This is an experiment to see how honest people can be if they don't have to identify themselves. Some silly, some deep, but all require honesty.
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
Do you think Christian values are being perverted by society and/or the expectations of parents?"
21 comments:
Anonymous
said...
I think "perverted values" have always been around in our society.
If you think about it, we used to have:
* Slavery * Mentally challeged kids/teens were locked away in institutions * Kids were sexually, physically and emotionally abused and no one did anything (yes I know that still happens) * There was child labor * People were treated drastically differently by how they looked
I think the thing is, that Christians need to be the light of the world and the salt of the earth but not conform to worldly values.
I think some things have gotten better. We have come a long ways from 8:00's comment, but at the same time we fall further away from certain other values. Number one being family time. With all the technology out there, no one seems to play face to face games anymore, eat together as a family, go outside just to catch lightening bugs, family bible studies, and just good family conversations. Playing outside and burning energy and fat was the only thing kids used to be able to do! You would be suprised at how much easier it is to show Christ through actions when you and your kids are actually around people face to face as opposed to behind a computer, through texts, or video games through the internet!
I think that some people's values definitely seem to be based on what is popular in society instead of what God calls us to in Scripture. I've seen parents who treat their children in a very unloving way, and yet expect their children to grown into Christians who show love to others -no wonder it doesn't work -we have to model what we want them to be.
Most people tend to become like whatever they're exposed to, so when we spend way more time watching TV, movies, and reading papers, magazines, and books than we spend reading the Bible or talking with other Christians about important things, it just follows that our values will become corrupted by that which we're allowing to flood our thinking.
So, yes, some of our values are perverted by society.
I think Christian Values are hard to come by. They are becoming few and far between because of parents low expectations. We, as parents, are not owning up to our own sins as much as we should. Our kids see this and don't think it is wrong to do certain things (gossip, cuss, drink). Also, we don't ever want to turn our kids away, therefore they feel they can do no real wrong! We need to get back to our roots and do what is right in the sight of God! Higher the Christian standards.
As far as society goes, it's becoming a la la land! Accept everyone no matter what they do or how they believe. God wants there to be one church and one gospel. We can't all be right when we all can't agree! If you have strong Christian Values (and follow them!), then in my opinion, you're headed in the right direction!
We have a very large number of pregnant teens in our area and our congregation. I hate seeing these young girls like this. I think they should come forward and ask forgiveness and make an effort to make their wrong, right. I think it would make a huge impact on the other young girls of the church. Society makes it so easy to have a baby when you are a teen. It is accepted, their are programs to pay your college and daycare, housing is paid for, everything! I have been to many local congregations in the past 2 years, mostly visiting before choosing one. I have not seen one person come forward in those 2 years! It's unheard of anymore. Do we not feel as though we stumble anymore?
10:15 am - Have you thought about trying to encourage/mentor these pregnant teens? Just curious.
I'm not getting on to you at all, but they may not even know that they should do that! I see people talking about others behind their back on what to do, but never ever try to help them, or even talk to them.
Sounds like the premise of the question treats this issue as a new one. Why is this even a new thought? Christian values have ALWAYS been perverted by non-Christian society and unbelieving parents.
Good grief, some people act like America used to be some Promised Land on Earth, where everyone loved God and treated their neighbor accordingly. Let's not romanticize things. Perverting Christian values is practically what an unGodly society is FOR, because it's ruled by Satan.
Get it straight, people. I become frustrated with Christians who believe that the job of the church is to make society into a Christian one. Not so. Christians are to preach Jesus and make diciples. Our calling is NOT political. I think Christians are spending entirely too much energy, spiritual and physical, in areas God never intended us to be.
Society will NEVER be concerned with Christian values aside from perverting them.
12:16, I do believe it is our job as Christians to seek and save the lost!?! I don't know why you would think different. If we don't try to make society a Christian one, then what will happen to our tv channels or bill boards?!? They are monitored and censored bc of Christians who took a stand against society! Christians are meant to be everywhere! The job of the church is to make a stand as one, where a single Christian wouldn't be heard! Maybe you aren't holding up your end of the deal: teaching, preaching and supporting!
Hey, 1:26 -- if you had actually read my statement, you would have seen that I said EXACTLY that: Preaching Jesus and making disciples = seeking and saving the lost. THAT'S the business of Christians.
