This is an experiment to see how honest people can be if they don't have to identify themselves. Some silly, some deep, but all require honesty.
Friday, September 18, 2009
Reader Rally
First one here leave a question.
41 comments:
Anonymous
said...
What are your thoughts on homeschooling? Even though the schools are "good" in Edmond, I have really started to consider homeschooling because of the way the public schools are going in general and would like your opinions.
My only thing about homeschooling is the social aspect. From an outsiders view, homeschool kids do not interact with other kids as much as public/private school kids. But if you have your kids involved in clubs/sports than your kids would be receiving some social interaction.
I have young children and I am beginning to really weigh my options as far as school is concerned. Depending on the day, depends on my decisions. My husband and very pro-public and I have always leaned towards homeschooling. As a former teacher, I can say that just because someone is teacher does not make them a teacher. Educationally, I have lost a lot of faith in the system. Socially, it is scary as a mom but at the end of the day, I have to know God is our rock and our shield. I don't want to keep my kids home with me out of fear but because I know that it is what God has called me to do. Every family is different. I know some amazingly well-adjusted and crazy smart homeschool kids and then I know some that aren't...and I can say the same about public schooled kids.
But if you think about it, how did we think socialization only happens in a group of 300 + peers of their own age? Homeschooling kids interact with a variety of people of all ages more frequently from church groups to repairmen to sports and homeschooling clubs, so don't they get more socialization? Unless the parents lock them away in their room of course.
I agree that I have been thinking about homeschooling. My kids so much busy work at public school it doesn't really leave much time for socialization anyways.
Ok, let me say this straight out: I'm a teacher, in public schools.
That being said, I think every parents has the right to educate his or her child as they see fit. I actually wish parents had more choice in the matter.
You just have to really know what and who you're doing it for. If you bump heads a lot with one of your children, homeschooling is only going to make that problem worse. If you get along great with one of your kids, and bump heads with another one, not only will the one you bump heads with resent you but the sibling as well.
If you do your research and take it seriously, and make sure your children have social interaction through church/sports/etc then there should be no issue.
But I want to assure everyone that sending children to public schools in Oklahoma is not like sending your kids to school in other places. I believe Oklahoma is really a great place to raise a family (and I've lived in LOTS of other states). I've never heard any crazy doctrine being taught and we still get to celebrate -gasp- Christmas!
I've seen lots of homeschooled students struggle in college. They are used to being evaluated based on how their score compares to their previous scores and don't seem to get the concept that there is a right answer to something and that answer has nothing to do with how well they did on the same taask last time. I don't know how they're being graded on things, but I've seen that problem happen time and again here at the college.
I have know children that benefitted from homeschooling and I have know some kids that their parents had no business doing it.
My number one concern about homeschooling, does your child ever get a chance to share their faith and show God's love. It seems that where I live, most homeschool people do alot together, have the same beliefs and all are from the same ethnic and socio-economic background. In public school your child may be in class with someone from a different ethnic and socio-economical background on a daily basis. They'll be able to share their faith and get a chance to show compassion for others. I just don't see that homeschool kids get a lot of exposure in those areas.
My other conern, does your child ever learn to obey and respect authority from anyone else but you. As a parent are you always there at homeschool coops, sports activities, and church. If you are always around, your child will never look to others adults as authority figures or someone to obey. They will always be looking at you.
Some homeschool children I've known have been treated and spoken to like little adults by their parents. Do they ever get to be kids?
Do they get a chance to make mistakes without mom and dad around? And learn from them with other adults help. Even if something isn't handled exactly how you would want it, it is still a chance to talk to your child about how you would have handled it with God's help.
I find it interesting that so many people think they can homeschool their kids.
Would you go to see a doctor who didn't have a medical degree about a health issue? Would you use a financial invester to invest your money if they didn't have a degree?
So how can a parent teach their children math, science or social studies if they don't have a teaching degree.
I agree that as a parent you know your child the best and you know what will work best. A few concerns I have with homeschooling is definitely the social aspects, but there are other ways for children to be social even if they aren't in a classroom setting w/other kids. Another concern of mine would be the choice of electives. I went to large HS (not in Edmond) and we had many electives to choose from, for example accounting, business law, astrology, finance type class, woodworking, and many others I can't remember. One last concern would be learning to adjust to different teaching styles. If you go through public HS there are 4 years and 2 semesters/year, we had 7 periods during the day. So by the end of HS I had taken 56 classes and had a couple of teachers more than once. This allowed me to learn different teaching styles and taught me how to use their teaching styles to work for me. Personally I found this very helpful when I went to college. Every teacher/professor is different and isn’t going to change for 1 student. I don’t know a lot about homeschooling since that is something I didn’t do, but I do know about the public school system. My personal choice for my kids will be public school.
