No, there is zero chance my kids will have a TV in their room or unsupervised internet. I think you are just begging for trouble with your kid when you allow those. As for the cell phone, I survived fine with out one growing up, so I still don't know. IF we were to get them one, they would only be allowed to use it to call certian people and once they were at home, the cell phone will be turned off. (If a boy wants to call my daugher, I want them calling on the house phone, I don't not want to have a clue who my kids are talking to and I want us to spend time as a family, not everyone on their phones texting or whatever.)
No TV or internet in their room. Cell phone--yes, when they're teens and not with me all the time--I want to be able to get a hold of them or vice versa--for safety. They will only have it while they're away from me--I don't like kids that are CONSTANTLY texting their friends. How annoying!
According to 6:08 I have done everything wrong. Funny how my children have turned out just fine. With TV, internet and cell phone. Sounds like my children are older than hers.
I had a TV in my room and a cell phone when I turned 16. My parents solved the TV problem by not having cable, and if I got in trouble they took te TV out of my room. It was small VCR/TV combo.
I have a feeling that the earlier posters might change their mind with cell phone when their kids start driving.
At this stage in our lives my husband and I have agreed that we do not want tv's in our kids' rooms.
I would absolutely not want internet in their bedrooms.
A cell phone would probable when they are teens. I would always want my children to have access to me. You never know what situation they may want to get out of and especially if they are driving. I would have limits on it's use though, emergency only.
I have friends who let their kids have tv's in their rooms. I suppose it isn't doing any damage to them, but it isn't of any benefit either, in my opinion. I do not plan to allow my kids to have tv in their room, and definitely not a computer.
As far as cell phones, I think when they start driving is a good time to get them a phone. Hopefully if we determine they are responsible enough to drive the family car, they are responsible enough to handle a cell phone. Plus it can be leverage when we need to discipline.
Our daughter has a tv in her room and she never watches it. She would rather be with us....so far. We have a wireless internet connection in our house, so we can be anywhere and be connected. I will monitor what my child does on the computer and my husband and I are very computer savvy and can check the history and other sites viewed very easily. As for the cell phone, I think it really depends on the maturity level of the child and what they want it for. I think until they are at least driving they really don't need one. However, you can buy phones that only call a few select numbers and do not allow text messages or images to be received.
I agree with 6;58 about borrowing a cell phone from a friend. There really is no NEED for them to have them. Most of us didn't have one and we all managed to survive without dying on the side of the road.
I think most people who think it isn't a problem that they have internet in the kid's bedroom is in denial. Do you look at their Myspace/Facebook and the junk they post on their?? Especially for boys to have internet in thier room is a BAD idea, that is just an open invitation to porn.
And I believe TV in the bedroom is a bad idea too, even if you take the cable out, it still takes away time from family and creates bad sleeping habits. Also, I am one who is annoyed by TV in cars, seriously, can we not manage the 10 minute drive to wal-mart without the kid watching a video??!
my girls have a tv in their room, and they are young. the only time they watch it, is if we are watching something and they have another program they want to watch. they are seldom in their room at all. the older child has a cell, because when they are at their dads, i want to be able to talk to them if they need me. it is a restricted line, and she must ask permission to use it. i think this teaches her accountability and maturity. she realizes that although, she is blessed with material "cool" stuff, it is really not such a big deal. we all have different circumstances in our lives and have to deal with them the way we feel is best. :)
No tv's in my kids' rooms. I have friends that their kids can't sleep w/o tv on and I don't want my kids to get into that habit! We only watch an hour of tv a nt anyways. We stay so busy with other stuff. My kids do watch their tv in the truck, we have a 45 min drive to get groceries and it makes it a nicer drive!
We have one computer set up in our office area. Our kids are 7 and under and are still not allowed to use it. I'm holding out as long as possible.
As far as cell phones. My nephew has one and he's 8 years old. It drives me insane when all I can here is: 'Dude, spongebob's on this channel, isn't that stupid!' While we are trying to have supper or a bday party!?! NO cell phone until they are driving and we'll pay for a certain amount of minutes that they can use only in emergency or to call us/home. I hate cell phones and the need to always be able to find someone. I miss the old days. And yes I do have a cell phone, but I can almost never find it! I pretty much carry it only in case of emergencies.