Jesus never intended that we change the political landscape en masse, but one heart at a time. Like Paul, who says to obey our leaders and pray for them, but never mentions that we should make Christian nations. When he said that, the leaders of the world were guys like Caligula and Nero. If there was ever a time for Paul to call for sweeping, Christian change to the government, it was then, during the despicable and frankly insane rules of these Caesars.
In fact, Paul had the opportunity to preach to some of the most powerful leaders of his day, INCLUDING Caesar Nero and his household. And did he say "Hey, your policies are very unChristian, and you need to change them!"? No way. He preached Jesus. He was only concerned with saving the lost, NOT changing the policies of the government.
1:26, don't you think that if we follow Paul's example, then eventually the people in charge of our billboards and our TV and our governments will hear Jesus preached, become converted, and then make the changes themselves? THAT'S the natural result of doing things Jesus' way.
Please show me in the Bible where it says that the Church's job is to take a stand against current political policies. It's not there. On the contrary, the church is directed to obey and pray for world leaders.
So if it's all the same to you, I WILL "hold up my end" and preach Jesus and make disciples, one soul at a time.
I have more important things to do than sit and argue with a wall!
If it's been taught one heart at a time since Paul, and it's not changed society in how many years!Don't you think, maybe, just maybe we aren't doing it correctly?!?
10:46 -- What, you think that if we do it "right" the whole world will simply fall in line and come to church?
Even Jesus met with huge resistance, and he was the Son of God. What makes you think the church, made of mere mortals, is going to get off any easier?
As for "arguing with a wall" ....... it's nice to know someone recognized sound Bible teaching when they read it. You're right, no sense arguing with it, because you can't.
9:58 thanks for being a jerk and really NOT trying to convert or teach. You have been such a stumbling block instead of a good teacher!
I believe we are to try and convert everyone to Christians! We are suppossed to elect Christian leaders! You don't agree with that? If we don't make Christianity a top priority in all of life, it will become something of the past!
In Bible days, they had no choice in who was their leader, the only thing they could do was pray for them! Basically what I am getting from your statements is that we live in an 'unGodly' society, it's suppossed to be that way, all we can do is pray bc we are in a secret society aka church!?! Hush, Hush, God forbid we try to save Everyone, including society and our leaders!?!
I don't think you are going to be winning souls for Christ with your vitriol. You called me a butt. You called somebody else a jerk and a stumbling block. And these are your brothers and sisters in Christ.
Look, you have to first love God all you can pray to be able to love him more. You need to love your neighbor (Christian or not) as much as you love yourself, and pray that you will love yourself and others more.
And hopefully, this will spill over into all parts of your life, as it should. But the priority of the church should NEVER be political. We need to be person to person, loving each other and growing closer to Christ.
And taking care of widows and orphans in a personal way, not just supporting a program.
I was really angry when I first read your mean-spirited words, but now i just feel sorry for you. Praying for you today. Hoping that you are "rooted and established in love," and that you have the blessings that follow.
10:50, you said, "In Bible days, they had no choice in who was their leader, the only thing they could do was pray for them!"
Not true. Both Rome and Greece were democracies, hundreds of years before Christ (that would be in the time of the Hebrew prophets). Even though Caesars were in charge, Roman citizens, like the apostle Paul, still got to vote for their senators. So when Paul says to obey and pray for leaders, he's not just giving a list of the limits of Christian political abilities at the time. To hear you suggest otherwise is disturbing, because that means you think that God's word is imperfect.
You: "Basically what I am getting from your statements is that we live in an 'unGodly' society,"
We do. You haven't noticed?
You, again: " ... all we can do is pray bc we are in a secret society aka church!?! Hush, Hush, God forbid we try to save Everyone, including society and our leaders!?!"
Never even suggested the church was a secret society. What I've been saying all along is that we preach Jesus (NOT a secret activity) and make disciples.
Quoting myself: "the people in charge of our billboards and our TV and our governments will hear Jesus preached, become converted, and then make the changes themselves." Those were my words. I stand by them, because that's what Paul did.
Christians shouldn't hide their lights. But it isn't their primary calling to be political. Their primary calling is to preach Jesus and make disciples.
Again, you're going to have to show me Bible for your statement here: "We are suppossed to elect Christian leaders!" It's not there.
But your other statements: "I believe we are to try and convert everyone to Christians! ... If we don't make Christianity a top priority in all of life, it will become something of the past!" I agree with that totally, nothing different from what I've been saying all along.
It's that I don't think you canshow me from Scripture that Christians are commanded or expected or supposed to be political.
