This is an experiment to see how honest people can be if they don't have to identify themselves. Some silly, some deep, but all require honesty.
Friday, September 11, 2009
Reader Rally
First one here post a question.
23 comments:
Anonymous
said...
Has anyone had to deal with an emotional affair? Either you having one or your partner having one. What were the consequences? Did it lead to a physical connection?
Not to knock the person that came up with this question AT ALL, but I was hoping for a question that would have a little more to do with the anniversary we are remembering in our nation today.
I think we should also reflect on some lessons for the nation that 9/11 taught us (or should have), what national effects the attacks had on our nation socially and politically.
I was in Beijing China on a study aboard program, watching a movie in our hotel. The next day was weird, because it was normal day in China, but our country was going through something huge. Sadly, the rest of the trip went on as normal, our group rarely thought of what was going on at home. I was gone for a whole semester, and I did not return home until Dec. I have no real concept of what 9-11 was like here. I missed a huge part of history.
I think it's pretty rude to hijack someone's question. (I am not the asker.) There are a million places you can talk about 9/11 today (and every day). Maybe the asker is dealing with this right now in their life.
Saying, "no to knock the person ..." just so you can threadjack, IS a knock. It's the same as saying, "not to be rude, but ..." and then saying something rude.
I was dealing with the effects of my spouse's emotional affair when 9/11 happened. I was already on the verge of entering a deep depression, so when 9/11 happened, it felt as though the entire world, not just mine, was falling apart.
On Anonymous Truths, the grand experiment was to see what people would be like if they didn't have to give their names.
Maybe the experiment is over. People are rude, they call names, they lie, they post more than once as they pretend they are someone else. That drives people away. Point made.
OP: No, never had to deal with an emotional affair, as my hubby doesn't really even have any guy friends, ha ha. He does have to work closely with his coworkers (go on long trips, spend all day in the car with them, etc) and I will be honest if those coworkers were female I would NOT like it.
I think if you are having an emotional affair, or if your spouse is, you need to get immediate therapy......... and do whatever it takes to break off all ties from the emotional affair person ------ meaning if you have to move, switch jobs, switch churches, whatever DO IT.
Good question.
As far as 9/11, I was asleep and my roommate woke me up to tell me. About an hour later, I got a phone call offering me a job, my first high paying job that wasn't like minimum wage. Took it, but hated it.
I am the OP. Sorry I didn't ask about 9/11... that's not what was on my mind at 5:00 in the morning, when I couldn't sleep. I was trying to take advantage of the fact that I was first poster. My bad. To those of you that were nice enough to answer the question, thank you. I was just hoping to hear some other experiences, since I am dealing with this right now.
Just know that it's not your fault. I know that's easier said than done. There will be a lot of lost sleep, but eventually after dealing with it, cutting off all ties and going to some counseling, it can be fixed. My thoughts and prayers are with you!
Dear 4:10, I'm so sorry you're going through this. I've been there, and it is really hard. Surround yourself with godly friends, and tune your heart to listen to God. I know (believe me) that this is easier said than done.
You're not at the point to hear it yet, I'm sure, but who knows if I'll ever have the chance to share it with you again... The best piece of advice I was given when I was going through this: "You will either choose to keep this in front of you, or you will choose to put it behind you." This sounds simplistic, but it really hit home with me. Nothing about what you're going through is simple. But maybe some day those words will help you.
Also, I believe God has blessed me immeasurably for my decision to forgive my spouse, honor my commitment to my marriage and God, and not get a divorce. I don't think there is any scripture to back that up, but I do know how full and blessed my life is now, almost 10 years after the experience. And I just believe that this is a reward from God for walking that incredibly difficult path.
May God bless you with strength and peace as you endure the days ahead. Love and prayers to you.
Now, THAT's a great response, respectful to the OP and others who wanted to answer the original question. I have been silent because i have never dealt with the issue. But i was a little sad about the tone things were taking today. Nice return, everyone!
I have been the one that had an affair emotionally. It did not get physical, but if they were in town, it may have. I will say that if it is your spouse who is cheating, he/she may not feel they can talk to you. Either you are too busy, away too much, not one that likes deep conversation, too exhasuted, or likes to watch too much TV! While this does not mean it is your fault, try and figure out what you can do to be there for them more and always speak kindly and patiently so you will know you are doing all you can. Now, if you are the one engaging, well, I do it because not only (the above mentioned list) but because I have low self-esteem and need others to help me feel pretty, needed, wanted. I wish I could give more encouragement on this end, but I'm going through it also.
I have been the one that had an affair emotionally. It did not get physical, but if they were in town, it may have. I will say that if it is your spouse who is cheating, he/she may not feel they can talk to you. Either you are too busy, away too much, not one that likes deep conversation, too exhasuted, or likes to watch too much TV! While this does not mean it is your fault, try and figure out what you can do to be there for them more and always speak kindly and patiently so you will know you are doing all you can. Now, if you are the one engaging, well, I do it because not only (the above mentioned list) but because I have low self-esteem and need others to help me feel pretty, needed, wanted. I wish I could give more encouragement on this end, but I'm going through it also.
Most of these questions are now submitted. Please feel free to submit your question and see how others feel. Email me here with a subject line of "Anonymous Truth"
23 comments:
Has anyone had to deal with an emotional affair? Either you having one or your partner having one. What were the consequences? Did it lead to a physical connection?
my emotional affair's always stem from me wanting attention from somebody. I just crave the thought that somebody wants me.
