Wednesday, May 6, 2009

What's Worse Wednesday

During an accident while cleaning your gun, would it be worse to graze your child with the bullet, causing no permanent damage, or to kill the family dog?

43 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are no accident with guns. Stupidity is not accidental. In your hypothesis: sorry Fluffly, I could never calculate the harm done to my child by even a grazing blow.

Anonymous said...

sorry dog, you are toast.

Anonymous said...

the dog.

Anonymous said...

spot

Anonymous said...

It's worse to hit your child!

Anonymous said...

It would be way worse to graze my child. I can get another dog.

Anonymous said...

Who's going to let a bullet graze their child?

Anonymous said...

It would be SO SO SO SO much worse to graze your child.

And, anyone who is cleaning his/her gun around his/her child is an idiot. And should have to take parenting classes.

Anonymous said...

it's only a flesh wound.

Anonymous said...

I can see I'm going to be the only gun advocate on here today!

I agree there are no accidents with guns! Our guns are never loaded in our home, so I never have to worry about them going off inside while cleaning them.

But I have to disagree with 9:10. Just because you are cleaning your gun in front of your kid does not make you a bad parent that needs classes!! The reason for gun accidents is the idiot behind the gun! Guns don't kill, people do! So, by showing my children that they are serious and need to be held, cleaned, stored, etc a certain way, they will learn safety and responsibility with guns. We instill safety from the time they are babes by never ever letting them point play guns, finger guns, etc at anybody!

I know I am probably one of the few that is like this but instead of gun locks and new laws, I feel we need to go back to basics and teach safety!

Oh ya, I'd kill the family dog!

Anonymous said...

Also, oddly enough our dog's name is Rugger!

Anonymous said...

Well, at least our dog would stop riding the dog train all night long.

Guns don't belong in the home. Period.

Anonymous said...

Guns don't kill people?!

Well, they help quite a lot, don't you think? Don't you think that if all the guns went away today, murders and other crimes would decrease?

Please come up with something more original than "guns don't kill, people do." That's overused so much and it's not even true. I'll bet that if you gave your pet chimp a loaded gun, you wouldn't want to stay in the same room. What's dangerous, the gun or the chimp?

I owned a gun, hunted little Peter Cottontail and Bambi's mom and all that, earlier in my life. Then I got married, and my wife said "You can either have me in the house, or the gun in the house." That really opened up my eyes to the importance of people -- that people far outweigh the Good Ol' Second Amendment. Just 'cuz ya CAN, don't mean ya SHOULD.

So to answer the question, it would be worse to graze my child. I can let the dog go anytime. Right, 10:45?

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have a gun in a house with a child in it. Sorry. Unless you're a law enforcement professional, it's not a good idea. So I guess I think it would be better to kill the dog.

Anonymous said...

Poor ole Henry...but I would never have a gun around anyone in my family, especially the kids. I don't even have a gun. I'm scared of them!

Anonymous said...

No 10:41 you aren't the only advocate. I'm a gun advocate. I have a gun in my house, but I don't have kids. It would make me very nervous to have a child and gun the same house. When I have children I would only keep the gun if we bought a gun safe.

Even though I do not have kids,
I feel that it's safe to say that I would not be cleaning my gun in the house with my child standing near. SO the dog is out!

Anonymous said...

It would be bad to hurt the child, though I sure would hate to loose the family dog. BUT seriously, only an idiot would clean a gun that is still loaded.

I grew up with rifles and shot guns in my house, but they always stayed locked up so that we couldn't get to them and we were taught they weren't toys. I don't have a problem with those kinds of guns being in the house with the proper precautions. Hand guns make me a little more nervous. Personally I don't have either in my home at this time. I'm a horrible shot and can't see having something in the house I don't know how to use.

Anonymous said...

I think people having guns in the house is not terrible if they are impossible for kids to get them. I do know they make abused people feel safer (and non abused people). But if you had someone who broke in your home and raped you...you may feel differently about having a gun in your house. I don't have one but i'm trying to help stand up for those that do.

I also personally think accidental deaths would occur less but not murders...they'll just find other ways to do it if for some reason all guns were outlawed! There would be more gas and lighters or something. Accidental deaths also occur in fire pits, swimming pools, bathtubs. You can't outlaw everything. Even bad parents unfortunately. I do believe God can work through those accidents for his good though.

Anonymous said...

outlaw guns ... now, there's a thought. Take all the guns out of the hands of responsible, law-abiding, country-loving citizens, and put them in the hands of outlaws.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

Same goes for other things as well ... when baseball bats are outlawed, only outlaws will have baseball bats.

We could try it with alcohol and drugs, too. Wait, we already did, and we can see the effects of THAT.