11:16, I agree you are being not nice, it seems that you came into this with a large chip on your shoulder! Quoting you: Good Grief and Get it Straight People! And you were only the 7th poster. It wasn't like anyone was saying anything mean or rude!
The goal at the end of life is to have lived a Christian life, to preach Jesus and to save souls, especially by being a good Christian. If we can do that through society, why not? If we can elect Christian leaders, why not? If we can get lawmakers to pass more Christian like laws, why not?
I too don't understand where you are coming from in thinking that Christianity has no place in politics. What exactly are you thinking in politics that we don't need to be in?
I am very thankful that I live in a community (society) that feels it is important to elect Christians into every aspect of our lives! Our local grocery store is owned by Christians and refuse to sell alcohol! Our State Rep is a good Christian, our school board is full of them, I could go on and on! And why? Bc I want to live in a Godly Nation that makes Godly based decisions! I want God to be number one where ever people go! You can live in your unGodly Society and keep preaching one by one. I absolutely support you in your quest. But as for me and my family, we will serve God! And we will do it around others who share our passion for him. I live to be an example. I hope you're doing the same.
12:16, here, with a big sigh at being misunderstood (deliberately?).
I haven't said that Christianity has no place in politics. I haven't said that Christians shouldn't try to get elected to things.
I HAVE said (in so many words or not) that it isn't the Christian's primary job to make a Christian nation, and that Jesus and Paul never commanded that we try to change current government policies. I HAVE said that the Christian's primary concern should be to save souls, one soul at a time, and that becoming distracted with changing society as a whole is a waste of spiritual and physical energy.
I'm still waiting for someone to show Bible for it being the Christian's job to change society.
But that being said, if you want to go on and run for office, or join up with a political action committe, or get involved in some other way, that's fine. We need Christian people to do that. Commit that to the Lord, and He'll give success. We should pray for that to happen.
But those sentiments are not at all opposed to my original points: Don't expect society to be Godly, even for all your efforts. The first job of the Christian is NOT politics, it is soul-winning.
Most of these questions are now submitted. Please feel free to submit your question and see how others feel. Email me here with a subject line of "Anonymous Truth"
21 comments:
I think "perverted values" have always been around in our society.
If you think about it, we used to have:
* Slavery
* Mentally challeged kids/teens were locked away in institutions
* Kids were sexually, physically and emotionally abused and no one did anything (yes I know that still happens)
* There was child labor
* People were treated drastically differently by how they looked
I think the thing is, that Christians need to be the light of the world and the salt of the earth but not conform to worldly values.
I think some things have gotten better. We have come a long ways from 8:00's comment, but at the same time we fall further away from certain other values. Number one being family time. With all the technology out there, no one seems to play face to face games anymore, eat together as a family, go outside just to catch lightening bugs, family bible studies, and just good family conversations. Playing outside and burning energy and fat was the only thing kids used to be able to do! You would be suprised at how much easier it is to show Christ through actions when you and your kids are actually around people face to face as opposed to behind a computer, through texts, or video games through the internet!
I think that some people's values definitely seem to be based on what is popular in society instead of what God calls us to in Scripture. I've seen parents who treat their children in a very unloving way, and yet expect their children to grown into Christians who show love to others -no wonder it doesn't work -we have to model what we want them to be.
Most people tend to become like whatever they're exposed to, so when we spend way more time watching TV, movies, and reading papers, magazines, and books than we spend reading the Bible or talking with other Christians about important things, it just follows that our values will become corrupted by that which we're allowing to flood our thinking.
So, yes, some of our values are perverted by society.
I think Christian Values are hard to come by. They are becoming few and far between because of parents low expectations. We, as parents, are not owning up to our own sins as much as we should. Our kids see this and don't think it is wrong to do certain things (gossip, cuss, drink). Also, we don't ever want to turn our kids away, therefore they feel they can do no real wrong! We need to get back to our roots and do what is right in the sight of God! Higher the Christian standards.
As far as society goes, it's becoming a la la land! Accept everyone no matter what they do or how they believe. God wants there to be one church and one gospel. We can't all be right when we all can't agree! If you have strong Christian Values (and follow them!), then in my opinion, you're headed in the right direction!
A little bit off subject but agreeing with 10:09.
