Why are we pushing little girls to grow up so quickly? Why do they have to turn Dora into a moody teenager with highlights and boy troubles? Seriously. Let them wear lip gloss....fine. Let them wear dress up clothes.....great. Little girls are going to do that, whether you encourage it or not. But let's just hold off on curling their eyelashes and putting highlights in their hair for a few more years.
Heck no! Why does a 3 year old need highlights? That has to be the silliest thing ever. Do parents not have more important things to spend their money on than highlights?
your little girl will only be little for so long and then she is outta here, cherish the baby times, there will be plenty of time for the rest later. don't create a monster too early.
I agree, 9:26. I would not do that with my daugghter, but it is not any different than swim suits or other clothes they are allowed to wear that in many cases are not even appropriate for teen age girls. Bottom line is, they want to do what we do, girls or boys, and they will follow in our footsteps whether we like it or not. I think it can be cute and adorable as long as we teach them where their identity lies -- with their God and not in their appearance.
I think there is a difference between hair and clothes. Hair coloring isn't appropriate for that age and if I saw it, I'd be sad. That would be telling your daughter she isn't beautiful the way she is. Unlike clothes, makeup, and jewelry, color is permanent until you cut it out! I allow my daughter to dress up and put on makeup but not everyday. Most days she is in very normal non standout clothes. I don't ever want her to think beauty equals what you are wearing or look like. She knows dressing up is just for fun and I tell her she is beautiful everyday without that stuff. My actions speak the same to her. She doesn't see me spend two hours going from wombat to butterfly before I go to walmart or even church. She also doesn't see me dress like a fashion designer everyday either. The generation of teens now make me want to hurl and we need to change that for our kids.
It's one thing to put a little bikini on a toddler who doesn't have a body! I won't allow my teen to get revealing swimsuits. I teach dressing with age. When you start growing things, you have to start covering them up.
"... okay to let your 3 year old get highlights ..."
Okay to LET her GET them? The question should be is, is it okay to PUT them in a 3 year old's hair. There's no 3 yr old out there GETTING highlights, makeup, eyeshadow, etc., without some parent right there GIVING it to them.
So change the question to what you really mean: What's the right age for parents to start giving those privileges to their daughters?
Parents what's wrong with saying "You're not wearing THAT, even if you did pay for it"? or "You're not leaving the house looking like that, I don't care where you're going or if you're late."
Step up parents and stop putting this on your children. If it can be this way in my house, it can be this way in your house too.
Why even put a baby in a bikini? Why go there? Why start?
And I think play time of dress up is fine, but putting girls in outfits that you see college girls wear is frustrating to me.
I know they are the trend, but come on, let them be little girls. We'll be fighting fashion trends their entire adolescents and teenage years. Why start encouraging it when they are too little to even voice an opinion?
one of my best friends posted a FAKE picture of her daughter getting highlights on her facebook page. she little girl said "I WANT THAT" so they set her in the chair and put foil, JUST FOIL in her hair! they took pics and it was so funny.....when she posted it some people thought she was serious. PLEASE!!! people need to get a life and not take things so seriously! why, why, why would anyone do that a child’s hair it's absurd!
Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with highlighting your daughter's hair, no matter what age. That's not so hoochie. Even pierced ears are fine in my book -- but not my wife's, which is why my daughter didn't have pierced ears at 18 months. Play make up is awesome. Love to see the little girl playing dress up. That's cool.
What's happening here is that many people have different ideas of what's appropriate, and we can't sit in judgment of them. All we can do is give our daughters those things that we believe are age-appropriate.
Sunday, my daughter (9) was putting on the church clothes that my wife had picked out for her. She started to complain that the blouse was too low-cut and inappropriate. It wasn't, but the girl thought it might be, so she WANTED to change her shirt. I pray for that attitude to continue in my daughter, and I pray for all of your daughters to be infected with the same.