Anonymous said...

So we went from a discussion about a grazed kid or a dead pet to whether or not we should legalize marijuana?? AWESOME.

Anonymous said...

Why are you cleaning the gun with your child around?

Anonymous said...

I'm 10:41 and I'm guessing a lot of you don't want to be around my house come deer season!

I gurantee that my children, even being exposed to guns, will be 100 times less violent than some of you that let your kids play gruesome video games or point play guns at eachother!

To 10:58, you want something more original! Here you go. Last year more people in my state were killed by alcohol related accidents than guns! More killed by baseball bats, knives and RX pills (individually) than guns! Equal amounts of suicides as killed by accident with guns! And we are a huge 'gun owners' state. So, I guess I'm suggesting you get rid of every knife, baseball bat, tire iron, golf club, pills, alcohol, rope and even maybe your car! And those are all laying around your house! My guns are in a $5,000 fire safe that my kids can't get into!

Anonymous said...

I agree with 10:41.

I also believe the 2nd ammendment is vital to our country.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the Rape comment my house has been broken into and I have been Raped and my hand gun does make me feel safer!!!!! the only time my gun is loaded and out of the box that it is locked away in with a trigger lock is if my husband is not going to be home with me.... my children know we have a gun and it is not something to be played with!! YES I KNOW HOW TO SHOOT IT AND WILL NOT EVEN THINK TWICE TO SHOOT THE NEXT PERSON WHO BREAKS IN TO MY HOME AND TAKES AWAY THE ONE PLACE I SHOULD FEEL SAFE!!!!!

Anonymous said...

did someone say marijuana???

Anonymous said...

I don't care if it's loaded or not, I don't care if you're being safe or not, 10:41 -- a person SHOULD NOT BE CLEANING HIS gun around his child. It's NOT necessary and shouldn't be done. Period.

Anonymous said...

10:49 I disagree! I don't feel it is necessary to clean it in front of my kids, but if I am cleaning it in my bedroom and they walk in, I'm not going to hide it! It's not something bad!! I'm not going to let them play with it or touch it either! My kids have seen me clean it so many times, that they could care less what I am doing!

But I agree You shouldn't have one in Your home, if you are afraid of it or don't know how to use it, it's not for you!

I think you are picturing me cleaning my pistol or war gun in a darkened room with crazy posters all around and maybe me wearing all army camo! That's not it at all.

You need to think this through a little before opening your mouth....Period! Guns save innocent people every day. They also keep us very safe! Make your kids scared of them and of course they'll never use them properly.

10:58, give the crazy chimp a knife or a bomb or maybe a hand grenade, who's worse now? Not a good example in my opinion. Can't blame a loaded gun for killing someone if it's not touched! Someone had to pull the trigger, someone had to load the bullet, etc.. Someone killed someone, not the weapon they used!

Anonymous said...

But guns sure make it easy.

Obviously, there are very well intentioned people who are responsible with their fire arms. For those, I have little concern and no judgment.

But you can't tell me that the killings and injuries that are caused by gangs and drug dealers wouldn't be decreased if guns were not involved. Guns create a distance from the victim, physical and emotional. You don't have to touch, hear, smell or really even see them to kill them. You don't have to think about a life you are taking. You don't feel the blood splatter or hear the bones breaking.

There are too many people out there who aren't responsible adults and do all kinds of stupid things related to a fire arm.

Anonymous said...

10:41 here, I agree 100% to that! I wish there was some way to take guns out of their hands, but outlawing them isn't going to do that. The guns gangs use are usually stolen military type or pistols. I hate that they even have those kinds around!

There should be a law: Military guns stay in the military! Pistols stay with Police! Shotguns can only be obtained after getting your hunters education and safety/hunting cards! Why can't law makers figure this out and fix things?!?

Anonymous said...

I agree with 10:58 am (today) that there are people who are very responsible with their guns. That's great. 10:41, I'm sure you are responsible. I'm not trying to cast you as a "villian". (I was 10:49 pm last night)

I just think that there's NO reason why someone has to clean a gun around a child. It's just not necessary, and to me it's irresponsible. And I'm not saying you do, because I have no idea.

Anonymous said...

Give me a break!!
I grew up around guns. Watched my dad clean them, shoot them, reload shells, etc. He taught me how to shoot them and how to be responsible with them.

I have a gun in my home. Yes, it is loaded, but locked. My husband goes on trips out of town and I am home alone with my kids for a weekend or week at a time. I will not hesitate to use that gun to protect some dirt bag from coming into my home and raping me or my children. I am not a bad mother because I have a gun in my home! I am responsible with it and will teach my children to do the same!!!! If you don't want a gun in your home that is your choice. We live in America!!! I have one in my home and hopefully noone will take that right from me anytime soon!

