This is an experiment to see how honest people can be if they don't have to identify themselves. Some silly, some deep, but all require honesty.
Thursday, April 9, 2009
With all the recent news about the fence bordering Mexico, what is your opinion on immigrants? Both legal and illegal. Do you think the US will ever be too populated?
25 comments:
Anonymous
said...
Bring 'em on. This is such a relatively new country and the people who object to large numbers of immigration forget how recently their own ancestors came over.
Or better still, open the doors for more refugees from Africa and whatnot. Have you ever sat with a true refugee and heard their stories? It's enough to make you want to start smuggling people in (not that I'm advocating that!).
Refugees, though, are generally quite poor and will increase taxpayer burden, not to mention the everyday ways that society would have to chip in. But it would be an excellent opportunity for us to learn to be the church!
I'm all for immigrants. However, I'm for immigrants going through the proper channels to become American citizens. I'm not for people coming to America and excepting US citizens/gov. to cater to them. If you want to come to America, great, welcome to our country; but do it legally.
Legally is fine with me. I wish they would learn our language - especially if they are working. It is frustrating to try to get help in a store when there is no communication. I realize the opportunity for doing that is marginal. More churches should be teaching English as part of our outreach.
Problems arise from both though. Unfortunately, our government deems it acceptable to allow them in and let those who are paying taxes carry the burden of paying the immigrants way. I think it would be a good idea if immigration of most people to the U.S. was put on hold so we could focus on our internal problems/domestic issues instead of adding to them. This does not mean I think every legal immigrant is a burden or problem.
I do think @ some point we could be 'too' populated but not in my life time. Maybe in 100-150 years.
I don't mind the immigrants that are already here. The only ones I know personally do work and support their families (here and back home) very well! I just wish they would learn the language, the same as if we traveled somewhere else.
I get so sick of my neighbors complaining about the immigrants taking all the jobs. That is not true. They (neighbors) just aren't willing to do the jobs for that amount of money. We've gotten lazy as a society and won't do dirty work unless it pays really well.
I do wonder about population and overpopulating. It seems everywhere you go, there are more and more people. People are also having more and more kids though too.
I am not for increasing taxpayers burden! I think they should be made responsible for themselves just like we are. Get insurance, jobs, etc..
legally and they need to learn the language, I think the person who had the idea for more churches to teach English had a great idea and shoud get it started at their church! I called wal-mart the other day, and I seriously could not make out a word the lady was speaking and had to ask her to give the phone to someone who I could understand.
As for the over-population topic. I don't think we need to fret over the world becoming too crowded.
I agree about legal immigrants, but as far as "learning our language", we don't have an official language. And unless we do, we can't require anyone to speak English as opposed to their native tongue.
Even though the citizenship process is detailed and a huge process, as a country we suck at following through with punishment for those who don't follow the rules. (Not just immigrants but everything.) Our judicial system is a joke. Why wouldn't people want to come here? They can try it and ride the wave until they get caught, get a slap on the wrist and sent home. And our tax dollars get to pay for their trip home.
The United States does not have an official language;[2] however, the majority of the population speaks English as a native language (some 82%). The variety of English spoken in the United States is known as American English; together with Canadian English it makes up the group of dialects known as North American English. 96% of the population of the U.S. speaks English "well" or "very well".[3] There have been several proposals to make English the national language in amendments to immigration reform bills.[4][5] None of these bills have become law with the amendment intact.
Spanish is the second most common language in the country. In predominantly Spanish-speaking Puerto Rico, both Spanish and English have the status of official language, and in New Mexico laws are published in both languages. Throughout the Southwestern United States, long-established Spanish-speaking communities coexist with large numbers of more recent Spanish-speaking immigrants. The United States holds the world's fifth largest Spanish-speaking population, outnumbered only by Mexico, Spain, Argentina, and Colombia. Although many new Latin American immigrants are less than fluent in English, second-generation Hispanic Americans commonly speak English fluently, while only about half still speak Spanish.
As I was scrolling down I was getting frustrated with the "learn the language". We have no official language because America is supposed to be a melting pot!
What are they going to do to find all of the illegal immigrants who are already here?
I have seen to many Permanent Resident Cards that have the SAME finger print and same markings.
And don't even get me started about how many people (of all races) DRIVE to my office to fill out an application then when I review the application and ask them if they have a valid drivers licence they tell me no. They then get in the car and DRIVE away!
DPS and Immigration and I would make a great team!
If they go through the right channels to come in legally, abide by the laws of this country, and don't look for government assistance without paying taxes, then I have no problem with them. If I decided to go live in their country, I would do the same.
I don't think it is okay to enter a country and expect financial assisistance and services that they are not contributing too in some way.
I think it is funny how many people, myself included sometimes, think those people are taking our money, yet we will turn around and say that the money is not ours, it's God's, or we don't lay up treasures on earth, etc.
That is a hypocrisy I have never thought of before now. Hmmm...