We have a very large number of pregnant teens in our area and our congregation. I hate seeing these young girls like this. I think they should come forward and ask forgiveness and make an effort to make their wrong, right. I think it would make a huge impact on the other young girls of the church. Society makes it so easy to have a baby when you are a teen. It is accepted, their are programs to pay your college and daycare, housing is paid for, everything! I have been to many local congregations in the past 2 years, mostly visiting before choosing one. I have not seen one person come forward in those 2 years! It's unheard of anymore. Do we not feel as though we stumble anymore?
10:15 am - Have you thought about trying to encourage/mentor these pregnant teens? Just curious.
I'm not getting on to you at all, but they may not even know that they should do that! I see people talking about others behind their back on what to do, but never ever try to help them, or even talk to them.
Sounds like the premise of the question treats this issue as a new one. Why is this even a new thought? Christian values have ALWAYS been perverted by non-Christian society and unbelieving parents.
Good grief, some people act like America used to be some Promised Land on Earth, where everyone loved God and treated their neighbor accordingly. Let's not romanticize things. Perverting Christian values is practically what an unGodly society is FOR, because it's ruled by Satan.
Get it straight, people. I become frustrated with Christians who believe that the job of the church is to make society into a Christian one. Not so. Christians are to preach Jesus and make diciples. Our calling is NOT political. I think Christians are spending entirely too much energy, spiritual and physical, in areas God never intended us to be.
Society will NEVER be concerned with Christian values aside from perverting them.
12:16, I do believe it is our job as Christians to seek and save the lost!?! I don't know why you would think different. If we don't try to make society a Christian one, then what will happen to our tv channels or bill boards?!? They are monitored and censored bc of Christians who took a stand against society! Christians are meant to be everywhere! The job of the church is to make a stand as one, where a single Christian wouldn't be heard! Maybe you aren't holding up your end of the deal: teaching, preaching and supporting!
Hey, 1:26 -- if you had actually read my statement, you would have seen that I said EXACTLY that: Preaching Jesus and making disciples = seeking and saving the lost. THAT'S the business of Christians.
Jesus never intended that we change the political landscape en masse, but one heart at a time. Like Paul, who says to obey our leaders and pray for them, but never mentions that we should make Christian nations. When he said that, the leaders of the world were guys like Caligula and Nero. If there was ever a time for Paul to call for sweeping, Christian change to the government, it was then, during the despicable and frankly insane rules of these Caesars.
In fact, Paul had the opportunity to preach to some of the most powerful leaders of his day, INCLUDING Caesar Nero and his household. And did he say "Hey, your policies are very unChristian, and you need to change them!"? No way. He preached Jesus. He was only concerned with saving the lost, NOT changing the policies of the government.
1:26, don't you think that if we follow Paul's example, then eventually the people in charge of our billboards and our TV and our governments will hear Jesus preached, become converted, and then make the changes themselves? THAT'S the natural result of doing things Jesus' way.
Please show me in the Bible where it says that the Church's job is to take a stand against current political policies. It's not there. On the contrary, the church is directed to obey and pray for world leaders.
So if it's all the same to you, I WILL "hold up my end" and preach Jesus and make disciples, one soul at a time.
crickets chirping...
can't answer that last. it is right.
10:30, just trying to be a butt?!?
I have more important things to do than sit and argue with a wall!
If it's been taught one heart at a time since Paul, and it's not changed society in how many years!Don't you think, maybe, just maybe we aren't doing it correctly?!?
10:46 -- What, you think that if we do it "right" the whole world will simply fall in line and come to church?
Even Jesus met with huge resistance, and he was the Son of God. What makes you think the church, made of mere mortals, is going to get off any easier?
As for "arguing with a wall" ....... it's nice to know someone recognized sound Bible teaching when they read it. You're right, no sense arguing with it, because you can't.
3:32 is right.
9:58 thanks for being a jerk and really NOT trying to convert or teach. You have been such a stumbling block instead of a good teacher!
I believe we are to try and convert everyone to Christians! We are suppossed to elect Christian leaders! You don't agree with that? If we don't make Christianity a top priority in all of life, it will become something of the past!
In Bible days, they had no choice in who was their leader, the only thing they could do was pray for them! Basically what I am getting from your statements is that we live in an 'unGodly' society, it's suppossed to be that way, all we can do is pray bc we are in a secret society aka church!?! Hush, Hush, God forbid we try to save Everyone, including society and our leaders!?!
I don't think you are going to be winning souls for Christ with your vitriol. You called me a butt. You called somebody else a jerk and a stumbling block. And these are your brothers and sisters in Christ.
