This is an experiment to see how honest people can be if they don't have to identify themselves. Some silly, some deep, but all require honesty.
Thursday, April 16, 2009
Do you believe in showing off what you have worked hard for or do you think we should always live modestly no matter how much money we make? Ex: Drive nice cars, live in nicest neighborhoods, nice clothing, etc..
29 comments:
Anonymous
said...
I think there is a difference between showing off and being proud of what you can afford to do. I don't like to have money flaunted in my face but if I have some friends that can afford very nice things, and I do, then I don't care. If you can afford the nice car, the big house and the latest trendy clothes then do it. My husband and I have worked very hard to get to where we are today and if that means buying nice things then that is what we are going to do.
My husband and I have worked SO hard for what we have. We have a nice house and nice (not new) cars. Our kids wear regular clothes, some from Target and some from Gap, but you couldn't pick them out of a crowd! Our house is in the country so no one sees it.
I believe you should blend in and not be showy. I hate when you can pick out a doctors kid or some rich families kids, and you can! I have 3 friends that are pharmacists and one is a vet and you couldn't pick them out of a crowd. I love that! We all look normal and not stuck up.
So, I guess I think you should live modestly. I hope being a modest parent helps my children to become modest adults that are open minded and don't pay attention to materialistic stuff. In the end it's not the material things you have that count.
I am a big believer of living modestly. But at the same time I think it's ok to splurge every once in awhile.
I have worked hard for everything I have, and understand wanting to have nice things. I try to keep in the back of my head, that all my material things can be taken away from me. You never know what's in store for you.
I try to blend in and just be thankful for my blessings.
I believe that life is so much more important than stuff! I think a safe car & house and adequate clothes are important, but for them to be really expensive is wasteful. I think that money is much better used helping others or building good memories with family & friends rather than buying stuff.
I hope to work hard to build a life that honors God and my family, not for stuff that others can see.
One underlying factor in the current economic crisis is the deceitfulness of riches. As a nation we have replaced humility with arrogance and modesty with gaudiness. We’ve paved over fertile farm land to build 8000sq ft McMansions for two people. Charitable agencies have to beg while we drive 4 ton vehicles that get 8 mpg.
I dont think we can presume to know what is in the heart of someone who drives a nice car or lives in a nice big brand new home. However, I am not the flashy showy kind of person to buy a home that is too big for us. Expensive things require expensive repairs and upkeep. I learned that from Dave Ramsey :)
It drives me crazy when 10 year olds have EVERYTHING they could ever want. They end up being 20 years old with major credit card debt. Or parents that are still bailing them out. We should live modest and not stand out by what we have but who we are- Christian deeds. I've always said If I came across a ton of money. I don't want a house bigger than 3,000 sqft. or more expensive than around 300k. I may never even get there but if we ever do, I wont go beyond that. What is the point? A nice car is another thing because many times they are safer. But I wouldn't be one that trades in every year.
Even if you worked SOOOOOOO hard for what you have, you should be helping others. Serving Christ more. If you have a million dollar home with 10 rooms. I pray they are being filled with foster children who need good homes.
I think Oprah does so much to help people but what would that say to America if she only had one house and it was just enough room to fit her in it! Gave even more money to homeless starving kids in Africa.
I think people with showy over the top things make others who don't have those things covet. You become a stumbling block for people. Not that you are a terrible person. Just think about it!
Americans....thats right buy your big material things and pay no reguard to our calling to help those who need it. Where are you taking all of your material things? How long will they last?
I better take pride in nothing but Jesus. That's the goal.
But my humanity, my fleshly (and fleshy I might add) self LOVES stuff. That is our society. Unless we give up all media that comes with advertising, we are bombarded by ungodly messages everday about how what we have is not good enough, new enough, not expressing us enough, I don't know.
And we have to buy stuff to keep our economy strong, so I think the key is our focus, our hearts.
It's not really about what you have but what you do with it. Are you using your house, car, etc. to serve others? Are you practicing hospitality? Do you take care of what you have and thereby practice responsibility. To those who have been given much, much is expected. It's important to remember that what we have isn't ours to begin with, even if "we" bought it.
12:40 It's not a greed question. You can have money, you can have nice things, big fancy house and not be greedy! If you are doing it for you, and not for what people are going to think, it's not greed! It's not the best in my opinion, but it's not greed.
12:40 and 12:55, the comment about driving an H3. The H3's carry 5 people and are small! It's not the H1 you are thinking of! Double check your comments. I wish I had an H1 original! I would love to feel totally safe and never worry about a door ding ;) I wish they would stop making these mini roller skate cars and start making safer medium sized vehicles! There is no way that a teeny tiny car can be safe for a family!
If you are doing things for YOU, that IS greed. I think all Christians should live modestly. What about the teachings of Jesus? He said that those who have two coats should give to him who has none, and he who has food should do the same. I think that means we shouldn't have more than what we really need. Acts says that the early Christians sold everything they had and distributed to each one according to need. Sounds like redistribution to me. I am not saying the government should take our money and redistribute it, because that would give the glory to government, not God. But I think that if all Christians gave their EXCESS to those who were in need, there would be a lot less poverty in the world. Christians should not live according to the same consumer culture that the world does. That's my two cents.
