Thursday, June 18, 2009

For those who attend church regularly are you able to give your 10%?

37 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, we give 10% of our gross to our church. We also try to give to a few select charities and to some mission work.

I want to hurry and pay off our debt so we can give more. So many people need help right now.

Anonymous said...

yes, we give 10% of my husband's gross income. Everytime I write that check I am thinking wow, this could be a brand new car.

Anonymous said...

Yes we are able. Sometimes we don't give our 10% to the church. Sometimes we save it and give to our another Christian organization. I think the point is that we give.

Anonymous said...

Why not give 11%?

Anonymous said...

No we just can't do it right now. We give what we canbut it never seems like enough.

Anonymous said...

No. We can't right now--although we wish we could!

Anonymous said...

Not quite, but close. I used to give more than 10%, but life got in the way and I have given the same amount each week for a few years (which now makes it a little less). I would like to be able to give more financially, but I also feel like I give a lot of my time as well.

Anonymous said...

not able to give 10% but alway give from each paycheck. Hope to be able to increase each year as debt gets paid down.

Anonymous said...

Yes we give 10% to a combination of church and missions we feel strongly about. My husband loves giving. It seems to be harder for me to let go of our finances...but it is all from Him. What we have has been His gift to us.

Anonymous said...

More than 10% and thankful to be able to do it. He has always met our needs over and above. It has not always been easy, but He comes first.

Anonymous said...

Yes, we give 10% to the collection plate before we take care of anything else.

We enjoy the times that we have extra above that and can help support some other good works too.

We've decided that we'd rather live simply and be able to give than spend our income buying everything we think we want. It's been good for us.

Anonymous said...

We don't give 10% to church alone but a combination of a christian radio station, church, random gifts to people in need, etc. We also give on special contributions.

For those who can't give much - If you are giving your time, don't feel bad. The church always needs volunteers as well.

Anonymous said...

On our budget, the percentage shows 11%.

It should always be taken off the top, it shouldn't be "we can't, we just don't have any left", or "we give what we can." We should make that our first priorty, give our first fruits. I challenge those who say they "can't", to re-do their budget and put that at the top.

Anonymous said...

while I agree that it should come off the top, remember it is terrifying to do the math and see that you can't pay the bills if you give 10%. I know it is a faith based decision, but there is an argument that God wants us to make wise choices with what we have and be responsible.

We are able to give 10%, but it is not my place to judge where others are financially. And for some, 10% is no sacrifice at all, which where does that leave them in their faith walk?

Anonymous said...

No, but give much of ourselves to the works of the church.

Anonymous said...

11:10, I do agree with you that we shouldn't judge where someone is finacially. Also though, I believe most people who say "we can't afford it" are the ones who go out to eat, have cell phones, cable and the internet and are unwilling to cut their lifestyle. And could easily give if they made it a priority. God tells us to do it, so we should do it, cheerfully (8:32).

We give more than 10% and gave while we were paying off debt since we made a decision to make giving a priority. God doesn't need our money, he can make his own, he wants us to be givers and part of that is giving a set amount of money, off the top, each month.

Anonymous said...

I know people on welfare with internet and a cell phone. It makes me ill. I hate judging, so try not to think about it too much! My thoughts are, you can go to library and check email and nobody used to have cell phones, so it is possible!

I realize some may have made poor choices with too big a mortgage, too many credit card puchases, etc. If you are unable to sell anything to help out your situation, just make it priority to get it under control and never let it get to that point again.

Anonymous said...

I want to know where it says to give 10% in the New Testament. I know it says to give first fruits and with a cheerful hear, but where does the 10% come from?

We give as much as we are able.

Anonymous said...

Not to get off the subject, but I too know those on welfare with cable and dsl! Yet, at the end of the month, food stamps have ran out, no diapers and kids are hungry! We are to give with a cheerful attitude and from the heart. Some people just don't have it in them to give from the heart, their hearts may be a little hardened due to materialistic things. I try not to judge them when they just pass the plate with out putting anything in it. I pray very hard for them and for their kids to see that we do give and we do have a wonderful life bc of the unfelishness of giving to the works of the church! It doesn't matter the HOW MUCH, but it does HAVE to be given in the right attitude.

Anonymous said...

whatever you give, make sure it is a) sacrificial and
b) cheerful and
c) secret

any imposed amount is not what you have purposed in your heart. and make sure you do not "neglect your parents but give to GOd"

Anonymous said...

1:22, the 10% rule is from the old testament is to be an example to us. That is what the word "tithe" means-tenth. It is just a good example, that is why we use it.

Anonymous said...

but if you use it as a rule, then how is it from your freedom and your cheerfulness? would it be WRONG if you did not give 10%?

I think giving 10% is awesome. I also think giving another percentage is great.

Anonymous said...

I try to not even look at other people when they have the plate.

Someone mentioned trying not to judge people who don't put money in. My question to you is, what business is that of yours? Why are you even paying attention to others who are giving or not giving? Please work on that. If they are not giving, they probably feel pretty badly about it anyway. Also, do you REALLY know whether or not they give? Some churches have set up things so members can give electronically as they are paid. Some people who get paid once a month give once a month.