I think OK's early childhood is great. I have met our Pre-K and K teachers and they have been amazing. They give us the curriculum and it is a ton of stuff. They give us the schedule of the entire day and it is impressive (with a great balance of recess, free time, imaginative play, etc. I couldn't do what she does! When the kids get older, I may change my mind.
I think if you want to homeschool because you love teaching and want them to really succeed then that is a great reason. Along with getting them socially active like everyone has said. I have met very socially akward people at college and found out they were homeschooled! I even had a friend who seemed normal socially but she talked above everyone else. She wanted everyone to know she was smarter which turned people away also. Balance is key!
I do not agree with people who homeschool to keep their kids sheltered. My cousin was never allowed to watch anything more than g rated movies, hang out with friends at the mall, go on any dates, etc! She went to college and made it a mission to do everything she was never allowed to do. I WANT my kids to hear other views while they are living with me so I have the opportunities to share what and why we believe something else. I know many kids that come from conservative christian upbringing who leave and are the exact opposite because they never knew what was on the other side.
I WILL say my kid hear bad language in the public school (which is also in private school). Also sassy attitude, but it gives us the opportunity to talk about what we don't say, how God wants us to act. How we should still be nice to those people, but not do what they do. I want to teach them not to be a follower. If you homeschool and they just follow you...well they are a follower! When they grow up they will follow someone else and it may not be someone like you!
I'm not concerned so much with homeschooling, as I am with the new 'online' school programs. We've had a 20% decrease in students this year! That's a lot! They are able to log on for an hour or two a day and do school work and that's it! At least with homeschooling (the one's I know) they do interact w/ other homeschool families, they do field trips and learn 10+ hours a day(there are learning opportunities everywhere!), not the mandatory online 2 hours! That is scary!
This is a great question, and so far it's being handled really well today. No flames, no insults, no denigrating the other point of view. Congratulations, AT! :)
My view on this is let parents decide how they want to raise their own kids. Homeschooling should be made a really easy option for parent to choose. Public or private schooling as well. Socialization is not the most important thing, nor are good grades. If your child is an A student, but a jerk, well there's a problem. I think it's far better to be respectful and righteous than smart and socialized.
Parents of all stripes have the primary responsiblity, not givernment, not schools, not the homeschool co-op, not church. And parents' first job is making sure their kids are "good." It doesn't matter if that happens at home or at school.
9:27, using your doctor analogy.. do you take your kids to the doctor for every scrap and boo-boo? Are you not capable of handling that even though you are not a medicial professional and instead just a mom? Of course you can.
I think parents doubt themselves too much, there are great currirculum guides out there and co-ops. If you wanted to do it, you could and could do a good job.
I use to be a teacher, I know what the public schools are like, belive me, just because a teacher has a degree does not mean they are the best person to be teaching your kid. And also nowadays, when do you think your kid gets to socialize at school? Most are dropping recess and lunches are silent with no talking.
1:12- a boo-boo is addition. Algebra/calculus equal surgeries!! I don't necessarily think you have to get a degree. But take time to learn it and learn how to explain and teach it!
It was not that long ago that I was in school and there was plenty of time to socialize. I haven't heard recess going away at all?? Lunch you can't scream, but you can very much talk. Several classes like art, weightlifting, woodworking you could talk the entire time practically. In HS, we were able to eat off campus so had a lot of time there. Even during regular classes there were times of talking. We were able to visit all throughout the day and the 5 minutes in between classes, before and after school (before the busses leave). PLENTY!
Of course there are teachers who shouldn't be teaching. May even some that are jerks. I had some in HS, but now I can handle my boss being a jerk! I know how to respect authority. I also have great mentors I still talk to today that taught me in school.
I know homeschool kids who did not go to college this year because they were too nervous. If you have your kids do HS at home, please send them to college classes so they can be prepared for college. In college, they can't ask a million questions and ask the teacher to spell things out for them. Sometimes, they give very little instruction and you have to figure it out. I'm not saying this can't be accomplished with homeschool. It can. Just something to think about if you decide to homeschool. Oh, and they need to do group projects with other homeschooled kids and learn how to work together on something and not always do everything by themselves.
My husband works with teens and because of that and the teens I see I would consider homeschooling. Parents are in denial if they think the public system is the best place for their kids. It isn't. And if they think their kids are a great influence for "wordly" kids, Chances are that isn't happening, but the opposite is happening. Why would a wordly crowded government run school be a better place for your child to spend most of their time, than with 1 on 1 teaching and with more time for family activites, more time to do service in the community, more time to focus on the importance of building a strong faith, more time to pursue intrests and talents?
Do I think it would be incredibly hard to be homeschooling mom and provide a quality education? YES! And that it would be hard to manage meaningful social outings? YES! But sometimes it isn't easy to the best thing for your kids. Now, I am not saying homeschooling is the best for everyone, but it certaintly shouldn't be portrayed as a horrible choice and parents are only doing it because they are control freaks who don't ever want to let their babies grow up.
