We are 31 and have about 10k in a cash savings acoount (some of that is saved for specific things, like taxes, vacation, etc). And last time I looked at our retirement, we have about 55k-60k total.
We are 37 and 41. We have about $100K in savings, but no "retirement" as we are self employed. Before my husband started his business four years ago, he required us to have a minimum of $150K in savings so that we would have something to fall back on when/if needed.
1. About 4k 2. Not much, less than 10k 3. About 30k in student loans, 3k in medical bills 4. We give 15% pre-tax income to church, also some additional to missionaries (about 150$ to missionaries about month)
I stay home so we don't have much in savings, but I think its worth it to stay home with my kids!!!!!!!!!!!
1. I think about 3500 or so. 2. None, I know, sad. I hoping I'll inherit from my parents, I know that's sad too. 3. About 50k in student loans, and 9k in cc. BUT WE ARE DONE WITH CREDIT CARDS. Also the mortgage. 4. We give $100 a week to church. I don't know what that is percentagewise but our annual income is about $34,000, so you can figure it out if you want :) We don't give any additional to charity except for at christmas when you sponsor a kid.
I'm a stay at home mom too, and I think its definite worth it too!!!
10:38 --- we have 500k life insurance policy on my husband. About 100k on me. I think that'd be enough life insurance, don't y'all? But I'd have to got back to work when the kids got older.
35 yrs old - no debt; 60K in retirement/emergency fund; fantastic health ins. - covers everything (+rx's) for $12/yr for our entire fam.& a medical savings acct. which contains entire family dedct; 1 mil + in Life ins., $400/ mo to church, debt - house & 1 car
I am the first one who answered (5:45), and I will answer the additional questions.
3. The only debt we have is the mortgage. 4. I think techinally it is 11% of our income that we tithe. 5. We have about $500k on my husband and about $150k on me. 6. I stay at home as well.
1. How much do you have in savings? Rt now only $52,000, we recently had to pay property taxes, so that took out about $11,000.
2. In Retirement? We have a roth ira (retirement) and a lot of stocks. Our total value is around $44,000. We need to invest more!!
3. How much debt do you have? We have NEVER had a credit card, so 0 there. Our new house we paid for as we built- 0 there. Our vehicles, pd cash-0 there too. 100% debt free. Just cable, internet, electric and phone each month. Insurance's we pay yearly.
4. How much do you give to church and/or charity? We give to charity's that are very close to our heart, around 10k a year. That doesn't include the fundraising we do and matching proceeds from local businesses. Last yr we helped bring in over 100k in donations!?! Church, we give about 20% of my husbands wkly income. I stay at home. We give so much time and energy too. We don't buy lesson books, I make them all myself and teach a class. My husband spends many hours studying and teaching also.
To answer 10:38, I'm 1:09. We don't have a lot in life insurance. For us, I believe it is a waste of our money. We have a cheap policy for about $50k each. The reason it is a waste for us is bc we have no payments and no bills, lots of savings and a good start to a hefty retirement. A funeral is only $6,500 and with our recent appraisal, we own over 1.5 million in assets. I could sell a few things if push came to shove but I believe we'd be fine if one of us drops today!
We are part owners of a large company in our town. We also have investment properties that we bought at auctions (cheap) and are well worth the investment. For 'fun' my hubby decided to buy some heavy machinery and loves doing jobs with it.
What is with boys and big toys?!?
You know the no cc and no debt thing is wonderful for us. We love saving money and paying cash! Our credit score is actually -0- bc we've never had to get a loan or had any kind of credit. Despite being worth millions, we look like dead beats on paper!?! Weird huh?
1:14 Do you have any kids? Or do you plan to become pregnant?
What if you got in a car accident and were pregnant and didn't know it? Your husband was killed and you were disabled but able to give birth and had the baby... You couldn't work then.
What would you do then? I'm not trying to be rude, but I think you need more life insurance if you have kids or plan to.
if you don't, (which is great- there's nothing wrong with not having kids by any means, I think its wonderful) then of course you prob don't need alot of life insurance, but wouldn't it be nice to leave something to nieces/nephews, etc etc etc Or even to your church if something happened to you?
