Thursday, November 12, 2009

Reader Rally

First one here leave a question. ------------------------ Oops! My bad. I messed up in the scheduling. Oh well, let's just go with it. Enjoy the change of routine.

40 comments:

Anonymous said...

RR on Thursday?! I thought it was Friday for a moment!

Are you a racist? I mean do you think you judge people AT ALL by their skin color? Do you have many friends of different backgrounds?

Anonymous said...

I do not consider my self at racist at all, I do have black friends, not a lot but a few. However, I do find it really hard to relate to black people who have a "black chip" on their shoulder and make everything about their skin color. I honestly do not have any friends like that, so I don't know if that makes me a racist. Also though, I seriously doubt I would relate to white people who have a "white chip" on their shoulder too.

Anonymous said...

I think we have had a similar question before, so if I may, I'd like to add a second question with it>

Do you find the Confederate Battle Flag racist/offensive?

Anonymous said...

I am an observant person, not to be confused with a judgemental person though. I am always aware of my surroundings and if a big black man walks up (or a mexican or even a muslim), I don't think anything of him unless he gives me something to worry about! So, no I don't think I am racist.

I have a lot of friends from different backgrounds, as far as money goes. Nationality and color- not so much. I just haven't met anyone to become friends with that are different than me.

I am from the south so there are a lot of my family members that served in the war, so the battle flag is a symbol of those lost, brothers vs brothers, etc. It has nothing to do with slavery or anything racist! My great great gma told stories(diaries) of their servants(free slaves) and slaves defending them and fighting beside them. They became families of both colors and one story she told of the soldier and his servant having many kids together and living a happy long life later.

Anonymous said...

Interesting question, interesting in a good way.

Am I racist? I always said no, but sometimes I do judge people by their race. Actually, I don't know if I would say judge, as much as stereotype races. But I do believe that everyone is equal, and anyone can accomplish anything.

Do I have friends of different backgrounds? I'm working on it. I have a handful of friends that have different backgrounds of me, but recently I realized that I should have more friends that are different from me.

Confederate Battle Flag offensive/racist? No, I think it's pointless, but I'm a young one that probably doesn't understand it's meaning.

Anonymous said...

How to answer this question. I don't see myself as racist. As long as any race (including whites) are not a drain on the system and our country. Having said that, when I lived out in CO, I found a lot of the Mexicans (mostly illegal) a drain. Didn't buy car insurance, wasn't paying taxes, but having children who got to go to our tax paid public schools and was given free medical care. Now living in the south, I also see a big drain in the black community. Not getting jobs, living off of welfare, having multiple kids that are further drains on society. Most of the crime is associated with these communities. But just as a side note: I feel the say way about the 'trailer trash/rednecks' white people also.

I work every day with every race (Indian, white, black, Hispanic) and they are all outstanding people, and I do not see 'color' or culture any different in them. They are all hard working, tax paying and good contributors to this country. I consider them all my family. So I guess you tell me if I'm racist?

Also having grown up and live in the deep south now, the Confederate flag is part of history. And should be a reminder to all what happened in the past so we never go back there. To hide it or pretend it didn't happen will not teach future generations the importance of that time in history.

Anonymous said...

Can I ask a spinoff to this? Do you think there is prejudice in your church? Do you think your minister would have been hired if he was black or another race?

Anonymous said...

I don't think there is predjuice in our church, however it is mostly all white. I do not think that is a racist thing, I think it is a being comfortable with people who are like you thing and I do not find that wrong as long as we are not excluding others, but welcoming to everyone.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I know this is incredibly stupid, let me just put that out there, but I really don't want to take my kids to the new Disney movie, the one with the Black princess, because from what I have seen they go out their way to talk about her being black, and that just rubs me the wrong way.

Anonymous said...

To start off with the preacher question. Its not about racism but many black preachers preach a whole lot different style so they tend to have all black churches. My home church had a guest speaker who was black and they loved him. They wished he was wanting to be a preacher (since they were looking!). You don't find many of those however. It's like asking would you hire a white rapper. The pool is almost nonexistant.

I agree with 7:36- All races can be and look respectable so they should be respected the same. There are several people of all races that look dress walk and talk disrespectful. I would still treat them the say and be nice but I wouldn't ask them to babysit! Doesn't have a thing to do with race though. It's all about presentation.

Anonymous said...

Racism is still very alive.