Public school teacher here, yes recesses are going away, maybe not so much in OK, but it is due to liabilities and more time needed to teach for testing. Yes, silent lunches are more frequent that I would like. It is sad, but due to the lack of discipline it is a must.
I had always been opposed to homeschooling until I had my own children. My children are zoned in a fantastic public school and I have no problems with them attending there.
There school doesn't have a recess past kindergarten and they are only allowed to whisper during lunch. The way their lunch is handled drives me insane.
I just began homeschooling my kindergarten age child this year. My husband and I feel like God is calling us to do this for our children and our family and for His glory.
As it has already been talked about there are so many options socially now for homeschooled children. Things like city club sports, community children's choirs/drama groups, homeschooling groups, and not to mention church, bible class and church related activities. If done right socialization is not an issue.
On the topic of curriculum, there are hundreds of choices to fit your child's learning style, and are laid out nicely for the teacher to follow. There are also plenty of electives to choose from. You might be very surprised if you started researching it. I have a teaching degree and taught in public and private schools. In most public schools today so many children get left behind and forgotten about. School administrators and teachers are so concerned about "teaching to the test", they have "got to get the scores!" instead of teaching the children. I'm sorry but that is just ridiculous!!
On the other hand there are plenty of things and people that I do not want my children being exposed to at an early age, and besides that they get to deal with plenty of worldliness in community activities they are involved in, in stores, at the park, and sadly enough even at church.
Are we to be lights in the world? Yes, we are. BUT I feel like God is calling me to train my children how to be light and salt so that they can go out and BE light and salt in a depraved and wicked world. How can you expect a young child to go out and witness about Christ? My husband is also a youth minister, and deals with teens on a daily basis. More often than not our children are being led astray instead of witnessing for Christ. Here is a verse to consider: 1 Corinthians 15:33 Do not be misled: "Bad company corrupts good character."
I have seen homeschooling done poorly and I have seen it done well, with extremely successful children to show for it. Is it the right choice for everyone? ......NO. Is it the right choice for me and my family, yes. Please don't look down on me for doing what God is leading me to do. Support me, as my christian sister/brother even though it may not be your choice. I am trying to raise my children to get to heaven just like you are, I'm just doing it in a different way. God Bless!
I know you probably don't mean it, but the "Salt and Light" argument is being grossly misapplied to the children. The fact is children at the are not mature enough nor are they properly equipped. Have you thought about it in a way that if you homeschool your kids that you will actually have more time to teach them how to be salt and light under your guidance?
Christian parents are commanded to place their children under godly and Christian teaching. (See Col. 2:8; 2 Cor. 10:3-5; Deut. 6:1-9; Mal. 4:6; 2 Cor. 6:14-19 along with Luke 6:40. Matt. 22:37-38 and Eph. 6:4)
8:49 here: Sorry I forgot to mention one thing. Most homeschoolers test at a higher grade level than public school children their age. Just some extra food for thought. Thanks.
8:39, I wish I knew you were, I am pondering homeschooling my child next year who will be in K. I would really like to talk to someone and get advice on how to get started and just other advice in general. You sound like you would be a good person to talk to.
I am 8:41 poster and almost posted the 1 Corinthians 15:33 passage too!
8:41/8:46--This is 8:39. I would really like to be a help to you and am trying to figure out a way that we can get in touch without leaving our personal info. on this site. If you have any ideas let me know via this conversation and I will do the same. It is a huge decision but I believe it is well worth it!! Hopefully we can connect somehow!
8:46 and 8:49- You both can easily create a yahoo email address. janedoe@yahoo.com! Then post that.
I am one that listed concerns but it was just trying to help the person who asked the question. I don't think anyone here thinks public school is perfect and it produces perfect kids! I'm just helping you be aware of problems I have seen from homeschooled teens. I've also realized problems of non-homeschooled kids. I will say, Of course homeschool kids test higher! There aren't many single parents or DHS kids that are in the homeschooling stats. Not saying DHS or Single parents mean dumb kids. I'm just stating stats. Low socioeconomic status kids test lower and THAT is a high percentage of public schools. Kids who don't have parents that help them out with their homework or inforce and encourage schoolwork, they do get left behind. Parents should be teachers even if their kids are in public/private schools. If we compare apples to apples, the outcome will be the same.
Homeschools that are organized (and follow the "warnings" that have been listed on here) are going to produce the same as public/private schools that have parents who are involved and who parent and talk to their kids. There are plenty of good Christian teens who made it through school without being the troubled teens youth ministers see. They did stand out. The main factor i've noticed is they had awesome parents who taught them self-confidence and had an open communication relationship!
No way is BETTER than the other. Whichever you prefer or can afford, just be involved and informed! Good luck to the OP!
What about the Salt and Light argument for you as parents?
