Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Do you have a "frienemy"? How do you deal with that relationship and why do you maintain it?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Polite, but try to limit contact as much as possible. Why maintain it? Because they can/have made my life miserable if I don't and avoiding contact completely is not possible.

Anonymous said...

I have one too, anytime she is around I get really anxious. We are suppose to be friends and everyone (except for my husband) thinks we are. She has made my life miserable. I think she goes out of her way to hurt my kids feelings or at least never tries to avoid it.

If they moved away or if she suddendly died I would NOT be disappointed. My kids enjoy her kids, but I avoid being in their company as much as possible.

I feel I am a much better mom when they are not around because I am so worried about things she might say to me or to the kids.

We have too many friends in common so it would be too awkward to avoid all contact, but I try my best.

Anonymous said...

This is so sad. Especially as Christians, we should be able to go to "friends" and be honest and say they hurt our feelings or whatever they did.

I don't have a frienemy. My friends are all genuine to my knowledge! I have had a friend that I have to limit myself but for different reasons. She is bipolar and she will get upset If I didn't read her mind or do something the exact way she wanted. She'd huff and puff. I would confront her and be honest. She can also be needy and take away too much time from my family, but I have made boundaries! I have always been honest (sometimes brutally honest) and she still likes me.

It takes so much energy resenting people and worrying. Speak up. If you do it sincerely, it should be okay.

Anonymous said...

I am the 2nd poster and I have had a talk with her in the past, it didn't change anything and instead I think she secretly liked it.

Anonymous said...

10:09 am - Do you gossip about this "friend" behind her back?

Anonymous said...

10:09 - You are probably the frienemy to this friend that you are talking about. A true friend would try to help her, pray for her, and find support/resources for her.

Anonymous said...

I am a christian and go to church with several people that i cannot really stand because of differences in personality. I treat them with kindness and don't really give too much thought to them, but I don't really enjoy being around them in any way. Am I interpreting this question wrong? I guess they would be "frenemies"? I guess I maintain friendships with them because we all are striving to be Christ-like.

Anonymous said...

I don't have any. If I have no use for someone, I stay away from them.

And I try to live at peace with people.

Anonymous said...

10:09 here- I'm sorry I did not write a book about my entire relationship with this friend. No, I do not gossip about her except maybe my husband? Don't really remember doing that really even. I know everything about her and can understand why she is the way she is. I have crazy needy days too. I care deeply about everyone I know. I take on their problems and try and help TOO MUCH sometimes. 2:36- Where in my post did I say I DON'T try and help her or pray for her??I'm actually a loyal friend and will want nothing but the best for you. Just stating the fact that I can be honest and be respectful at the same time.

Anonymous said...

I also do not adore some people in my church class but I consider them acquaintances and not close friends. When I think of “frienemy” I think of people you hang out with outside of church or work. You chat and pretend you love hanging out but really hate hanging out with them. This is just my interpretation. I do not believe I have any.

This is probably going to come out wrong to some, but this thread got me thinking. Yes, it is a little off subject. Yes, I’m asking myself these same questions. How many of us are sending out terrible messages to other people at church? Have you ever declined an offer to go out to lunch after church because you were eating with people you see everyday? People in our classes may not have many friends and breaking through some cliques are nearly impossible. Random thought to chew on.

Anonymous said...

http://sojochick.blogspot.com/2009/09/christians-and-internet.html