As for me, I try not to be prejudice. I have plenty of non-white friends and acquaintances. If I see a non-white visitor at our church I try to be extra friendly to them.

HOWEVER, I know that there are some instances where I am definitely racist. For example, if my child was the only white kid in his/her class/school, I would probably want to switch him/her out. And yes that is absolutely racism.

8:43 - there's alot of white preachers that preach a different style too. Just because someone is black doesn't mean that he preaches the same way as other people who are black.

I think a big part of racism is assuming that just because someone else who was the same skin color behaved a certain way (such as "being a drain on society" as the prev poster said) then other people with the same skin color are more likely to behave that way...... that is definitely prejudice and wrong to assume that......

Anonymous said...

Here's a good blog entry to read regarding this topic:

http://larryjamesurbandaily.blogspot.com/2008/11/blog-post.html

Don't agree with his political views, but thought I'd post this. He was a Church of CHrist minister. Not sure if he still is.

Anonymous said...

We all have personal bias based on how we were raised and a number of other factors. Racism is alive and well, just read these comments if you don't believe it.

Anonymous said...

Hey 9:32 why don't you re read my post (I'm poster 7:36). I'm not 'assuming' the 'whole' race is a 'drain'. Otherwise I would think everyone is. Sheesh, did you see #1 where I mentioned I feel the same way about 'white trash/red necks? There are many white people in my area that I consider a 'drain' too. So that doesn't mean I 'assume' all white people are. #2 did you not see that I have high regard and respect for any race that are hardworking, tax paying citizens. And that I do not see color as a factor?

I live in a town filled with those that are 'living off the system' while I work tooth and nail just to get by. Yes it makes me angry, yes I do not like having my hard earned money to go to those that are lazy and just expect things given to them for free without having to contribute. And around here, it is VERY obvious who those people are. Plus these same people aren't even trying, and are proud that don't have to work.

Anonymous said...

AMEN to the person who left the comment at 10:35a.m. People can say they are not racist,but deep down inside we all harbor a little racism either to other cultures or even to our own.

I have friends of all backgrounds. I have never judged anyone by their skin color and I never shall. If you cross me, it is because of what you did, not because of the color of your skin. Does God see us as a color? No, as an individual. Can't we all just get pass that and not judge a whole race because of what one person of that color may have done. Rise up people and get with the times!!!

As far as the comment for the person about not going to see the Princess and The Frog because of what you heard. Why don't you go and see it for yourself and see if that is true? Don't just believe what others are telling you because you may get a whole different perspective than someone else. I think you might take back what you said. Just a suggestion! Love and peace to all my brothers and sisters out there, no matter what your color is.

Anonymous said...

I can't stand fillipino women.

Anonymous said...

12:30, why?

Anonymous said...

You're racist if you included in your answer some mention of how many friends you have of other races.

The problem is that we don't see "men" and "women" and "friends" and "preachers", etc. We see "_____ men" and "_____ women" and "_____ friends" and "_____ preachers." Fill in the blank with the race you use as an adjective.

If you talked about the "black chip on their shoulder," you're racist. If you talk about "styles" and "pools" you're racist. If you talked about seeing blacks or hispanics or muslims, you're racist.

It's all around us, it's in us, we have a long way to go. I do, too.

Anonymous said...

For those who do not understand the definition...

racism

1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

Anonymous said...

I agree with 1:39. It annoys me when someone is telling a story, lets say a friend who's an elem teacher, and she says "I have a black kid in my class who...." yet if it were a white kid, she wouldn't say "I have a white kid in my class who...."

Also I know an infertility couple who refused to adopt a child who was black. I don't think that's necessary wrong, but the reason she gave was "We were afraid when he got older, he would associate with the African American lifestyle and turn against us." That made me so MAD.

You would never hear a couple say "We wouldn't adopt a white baby because we were afraid when he got older he would turn to the white lifestyle and turn against us."

I even told her that was wrong.

She said said that "it was reality"

Anonymous said...

Here's a question. Why is it that if a white person says anything it's racist. But any other ethnic group says the same thing it's not.

I have a friend (who happens to be black, is that better) who calls me her 'white' friend. So what's the difference, I bet she wouldn't be called a racist for that?

Anonymous said...

I am married to a woman of a different race than my own. I often have to smile when people are telling me a story and preface some comment about a person by saying "she was (fill in the race of my wife)." People who do not know about my wife's ethnicity often put their foot in their mouth but never know it because I am gracious.