10:58- because a baby in a bikini is okay! There is nothing wrong with it and frankly they are adorable. I'm not sure what you are talking about clothes for college age. Maybe a tube top? I've actually never seen a toddler with one of those but may agree with you there. But for babies- they go around in just a diaper in the summertime. Kids can learn there are things babies can wear and things they can't. My kids will want to revert back to days they didn't have to go to school, didn't have to do chores, etc. But I remind them they would no longer be able to eat candy, icecream, watch cartoons, and they would have to take naps again. Kids can learn age appropriate behavior if you teach them and stand firm.
11:51 I know this person and also seen the facebook photos I did not ask them about it but as a hair stylist as well I found it crazy and did not think it was true... Folks their is a problem with this your hair should not be processed with anything until you have reached puperity, it could mess your hair up bad and even make it fall out.... so I guess if you want to take that kind of risk with your child then go right ahead but good luck finding a stylist who will do it for you!!!!
I wouldn't let my 3 year old get highlights, but being in the sun makes my 2 year old look like she has highlights! If people seriously think I would put highlights in her hair?!? Look how I'd be judged! My 10 year old wants them and I said no, but we did use sun-in a week ago and it looks a little lighter and is safe. I don't want anything in my children's hair that could damage it! Their hair is so fine and perfect, I want them to keep it that way as long as possible!
Most of these questions are now submitted. Please feel free to submit your question and see how others feel. Email me here with a subject line of "Anonymous Truth"
26 comments:
Why are we pushing little girls to grow up so quickly? Why do they have to turn Dora into a moody teenager with highlights and boy troubles? Seriously. Let them wear lip gloss....fine. Let them wear dress up clothes.....great. Little girls are going to do that, whether you encourage it or not. But let's just hold off on curling their eyelashes and putting highlights in their hair for a few more years.
Without a doubt, NO! I agree with 6:27, why can't we let kids be kids as long as possible?
Heck no! Why does a 3 year old need highlights? That has to be the silliest thing ever. Do parents not have more important things to spend their money on than highlights?
No!! and lose the eye-liner too!
no no no no no no no no no - insane
your little girl will only be little for so long and then she is outta here, cherish the baby times, there will be plenty of time for the rest later. don't create a monster too early.
yes it is ok - but NO I would not allow it
NO WAY
Really, is that any worse than how some of you let your little girls dress? It is just a matter of where you draw the line. If you do.
I agree, 9:26. I would not do that with my daugghter, but it is not any different than swim suits or other clothes they are allowed to wear that in many cases are not even appropriate for teen age girls. Bottom line is, they want to do what we do, girls or boys, and they will follow in our footsteps whether we like it or not. I think it can be cute and adorable as long as we teach them where their identity lies -- with their God and not in their appearance.
I think there is a difference between hair and clothes. Hair coloring isn't appropriate for that age and if I saw it, I'd be sad. That would be telling your daughter she isn't beautiful the way she is. Unlike clothes, makeup, and jewelry, color is permanent until you cut it out! I allow my daughter to dress up and put on makeup but not everyday. Most days she is in very normal non standout clothes. I don't ever want her to think beauty equals what you are wearing or look like. She knows dressing up is just for fun and I tell her she is beautiful everyday without that stuff. My actions speak the same to her. She doesn't see me spend two hours going from wombat to butterfly before I go to walmart or even church. She also doesn't see me dress like a fashion designer everyday either. The generation of teens now make me want to hurl and we need to change that for our kids.
It's one thing to put a little bikini on a toddler who doesn't have a body! I won't allow my teen to get revealing swimsuits. I teach dressing with age. When you start growing things, you have to start covering them up.
I think there's a problem with the question.
"... okay to let your 3 year old get highlights ..."
Okay to LET her GET them? The question should be is, is it okay to PUT them in a 3 year old's hair. There's no 3 yr old out there GETTING highlights, makeup, eyeshadow, etc., without some parent right there GIVING it to them.