1:20, I am not the rich lady, but it sounds like she is self-insured with other assests, so life insurance in her case isn't really a neccesity. If I were here, I would probably get some more just because, but I think they would be fine with out any.
1:20, not to be rude, but read what I wrote before. I have 4 young kids.
How much would you suggest I get? Here's my break down: Over 1.5 million in assets! 52k in savings 44k in retirement. 100k in life insurance. NO debt! We have really good insurance so, disability's, dr's, hospitals would be pd for. The way I see it, when I die, my kids are going to be set! Not to mention small trust funds that they have. (1,000/yr goes into them)
I am actually surprised to see that so many people have so much in savings and retirement. I remeber prior posts of outrageous debts, ppl strapped bc of huge mortgages, etc. With all the houses being foreclosed on this year, this is nice to see, people being smart with their money!
I'm 33 and my hubby is 37 and we both work full time.
1. How much do you have in savings? Together I guess around $4000 in savings
2. In Retirement? We both have 401K's not sure how much are in them total but I'm sure not enough. I know I lost a lot in the recent market crash.
3. How much debt do you have? Not too much. About $6000 in C.C. and 2 car payments and a house payment.
4. How much do you give to church and/or charity? Nothing to the church. But I do give and raise money for charities. Plus I help out a family with a son that is dying. Help buy them things they need.
5. how much life insurance do you have? My hubby has a good amount, but I only have about $30,000 thru work. I know I need more.
I do find we live 'pay check to pay check', but we get by and pay all of our bills on time (I am never late). I always wish for more, but who doesn't right?
1. How much do you have in savings? We have an emergency fund/savings of about $1000.
2. In Retirement? Maybe about $2000?
3. How much debt do you have?
No credit card debt, just one car and I've got about $15,000 in student loans. My husband has about $80,000 in student loans, but we may not have to pay it...hopefully!
4. How much do you give to church and/or charity?
We give $40 a week to church and then randomly to charity as things come up.
We have done the Financial Peace classes and are hoping to follow that and try to save more! We're in our mid twenties so I don't know if our situation is better/worse or the same than others our age.
Oops missed this one. We are 25 and 28. We had over 20K in retirement but the crash made it around 15k. We have 10k available to us but have had 10k in medical bills this year and about that much the next two years also :(. 25k in car debt, 100k on house, and 12k in school loans. Thinking about going back to working PT. I hate debt. He has 250k life insurance and I have 100k life ins. Was our SSN's a question? I can't remember?
Early thirties 1. How much do you have in savings? $30,000 2. In Retirement? $90,000 3. How much debt do you have? Mortgage $135,000 Student Loans $60,000 4. How much do you give to church and/or charity? 3% to church...sad I know. 5. Life ins... About 1/2 mil total.
Most of these questions are now submitted. Please feel free to submit your question and see how others feel. Email me here with a subject line of "Anonymous Truth"
40 comments:
How much do you have in savings right now (cash savings)? How much do you have in retirement? Include your age too please.
We are 31 and have about 10k in a cash savings acoount (some of that is saved for specific things, like taxes, vacation, etc). And last time I looked at our retirement, we have about 55k-60k total.
We are 37 and 41. We have about $100K in savings, but no "retirement" as we are self employed. Before my husband started his business four years ago, he required us to have a minimum of $150K in savings so that we would have something to fall back on when/if needed.
I have 7k in savings. Im 24
I'm under the age of 30 and I have 25K in savings, and about 30K in retirement.
My husband and I are both 26 and have about 30k in savings. We've put away some in IRAs and have 401k's but I'm not sure how much.
I'm feeling depressed now.
We have about 18k in retirement.
We don't even have a savings account, about 2k in my checking account now.
We have about 7 thousand in credit card debt too.
We're in our 30's.
30-$22,500 in savings. Not sure what's in husband's retirement.
This is pretty impressive, but very depressing. We are 40, have about $2,000 in savings and about $3,000 in 401k.
Can I ask how much debt you guys have?
We have no debt but only 2 thousand in savings and very little in retirement.