9:00am No I do not believe it is greed. In no shape or form. I make a lot of money. We have a nice house, we built it ourselves and it didn't cost a fortune, and it is energy efficient. I drive a nice car, it is safer than a crapper and gets good gas mileage! We wear nicer clothes bc they are better quality and last longer. To say I am being greedy bc I do this for my family is not right. If I were doing this so people could see it and rub it in poor people's faces, yes that would be greedy! What is wrong with people making their own way. I have helped many people get back on their feet and guess what, they always go back! So, I decided to give more money to the church and let them help people with it. I'm sorry if you don't agree. It's not like I'm showing off, I have tons of friends from every background and class. They don't feel like I'm being greedy! I don't have a greedy bone in my body!!
Funny how everyone is SO quick to judge, despite knowing nothing about them or their lives!!!
I think we need to be a little more open minded and ask why someone thinks the way they do instead of attacking them or throwing a Bible in their face. Wow! What a way to lead others to Jesus?!?
9:00am here. I apologize, I didn't not mean to be judgemental or "throw a Bible in someone's face", but if we are Christians we should care what the Bible says, and especially the things Jesus says. I cannot necessarily look at what someone is wearing and know right away what is or isn't in thier heart. And I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with wanting to have quality things that are going to last or building your own home. I enjoy having things that make life more comfortable too. I just wish that as Christians we would all step back (myself included) sometimes and think about how Jesus lived and how He would feel about us working so hard to acquire "better" stuff. If we put half the effort into sharing God's love and furthering His kingdom that we do into working to acquire the stuff we "need", imagine what we could accomplish for God?? I guess it's just something that I feel passionately about. I really did not mean to sound harsh or judgemental. We each have to work out our own salvation. God bless you.
I don't care what number the Hummer is, it's ridiculous. And get off the Obama socialism rant, It's old. Climb out of the bunker kids, it's all going to be ok.
I don't think anyone was being very judgmental here. Maybe sarcastic but here's my take.
I agree with 9:00am. I also agree with 10:40. You can have a nice car, good quality clothes (however kids don't need good quality. They outgrow it or stain it!), nice house, etc. But I think you can have too much. You may not be greedy and may even be a great person. We will never know your heart but if you get your 16 year old child a brand new car and iphone, you aren't teaching them the value of money and needing to work and earn what you get along with not being caught up in material things. I grew up with a very rich girl who dressed just like everyone else. She would go and give you 5 bucks for lunch if she saw you didn't have any or forgot your lunch money. Her parents funded sports teams and school dances and never got caught up in looking flashy or keeping up with every latest trend or electronic.
If you have a mansion just so you can have a game room, scrapbook room, in home gym, movie theater, etc. It's a bit showy. You'd have to really be hospitable to several people in order for that to be deemed worth it in my eyes. No one should have to be forced to live in a 1500 sqft home just because that would be modest. If you would be more organized and comfortable in a bigger house and you can afford it. Do it. But there is such a thing as excessive even in seemingly amazing Godly people.
10:40 here. We do the things you list. We sponsor soccer teams, softball and even our tball team! We make alot of money but we really do try to pass it along. I think our kids see that and will be open minded bc of it. Some of their best friends are really poor. We do not judge them bc of that! Just keep an open mind when you see someone driving a nice car or pulling into a nice house. You never know, they may have funded your new school library or something. My kids won't be driving a brand new car when they turn 16 but they will be driving something dependable and safe!
Ya, I'm not pro Obama, but I am sick of the snide remarks about him too.
Hummer's another story. I don't see anything wrong with them, they are a little big but that's about it. They get the same gas mileage as a Yukon.
I just try not to judge a book by it's cover, you never know the story behind it! I've been on the other side of it so many times and do not like being judged. But, like I tell others: My friends know me and they know who I am.
10:40 again. We also sponsor local stock races. Especially when they do charity runs, etc.. Well, we intend on our kids 'building' their first car or truck. I think when they put so much work into it, they will treat it with respect! I think that makes a big difference too. Ya they will work to pay for parts, etc, but in the end they will have a nice ride. I hope people don't judge them wrongly for it!
I hope that they grow up and are sucessful so they can help others!
I am surprised how judgemental this has become. I find it interesting that there are different things people have that have been determined as "too much" or "flashy" ( hint: hummer or house with speciality rooms). The truth is that almost all of us who live in America are rich for the worlds standards. If you have a house for just your intermediate family a car and a closet full of clothes and toys for yourself and your children you are probably being judged by someone who lives somewhere else as being "too flashy". And most of us have much more then that. As always I think we need to check our hearts for all our motivations.