And yes, I am calling it hypocrisy, and lots of people who read this will have something to say about, "I just want people to follow the law of the land."
Well, good for you. Tell yourself that. But how much do you feel threatened/frustrated/disgusted by people who don't speak like you and who clog up your emergency rooms and crowd your children's schools? And does it all go back to you thinking that what is yours belongs to you? I would venture to say yes.
If we REALLY believe that our citizenship is in heaven, that should shake up our ideas about our country, our borders, our stuff.
I believe in higher walls, deeper moats, and a border patrol that ACTUALLY patrols. I believe in laws, no matter how young our country is, no matter how recently our ancestors crossed their own rivers.
I believe in roundups, in the same way that I believe in finding and prosecuting domestic and/or foreign terrorists. Find those who break the law and return them to wherever they came from.
I believe in legal immigration. I believe in jumping through hoops to become an American citizen -- yes, hoops: the higher, the smaller, the more on fire, the better. Hoops as moving targets, too.
I believe in refusing services to lawbreaking illegal immigrants. House on fire? Check their green card, or citizen IDs. No legal right to be here. FD drives away. Hospital visit? Valid citizen license or ID card, please. No ID, no care.
See, I compare it to my home. If I found some random volunteer person living in my house, I would not just shove over and let them stay to eat my food, take my medicine, spend my money, cut in line for services, etc. without permission. It's called breaking and entering. So what if living in my house gives them a better life? So what if they can now support themselves and their family back in the old country? So what if they work hard? THEY. DON'T. HAVE. PERMISSION. TO. BE. HERE.
So Border Patrol, Homeland Security, FBI, police, etc., get off your butts and start doing your jobs. Get these burdens on the system out. Unemployed people will take care of the jobs the illegals vacate. The trains will run on time, and the cabbage will sill get picked.
People, you can't always trust the ID's. The ID's all look the same and if they are fake, you don't know until you hold it right next to their friend's card that has the SAME FINGER PRINT.
Plus, the Government has never shown us what a real card should look like.....
Most of these questions are now submitted. Please feel free to submit your question and see how others feel. Email me here with a subject line of "Anonymous Truth"
25 comments:
Bring 'em on. This is such a relatively new country and the people who object to large numbers of immigration forget how recently their own ancestors came over.
Or better still, open the doors for more refugees from Africa and whatnot. Have you ever sat with a true refugee and heard their stories? It's enough to make you want to start smuggling people in (not that I'm advocating that!).
Refugees, though, are generally quite poor and will increase taxpayer burden, not to mention the everyday ways that society would have to chip in. But it would be an excellent opportunity for us to learn to be the church!
I'm all for immigrants. However, I'm for immigrants going through the proper channels to become American citizens. I'm not for people coming to America and excepting US citizens/gov. to cater to them. If you want to come to America, great, welcome to our country; but do it legally.
I agree with 6:49. If people want to come to America, the do it legally.
Legally is fine with me. I wish they would learn our language - especially if they are working. It is frustrating to try to get help in a store when there is no communication. I realize the opportunity for doing that is marginal. More churches should be teaching English as part of our outreach.
legally and they need to learn the language. This is why I could never live in a foriegn country. I am too lazy to learn a new language.
Legal is fine. Illegal is not.
Problems arise from both though. Unfortunately, our government deems it acceptable to allow them in and let those who are paying taxes carry the burden of paying the immigrants way. I think it would be a good idea if immigration of most people to the U.S. was put on hold so we could focus on our internal problems/domestic issues instead of adding to them. This does not mean I think every legal immigrant is a burden or problem.
I do think @ some point we could be 'too' populated but not in my life time. Maybe in 100-150 years.
The effect of putting a hold on immigration would be to increase illegal immigration, I'm thinking.
I don't mind the immigrants that are already here. The only ones I know personally do work and support their families (here and back home) very well! I just wish they would learn the language, the same as if we traveled somewhere else.
I get so sick of my neighbors complaining about the immigrants taking all the jobs. That is not true. They (neighbors) just aren't willing to do the jobs for that amount of money. We've gotten lazy as a society and won't do dirty work unless it pays really well.
I do wonder about population and overpopulating. It seems everywhere you go, there are more and more people. People are also having more and more kids though too.
I am not for increasing taxpayers burden! I think they should be made responsible for themselves just like we are. Get insurance, jobs, etc..
legally and they need to learn the language, I think the person who had the idea for more churches to teach English had a great idea and shoud get it started at their church! I called wal-mart the other day, and I seriously could not make out a word the lady was speaking and had to ask her to give the phone to someone who I could understand.
As for the over-population topic. I don't think we need to fret over the world becoming too crowded.
I agree about legal immigrants, but as far as "learning our language", we don't have an official language.
And unless we do, we can't require anyone to speak English as opposed to their native tongue.
Spineless Doormat = United States
Even though the citizenship process is detailed and a huge process, as a country we suck at following through with punishment for those who don't follow the rules. (Not just immigrants but everything.) Our judicial system is a joke. Why wouldn't people want to come here? They can try it and ride the wave until they get caught, get a slap on the wrist and sent home. And our tax dollars get to pay for their trip home.