We are Christian parents who send our kids to public school, and we are very involved with the schools. We expect our kids to shine the light of Jesus, but we expect them to do that in following our example, too. We are involved and don't leave everything up to the school.
Teachers have it hard. I am pretty sure they appreciate kind, involved, happy parents who appreciate their hard work.
I work hard to be salt and light. My kids work hard to be kids.
What is wrong with me training my children to be salt and light at home. I can still be salt and light and be that example to my children when we are having daily interactions with non-christians. Just because I homeschool my children does not mean that I hide them away from the world. We go out in the world everyday and they see my christian example no matter where we are. They don't have to be in school to see my example. As you do, I work hard too to be salt and light. My kids don't have to go to school in order for me to do that. I am equipping and training my children to go out in the world to be that salt and light. This is training they certainly wouldn't get in school. I get to have more of an influence over my children instead of the world having that influence. Homeschooling may not be the right choice for everyone. I am not condeming you for sending your children to public school so please don't condem me for keeping mine at home. You made the right choice for your family and I am making the right choice for mine. I pray that God blesses each of us for the choices we have made concerning our children. We all have the same goal in mind!
One of the things that bugs me about people who homeschool who talk about the bad influence of people in the public schools is this:
When you subtract your kids from the equation, that's fewer great kids and great families at the school.
I understand your point of view about society at large not being your responsibility and your own kids being your first priority. I hear you and I get it.
But your actions are frustrating, too. They don't come across as part of a solution for anyone other than you.
Or, maybe I am giving my children good spiritual training at home and preparing them for battle. So that when the time comes for them to leave the nest then they are prepared for battle and are able to go out and "fight the good fight and keep the faith" (from 2 Tim. 4:7). Once again, as I have already stated, homeschooling is NOT for everyone. It's hard and takes ALOT of sacrifice! Just because you send your children to public school doesn't not mean I think you are wrong. My husband and I took 5 years to make this decision with a lot of prayer and research and we believe this is God's path for OUR family. Is it wrong for me to follow that path because some may disagree? I don't think so. I just wish some of my christian brothers and sisters could support what we are doing for the spiritual well being of our family and children instead of criticizing it because it's not the choice they made and they don't like it.
This is the 8:41 poster, to the homsechooling mom, can you tell me what books you read, websites you visted that really helped you and that you would recommend?
To 8:41, are you on facebook? This is the homeschooling mom. My husband had an idea if you want to get in touch with me fax your email, or phone # or your facebook name to our church office. fax # is 918-534-3103. Send it to Attn. Homeschool Mom and my husband will bring it home to me. Just a thought if you are interested in connecting.
One book that I read is called, Home Sweet Homeschool, this woman homeschooled all or her 8 kids and all of them are highly successful adults. I have a friend that recommended another book that sounded really good but can't think of the name right now, it's something like "A Matter of the Heart" ?? Some other books are: The Right Choice, Home Grown Kids, You, Can Teach Your Child Successfully, Children at Risk by Dobson.
For curriculum AOP.com has several different curriculum styles to choose from. I am using the lifepac math set for kinder. by Alpha Omega this year and really like it. I am using the Sing, Spell, Read and Write curriculum for language arts. My girls love to sing and so far this curriculum has been awesome and she is loving it!! Both of these curriculums I have found very easy to use with great instructions set up the teacher. All of the Lifepac series is very user friendly! Some other curriculums that friends are using: ABeka, Saxon, Bob Jones, Sonlight...... Alot of your curriculum decision depends on your teaching and prep time and your child's learning style. There is lots of awesome stuff out there!
To 8:15--for our reasons please refer back to my previous postings: 8:39 pm, 11:44 pm, and 1:48 pm. I think I stated all of our reasons in those postings. We prayed and studied alot. We did not come to this decision lightly! But we felt that this is the way that God was leading us. And we have a great homeschooling group in our town that provides LOTS of social opportunities for our children.
As for private schools in our area-- We felt there were none that fit our spiritual needs and doctrine. We did not want our children being taught another denominations doctrines and then having to undo that when we got home. We felt it would be too confusing at a young age. With my husband being a minister we will, as our kids get older, talk about other religions and doctrines and look to the Bible to give the answers on what is the truth. They will experience through our homeschooling group other religious ideas and doctrines that we can go home and talk about together. Also the private schools in our area are not very affordable when you are living on a minister's salary.
Most of these questions are now submitted. Please feel free to submit your question and see how others feel. Email me here with a subject line of "Anonymous Truth"
41 comments:
What are your thoughts on homeschooling? Even though the schools are "good" in Edmond, I have really started to consider homeschooling because of the way the public schools are going in general and would like your opinions.
My only thing about homeschooling is the social aspect. From an outsiders view, homeschool kids do not interact with other kids as much as public/private school kids. But if you have your kids involved in clubs/sports than your kids would be receiving some social interaction.
