we made more money!

Anonymous said...

1:15, I'm not trying to judge you, but how do you get around the parameters God set up for us? (ie lying, stealing and sexual immorality)

I sometimes have a hard time not putting God in a box, but I don't think this is a situation of doing that. Some things God spells out clearly to us and I don't know how to just disregard those things. And I am not talking about an occasional beer or dancing with your wife.

Anonymous said...

Whoa, this is 7:35.

I just want to clarify. I don't think drinking is wrong b/c Jesus turned water into wine. I don't think it is wrong to dance with your wife.

But I do think its wrong to do things that God clearly says is wrong (fornication, etc)

Anonymous said...

1:15 is being sarcastic, as I read it, to make a point about people who say it's okay to have a beer by taking the situation to an extreme.

Which it is. Even for an elder- not given to much wine means not a drunkard/not relying on alcohol.

1:15, if you are not being rude and sarcastic, then I have misread you, and I apologize. But I don't think I have misread you.

Colossians 2 puts it nicely:

"16Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ. 18Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you for the prize. Such a person goes into great detail about what he has seen, and his unspiritual mind puffs him up with idle notions. 19He has lost connection with the Head, from whom the whole body, supported and held together by its ligaments and sinews, grows as God causes it to grow.

20Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: 21"Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!"? 22These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings. 23Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence."

Quit judging. Spend your time on things that have real value. Sheesh.

Anonymous said...

My waistband. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

What annoys me are people who say things like C oc C "no nos". If you do not agree with the church of Christ and it's stance on not drinking, dancing, and instrumental music then why don't you go to a church that does believe these things to be acceptable. If you think it is okay then why not attend a community church or a different religion?

Anonymous said...

3:10 this is 1:15
No, I am not a member and yes I was being sarcastic not so much rude. I really do not get your religion. What exactly does your scripture reference mean? No, I am not being sarcastic or rude

Anonymous said...

My scripture reference means that nobody should be able to hold anybody else to person A's personal standard of morality based on observances and abstinences.

According to the Bible that I read and believe, each person is responsible for working out their own salvation, all the time. And we are called to share our good news, but NOT to impose man-made standards on each other. So to the person who says, "I am sorry if God means more to us than a beer!" I say this: God means SO MUCH more to me than a beer that I will not let my relationship with him be defined be trivialized into whether or not I drink.

And I appreciate knowing you are not a member. It frames your statement differently for me. I hope that makes sense.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, 7:44, I will just add this to you:

When you apologize about God meaning more to "us" than a beer, you are using bullying and bandwagon techniques, making yourselves part of an imagined statistic or group. Stand on your own, and speak for yourself, not others.

That would be really refreshing.

And I am sorry that you want to hit 6:23 for their opinion about restrictions. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

It appears to me that several enjoy the removal of the restriction of being responsible for what we say. I remember something about Christ asking us to love one another. This command second only to loving God. Sounds like we need to work on both. These kinds of attitudes and aimless attacks at each other and the Christian faith do nothing but drive people farther away from the One we are trying to bring them closer to. Praise God for His forgiveness offered to us all on the cross.

I had some pretty good restrictions in mind to remove then someone had to chime in and remind me that even in its sad shape now, we still live in the greatest country in the world. So for now, I will appreciate ALL that entails.

Anonymous said...

6:19 -- America's in sad shape? Is that what you said?

Which freedoms have you lost that you feel diminish us? Where are you not allowed to go? What are you not allowed to say? How has America disappeared for you?

I agree it's the greatest country in the world. But I don't see how we're in sad shape.

Anonymous said...

underwear

Anonymous said...

sad shape as in a comparison of where we have been in the recent past. Diminishing economy, unemployment as high as it has been in 50 years or more, a complete absence of family values in the community as a whole... I could go on as you should have when you were reading my post. I did say

"...we still live in the greatest country in the world. So for now, I will appreciate ALL that entails."

I never claimed to have lost any freedoms at all. Disagree with me if you like, but please don't put words in my mouth or thoughts in my head and I will do the same for you.

In Christian Love,
6:19

Anonymous said...

3:55- C of C doesn't have a stance on no drinking or no dancing.

Can I remind everyone here that C of C is nondenominational! Every C of C is different. Some have instruments some dont. Maybe back when my grandma was being raised, they taught dancing and drinking occasionally was completely forbidden, but my generation was never taught that. I went through youth group and a Christian college. No bible class taught it. I stay at the C of C and not a community church because I like my church. I'm sure I'd like a community church as well but I do prefer listening to beautiful voices without loud music.

No church is filled with people who completely agree with each other. I may not agree with everyone at my church but I agree with what I'm being taught and I'm not taught anything that isn't in the bible.

There are a lot of stereotypes for C of C that are WAY outdated.

Anonymous said...

Man, I had no clue what CofC stood for, but after listening to all you "CofC" people, it makes me want to continue my Methodist ways.

Anonymous said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churches_of_Christ

Anonymous said...

you people are so unreal. its unbelievable that you turn ANY question into church of christ issues. way to turn people away. if i wasn't raised in the c of c and i had read this blog i would think you people were crazies...