We don't have an official language? United States language is English!?! Learn it!
Wikipedia says:
The United States does not have an official language;[2] however, the majority of the population speaks English as a native language (some 82%). The variety of English spoken in the United States is known as American English; together with Canadian English it makes up the group of dialects known as North American English. 96% of the population of the U.S. speaks English "well" or "very well".[3] There have been several proposals to make English the national language in amendments to immigration reform bills.[4][5] None of these bills have become law with the amendment intact.
Spanish is the second most common language in the country. In predominantly Spanish-speaking Puerto Rico, both Spanish and English have the status of official language, and in New Mexico laws are published in both languages. Throughout the Southwestern United States, long-established Spanish-speaking communities coexist with large numbers of more recent Spanish-speaking immigrants. The United States holds the world's fifth largest Spanish-speaking population, outnumbered only by Mexico, Spain, Argentina, and Colombia. Although many new Latin American immigrants are less than fluent in English, second-generation Hispanic Americans commonly speak English fluently, while only about half still speak Spanish.
As I was scrolling down I was getting frustrated with the "learn the language". We have no official language because America is supposed to be a melting pot!
Thanks for putting the Wikipedia on here!
I am all for leagal immigration.
What are they going to do to find all of the illegal immigrants who are already here?
I have seen to many Permanent Resident Cards that have the SAME finger print and same markings.
And don't even get me started about how many people (of all races) DRIVE to my office to fill out an application then when I review the application and ask them if they have a valid drivers licence they tell me no. They then get in the car and DRIVE away!
DPS and Immigration and I would make a great team!
Since Jesus said "love the foreigners and aliens" I am all for doing just that.
I'm definitely all okay with legal immigrants. (Why would someone not?)
As far as illegal immigrants I have mixed feelings. Part of me things they should be given a chance to become a legal citizen.
I also think that the children of illegal aliens should be treated differently that the aliens themselves.
If they go through the right channels to come in legally, abide by the laws of this country, and don't look for government assistance without paying taxes, then I have no problem with them. If I decided to go live in their country, I would do the same.
I don't think it is okay to enter a country and expect financial assisistance and services that they are not contributing too in some way.
I think it is funny how many people, myself included sometimes, think those people are taking our money, yet we will turn around and say that the money is not ours, it's God's, or we don't lay up treasures on earth, etc.
That is a hypocrisy I have never thought of before now. Hmmm...
And yes, I am calling it hypocrisy, and lots of people who read this will have something to say about, "I just want people to follow the law of the land."
Well, good for you. Tell yourself that. But how much do you feel threatened/frustrated/disgusted by people who don't speak like you and who clog up your emergency rooms and crowd your children's schools? And does it all go back to you thinking that what is yours belongs to you? I would venture to say yes.
If we REALLY believe that our citizenship is in heaven, that should shake up our ideas about our country, our borders, our stuff.
I believe in higher walls, deeper moats, and a border patrol that ACTUALLY patrols. I believe in laws, no matter how young our country is, no matter how recently our ancestors crossed their own rivers.
I believe in roundups, in the same way that I believe in finding and prosecuting domestic and/or foreign terrorists. Find those who break the law and return them to wherever they came from.
I believe in legal immigration. I believe in jumping through hoops to become an American citizen -- yes, hoops: the higher, the smaller, the more on fire, the better. Hoops as moving targets, too.
I believe in refusing services to lawbreaking illegal immigrants. House on fire? Check their green card, or citizen IDs. No legal right to be here. FD drives away. Hospital visit? Valid citizen license or ID card, please. No ID, no care.
See, I compare it to my home. If I found some random volunteer person living in my house, I would not just shove over and let them stay to eat my food, take my medicine, spend my money, cut in line for services, etc. without permission. It's called breaking and entering. So what if living in my house gives them a better life? So what if they can now support themselves and their family back in the old country? So what if they work hard? THEY. DON'T. HAVE. PERMISSION. TO. BE. HERE.
So Border Patrol, Homeland Security, FBI, police, etc., get off your butts and start doing your jobs. Get these burdens on the system out. Unemployed people will take care of the jobs the illegals vacate. The trains will run on time, and the cabbage will sill get picked.
love God, love your neighbor. period.
4:51 I love it!! Exactly what I would say!!
People, you can't always trust the ID's. The ID's all look the same and if they are fake, you don't know until you hold it right next to their friend's card that has the SAME FINGER PRINT.
Plus, the Government has never shown us what a real card should look like.....
11:26 you can't pick and choose what you write from a webpage!
It says we don't have an official language on a FEDERAL LEVEL! We do have English as the official language in at least 26 states!!
Also, when immigrants come to America they are required to pass an English test (write and speak)in english.
I am going to write my congressman and push for English to become our Official Language. Thanks for motivating me!
Is it possible to agree with both3:33 and 4:51. I'm torn
Post a Comment