8:01 here....the only debt I have is what I owe on my house.
7:44 - Our only debt is our house.
Another question to add on, how much do you give to church?
We give about 8%, which we could give more.
I'm 8:34
For those of you that haven't answered yet, answer these:
1. How much do you have in savings?
2. In Retirement?
3. How much debt do you have?
4. How much do you give to church and/or charity?
we are in our mid 30's and we only have a few thousand in savings and I am not sure how much is in retirement maybe 50K or so
1. About 4k
2. Not much, less than 10k
3. About 30k in student loans, 3k in medical bills
4. We give 15% pre-tax income to church, also some additional to missionaries (about 150$ to missionaries about month)
I stay home so we don't have much in savings, but I think its worth it to stay home with my kids!!!!!!!!!!!
10:18, oh and we'd 34 and 31
8:01 again...I give 8% to the church and (give or take) 10% to different charities.
My mortgage is over 700 a month.
I'm happy that all you young ones are better prepared than this old reader is.
Living above means and will never get ahead.
Here is another question to think about..
How's your life insurance? If your spouse was to die today will you have enough to live on?
We're 24 and 25.
1. I think about 3500 or so.
2. None, I know, sad. I hoping I'll inherit from my parents, I know that's sad too.
3. About 50k in student loans, and 9k in cc. BUT WE ARE DONE WITH CREDIT CARDS. Also the mortgage.
4. We give $100 a week to church. I don't know what that is percentagewise but our annual income is about $34,000, so you can figure it out if you want :) We don't give any additional to charity except for at christmas when you sponsor a kid.
I'm a stay at home mom too, and I think its definite worth it too!!!
10:38 --- we have 500k life insurance policy on my husband. About 100k on me. I think that'd be enough life insurance, don't y'all? But I'd have to got back to work when the kids got older.
10:38 -- how much life insurance do you have?
35 yrs old - no debt; 60K in retirement/emergency fund; fantastic health ins. - covers everything (+rx's) for $12/yr for our entire fam.& a medical savings acct. which contains entire family dedct; 1 mil + in Life ins.,
$400/ mo to church,
debt - house & 1 car
I am the first one who answered (5:45), and I will answer the additional questions.
3. The only debt we have is the mortgage.
4. I think techinally it is 11% of our income that we tithe.
5. We have about $500k on my husband and about $150k on me.
6. I stay at home as well.
It is interesting to see everyone's responses.
1. How much do you have in savings?
Rt now only $52,000, we recently had to pay property taxes, so that took out about $11,000.
2. In Retirement?
We have a roth ira (retirement) and a lot of stocks. Our total value is around $44,000. We need to invest more!!
3. How much debt do you have?
We have NEVER had a credit card, so 0 there. Our new house we paid for as we built- 0 there. Our vehicles, pd cash-0 there too. 100% debt free. Just cable, internet, electric and phone each month. Insurance's we pay yearly.
4. How much do you give to church and/or charity? We give to charity's that are very close to our heart, around 10k a year. That doesn't include the fundraising we do and matching proceeds from local businesses. Last yr we helped bring in over 100k in donations!?! Church, we give about 20% of my husbands wkly income. I stay at home. We give so much time and energy too. We don't buy lesson books, I make them all myself and teach a class. My husband spends many hours studying and teaching also.
We are 27 years old with 4 young children.
1:09 what is your husband's income?? Seems like it is a lot. Good job on the 100% no debt!
To answer 10:38, I'm 1:09. We don't have a lot in life insurance. For us, I believe it is a waste of our money. We have a cheap policy for about $50k each. The reason it is a waste for us is bc we have no payments and no bills, lots of savings and a good start to a hefty retirement. A funeral is only $6,500 and with our recent appraisal, we own over 1.5 million in assets. I could sell a few things if push came to shove but I believe we'd be fine if one of us drops today!
1:09 - Are you the one that posted awhile back that your grocery bill was like 5000 a month? (or something like that?
We are part owners of a large company in our town. We also have investment properties that we bought at auctions (cheap) and are well worth the investment. For 'fun' my hubby decided to buy some heavy machinery and loves doing jobs with it.
