I drink occasionally. I went to the CofC until recently. (Now we go to a Community church.) Yes, my other church friends know that I drink.
Like most things we've taken to the extreme I think those who go to the CofC realize that we can do things our parents think or horrible (like have a drink, dance at a wedding, vote for a Democrat) and not go to Hell.
Yes, every once in awhile. But only a couple drinks. I have never been drunk. Yes I'm CofC. Yes, my church friends know I drink, because they are the ones that introduced me to many drinks. Sad, but true.
I will have a glass of wine or maybe a beer every now and then. I never get drunk off of the occasional drink, although I did make mistakes in my younger years and get drunk a couple of times. I will say that by having a drink every now and then that I do NOT feel like I'm sinning or that it is wrong. I don't feel compelled to keep drinking and get drunk, so it doesn't violate my conscience. Most of my friends know that I will drink every now and then. Some don't, but that's because it's such a non-issue that it doesn't even really come up. And yes, I am CoC.
Yes a little wine. Yes CoC. Yes some church friend know. Some would say I was sinning for doing so. Never been drunk. Reasons, Dr recomended a glass of wine would do your health good. Enjoy the taste of a good wine. Many are better than a dessert.
6:49 liked what you said about our parents. But I worship with those parents.
7:13 don't be sad that your church friends told you of some drinks.
We occasionally drink, maybe once or twice a year and only 1 or 2 drinks. We are CoC AND my husband is a minister. No, none of our church friends know at the church we attend/work at now, but a couple of friends from our previous congregation do know. There is just such a stereotype and stygma about not drinking in the CoC we do not feel it is necesssary for people to know that we enjoy the occasional drink. We feel that it would negatively impact my husband's ministry. We do not drink to excess and have never been drunk, and we do not violate our consciences. We don't drink publically or let it be known because we do not want to cause someone else to stumble. BUT my husband does teach that drinking in and of itself is not a sin but that causing a weaker one to stumble and violating our laws is a sin.
No I don't and yes I am CofC. I know what the Bible says and what the Bible warns. I know the occasional drink isn't a sin but don't seen any benefits from it which is why I choose not to drink. Several of my church friends drink and oddly enough, they are the ones who have tried to pressure me into it and make a bigger issue of the fact that I don't than any of my non-church friends. I've never told my church friends they can't drink, but have chosen not to go places with them when they will be drinking for personal reasons beyond my views on the subject. Most of them are less understanding of my situation than my non-church friends which seems odd to me.
yes, I am c of c, yes I drink, but only every couple of months or several times a year. I have only been drunk once in the last year, but several years ago I would never drink unless I was planning on getting drunk.
Yes, my c of c friends know, they are who I drink with. However I also have several other c of c friends that I am really close to that have no clue of this other life.
No drinking for me - a personal decision. I am CofC. I have seen too much saddness from people who drink. The Bible teaches against being drunk. I have never felt the need. It makes me sad when someone says "I need a drink" at the end of a long hard day. We have to remember "everything is lawful, but not everything is expedient". I would never have alcoholic beverages in my home. If my children chose to drink, so be it - but I will not be their example.
9:40 If your children chose to drink they need your example. Not telling you to drink to be an example but to think about how you are going to be an example of responsible drinking. Letting your children (of age) know not to hide it from you. Just like the topics of dateing, money, sex, drugs & alcohol we need to have an open communication with them.
Those of you who drink, how many of your drink and drive? Be honest, its an anonymous post!
I don't drink, but I'm okay being with friends (yes some from church) that drink and have been to ladies night out a few times where they are drinking.
What bothers me is that they always drive home. Yes, it is very very wrong for me to let me drive home and I've promised myself the next time I will either not go, or just be upfront and do what I can to not let them drive home, actually I'm thinking about just not going, who knows.
I've grown up in C of C, still go to a C of C and I would be fine with going to a different brand of church.
My husband and I (he's grown up the same way as me) both will rarely drink. I have absolutely no problem with anyone knowing that. If someone asked I'd tell them straight up.
I use to, and I am not saying I would NEVER have a drink again, but a lot has changed for me in the last few weeks.
I was the CofC girl who would argue ‘til I was blue in the face saying that drinking isn't the sin, etc. It’s okay. It’s just for fun. Jesus drank wine, on and on and on.
My friends drank too. I drank for the first time when I went to OC, so yes my CofC friends knew.
I have recently learned the importance for everything is to live for Christ. Letting others see Christ in me. Period. When I would allow myself to drink it wasn't that I was some horrible person but my focus became the drink and the fun. I wasn't doing anything at all to glorify God. Nothing good was coming from my choice to drink.
If everything we did was to glorify Him there would be a lot less hurt, pain and turmoil in this world.
For the purposes of this dicussion, 1:14, it's relevant whether someone is CofC or not. Our denomination has been "dry" for so many years, and there has been such a stigma against drinking, especially in certain regions of the CofC. The question tests the waters to see how many of us CofCers are holding to the old traditions and why. I'm sure there are many here surprised at the number of yesses from CofCers.