I have young children and I am beginning to really weigh my options as far as school is concerned. Depending on the day, depends on my decisions. My husband and very pro-public and I have always leaned towards homeschooling. As a former teacher, I can say that just because someone is teacher does not make them a teacher. Educationally, I have lost a lot of faith in the system. Socially, it is scary as a mom but at the end of the day, I have to know God is our rock and our shield. I don't want to keep my kids home with me out of fear but because I know that it is what God has called me to do. Every family is different. I know some amazingly well-adjusted and crazy smart homeschool kids and then I know some that aren't...and I can say the same about public schooled kids.
But if you think about it, how did we think socialization only happens in a group of 300 + peers of their own age? Homeschooling kids interact with a variety of people of all ages more frequently from church groups to repairmen to sports and homeschooling clubs, so don't they get more socialization? Unless the parents lock them away in their room of course.
I agree that I have been thinking about homeschooling. My kids so much busy work at public school it doesn't really leave much time for socialization anyways.
Ok, let me say this straight out: I'm a teacher, in public schools.
That being said, I think every parents has the right to educate his or her child as they see fit. I actually wish parents had more choice in the matter.
You just have to really know what and who you're doing it for. If you bump heads a lot with one of your children, homeschooling is only going to make that problem worse. If you get along great with one of your kids, and bump heads with another one, not only will the one you bump heads with resent you but the sibling as well.
If you do your research and take it seriously, and make sure your children have social interaction through church/sports/etc then there should be no issue.
But I want to assure everyone that sending children to public schools in Oklahoma is not like sending your kids to school in other places. I believe Oklahoma is really a great place to raise a family (and I've lived in LOTS of other states). I've never heard any crazy doctrine being taught and we still get to celebrate -gasp- Christmas!
I've seen lots of homeschooled students struggle in college. They are used to being evaluated based on how their score compares to their previous scores and don't seem to get the concept that there is a right answer to something and that answer has nothing to do with how well they did on the same taask last time. I don't know how they're being graded on things, but I've seen that problem happen time and again here at the college.
8:43, I have seen public kids school kids REALLY struggle in college too with basic subjects they should knowledgable in.
I have know children that benefitted from homeschooling and I have know some kids that their parents had no business doing it.
My number one concern about homeschooling, does your child ever get a chance to share their faith and show God's love. It seems that where I live, most homeschool people do alot together, have the same beliefs and all are from the same ethnic and socio-economic background. In public school your child may be in class with someone from a different ethnic and socio-economical background on a daily basis. They'll be able to share their faith and get a chance to show compassion for others. I just don't see that homeschool kids get a lot of exposure in those areas.
My other conern, does your child ever learn to obey and respect authority from anyone else but you. As a parent are you always there at homeschool coops, sports activities, and church. If you are always around, your child will never look to others adults as authority figures or someone to obey. They will always be looking at you.
Some homeschool children I've known have been treated and spoken to like little adults by their parents. Do they ever get to be kids?
Do they get a chance to make mistakes without mom and dad around? And learn from them with other adults help. Even if something isn't handled exactly how you would want it, it is still a chance to talk to your child about how you would have handled it with God's help.
I find it interesting that so many people think they can homeschool their kids.
Would you go to see a doctor who didn't have a medical degree about a health issue? Would you use a financial invester to invest your money if they didn't have a degree?
So how can a parent teach their children math, science or social studies if they don't have a teaching degree.
I agree that as a parent you know your child the best and you know what will work best.
A few concerns I have with homeschooling is definitely the social aspects, but there are other ways for children to be social even if they aren't in a classroom setting w/other kids.
Another concern of mine would be the choice of electives. I went to large HS (not in Edmond) and we had many electives to choose from, for example accounting, business law, astrology, finance type class, woodworking, and many others I can't remember.
One last concern would be learning to adjust to different teaching styles. If you go through public HS there are 4 years and 2 semesters/year, we had 7 periods during the day. So by the end of HS I had taken 56 classes and had a couple of teachers more than once. This allowed me to learn different teaching styles and taught me how to use their teaching styles to work for me. Personally I found this very helpful when I went to college. Every teacher/professor is different and isn’t going to change for 1 student.
I don’t know a lot about homeschooling since that is something I didn’t do, but I do know about the public school system. My personal choice for my kids will be public school.
I think OK's early childhood is great. I have met our Pre-K and K teachers and they have been amazing. They give us the curriculum and it is a ton of stuff. They give us the schedule of the entire day and it is impressive (with a great balance of recess, free time, imaginative play, etc. I couldn't do what she does! When the kids get older, I may change my mind.
I think if you want to homeschool because you love teaching and want them to really succeed then that is a great reason. Along with getting them socially active like everyone has said. I have met very socially akward people at college and found out they were homeschooled! I even had a friend who seemed normal socially but she talked above everyone else. She wanted everyone to know she was smarter which turned people away also. Balance is key!