Not to knock the person that came up with this question AT ALL, but I was hoping for a question that would have a little more to do with the anniversary we are remembering in our nation today.
Ok, so where were you when 9/11 hit and how did it effect you?
I was at home watching the today show. I was then glued to the TV all day.
I think we should also reflect on some lessons for the nation that 9/11 taught us (or should have), what national effects the attacks had on our nation socially and politically.
I was in Beijing China on a study aboard program, watching a movie in our hotel. The next day was weird, because it was normal day in China, but our country was going through something huge. Sadly, the rest of the trip went on as normal, our group rarely thought of what was going on at home.
I was gone for a whole semester, and I did not return home until Dec. I have no real concept of what 9-11 was like here. I missed a huge part of history.
I think it's pretty rude to hijack someone's question. (I am not the asker.) There are a million places you can talk about 9/11 today (and every day). Maybe the asker is dealing with this right now in their life.
I straight up agree with 1103...you're a douche 0932
First time I've ever been called that. hehe.
I totally was not trying to start anything that's why I emphasized AT ALL. I apologize for offending anyone.
I just thought people might want to answer either question. I think we've done that on here before.
Saying, "no to knock the person ..." just so you can threadjack, IS a knock. It's the same as saying, "not to be rude, but ..." and then saying something rude.
Let's go back to the original post.
Most of you are rude, and that is why more people are not on here anymore.
I was dealing with the effects of my spouse's emotional affair when 9/11 happened. I was already on the verge of entering a deep depression, so when 9/11 happened, it felt as though the entire world, not just mine, was falling apart.
Life felt really crappy for a LONG time.
On Anonymous Truths, the grand experiment was to see what people would be like if they didn't have to give their names.
Maybe the experiment is over. People are rude, they call names, they lie, they post more than once as they pretend they are someone else. That drives people away. Point made.
wow, seems like everyone is in a mood today, people just need to lighten up.
OP: No, never had to deal with an emotional affair, as my hubby doesn't really even have any guy friends, ha ha. He does have to work closely with his coworkers (go on long trips, spend all day in the car with them, etc) and I will be honest if those coworkers were female I would NOT like it.
I think if you are having an emotional affair, or if your spouse is, you need to get immediate therapy......... and do whatever it takes to break off all ties from the emotional affair person ------ meaning if you have to move, switch jobs, switch churches, whatever DO IT.
Good question.
As far as 9/11, I was asleep and my roommate woke me up to tell me. About an hour later, I got a phone call offering me a job, my first high paying job that wasn't like minimum wage. Took it, but hated it.
I'm sure it won't be the last time you are called a douche.
I am the OP. Sorry I didn't ask about 9/11... that's not what was on my mind at 5:00 in the morning, when I couldn't sleep. I was trying to take advantage of the fact that I was first poster. My bad. To those of you that were nice enough to answer the question, thank you. I was just hoping to hear some other experiences, since I am dealing with this right now.
Just know that it's not your fault. I know that's easier said than done. There will be a lot of lost sleep, but eventually after dealing with it, cutting off all ties and going to some counseling, it can be fixed. My thoughts and prayers are with you!
Dear 4:10,
I'm so sorry you're going through this. I've been there, and it is really hard. Surround yourself with godly friends, and tune your heart to listen to God. I know (believe me) that this is easier said than done.
You're not at the point to hear it yet, I'm sure, but who knows if I'll ever have the chance to share it with you again... The best piece of advice I was given when I was going through this: "You will either choose to keep this in front of you, or you will choose to put it behind you." This sounds simplistic, but it really hit home with me. Nothing about what you're going through is simple. But maybe some day those words will help you.
Also, I believe God has blessed me immeasurably for my decision to forgive my spouse, honor my commitment to my marriage and God, and not get a divorce. I don't think there is any scripture to back that up, but I do know how full and blessed my life is now, almost 10 years after the experience. And I just believe that this is a reward from God for walking that incredibly difficult path.
May God bless you with strength and peace as you endure the days ahead. Love and prayers to you.
Now, THAT's a great response, respectful to the OP and others who wanted to answer the original question. I have been silent because i have never dealt with the issue. But i was a little sad about the tone things were taking today. Nice return, everyone!
I have been the one that had an affair emotionally. It did not get physical, but if they were in town, it may have. I will say that if it is your spouse who is cheating, he/she may not feel they can talk to you. Either you are too busy, away too much, not one that likes deep conversation, too exhasuted, or likes to watch too much TV! While this does not mean it is your fault, try and figure out what you can do to be there for them more and always speak kindly and patiently so you will know you are doing all you can. Now, if you are the one engaging, well, I do it because not only (the above mentioned list) but because I have low self-esteem and need others to help me feel pretty, needed, wanted. I wish I could give more encouragement on this end, but I'm going through it also.
I have been the one that had an affair emotionally. It did not get physical, but if they were in town, it may have. I will say that if it is your spouse who is cheating, he/she may not feel they can talk to you. Either you are too busy, away too much, not one that likes deep conversation, too exhasuted, or likes to watch too much TV! While this does not mean it is your fault, try and figure out what you can do to be there for them more and always speak kindly and patiently so you will know you are doing all you can. Now, if you are the one engaging, well, I do it because not only (the above mentioned list) but because I have low self-esteem and need others to help me feel pretty, needed, wanted. I wish I could give more encouragement on this end, but I'm going through it also.
Post a Comment