trust in confidence. I don't want some blabbermouth for a friend that is going to be spreading my dirty laundry around town when I need a sounding board for life's daily struggles.
Mutual respect. I think if you respect someone, many of the other important elements (trust, forgiveness, communication, effort, understanding, etc.) fall into place.
I must say though, effort is something I really need to work on. I would LOVE to talk to my friends more and spend more time with them, but it's not always easy and I often worry they feel neglected.
I'm in the same boat as 9:19. None of my friends show that they can be trusted with a secret and we don't spend as much time together as we used to bc of this and the lack of time is an issue with 4 small kids.
I think humbleness should be a key ingredient though! If you are humble, there isn't that feeling of competition or who's right.
It's hard to find good friends, but I think it's even harder to keep good friends good! We all change and we easily grow apart if we don't take into serious consideration the Ingredients pointed out today! Make sure you are on the right side of the friendship before trying to blame your friends. :)
As to friendships fading, do you find that there are some friends that you can call or see after months or even years, and you are able to pick right back up?
Or has the friendship really diminished? I have some friends that I consider best friends for life, although we haven't seen each other in years and we rarely speak.
2:14, yes! Those are who I consider the best of my best friends!! I have one, in particular, that we don't ever have time to talk but when we see eachother, it's like we just talked yesterday! I am NOT close with my family, so she is considered my sister. I believe our friendship is thicker than blood. She had understanding when I was blindly doing things, she was there when I went through severe depression! SHE was there.
That's #1... Just being there! Not ducking out when things got tough!
I don't have much time for friends right now. I would say respect is the necessary ingredient.
I have this crazy idea when I'm retired I'm going to take all of my old friends on a cruise. Hopefully Faceboook will still be around then! Anyone want to come?
I think the number one ingredient should be Christ like care and concern. Don't let someone walk all over you, but if a friend needs you...be there. Truly care about the other person. I think honesty is part of caring also. Friends should want to bring out the best in their friend. So if their friend is making stupid choices, they will call them out nicely and nonjudgementally! Know each others strengths and weaknesses and help each other succeed. CARE :)
Most of these questions are now submitted. Please feel free to submit your question and see how others feel. Email me here with a subject line of "Anonymous Truth"
23 comments:
Trust: only solid relationships last and betrayals are like earthquakes.
Forgiveness, no one is perfect.
loyalty through all kinds of hardships, as well as the good times
Effort
Communication.
So many times I've lost friends over the year simply because we both get to busy to pick up the phone. Facebook has helped with that though.
I agree with 7:13.
Supporting each other through the good times - AND the bad times.
Time. It takes time together & shared experiences to be close.
trust in confidence. I don't want some blabbermouth for a friend that is going to be spreading my dirty laundry around town when I need a sounding board for life's daily struggles.
Mutual respect. I think if you respect someone, many of the other important elements (trust, forgiveness, communication, effort, understanding, etc.) fall into place.
I must say though, effort is something I really need to work on. I would LOVE to talk to my friends more and spend more time with them, but it's not always easy and I often worry they feel neglected.
I'm in the same boat as 9:19. None of my friends show that they can be trusted with a secret and we don't spend as much time together as we used to bc of this and the lack of time is an issue with 4 small kids.
I think humbleness should be a key ingredient though! If you are humble, there isn't that feeling of competition or who's right.
It's hard to find good friends, but I think it's even harder to keep good friends good! We all change and we easily grow apart if we don't take into serious consideration the Ingredients pointed out today! Make sure you are on the right side of the friendship before trying to blame your friends. :)
9:44 here. I meant to say 'In the same boat as 9:19 AND 9:05' Sorry :)
8:12 took mine.
transparency
Adding acceptance to the other ingredients.
loving one another despite flaws
Definitely effort. Friendships fade away if you don't put the time and energy into maintaining them.
As to friendships fading, do you find that there are some friends that you can call or see after months or even years, and you are able to pick right back up?
Or has the friendship really diminished? I have some friends that I consider best friends for life, although we haven't seen each other in years and we rarely speak.
2:14, yes! Those are who I consider the best of my best friends!! I have one, in particular, that we don't ever have time to talk but when we see eachother, it's like we just talked yesterday! I am NOT close with my family, so she is considered my sister. I believe our friendship is thicker than blood. She had understanding when I was blindly doing things, she was there when I went through severe depression! SHE was there.
That's #1... Just being there! Not ducking out when things got tough!
I don't have much time for friends right now. I would say respect is the necessary ingredient.
I have this crazy idea when I'm retired I'm going to take all of my old friends on a cruise. Hopefully Faceboook will still be around then! Anyone want to come?
I'm in.
I think the number one ingredient should be Christ like care and concern. Don't let someone walk all over you, but if a friend needs you...be there. Truly care about the other person. I think honesty is part of caring also. Friends should want to bring out the best in their friend. So if their friend is making stupid choices, they will call them out nicely and nonjudgementally! Know each others strengths and weaknesses and help each other succeed. CARE :)
A true friend is like a safe harbor. I can be myself and know that I am not going to be judged.
Post a Comment