I do not agree with people who homeschool to keep their kids sheltered. My cousin was never allowed to watch anything more than g rated movies, hang out with friends at the mall, go on any dates, etc! She went to college and made it a mission to do everything she was never allowed to do. I WANT my kids to hear other views while they are living with me so I have the opportunities to share what and why we believe something else. I know many kids that come from conservative christian upbringing who leave and are the exact opposite because they never knew what was on the other side.
I WILL say my kid hear bad language in the public school (which is also in private school). Also sassy attitude, but it gives us the opportunity to talk about what we don't say, how God wants us to act. How we should still be nice to those people, but not do what they do. I want to teach them not to be a follower. If you homeschool and they just follow you...well they are a follower! When they grow up they will follow someone else and it may not be someone like you!
I'm not concerned so much with homeschooling, as I am with the new 'online' school programs. We've had a 20% decrease in students this year! That's a lot! They are able to log on for an hour or two a day and do school work and that's it! At least with homeschooling (the one's I know) they do interact w/ other homeschool families, they do field trips and learn 10+ hours a day(there are learning opportunities everywhere!), not the mandatory online 2 hours! That is scary!
This is a great question, and so far it's being handled really well today. No flames, no insults, no denigrating the other point of view. Congratulations, AT! :)
My view on this is let parents decide how they want to raise their own kids. Homeschooling should be made a really easy option for parent to choose. Public or private schooling as well. Socialization is not the most important thing, nor are good grades. If your child is an A student, but a jerk, well there's a problem. I think it's far better to be respectful and righteous than smart and socialized.
Parents of all stripes have the primary responsiblity, not givernment, not schools, not the homeschool co-op, not church. And parents' first job is making sure their kids are "good." It doesn't matter if that happens at home or at school.
I was all prepared to type something out and then read 9:27...I feel that covers my thoughts pretty well..
9:27, using your doctor analogy.. do you take your kids to the doctor for every scrap and boo-boo? Are you not capable of handling that even though you are not a medicial professional and instead just a mom? Of course you can.
I think parents doubt themselves too much, there are great currirculum guides out there and co-ops. If you wanted to do it, you could and could do a good job.
I use to be a teacher, I know what the public schools are like, belive me, just because a teacher has a degree does not mean they are the best person to be teaching your kid. And also nowadays, when do you think your kid gets to socialize at school? Most are dropping recess and lunches are silent with no talking.
1:12- a boo-boo is addition. Algebra/calculus equal surgeries!! I don't necessarily think you have to get a degree. But take time to learn it and learn how to explain and teach it!
It was not that long ago that I was in school and there was plenty of time to socialize. I haven't heard recess going away at all?? Lunch you can't scream, but you can very much talk. Several classes like art, weightlifting, woodworking you could talk the entire time practically. In HS, we were able to eat off campus so had a lot of time there. Even during regular classes there were times of talking. We were able to visit all throughout the day and the 5 minutes in between classes, before and after school (before the busses leave). PLENTY!
Of course there are teachers who shouldn't be teaching. May even some that are jerks. I had some in HS, but now I can handle my boss being a jerk! I know how to respect authority. I also have great mentors I still talk to today that taught me in school.
I know homeschool kids who did not go to college this year because they were too nervous. If you have your kids do HS at home, please send them to college classes so they can be prepared for college. In college, they can't ask a million questions and ask the teacher to spell things out for them. Sometimes, they give very little instruction and you have to figure it out. I'm not saying this can't be accomplished with homeschool. It can. Just something to think about if you decide to homeschool. Oh, and they need to do group projects with other homeschooled kids and learn how to work together on something and not always do everything by themselves.
My husband works with teens and because of that and the teens I see I would consider homeschooling. Parents are in denial if they think the public system is the best place for their kids. It isn't. And if they think their kids are a great influence for "wordly" kids, Chances are that isn't happening, but the opposite is happening. Why would a wordly crowded government run school be a better place for your child to spend most of their time, than with 1 on 1 teaching and with more time for family activites, more time to do service in the community, more time to focus on the importance of building a strong faith, more time to pursue intrests and talents?
Do I think it would be incredibly hard to be homeschooling mom and provide a quality education? YES! And that it would be hard to manage meaningful social outings? YES! But sometimes it isn't easy to the best thing for your kids. Now, I am not saying homeschooling is the best for everyone, but it certaintly shouldn't be portrayed as a horrible choice and parents are only doing it because they are control freaks who don't ever want to let their babies grow up.
Public school teacher here, yes recesses are going away, maybe not so much in OK, but it is due to liabilities and more time needed to teach for testing. Yes, silent lunches are more frequent that I would like. It is sad, but due to the lack of discipline it is a must.