Look, you have to first love God all you can pray to be able to love him more. You need to love your neighbor (Christian or not) as much as you love yourself, and pray that you will love yourself and others more.
And hopefully, this will spill over into all parts of your life, as it should. But the priority of the church should NEVER be political. We need to be person to person, loving each other and growing closer to Christ.
And taking care of widows and orphans in a personal way, not just supporting a program.
I was really angry when I first read your mean-spirited words, but now i just feel sorry for you. Praying for you today. Hoping that you are "rooted and established in love," and that you have the blessings that follow.
11:16 here. To clarify, I cannot tell on the reread whether the same person made the butt statement and the jerk statement.
But my reply reamins.
10:50, you said, "In Bible days, they had no choice in who was their leader, the only thing they could do was pray for them!"
Not true. Both Rome and Greece were democracies, hundreds of years before Christ (that would be in the time of the Hebrew prophets). Even though Caesars were in charge, Roman citizens, like the apostle Paul, still got to vote for their senators. So when Paul says to obey and pray for leaders, he's not just giving a list of the limits of Christian political abilities at the time. To hear you suggest otherwise is disturbing, because that means you think that God's word is imperfect.
You: "Basically what I am getting from your statements is that we live in an 'unGodly' society,"
We do. You haven't noticed?
You, again: " ... all we can do is pray bc we are in a secret society aka church!?! Hush, Hush, God forbid we try to save Everyone, including society and our leaders!?!"
Never even suggested the church was a secret society. What I've been saying all along is that we preach Jesus (NOT a secret activity) and make disciples.
Quoting myself: "the people in charge of our billboards and our TV and our governments will hear Jesus preached, become converted, and then make the changes themselves." Those were my words. I stand by them, because that's what Paul did.
Christians shouldn't hide their lights. But it isn't their primary calling to be political. Their primary calling is to preach Jesus and make disciples.
Again, you're going to have to show me Bible for your statement here: "We are suppossed to elect Christian leaders!" It's not there.
But your other statements: "I believe we are to try and convert everyone to Christians! ... If we don't make Christianity a top priority in all of life, it will become something of the past!" I agree with that totally, nothing different from what I've been saying all along.
It's that I don't think you canshow me from Scripture that Christians are commanded or expected or supposed to be political.
11:16, I agree you are being not nice, it seems that you came into this with a large chip on your shoulder! Quoting you: Good Grief and Get it Straight People! And you were only the 7th poster. It wasn't like anyone was saying anything mean or rude!
The goal at the end of life is to have lived a Christian life, to preach Jesus and to save souls, especially by being a good Christian. If we can do that through society, why not? If we can elect Christian leaders, why not? If we can get lawmakers to pass more Christian like laws, why not?
I too don't understand where you are coming from in thinking that Christianity has no place in politics. What exactly are you thinking in politics that we don't need to be in?
I am very thankful that I live in a community (society) that feels it is important to elect Christians into every aspect of our lives! Our local grocery store is owned by Christians and refuse to sell alcohol! Our State Rep is a good Christian, our school board is full of them, I could go on and on! And why? Bc I want to live in a Godly Nation that makes Godly based decisions! I want God to be number one where ever people go! You can live in your unGodly Society and keep preaching one by one. I absolutely support you in your quest. But as for me and my family, we will serve God! And we will do it around others who share our passion for him. I live to be an example. I hope you're doing the same.
12:16, not 11:16. So confusing!
12:16, here, with a big sigh at being misunderstood (deliberately?).
I haven't said that Christianity has no place in politics. I haven't said that Christians shouldn't try to get elected to things.
I HAVE said (in so many words or not) that it isn't the Christian's primary job to make a Christian nation, and that Jesus and Paul never commanded that we try to change current government policies. I HAVE said that the Christian's primary concern should be to save souls, one soul at a time, and that becoming distracted with changing society as a whole is a waste of spiritual and physical energy.
I'm still waiting for someone to show Bible for it being the Christian's job to change society.
But that being said, if you want to go on and run for office, or join up with a political action committe, or get involved in some other way, that's fine. We need Christian people to do that. Commit that to the Lord, and He'll give success. We should pray for that to happen.
But those sentiments are not at all opposed to my original points: Don't expect society to be Godly, even for all your efforts. The first job of the Christian is NOT politics, it is soul-winning.
AMEN
you can't legislate morality, it has to come from the heart.:) love God, love each other.
Post a Comment