So change the question to what you really mean: What's the right age for parents to start giving those privileges to their daughters?
Parents what's wrong with saying "You're not wearing THAT, even if you did pay for it"? or "You're not leaving the house looking like that, I don't care where you're going or if you're late."
Step up parents and stop putting this on your children. If it can be this way in my house, it can be this way in your house too.
Why even put a baby in a bikini? Why go there? Why start?
And I think play time of dress up is fine, but putting girls in outfits that you see college girls wear is frustrating to me.
I know they are the trend, but come on, let them be little girls. We'll be fighting fashion trends their entire adolescents and teenage years. Why start encouraging it when they are too little to even voice an opinion?
Not really. There is plenty of time for that when they're older.
one of my best friends posted a FAKE picture of her daughter getting highlights on her facebook page. she little girl said "I WANT THAT" so they set her in the chair and put foil, JUST FOIL in her hair! they took pics and it was so funny.....when she posted it some people thought she was serious. PLEASE!!! people need to get a life and not take things so seriously! why, why, why would anyone do that a child’s hair it's absurd!
I don't know if your friend was the target of this question, but people do actually do that kind of stuff.
Have you seen that Toddlers and Tiara show? CRAZY!
Let them be kids!!!
No. If they get highlights at 3, then what beauty modifications are they going to get at 13? A boob job?
Why would you expose your child to the chemicals required to highlight their hair and what kind of salon/hairdresser would do something like that?
Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with highlighting your daughter's hair, no matter what age. That's not so hoochie. Even pierced ears are fine in my book -- but not my wife's, which is why my daughter didn't have pierced ears at 18 months. Play make up is awesome. Love to see the little girl playing dress up. That's cool.
What's happening here is that many people have different ideas of what's appropriate, and we can't sit in judgment of them. All we can do is give our daughters those things that we believe are age-appropriate.
Sunday, my daughter (9) was putting on the church clothes that my wife had picked out for her. She started to complain that the blouse was too low-cut and inappropriate. It wasn't, but the girl thought it might be, so she WANTED to change her shirt. I pray for that attitude to continue in my daughter, and I pray for all of your daughters to be infected with the same.
10:58- because a baby in a bikini is okay! There is nothing wrong with it and frankly they are adorable. I'm not sure what you are talking about clothes for college age. Maybe a tube top? I've actually never seen a toddler with one of those but may agree with you there. But for babies- they go around in just a diaper in the summertime. Kids can learn there are things babies can wear and things they can't. My kids will want to revert back to days they didn't have to go to school, didn't have to do chores, etc. But I remind them they would no longer be able to eat candy, icecream, watch cartoons, and they would have to take naps again. Kids can learn age appropriate behavior if you teach them and stand firm.
11:51 I know this person and also seen the facebook photos I did not ask them about it but as a hair stylist as well I found it crazy and did not think it was true... Folks their is a problem with this your hair should not be processed with anything until you have reached puperity, it could mess your hair up bad and even make it fall out.... so I guess if you want to take that kind of risk with your child then go right ahead but good luck finding a stylist who will do it for you!!!!
Putting real highlights in your 3 year olds hair-NO
Letting your 3 year old little girl climb up in the salon chair and play like Mommy- PRICELESS!
I wouldn't even let a 13 year old get them, let alone a 3 year old!
Would you let her put the Hannah Montana kind of colored hair wand (it looks like a mascara tube) in their hair? It washes out...
10:47- yes that is okay. That is just fun playing around. especially for halloween or something
A day late and a dollar short but oh well.
I wouldn't let my 3 year old get highlights, but being in the sun makes my 2 year old look like she has highlights! If people seriously think I would put highlights in her hair?!? Look how I'd be judged! My 10 year old wants them and I said no, but we did use sun-in a week ago and it looks a little lighter and is safe. I don't want anything in my children's hair that could damage it! Their hair is so fine and perfect, I want them to keep it that way as long as possible!
Post a Comment