This is a hard question. I think each parent needs to pray and seek the guidance of the Lord and then do what they think is best for their children.
I had always been opposed to homeschooling until I had my own children. My children are zoned in a fantastic public school and I have no problems with them attending there.
There school doesn't have a recess past kindergarten and they are only allowed to whisper during lunch. The way their lunch is handled drives me insane.
We live nowhere near Oklahoma.
As Christians we need to be the light of the world. How can we be the light of the world and salt of the earth if we refuse to associate with it
Just something to ponder....
I believe that if I personally homeschooled my child I would be educationally handicapping him or her for life....
7:17, have you seen the textbooks lately?
I just began homeschooling my kindergarten age child this year. My husband and I feel like God is calling us to do this for our children and our family and for His glory.
As it has already been talked about there are so many options socially now for homeschooled children. Things like city club sports, community children's choirs/drama groups, homeschooling groups, and not to mention church, bible class and church related activities. If done right socialization is not an issue.
On the topic of curriculum, there are hundreds of choices to fit your child's learning style, and are laid out nicely for the teacher to follow. There are also plenty of electives to choose from. You might be very surprised if you started researching it. I have a teaching degree and taught in public and private schools. In most public schools today so many children get left behind and forgotten about. School administrators and teachers are so concerned about "teaching to the test", they have "got to get the scores!" instead of teaching the children. I'm sorry but that is just ridiculous!!
On the other hand there are plenty of things and people that I do not want my children being exposed to at an early age, and besides that they get to deal with plenty of worldliness in community activities they are involved in, in stores, at the park, and sadly enough even at church.
Are we to be lights in the world? Yes, we are. BUT I feel like God is calling me to train my children how to be light and salt so that they can go out and BE light and salt in a depraved and wicked world. How can you expect a young child to go out and witness about Christ? My husband is also a youth minister, and deals with teens on a daily basis. More often than not our children are being led astray instead of witnessing for Christ.
Here is a verse to consider: 1 Corinthians 15:33 Do not be misled: "Bad company corrupts good character."
I have seen homeschooling done poorly and I have seen it done well, with extremely successful children to show for it. Is it the right choice for everyone? ......NO. Is it the right choice for me and my family, yes. Please don't look down on me for doing what God is leading me to do. Support me, as my christian sister/brother even though it may not be your choice. I am trying to raise my children to get to heaven just like you are, I'm just doing it in a different way. God Bless!
7:14,
I know you probably don't mean it, but the "Salt and Light" argument is being grossly misapplied to the children. The fact is children at the are not mature enough nor are they properly equipped. Have you thought about it in a way that if you homeschool your kids that you will actually have more time to teach them how to be salt and light under your guidance?
Christian parents are commanded to place their children under godly and Christian teaching. (See Col. 2:8; 2 Cor. 10:3-5; Deut. 6:1-9; Mal. 4:6; 2 Cor. 6:14-19 along with Luke 6:40. Matt. 22:37-38 and Eph. 6:4)
Something else to ponder...
8:49 here: Sorry I forgot to mention one thing. Most homeschoolers test at a higher grade level than public school children their age. Just some extra food for thought. Thanks.
Sorry, I meant 8:39 not 8:49!!
8:39, I wish I knew you were, I am pondering homeschooling my child next year who will be in K. I would really like to talk to someone and get advice on how to get started and just other advice in general. You sound like you would be a good person to talk to.
I am 8:41 poster and almost posted the 1 Corinthians 15:33 passage too!
8:41/8:46--This is 8:39. I would really like to be a help to you and am trying to figure out a way that we can get in touch without leaving our personal info. on this site. If you have any ideas let me know via this conversation and I will do the same. It is a huge decision but I believe it is well worth it!! Hopefully we can connect somehow!
Google Homeschool Matters for an excellent consultant.
Sorry that didn't work.
8:46 and 8:49- You both can easily create a yahoo email address. janedoe@yahoo.com! Then post that.
I am one that listed concerns but it was just trying to help the person who asked the question. I don't think anyone here thinks public school is perfect and it produces perfect kids! I'm just helping you be aware of problems I have seen from homeschooled teens. I've also realized problems of non-homeschooled kids. I will say, Of course homeschool kids test higher! There aren't many single parents or DHS kids that are in the homeschooling stats. Not saying DHS or Single parents mean dumb kids. I'm just stating stats. Low socioeconomic status kids test lower and THAT is a high percentage of public schools. Kids who don't have parents that help them out with their homework or inforce and encourage schoolwork, they do get left behind. Parents should be teachers even if their kids are in public/private schools. If we compare apples to apples, the outcome will be the same.
Homeschools that are organized (and follow the "warnings" that have been listed on here) are going to produce the same as public/private schools that have parents who are involved and who parent and talk to their kids. There are plenty of good Christian teens who made it through school without being the troubled teens youth ministers see. They did stand out. The main factor i've noticed is they had awesome parents who taught them self-confidence and had an open communication relationship!