You said you pray that they and their kids will see you give and take that as an example. I think you mean that you hope your comfortable life while giving encourages them. However, how does that AT ALL fit in with not letting your left hand know what your right hand is doing? Unless you are publicizing what you give, how would they know you are giving generously? Come on. That doesn't even make sense.

I agree with you that the attitude is what's important. Sounds like you know that you have some work to do on this one.

Anonymous said...

5:40, sounds like YOU have some work to do on this

Anonymous said...

I think she is right on.

Anonymous said...

My family and I actually LEFT a church because they tried to force me to disclose EVERYTHING about my finances and giving. When I wouldn't budge on it for conscience reasons, they found other reasons to accuse me. Pretty Satanic (Satan = "accuser"). Now, we're at a place where they encourage, but don't pry. Plus lots of other awesome things.

Anonymous said...

1:30 here and just to clarify!

When I said "I try not to judge them when they just pass the plate with out putting anything in it." They sit with me and say NO when I try to pass it on. They are not shy to state that they just didn't have any cash on them. I'm not judging the amounts anyone gives. Just this example of one that does not give close to me.

I never said that they would see our lives as holier than thou bc of how much we give. I did say "we do have a wonderful life bc of the unfelishness of giving to the works of the church!" Not only monetary but the works! What works do you perform or do you only give your 10% and get out of there?!?

As far as having it electronically withdrawn, I do not agree with that. I think it needs to be with compassion and love that we give, don't make it a bill that you have to pay with every paycheck.

Sounds like you have some work to do on understanding and not trying to read into something that was NOT stated!

Anonymous said...

Whatever. It is not your business whether your neighbor gives. And if you think it is, YOU SHOULD GO TO THEM.

Also, you are judging people who give electronically. It seems to me that giving that way may actually be more of a firstfruits kind of gift. How dare you judge that??

Let God judge us, you and me. Let Him search and know our hearts. When I read what you have written, I am mystified by your critical attitude. I don't if it's anonymous; it's still ugly.

Anonymous said...

5:25 PMS-ing or got a chip on your shoulder?!? Wow! Cool down a little!

Anonymous said...

The PMS comment was demeaning.

Is it wrong for me to say let God judge us? Nope. Not a bit. Cause he is gonna.

Meanwhile, I am trying to point out an attitude in others. And evidently, it pressed a hot button, and I think that's great.

Anonymous said...

Hey 6:21,

if you don't like what that poster said, attack their reasoning. Don't attack the person. That doesn't add to the discussion.

I think they sounded pretty forceful in what they said, not sure what I think of it, but I won't be rude to that person.

Anonymous said...

This is so ironic, this was one of the questions I sent in and I almost missed the whole conversation.

We give a little more than 10% of my husband's income. I work a little on the side occassionally and I don't ever ad that in, so we do a little extra initally.

The electronic withdrawl is very easy and we almost thought about it. It would be nice not having to write checks each week, plus it would be easier on the group of people that have to go through and count the checks each time. My husband is one of them (they have a group on rotation) and I know how long that takes them.

The reason we didn't is because I didn't want people to think we weren't giving each week. I know it is not their business and I know I shouldn't care what others think, but I wouldn't want others to think that. But I think the main reason we give each week during worship as opposed to eletronically is to be an example to our kids.

Even though we do give our 10% every week sometimes I wish we didn't. In my selfish times I think of all the cool things we couls have bought with that money. or the cool trips, or newer cars etc. So sometimes my motives aren't always the best, but I do it anyway because I know it is the right thing to do.

Anonymous said...

If your kids are appropriate ages, you could potentially show them how you give electronically as you are paid before you pay your bills.

That might prove to be a useful training for them that is how they may one day do it. Of course, by the time some of our kids are old enough to be in that position, they will probably whip out their cell phones instead of their checkbooks and give their contribution that way. There will probably be an app for that-- maybe there already is! :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with 9:12 completely about not doing the electronic thing. Say you invited a non-christian to church or had someone sit near you who wasn't a Christian?

I know a minister of a very, very large well-known Church of Christ who preached at 2 services (they had an early servce and a normal service) - he gave 2 checks, one at each service, because of the same reason that you continue to write checks.

Anonymous said...

Today at church, the guy who was giving the contribution talk said, "If you don't feel great about what you are giving, don't give it. God loves a cheerful giver. He doesn't what you to give out of compulsion. Your heart is so much more important to him than your money."

Made me want to give more. Put giving in a good context. I thought of this discussion that we have been having, and I wonder if such things are coincidental.

But I totally agree. I also think if you are giving so other people see that you give, then that is your full reward. Lots to think about with this still.

Anonymous said...

dear 1:30,
Did you know that some of us give once a month, first fruits of our salary, rather than dividing it out. (If it stays in the bank, I might accidentally spend it. I'm not good at leaving money in there.)
There are also some people who have automatic withdrawal.

Since we are may be some of the people that you see passing the plate while putting nothing in, I just thought I'd mention those things. I suppose I could bring an extra dollar or two to drop in so you won't have to worry about us. But, it has never occurred to me before that people don't give us the benefit of the doubt.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about people not giving you the benefit of the doubt. I am happy for you that that has never occurred to you, and i hope this disucussion does not cause you to focus on that, but to continue giving as you have purposed in your heart before God.