My child is a 6th grader. She has a cell phone, she has TV in her room, computer, the works. These are blessings of technology that we are fortunate to have. Why shouldn't our kids get to use them? My daughter and I talk on our cell phones all the time to each other, and at least she has it for an emergency if she needs it. We use MySpace and go on each others pages. We don't share the same interests in TV shows, so she gets to watch what she wants. I think technology has been great for keeping our family together and keeping peace at home.
11:48, I want to protect my children's hearts. Why would I give the free access to porn and chatting with random people without my knowledge, crap on TV, and other junk? I want to be a good parent, not a friend to them (we can be friends when they older), if it means them being mad at me for not allowing them to "sext" their friends, then so be it.
We won't allow tv or computers in their bedrooms. They will have a cell phone once they are high school age.
The hard part is we are a good 10 years from having a child high school age. So who knows what we will have to deal with technology wise. Right now in our house we have lap tops and wireless internet. Will we have to block out the signal to part of the house? And with cell phones - will you even be able to buy a basic phone - not a smart phone? These are just questions we ask ourselves. If I had teenagers today. I think we would look into blocking our wireless signal in parts of the house (their phones and internet wouldn't work in their bedrooms). Then we would have a central charging station where everyone charges everything and Mom and Dad can snoop.
What would you do if their school issues lap tops? or How will you manage if the only phones available are iphone types (basically a computer in your pocket).
If you at least trust your kids with a few things like tv...internet...cell phone. They might surprise you. Why shelter them up? Not letting them have things makes them abuse it when they do get it.
Seriously 3:39?? So should we let them experiment with drugs and sex too? Why shelther them from it? Afterall, if we don't let them have it they will abuse it, right?
I agree with 3:39, my child has a TV. AND she will at some point have a cell phone, probably a TracPhone or something where I can monitor minutes. Our internet is already blocked from questionable sites through a firewall, so I do let my 5 year old play games on the computer (sites I have saved for her.) She's amazing on the computer! You have to let your kids explore - this is technology that will lead their future!! When my daughter is in high school my guess is that each student will have a hand held device much like a iPhone to do all class work on. Technology is headed that way quickly!
8:17- You are talking like kids rule the place!! I'm sorry but I tell my kids what they can and can't do. My son has a TV in his room but daughter doesnt. He can't even reach it and it is only used if I want him in his room watching TV which is not often! TV in car will not be turned on for a quick 10 minute trip unless I want it to be! But for 12 hour drives...they've been a blessing!!
Internet, I would not allow it in their room. I don't know anything about computers and couldn't monitor it. It's not just boys that have porn issues though. Girls just keep it a secret more. Computer will be in the main part of the house and once again, only when I want them on it!
I think if you are a parent that is able to manage their kids usage, you are able to let them have things like this. If you are a parent that is super busy and wouldn't know if they were "sexting" like said above, then you probably shouldn't let your kids have stuff.
It just depends on the parent and their involvement.
339 here. I am serious. Just because your kid has a tv and such in their room doesn't mean they are going to get into drugs and sex....that is all on your parenting then. Do you have a problem with drugs and sex? Is that why you are worried your kids having that stuff?
Are you the same people who send your kids to private school? Hah because thats perfect. Send them to private school with all the snotty rich kids and give them nothing so not only do you make them outcast from the start...they will look to those things anways.
Some of you want to let your kids borrow other people's phone? How is that smart? Then you don't know who they are calling or texting! I would rather give them a phone and then monitor who they are calling/txting.
What happened to 6-10 year old girls playing barbies, dress up, house, tea party? Why get cell phones so they can text non stop? Why watch shows of "fabulous" teenagers? I don't think it will lead to anything harmful if it's being monitored, but why are we helping our kids grow up faster than they need to. Kids should have something to look forward to as they continue to get older. If they have everything by the time they are 10, they'll be nothing left besides little boys to play with. Just think about it. Keep some things for later on.
No tvs or internet in the rooms under any circumstances. Cell phones are allowed when they start driving. Oh and it will be a prepaid cell phone for emergencies until they graduate high school.
Most of these questions are now submitted. Please feel free to submit your question and see how others feel. Email me here with a subject line of "Anonymous Truth"
28 comments:
Do you (or will you) allow your child to have a TV and internet in their room? How about a cell phone?