Anonymous said...

5 pm here: Oh and it would be worse to shoot my child!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like you're clinging to your gun...

HOW DARE YOU HAVE A LOADED GUN IN YOUR HOME WITH KIDS. I don't care if it's locked. You have to be hypervigilant with that.

I pray for you.

Anonymous said...

Once again....GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am hypervigilant about my children around the gun. In fact they hardly ever see it, and it is put away!! But, God forbid, if I need it I will use it to protect my family and so will my husband. I will not stand by and let some PERVERT break into my home and molest my children or me!! I know how to use the gun and keep it away from my children.

It is not a SIN to own a gun and HOW DARE YOU condemn me for having a gun around my children, loaded or not. When I do have the gun out around my kids we talk about how it is not a toy and they are never to touch and so on. It is NOT, I repeat NOT irresponsible to have a loaded gun in your home!! It is irresponsible to leave it laying around where anyone can pick it up!

Pray for me if you want but not because I have a gun in my home! Pray for me to raise my children in a loving christian home and that my eternity will be spent in heaven!! Otherwise save your breath!!!!~!!

Anonymous said...

10:41 here, to 5pm. I kept a loaded pistol for that kind of protection beside my bed (on the top shelf of my gun cabinet with a lock and in a locked case) but I felt less safe with it. I hated to practice it, it gave me chills! It took forever to get to it in an 'emergency situation'. Find it on the top shelf, unlock the case, unlock the trigger, now it's ready! The only reason we have it is bc it was passed down when my grandpa died. I have since unloaded it, cleaned it, locked it up and hope to never see it again! It's in a box in the top of my husbands closet! It's easier for me to get a shot gun out if an intruder should break in. It's a lot less likely to be turned on me too! They are big and scary looking! I am not against you having a gun, but seriously, it takes two seconds to load a pistol. Please keep it unloaded and locked.

Anonymous said...

Also, when you say: It's not irresponsible to have a loaded gun around your kids, but it is irresponsible to leave it laying around. Makes me think, in case of an emergency, your kid falls and is seriously hurt, or gets a cut or burn, what are you going to do with that loaded gun? Set it down and run to the kid leaving it for other kids to grab? Run to the other room to lock the gun back up and then tend to your kid? Unloaded is ALWAYS a safer choice! It is irresponsible to have a Loaded gun around kids. It's about responsibility, it's a choice and an action!

Anonymous said...

"I pray for you."

Oh, shut up!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

EXACTLY!!!
It's a choice!! Stop condeming me for MY CHOICE. I am responsible with by shot gun! It is not out where the kids can get it. I have a game plan for using it should I need it, which hopefully I never will!

Look it seems like it's ok to have an opinion on here as long as it goes along with the mainstream. But God help you if you don't go along with the flow!!! GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!

If you're not comfortable with guns and you don't like them, then DON'T HAVE ONE AROUND!! If you know how to use and store a gun responsibly and you want one for protection, then that is your choice and right. Last time I checked the Constitution and the state I live in guarentee me that right and priviledge! Just because you don't agree with doesn't mean you're right and I am wrong! I thought this was supposed to be a place to voice our opinions not be a attacked because I see things a different way from someone else!!

Anonymous said...

I am sorry you are being attacked! Some of these people may have had close calls or knew of people that have so they are passionate about not having them loaded just in case. But if you have a game plan and you know you are doing what is right for yourself, just ignore them! I still value your opinion and love hearing both sides so keep voicing your opinions!

Anonymous said...

Thank you 2:19!!

Anonymous said...

What an idiot to tell people who offer to pray for them to shut up or save their breath.

I'll take the prayers the idiots refuse, because I obviously need them.

Anonymous said...

Excuse me but do you call yourself a christain?? Calling me an idiot! Did you not read what I said, or did you edit out the stuff you didn't want to hear? And just so you know I was not the one who told them to shut up! I think you are being extremely rude by calling me an idiot and not very Christ-like! You don't even know me!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I call anybody an idiot who refuses prayers or tells someone to save their breath about that. So if you didn't say SHUT UP, then I must be addressing two idiots.

And I do call myself a Christian, I told you I need prayers. I am judgmental.

But if you think you are ANY BETTER, reread what you have read, how many exclamation marks you have used, and how you despised me for offering to pray for you, which I have done, by the way, for the safety of you and your family. And that you will be loving and open minded. I would hope you return the exact same prayer for me. And add whatever you think I need. Please don't save your breath. The prayer of a righteous one is powerful and effective. I can only hope that you yourself are righteous.