I heard this one a few years ago: The difference between a Lutheran and a Baptist (but insert CofC), is that Lutherans will speak to each other in the Liquor store.
For me: Yes CofC. Yes, the rare drink. Never been drunk. Always have my drink early enough in the festivities, and with enough food, so that the alcohol is worked through by the time I have to drive.
C of C here. Drink occasionaly. A few of my church friends know. Not hiding it from the others. I wont hide my wine bottles from any when they visit. Never been drunk. Mostly drink in my home or hotel room. I live in the region that hold to the C of C is dry thought.
How many yes answers came from bibleclass teachers, youth leaders, deacons, ministers, elders or their wives?
mnisters wife here. yes drink wine and occasional beer. have gone to bars with non church going friend to talk with her and be with her. most of my friends know i do, and i will say with the uptight opinions of some, no wonder so many coc drink! :) ( not meaning to be ugly) that is just my opinion.
Bible Class teacher here, and I enjoy a drink every once in awhile. Not a crazy drunk, because I don't like the taste of most drinks. However, some I enjoy...in small amounts. I'm CofC.
I'm curious to know ow old the ones that have never been drunk are. I'm in young 20's and don't know a single person out of my youth group that NEVER got drunk. I'm not saying it's no big deal, I'm just stating facts. CofC people (and others) are finally starting to realize all sins are the same and should not be categorized. What is the point of bragging about not drinking but then you lie or gossip everyday?
All sins bring us further from Christ and we should deffinitely discourage it, but I have noticed less "that is the really bad sin." There is pro's and con's to that realization. People are forgiving themselves more and carrying around less guilt, which is a pro. But of course it's easy to think it's no big deal when it still is, which is a con.
I am 8:36 am. Like I said my husband is a minister and we enjoy the very rare and occasional drink. I am 33 and can honestly say I have NEVER been drunk! I didn't even drink in high school. So it is possible to have an occasional drink and not abuse it.
Most of these questions are now submitted. Please feel free to submit your question and see how others feel. Email me here with a subject line of "Anonymous Truth"
30 comments:
Do you drink alcohol?? Are you CoC?? Do any of your church friends know that you drink?
No, don't drink. Except for some wine on a airplane a couple of times. Yes, I am C of C.
I don't think it is wrong to have a little bit of wine once in awhile or something like that. In europe they use wine in the communion trays.
I drink occasionally. I went to the CofC until recently. (Now we go to a Community church.)
Yes, my other church friends know that I drink.
Like most things we've taken to the extreme I think those who go to the CofC realize that we can do things our parents think or horrible (like have a drink, dance at a wedding, vote for a Democrat) and not go to Hell.
Yes, every once in awhile. But only a couple drinks. I have never been drunk. Yes I'm CofC.
Yes, my church friends know I drink, because they are the ones that introduced me to many drinks. Sad, but true.
I will have a glass of wine or maybe a beer every now and then. I never get drunk off of the occasional drink, although I did make mistakes in my younger years and get drunk a couple of times. I will say that by having a drink every now and then that I do NOT feel like I'm sinning or that it is wrong. I don't feel compelled to keep drinking and get drunk, so it doesn't violate my conscience. Most of my friends know that I will drink every now and then. Some don't, but that's because it's such a non-issue that it doesn't even really come up. And yes, I am CoC.
Yes a little wine. Yes CoC. Yes some church friend know. Some would say I was sinning for doing so.
Never been drunk.
Reasons, Dr recomended a glass of wine would do your health good.
Enjoy the taste of a good wine. Many are better than a dessert.
6:49 liked what you said about our parents. But I worship with those parents.
7:13 don't be sad that your church friends told you of some drinks.
We occasionally drink, maybe once or twice a year and only 1 or 2 drinks. We are CoC AND my husband is a minister. No, none of our church friends know at the church we attend/work at now, but a couple of friends from our previous congregation do know. There is just such a stereotype and stygma about not drinking in the CoC we do not feel it is necesssary for people to know that we enjoy the occasional drink. We feel that it would negatively impact my husband's ministry. We do not drink to excess and have never been drunk, and we do not violate our consciences. We don't drink publically or let it be known because we do not want to cause someone else to stumble. BUT my husband does teach that drinking in and of itself is not a sin but that causing a weaker one to stumble and violating our laws is a sin.
No I don't and yes I am CofC. I know what the Bible says and what the Bible warns. I know the occasional drink isn't a sin but don't seen any benefits from it which is why I choose not to drink. Several of my church friends drink and oddly enough, they are the ones who have tried to pressure me into it and make a bigger issue of the fact that I don't than any of my non-church friends. I've never told my church friends they can't drink, but have chosen not to go places with them when they will be drinking for personal reasons beyond my views on the subject. Most of them are less understanding of my situation than my non-church friends which seems odd to me.
yes, I am c of c, yes I drink, but only every couple of months or several times a year. I have only been drunk once in the last year, but several years ago I would never drink unless I was planning on getting drunk.
Yes, my c of c friends know, they are who I drink with. However I also have several other c of c friends that I am really close to that have no clue of this other life.