No, there is zero chance my kids will have a TV in their room or unsupervised internet. I think you are just begging for trouble with your kid when you allow those. As for the cell phone, I survived fine with out one growing up, so I still don't know. IF we were to get them one, they would only be allowed to use it to call certian people and once they were at home, the cell phone will be turned off. (If a boy wants to call my daugher, I want them calling on the house phone, I don't not want to have a clue who my kids are talking to and I want us to spend time as a family, not everyone on their phones texting or whatever.)
No TV or internet in their room. Cell phone--yes, when they're teens and not with me all the time--I want to be able to get a hold of them or vice versa--for safety. They will only have it while they're away from me--I don't like kids that are CONSTANTLY texting their friends. How annoying!
I think 6:08 summed it up nicely.
I see absolutely no reason for a kid to have a tv in their own room at any age.
I think most of our friends will allow their kids to have cell phones much earlier than we plan to. Our kids can borrow their phones to call home.
According to 6:08 I have done everything wrong.
Funny how my children have turned out just fine. With TV, internet and cell phone.
Sounds like my children are older than hers.
Yes, I do/have allowed.
I had a TV in my room and a cell phone when I turned 16. My parents solved the TV problem by not having cable, and if I got in trouble they took te TV out of my room. It was small VCR/TV combo.
I have a feeling that the earlier posters might change their mind with cell phone when their kids start driving.
I do agree with the internet.
At this stage in our lives my husband and I have agreed that we do not want tv's in our kids' rooms.
I would absolutely not want internet in their bedrooms.
A cell phone would probable when they are teens. I would always want my children to have access to me. You never know what situation they may want to get out of and especially if they are driving. I would have limits on it's use though, emergency only.
I have friends who let their kids have tv's in their rooms. I suppose it isn't doing any damage to them, but it isn't of any benefit either, in my opinion. I do not plan to allow my kids to have tv in their room, and definitely not a computer.
As far as cell phones, I think when they start driving is a good time to get them a phone. Hopefully if we determine they are responsible enough to drive the family car, they are responsible enough to handle a cell phone. Plus it can be leverage when we need to discipline.
Our daughter has a tv in her room and she never watches it. She would rather be with us....so far. We have a wireless internet connection in our house, so we can be anywhere and be connected. I will monitor what my child does on the computer and my husband and I are very computer savvy and can check the history and other sites viewed very easily. As for the cell phone, I think it really depends on the maturity level of the child and what they want it for. I think until they are at least driving they really don't need one. However, you can buy phones that only call a few select numbers and do not allow text messages or images to be received.
I agree with 6;58 about borrowing a cell phone from a friend. There really is no NEED for them to have them. Most of us didn't have one and we all managed to survive without dying on the side of the road.
I think most people who think it isn't a problem that they have internet in the kid's bedroom is in denial. Do you look at their Myspace/Facebook and the junk they post on their?? Especially for boys to have internet in thier room is a BAD idea, that is just an open invitation to porn.
And I believe TV in the bedroom is a bad idea too, even if you take the cable out, it still takes away time from family and creates bad sleeping habits. Also, I am one who is annoyed by TV in cars, seriously, can we not manage the 10 minute drive to wal-mart without the kid watching a video??!
my girls have a tv in their room, and they are young. the only time they watch it, is if we are watching something and they have another program they want to watch. they are seldom in their room at all. the older child has a cell, because when they are at their dads, i want to be able to talk to them if they need me. it is a restricted line, and she must ask permission to use it. i think this teaches her accountability and maturity. she realizes that although, she is blessed with material "cool" stuff, it is really not such a big deal. we all have different circumstances in our lives and have to deal with them the way we feel is best. :)
No tv's in my kids' rooms. I have friends that their kids can't sleep w/o tv on and I don't want my kids to get into that habit! We only watch an hour of tv a nt anyways. We stay so busy with other stuff. My kids do watch their tv in the truck, we have a 45 min drive to get groceries and it makes it a nicer drive!
We have one computer set up in our office area. Our kids are 7 and under and are still not allowed to use it. I'm holding out as long as possible.
As far as cell phones. My nephew has one and he's 8 years old. It drives me insane when all I can here is: 'Dude, spongebob's on this channel, isn't that stupid!' While we are trying to have supper or a bday party!?! NO cell phone until they are driving and we'll pay for a certain amount of minutes that they can use only in emergency or to call us/home. I hate cell phones and the need to always be able to find someone. I miss the old days. And yes I do have a cell phone, but I can almost never find it! I pretty much carry it only in case of emergencies.
No to the TV and computer in their room.