No way is BETTER than the other. Whichever you prefer or can afford, just be involved and informed! Good luck to the OP!
What about the Salt and Light argument for you as parents?
We are Christian parents who send our kids to public school, and we are very involved with the schools. We expect our kids to shine the light of Jesus, but we expect them to do that in following our example, too. We are involved and don't leave everything up to the school.
Teachers have it hard.
I am pretty sure they appreciate kind, involved, happy parents who appreciate their hard work.
I work hard to be salt and light. My kids work hard to be kids.
What is wrong with me training my children to be salt and light at home. I can still be salt and light and be that example to my children when we are having daily interactions with non-christians. Just because I homeschool my children does not mean that I hide them away from the world. We go out in the world everyday and they see my christian example no matter where we are. They don't have to be in school to see my example. As you do, I work hard too to be salt and light. My kids don't have to go to school in order for me to do that. I am equipping and training my children to go out in the world to be that salt and light. This is training they certainly wouldn't get in school. I get to have more of an influence over my children instead of the world having that influence. Homeschooling may not be the right choice for everyone. I am not condeming you for sending your children to public school so please don't condem me for keeping mine at home. You made the right choice for your family and I am making the right choice for mine. I pray that God blesses each of us for the choices we have made concerning our children. We all have the same goal in mind!
Time for me to jump in here.
One of the things that bugs me about people who homeschool who talk about the bad influence of people in the public schools is this:
When you subtract your kids from the equation, that's fewer great kids and great families at the school.
I understand your point of view about society at large not being your responsibility and your own kids being your first priority. I hear you and I get it.
But your actions are frustrating, too. They don't come across as part of a solution for anyone other than you.
Perhaps they are harmful to society at large.
Or, maybe I am giving my children good spiritual training at home and preparing them for battle. So that when the time comes for them to leave the nest then they are prepared for battle and are able to go out and "fight the good fight and keep the faith" (from 2 Tim. 4:7). Once again, as I have already stated, homeschooling is NOT for everyone. It's hard and takes ALOT of sacrifice! Just because you send your children to public school doesn't not mean I think you are wrong. My husband and I took 5 years to make this decision with a lot of prayer and research and we believe this is God's path for OUR family. Is it wrong for me to follow that path because some may disagree? I don't think so. I just wish some of my christian brothers and sisters could support what we are doing for the spiritual well being of our family and children instead of criticizing it because it's not the choice they made and they don't like it.
What is it that helped you make that choice? What did you not like about public/private school?
11:44, I think that is a great response and I really admire you for striving to do what you feel is right. I imagine it is a TON of work!
This is the 8:41 poster, to the homsechooling mom, can you tell me what books you read, websites you visted that really helped you and that you would recommend?
To 8:41, are you on facebook? This is the homeschooling mom. My husband had an idea if you want to get in touch with me fax your email, or phone # or your facebook name to our church office. fax # is 918-534-3103. Send it to Attn. Homeschool Mom and my husband will bring it home to me. Just a thought if you are interested in connecting.
One book that I read is called, Home Sweet Homeschool, this woman homeschooled all or her 8 kids and all of them are highly successful adults. I have a friend that recommended another book that sounded really good but can't think of the name right now, it's something like "A Matter of the Heart" ?? Some other books are: The Right Choice, Home Grown Kids, You, Can Teach Your Child Successfully, Children at Risk by Dobson.
For curriculum AOP.com has several different curriculum styles to choose from. I am using the lifepac math set for kinder. by Alpha Omega this year and really like it. I am using the Sing, Spell, Read and Write curriculum for language arts. My girls love to sing and so far this curriculum has been awesome and she is loving it!! Both of these curriculums I have found very easy to use with great instructions set up the teacher. All of the Lifepac series is very user friendly! Some other curriculums that friends are using: ABeka, Saxon, Bob Jones, Sonlight...... Alot of your curriculum decision depends on your teaching and prep time and your child's learning style. There is lots of awesome stuff out there!
To 8:15--for our reasons please refer back to my previous postings: 8:39 pm, 11:44 pm, and 1:48 pm. I think I stated all of our reasons in those postings. We prayed and studied alot. We did not come to this decision lightly! But we felt that this is the way that God was leading us. And we have a great homeschooling group in our town that provides LOTS of social opportunities for our children.
As for private schools in our area-- We felt there were none that fit our spiritual needs and doctrine. We did not want our children being taught another denominations doctrines and then having to undo that when we got home. We felt it would be too confusing at a young age. With my husband being a minister we will, as our kids get older, talk about other religions and doctrines and look to the Bible to give the answers on what is the truth. They will experience through our homeschooling group other religious ideas and doctrines that we can go home and talk about together. Also the private schools in our area are not very affordable when you are living on a minister's salary.
Post a Comment