Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Do you think it is fair that the CEO of the Susan Komen Foundation receives a salary of $459,406? What about the CEO of the Central Florida YMCA - receives a salary of $341,693? And the CEO of World Vision makes $376,799/ year ? Compassion Int'l CEO earns $206,673? The Deputy CEO of the American Cancer society earns $1,027,306 and the other CEO of the American Cancer society earns $685,884 per year. Also the CEO of the Oklahoma City food bank (regional food bank of OK) earns $122,637/year. Don't forget they get bonuses as well!!!!!! Do you think these salaries reflect good use of the donated money???? (For proof and to see the salaries of other charity CEO's, visit www.charitynavigator.com)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think we should say "You can't make that much money! It isn't fair!", just don't give them money and give your money to other charities.

Anonymous said...

I don't know what all they have to do for their job so it's kind of hard to say.

Anonymous said...

NO it's not fair. But no salary is ever really fair. Women and men in the same jobs are paid unfairly. Doctors at hospitals vs. private practice are paid unfairly. Even 'charities' have to be run as businesses. I sure wouldn't want to be the CEO of one of those companies. If that's what it takes to get the best person for the job to run those important charities, then it's worth it. Think of all that the American Cancer Society does. Can we really say no that's not a fair salary don't pay then that much when what they do is saving lives???

Anonymous said...

Intriguing website.

Anonymous said...

If giving your money bothers you when the CEO's make so much, donate your time instead. Or find a smaller charity that doesn't pay their CEO's so much.

I have found that Christian Services of Oklahoma does a very good job of managing their money.

Anonymous said...

Susan G. Komen, World Vision and American Cancer Society are all HUGE entities. In addition to monetary donations, they receive some money from the government to fund research, etc.

I don't think anyone would deny the good things that these charities have done to serve their causes. Anyone who has seen what The Susan G. Komen Foundation does when a loved one is diagnosed with breast cancer can see that for themselves.

Since these charities are so big, someone has to be accountable for the money. And it should be someone highly qualified, so I have no problem with how much they get paid.

Anonymous said...

I agree with 8:09, huge organizations require huge responsibilites. I'm sure the CEO of all those organizations earn their money. Even though they are a non-profit it's still a business. They are trying to make money.
CEOs of huge businesses make way more money.

Anonymous said...

One way to look at it:

Is it fair that children go hungry when donated money (that could be used to feed them) goes to the salary of the CEO that is well over the top?

I'm not saying they should be poverty level by any means, but I think that $100k-$150k salary is definitely enough!!!!!!!

I know of a non-profit CEO who only earns about $35k year - about the same as teachers - and he does a great job.

Anonymous said...

I don't support the Susan Komen foundation anyway, some of their money pays for abortions. That is TRUE it is not a rumor. It is through Planned Parenthood.

Anonymous said...

If the CEO's are getting their job done, continuing to raise funds for the organization and keeping the name held to its high standards yes pay them the money.
I agree with what 7:39 said about donating your time.

Anonymous said...

Tough. I think you need highly qualified people to successfully run organizations like that which means having to compete with corporate salaries, BUT I have heard of people who work for organizations where they truly believe in the cause they are working for and voluntarily take a lesser salary so that more of their income can be used for the organization they work for. I read an article a while back talking about how Rick Warren who preaches for Saddleback Church in California declined his salary from the church once he started making money from speaking engagements and his books so that more money could be used for the work the church was trying to do. I admire that.

What is sad is that many of those CEO's make NICE salaries, but if you work for a non-profit as an average employee, often you don't make much at all.

Anonymous said...

Hmm. What kind of salary would YOU want to receive for doing that work? Would YOU work for free?

Anonymous said...

The worker is worth his wages.

Anonymous said...

I have worked at a non-profit, and believe me, most of those people are not well paid and are very dedicated to what they do! It's tough work, and often they're putting in way more than 40 hours a week. Plus you have to consider that we don't know the cost of living for some of these CEO's. They have as much right to earn a good living for the family as you and I do.