Yes, to the cell phone.
Wow, you people are strict.
My child is a 6th grader. She has a cell phone, she has TV in her room, computer, the works. These are blessings of technology that we are fortunate to have. Why shouldn't our kids get to use them? My daughter and I talk on our cell phones all the time to each other, and at least she has it for an emergency if she needs it. We use MySpace and go on each others pages. We don't share the same interests in TV shows, so she gets to watch what she wants. I think technology has been great for keeping our family together and keeping peace at home.
lighten up.
11:48, I want to protect my children's hearts. Why would I give the free access to porn and chatting with random people without my knowledge, crap on TV, and other junk? I want to be a good parent, not a friend to them (we can be friends when they older), if it means them being mad at me for not allowing them to "sext" their friends, then so be it.
No tv in their rooms, ever.
Sometimes we let her watch tv in our room.
We won't allow tv or computers in their bedrooms. They will have a cell phone once they are high school age.
The hard part is we are a good 10 years from having a child high school age. So who knows what we will have to deal with technology wise. Right now in our house we have lap tops and wireless internet. Will we have to block out the signal to part of the house? And with cell phones - will you even be able to buy a basic phone - not a smart phone? These are just questions we ask ourselves. If I had teenagers today. I think we would look into blocking our wireless signal in parts of the house (their phones and internet wouldn't work in their bedrooms). Then we would have a central charging station where everyone charges everything and Mom and Dad can snoop.
What would you do if their school issues lap tops? or How will you manage if the only phones available are iphone types (basically a computer in your pocket).
If you at least trust your kids with a few things like tv...internet...cell phone. They might surprise you. Why shelter them up? Not letting them have things makes them abuse it when they do get it.
Seriously 3:39?? So should we let them experiment with drugs and sex too? Why shelther them from it? Afterall, if we don't let them have it they will abuse it, right?
Hey 4:13 you should try less caffeine!
I agree with 3:39, my child has a TV. AND she will at some point have a cell phone, probably a TracPhone or something where I can monitor minutes. Our internet is already blocked from questionable sites through a firewall, so I do let my 5 year old play games on the computer (sites I have saved for her.) She's amazing on the computer! You have to let your kids explore - this is technology that will lead their future!! When my daughter is in high school my guess is that each student will have a hand held device much like a iPhone to do all class work on. Technology is headed that way quickly!
8:17- You are talking like kids rule the place!! I'm sorry but I tell my kids what they can and can't do. My son has a TV in his room but daughter doesnt. He can't even reach it and it is only used if I want him in his room watching TV which is not often! TV in car will not be turned on for a quick 10 minute trip unless I want it to be! But for 12 hour drives...they've been a blessing!!
Internet, I would not allow it in their room. I don't know anything about computers and couldn't monitor it. It's not just boys that have porn issues though. Girls just keep it a secret more. Computer will be in the main part of the house and once again, only when I want them on it!
I think if you are a parent that is able to manage their kids usage, you are able to let them have things like this. If you are a parent that is super busy and wouldn't know if they were "sexting" like said above, then you probably shouldn't let your kids have stuff.
It just depends on the parent and their involvement.
339 here. I am serious. Just because your kid has a tv and such in their room doesn't mean they are going to get into drugs and sex....that is all on your parenting then. Do you have a problem with drugs and sex? Is that why you are worried your kids having that stuff?
Are you the same people who send your kids to private school? Hah because thats perfect. Send them to private school with all the snotty rich kids and give them nothing so not only do you make them outcast from the start...they will look to those things anways.
Some of you want to let your kids borrow other people's phone? How is that smart? Then you don't know who they are calling or texting! I would rather give them a phone and then monitor who they are calling/txting.
What happened to 6-10 year old girls playing barbies, dress up, house, tea party? Why get cell phones so they can text non stop? Why watch shows of "fabulous" teenagers? I don't think it will lead to anything harmful if it's being monitored, but why are we helping our kids grow up faster than they need to. Kids should have something to look forward to as they continue to get older. If they have everything by the time they are 10, they'll be nothing left besides little boys to play with. Just think about it. Keep some things for later on.
NO WAY to TV or internet in their room at any age.
Cell phone yes--but with limits when they are older.
No tvs or internet in the rooms under any circumstances. Cell phones are allowed when they start driving. Oh and it will be a prepaid cell phone for emergencies until they graduate high school.
Post a Comment