What is with boys and big toys?!?
You know the no cc and no debt thing is wonderful for us. We love saving money and paying cash! Our credit score is actually -0- bc we've never had to get a loan or had any kind of credit. Despite being worth millions, we look like dead beats on paper!?! Weird huh?
Ha, 1:18 probably. It's pretty high!!
1:14 Do you have any kids? Or do you plan to become pregnant?
What if you got in a car accident and were pregnant and didn't know it? Your husband was killed and you were disabled but able to give birth and had the baby... You couldn't work then.
What would you do then? I'm not trying to be rude, but I think you need more life insurance if you have kids or plan to.
if you don't, (which is great- there's nothing wrong with not having kids by any means, I think its wonderful) then of course you prob don't need alot of life insurance, but wouldn't it be nice to leave something to nieces/nephews, etc etc etc Or even to your church if something happened to you?
1:20, I am not the rich lady, but it sounds like she is self-insured with other assests, so life insurance in her case isn't really a neccesity. If I were here, I would probably get some more just because, but I think they would be fine with out any.
1:20, not to be rude, but read what I wrote before. I have 4 young kids.
How much would you suggest I get? Here's my break down: Over 1.5 million in assets! 52k in savings 44k in retirement. 100k in life insurance. NO debt! We have really good insurance so, disability's, dr's, hospitals would be pd for. The way I see it, when I die, my kids are going to be set! Not to mention small trust funds that they have. (1,000/yr goes into them)
I am actually surprised to see that so many people have so much in savings and retirement. I remeber prior posts of outrageous debts, ppl strapped bc of huge mortgages, etc. With all the houses being foreclosed on this year, this is nice to see, people being smart with their money!
I'm 33 and my hubby is 37 and we both work full time.
1. How much do you have in savings?
Together I guess around $4000 in savings
2. In Retirement?
We both have 401K's not sure how much are in them total but I'm sure not enough. I know I lost a lot in the recent market crash.
3. How much debt do you have?
Not too much. About $6000 in C.C. and 2 car payments and a house payment.
4. How much do you give to church and/or charity?
Nothing to the church. But I do give and raise money for charities. Plus I help out a family with a son that is dying. Help buy them things they need.
5. how much life insurance do you have?
My hubby has a good amount, but I only have about $30,000 thru work. I know I need more.
I do find we live 'pay check to pay check', but we get by and pay all of our bills on time (I am never late). I always wish for more, but who doesn't right?
1:32 - i think all of the people in debt and w/ probs aren't posting!
1. How much do you have in savings?
We have an emergency fund/savings of about $1000.
2. In Retirement?
Maybe about $2000?
3. How much debt do you have?
No credit card debt, just one car and I've got about $15,000 in student loans. My husband has about $80,000 in student loans, but we may not have to pay it...hopefully!
4. How much do you give to church and/or charity?
We give $40 a week to church and then randomly to charity as things come up.
We have done the Financial Peace classes and are hoping to follow that and try to save more! We're in our mid twenties so I don't know if our situation is better/worse or the same than others our age.
Oops missed this one. We are 25 and 28. We had over 20K in retirement but the crash made it around 15k. We have 10k available to us but have had 10k in medical bills this year and about that much the next two years also :(. 25k in car debt, 100k on house, and 12k in school loans. Thinking about going back to working PT. I hate debt. He has 250k life insurance and I have 100k life ins. Was our SSN's a question? I can't remember?
25 years old, single, no kids
1. How much do you have in savings?
Right now around 18,000
2. In Retirement?
Work - 14,000 (other misc investments probably around 20,000)
3. How much debt do you have?
Mortgage around 830/month usually try to pay 900/month hoping to pay it off sooner
4. How much do you give to church and/or charity?
Combined around 4000 a year
I have some life insurance policy but I have no idea how much it is for it's through work.
Early thirties
1. How much do you have in savings?
$30,000
2. In Retirement?
$90,000
3. How much debt do you have?
Mortgage $135,000
Student Loans $60,000
4. How much do you give to church and/or charity?
3% to church...sad I know.
5. Life ins...
About 1/2 mil total.
Post a Comment