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite songs is "Black, White, Tan" by Nicole C. Mullen. Google it and listen!

Anonymous said...

I have read EVERY comment and haven't found ANY to be racist. The Princess one is a lil sketchy though!

I'm 8:43#2 I never said all black preachers preach the same. I just said most. I met one that didn't and my parents church wanted them! If I hear a good preacher, doesn't matter the color of skin, I'd hire him. However, If I heard a charismatic preacher black or white, I wouldn't. Like I said. Doesn't have to do with color but presentation. NOT EVEN CLOSE TO RACISM!

Also, there is nothing wrong with saying they have friends of different races. Doesn't mean they go around saying "my black friend..." all the time. They were just staying that in their answers to show they do have friends of different races! Geez.

People, if you would not hire someone simply because of color, thats racism. All this stuff on here is not. It is you reading in to it!

Anonymous said...

I don't necessarily agree that saying you have " " friends, " " preachers, etc means that you are racist( at least as far as the negative connotation) I think it's just a way that people describe and classify eachother. I do agree that there is a lot of discrimination that occurs today, but I think it's equal across all races.

Anonymous said...

Here's one way to look at it.

There are lots of people in the world with detached earlobes.

And there's lots of people in the world with attached earlobes.

They can't help it. It's the way they were born. Just like people of a different race can't help they were born.

I'm sure there are some people with detached earlobes who are a "drain on society" as someone previously mentioned. Is it fair to say that everyone with detached earlobes is a drain on society? NO. Is it fair to say that most people with detached earlobes preach a certain way? NO.

I think the best way to be fair to all races, is to treat everyone the same.

I don't even know why someone even mentioned the whole "drain on society" thing.

If the question were something like "How do you feel about people with detached earlobes?" or "How do you feel about people with attached earlobes?" would you even mention that there were some people with detached earlobes that were a drain in society???????????? No, it would seem very wierd to even mention it.

Do you get my point?

Anonymous said...

I fight my own racist tendencies.

I hate the Confederate flag.

It is important to point out that the original series of questions included the question, "Do you have many friends of different backgrounds?" So mentioning that HERE may just be an honest reflection of the question.

Did I mention that people who display the Confederate flag as a prized symbol, badge of honor, better version of Old Glory, or a prophecy disgust me? I have never come across anybody who displays it a reminder of history that should not be repeated.

I feel better.

Anonymous said...

12:02 meet me: 7:10 am! I am not a racist and I fly my confederate flag in honor of my family that died and in remeberance of all that the south went through! I even have a memorial of confederate memorabilia. I'm surprised I'm the first normal, nonracist, confederate flag flying person you've met!!

Anonymous said...

10:24 - Um, you say you're not a racist. Do you know that it is offensive to many people? Then why do you keep displaying it?

Anonymous said...

10:24 -- "In remembrance of all that the south went through." What?

It's not like the Civil War was something that was perpetrated upon the South without reason. The war was tough on both sides, for everyone, but the South began the thing. Forcing the Three Fifths Compromise, slavery, secession, Ft. Sumter ... It's not like the Civil War was "done" to the South. So you're proud of ... what? That your ancestors took part in splitting the Union and supported the oppression and exploitation of millions of Africans for economic reasons?

That's what the Confederate flag means. You can understand how some would consider it a racist symbol.

Anonymous said...

10:24. Kindly and gently I must tell you to call your psychiatrist. He/she might need to up your meds a little.

Anonymous said...

7:05pm you are being a tad ridiculous. The poster said the same thing about white people being a drain on society. If the question was about earlobes she'd say the same. If they are a drain, its hard to respect them (Not saying this is Christian like...just honest). If not, she has no problem with them!! She was explaining that she doesn't have a problem with race. She only has a problem with people who are a drain on society and don't seem to care. Same with the preacher comment. LISTEN WITH EARS OPEN or READ WITH EYES WIDE OPEN PEOPLE!

And let me just add. White people do this all the time. "Remember the girl who has glasses and red hair" "What's that girls name who dresses crazy" I mean color of skin, hair, eyes, the way people dress...it's all just characteristics. There are times when saying "Do you know that hispanic girl we met the other day..." TAKE IT AS IT'S MEANT TO BE.

Anonymous said...

We should be sensitive to all people. If that is hard for you to do, you need to work on it.

ESPECIALLY if you are a Christian.

Anonymous said...