Yes I drink, yes I am CoC, and yes my chruch friends, and family knows.
No drinking for me - a personal decision. I am CofC. I have seen too much saddness from people who drink. The Bible teaches against being drunk. I have never felt the need. It makes me sad when someone says "I need a drink" at the end of a long hard day. We have to remember "everything is lawful, but not everything is expedient". I would never have alcoholic beverages in my home. If my children chose to drink, so be it - but I will not be their example.
9:40 If your children chose to drink they need your example. Not telling you to drink to be an example but to think about how you are going to be an example of responsible drinking. Letting your children (of age) know not to hide it from you. Just like the topics of dateing, money, sex, drugs & alcohol we need to have an open communication with them.
I've seen wine bottles in our elders' homes.
I drink once or twice a year, just celebratory and a few sips, not glasses and glasses.
Those of you who drink, how many of your drink and drive? Be honest, its an anonymous post!
I don't drink, but I'm okay being with friends (yes some from church) that drink and have been to ladies night out a few times where they are drinking.
What bothers me is that they always drive home. Yes, it is very very wrong for me to let me drive home and I've promised myself the next time I will either not go, or just be upfront and do what I can to not let them drive home, actually I'm thinking about just not going, who knows.
11:27 here again - oh I forgot to add that I'm CofC, some of my friends that do drink are CofC, however most of them did not grow up in the church.
I can't believe we are rehashing this. I should have gotten up earlier...
Yes I do drink and no I am not CoC. In answer to the above question about driving and drinking, yes I have drove when I should not have.
Why does it matter if someone is C of C or not?
I've grown up in C of C, still go to a C of C and I would be fine with going to a different brand of church.
My husband and I (he's grown up the same way as me) both will rarely drink. I have absolutely no problem with anyone knowing that. If someone asked I'd tell them straight up.
I use to, and I am not saying I would NEVER have a drink again, but a lot has changed for me in the last few weeks.
I was the CofC girl who would argue ‘til I was blue in the face saying that drinking isn't the sin, etc. It’s okay. It’s just for fun. Jesus drank wine, on and on and on.
My friends drank too. I drank for the first time when I went to OC, so yes my CofC friends knew.
I have recently learned the importance for everything is to live for Christ. Letting others see Christ in me. Period. When I would allow myself to drink it wasn't that I was some horrible person but my focus became the drink and the fun. I wasn't doing anything at all to glorify God. Nothing good was coming from my choice to drink.
If everything we did was to glorify Him there would be a lot less hurt, pain and turmoil in this world.
Never been drunk and never drive.
For the purposes of this dicussion, 1:14, it's relevant whether someone is CofC or not. Our denomination has been "dry" for so many years, and there has been such a stigma against drinking, especially in certain regions of the CofC. The question tests the waters to see how many of us CofCers are holding to the old traditions and why. I'm sure there are many here surprised at the number of yesses from CofCers.
I heard this one a few years ago: The difference between a Lutheran and a Baptist (but insert CofC), is that Lutherans will speak to each other in the Liquor store.
For me: Yes CofC. Yes, the rare drink. Never been drunk. Always have my drink early enough in the festivities, and with enough food, so that the alcohol is worked through by the time I have to drive.
C of C here. Drink occasionaly. A few of my church friends know. Not hiding it from the others. I wont hide my wine bottles from any when they visit. Never been drunk. Mostly drink in my home or hotel room.
I live in the region that hold to the C of C is dry thought.
How many yes answers came from bibleclass teachers, youth leaders, deacons, ministers, elders or their wives?
mnisters wife here. yes drink wine and occasional beer. have gone to bars with non church going friend to talk with her and be with her. most of my friends know i do, and i will say with the uptight opinions of some, no wonder so many coc drink! :) ( not meaning to be ugly) that is just my opinion.
7:43 here, just answering the question a Bibleclass teacher & Deacons wife.
Yes I do. Yes I am. Yes they do. Am I a drunk, no.
Tonight, make mine a double!
Bible Class teacher here, and I enjoy a drink every once in awhile. Not a crazy drunk, because I don't like the taste of most drinks. However, some I enjoy...in small amounts.
I'm CofC.
I'm curious to know ow old the ones that have never been drunk are. I'm in young 20's and don't know a single person out of my youth group that NEVER got drunk. I'm not saying it's no big deal, I'm just stating facts. CofC people (and others) are finally starting to realize all sins are the same and should not be categorized. What is the point of bragging about not drinking but then you lie or gossip everyday?
All sins bring us further from Christ and we should deffinitely discourage it, but I have noticed less "that is the really bad sin." There is pro's and con's to that realization. People are forgiving themselves more and carrying around less guilt, which is a pro. But of course it's easy to think it's no big deal when it still is, which is a con.
I am 8:36 am. Like I said my husband is a minister and we enjoy the very rare and occasional drink. I am 33 and can honestly say I have NEVER been drunk! I didn't even drink in high school. So it is possible to have an occasional drink and not abuse it.
36. Never been drunk. Drink every once in a while. CofC born, raised, and passing on to my kids.
Post a Comment