Tuesday, November 24, 2009

If North American Christians were being persecuted and not allowed to worship God without serious retribution, do you think all the different types of Christianity (i.e. Baptist, Protestant, Church of Christ, Methodist, etc) would band together in their faith or would divisions continue?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

With few obvious exceptions, Christians have been banding together generically for ages despite doctrinal differences. Virtually all social movements contain an amalgam of religious people who join with other voices behind a common message: pro-life, anti-war, tea-baggers, health reform, etc. Under real persecution, I hope that our differences would not divide us to the point that we would see each other as the enemy. Under real persecution or not, I hope that the common message is Christ and him crucified.

Anonymous said...

The religious freedom we're allowed here in the United States of America has, in my humble opinion, is the single biggest thing holding the church back today. It's too easy to call ourselves Christians in our society, which ends up leading to a lot of wishy washy people who provide a critical mass to hold back real spiritual change and growth. A day is coming in our country, I hope, when Christians might actually be persecuted again for our beliefs. It will be exciting to see what God can and will do when that happens.

Anonymous said...

I think those who are truly committed to being followers of Christ, regardless of the cost, would find each other and be surprised at the "religious" backgrounds of one another.

Anonymous said...

you fundamentalists would separate yourselves even more and still fall apart. you millennialists would say "see! i told you so!" and fail to see the rest of us because you're looking up.

i hope there's a persecution someday. get us back to true christianity and real priorities.

Anonymous said...

Well I found to many Christians that judge each other, even on this site. 'Who is more Christian, or who does more Christian like deeds, or who has the most Christian life.'

I have always felt that if you believe in Jesus, and asked him to save you from your sins and come into your heart, then you are a Christian. No matter which affiliation you belong to, how often you go to chruch, or how much you give to the church.

I would hope everyone would come together, but just by reading so many on this site bicker back and forth on all these post, and make rude comments if your not 'just like them', then it may be a tough road when the time comes.

Anonymous said...

I would certainly hope so. Band together for survival or die out!

It's amazing, too, when you live outside of the U.S. how all the denominational divisions stop mattering as much. You quickly discover that your enemy is Satan and not the Baptists.

Anonymous said...

Wait ... are you saying the Baptists AREN'T of Satan?

Woah. I gotta go rethink my whole theology.

Anonymous said...

Adversity, it either makes you or breaks you. We would really know where we were strong and courageous, and how to cling to our faith. I think we would see others through God's loving eyes and be closer to each other as long as we were all seeking to please Jesus.

Anonymous said...

I just have a random thought pop up. I see you said North American Christians. Are Catholics and Mormons Christians? Or are they Catholics and Mormons. Music or no music, I can worship anywhere and band together. I am not sure I could ever pray to Mary and be somewhat discouraged from bible studies like Catholics are though? I don't know much about Mormons other than they are very different but awesome people with strong families. Respect them a ton, just very different beliefs. I can be friendly to everyone, but I'm not sure I can worship or "band together" with them?

By the way, I'm not saying I think I'm better than them or they aren't going to heaven. I do not want to open that can of worms.

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid we would all die! We can't even agree on cancer research w/o having to pick apart each charity!! And that is a Great cause to support. I think it would be just like Abe said: A house divided against itself cannot stand! I think we would be an awful 'house' bc of all the present divisions!

Anonymous said...

Also, I agree that it would be a good thing if it did happen. We are all here for one reason, why can't we see that and put God first in Everything!! Put away childish acts and love your Christian bretheren. We may not agree but the reason we argue is bc we care!!!

I'm the one that is antialcohol and I don't pick you apart bc I enjoy it. I honestly care for your soul and I have NO idea who you are!! I'm not trying to be better than anyone, I'm trying to be a good example for someone!

I'd like to see everyone on AT vow to put aside petty things and agree that IF this were to happen, WE would band together!!

I am IN!