2:00 PM:

If the question was "How do you feel about people with detached earlobes?" instead of "Are you racist?" ------------> do you think someone would respond talking about how people with detached earlobes are a drain on society? NO of course not, that would sound ridiculous. People would say "I'm fine with people with detached earlobes" and "I don't notice it, etc" not take the time to point out that some people with detached earlobes are a drain on society.

The problem with racism is that people of a certain skin color are blamed about for the actions of other people with the same skin color, such as the whole "drain on society thing".

It just bothers me that the question was "Are you racist?" and you took the time to point out that some people are a draim on society.

If the question was:

How do you feel about people with freckles?

or

How do you feel about people with brown eyes?

or

How do you feel about people with long fingernails?

or

How do you feel about people with bangs?

or

How do you feel about people who don't have their ears pierced?

or

How do you feel about people who have double chins?

or

How do you feel about people who have "outie" belly buttons"

or

How do you feel about people with red hair?

or

How do you feel about people with a mole on their face?

or

How do you feel about people with second toes bigger than their first toes?

or

How do you feel about people with overbites/underbites?

or

How do you feel about people with long eyelashes?

or

How do you feel about people who are 5 feet tall

Would you have even mentioned that some of those people are a drain on society? NO, that would seem RIDICULOUS. Just as it seems ridiculous that you took the time to point out that some people of a different race are a drain on society.

Yes some people with long eyelashes are a drain on society.

Yes some people with freckles are a drain on society.

Yes some people who are skinny are a drain on society.

But that doesn't mean that you should assume that someone is like that, just because someone else of the same characteristic (such as RACE) is.

I Just URGE YOU to never, never tell someone in real life about how you feel. Don't make someone of one race been punished for something they didn't do.

Thank-you.

Anonymous said...

2:00 pm ----

REALLY? You think that if the question was "What do you think about people with detached earlobes?" the first response out of her mouth would be....... "as long as they aren't a drain on our system and society I'd be okay with them"?

Yeah, right.

I highly don't if the question was about earlobes, within a few sentences people would start talking about how they were a drain on society. i'm pretty sure about that!

Anonymous said...

Oops, I meant doubt not don't

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with 6:07. It is kinda rude that the first thing the previous poster noted "as long as they are not a drain on society" ----- I agree, why even mention that? you are jumping to conclusions too easily 7:36 am!!!!!!

It's like someone asking "How were the people on your cruise ship, did you like them?" and answering "As long as any people are not a drain on our system and country, I like them." Um, that would be WIERD!

Kinda like how he/she immediately talked about the whole drain on society thing when referring to a different race. And it is so insulting that he/she thinks its okay because he/she feels the same about "trailer trash rednecks"

Anonymous said...

To those of you who said you have a hard time respecting people who are "being a drain".

Do you feel the same way about foster children in our society who have been abused/neglected? After all, they are a "drain" as well.

Anonymous said...

I think the people who take the "as long as they are not a drain on society" question will say this about the foster children:

Yes, they are a drain, but it is not their fault.

This, of course, opens a very racist and CLASSIST can o' worms, my friends.

Anonymous said...

Okay I'm 2:00pm and I'm sorry but I'm not the poster of the drain on society...I just took her comment for what it was. You are right, if your long list of questions were the actual question, it wouldn't be the first thing I personally would think of. However, to her, she explained in CO she was around several Hispanics who were in fact a drain. So when you say race or Hispanic, that is the first thing that pops in her head (wrong or right...it just is/was). Yes she probably knows not all hispanics are that way, but that is what pops up first. She isn't racist in my opinion. She realizes it's really all races depending on where you live.

If someone took a cruise and there was a group of college students that went around stealing from people so everyone had to be on gaurd. When asked that question about liking people on your cruise ship, they just may come up with that answer. "I like those that don't drain me financially!" "I liked the ones that don't steal". When put into perspective, it's really not that crazy of a comment.

I will also add I don't believe ANYONE on here despises those who are a "drain" because of circumstances they can't control. I too get annoyed at people who don't even try and enjoy getting things handed to them or even stealing from others. Growing up we were robbed twice in which videos of me as a child were stolen. These people are MUCH different than foster children.

Anyway, I repeat...I wasn't even the 7:36 poster. I'm 8:43!!! I'm just one that tries to see the good in EVERY COMMENT and doesn't try to find and twist (which someone tried to do with my comment also) things to make them a bigger deal than they were meant to be, to cause drama, or to attack. Go punch your pillow instead people!