3:44 here. 10:40...awesome! You are the rich folk I like (I actually like everyone!) Anyway, I don't judge people who have mansions and assume they are showy. I think I was misunderstood (or i'm not clear enough!) Like I said, if you are being hospitable and serving others, and doing the lords work with it then thats great! If you are teaching your kids and they appreciate what they have and they earn it, then that is great. I wouldn't assume or judge anything though because I wouldn't know what they are doing. I'm just stating my true feelings about it. If I had a good friend who I felt had excessive things and wasn't sharing them or serving with them, I'd encouarge her too (because not doing that I feel is wrong). Thats all. Doesn't mean anytime I'm invited to a nice house I automatically think "oh they are showy" I actually think "wow. I want this. I hope they are giving people."
With cars, If I knew you were getting a brand new one every year just to have a brand new car...that would HAVE to be for show. Right? There are also probably cars in hollywood that would be purely for show as well. Anything else is all good (even hummers. You could probably live through a train wreck in that)
Ooo. I think I've stated this before (or maybe on my blog). I want to be amish for a while! Well amish with electricity! I think stuff consumes too much time and energy. I'd like no tv, no computer, less car usage and more bike riding and walks. Conversate and play more games with family. Back to the "good ole days"!
3:44, 10:40 here. I bet we could be good friends! I totally agree with what you are saying. I hate when people don't give or help others!! I still need to step back and make sure we are keeping God first in our lives though. It would be so easy to just head off in the wrong direction! Thanks...
Most of these questions are now submitted. Please feel free to submit your question and see how others feel. Email me here with a subject line of "Anonymous Truth"
29 comments:
I think there is a difference between showing off and being proud of what you can afford to do. I don't like to have money flaunted in my face but if I have some friends that can afford very nice things, and I do, then I don't care. If you can afford the nice car, the big house and the latest trendy clothes then do it. My husband and I have worked very hard to get to where we are today and if that means buying nice things then that is what we are going to do.
My husband and I have worked SO hard for what we have. We have a nice house and nice (not new) cars. Our kids wear regular clothes, some from Target and some from Gap, but you couldn't pick them out of a crowd! Our house is in the country so no one sees it.
I believe you should blend in and not be showy. I hate when you can pick out a doctors kid or some rich families kids, and you can! I have 3 friends that are pharmacists and one is a vet and you couldn't pick them out of a crowd. I love that! We all look normal and not stuck up.
So, I guess I think you should live modestly. I hope being a modest parent helps my children to become modest adults that are open minded and don't pay attention to materialistic stuff. In the end it's not the material things you have that count.
Mosey
I am a big believer of living modestly. But at the same time I think it's ok to splurge every once in awhile.
I have worked hard for everything I have, and understand wanting to have nice things. I try to keep in the back of my head, that all my material things can be taken away from me. You never know what's in store for you.
I try to blend in and just be thankful for my blessings.
I believe that life is so much more important than stuff! I think a safe car & house and adequate clothes are important, but for them to be really expensive is wasteful. I think that money is much better used helping others or building good memories with family & friends rather than buying stuff.
I hope to work hard to build a life that honors God and my family, not for stuff that others can see.
One underlying factor in the current economic crisis is the deceitfulness of riches. As a nation we have replaced humility with arrogance and modesty with gaudiness. We’ve paved over fertile farm land to build 8000sq ft McMansions for two people. Charitable agencies have to beg while we drive 4 ton vehicles that get 8 mpg.
I dont think we can presume to know what is in the heart of someone who drives a nice car or lives in a nice big brand new home. However, I am not the flashy showy kind of person to buy a home that is too big for us. Expensive things require expensive repairs and upkeep. I learned that from Dave Ramsey :)
It drives me crazy when 10 year olds have EVERYTHING they could ever want. They end up being 20 years old with major credit card debt. Or parents that are still bailing them out. We should live modest and not stand out by what we have but who we are- Christian deeds. I've always said If I came across a ton of money. I don't want a house bigger than 3,000 sqft. or more expensive than around 300k. I may never even get there but if we ever do, I wont go beyond that. What is the point? A nice car is another thing because many times they are safer. But I wouldn't be one that trades in every year.
Even if you worked SOOOOOOO hard for what you have, you should be helping others. Serving Christ more. If you have a million dollar home with 10 rooms. I pray they are being filled with foster children who need good homes.
I think Oprah does so much to help people but what would that say to America if she only had one house and it was just enough room to fit her in it! Gave even more money to homeless starving kids in Africa.
I think people with showy over the top things make others who don't have those things covet. You become a stumbling block for people. Not that you are a terrible person. Just think about it!
Is anyone really going to admit they are greedy and flashy?
No one does that.
But if your drive a H3, you are.
Ha, agreed on the H3. Unless you are in Iraq or Afghanistan, you don't need a Hummer.
Americans....thats right buy your big material things and pay no reguard to our calling to help those who need it. Where are you taking all of your material things? How long will they last?
I better take pride in nothing but Jesus. That's the goal.
But my humanity, my fleshly (and fleshy I might add) self LOVES stuff. That is our society. Unless we give up all media that comes with advertising, we are bombarded by ungodly messages everday about how what we have is not good enough, new enough, not expressing us enough, I don't know.
And we have to buy stuff to keep our economy strong, so I think the key is our focus, our hearts.
It's not really about what you have but what you do with it. Are you using your house, car, etc. to serve others? Are you practicing hospitality? Do you take care of what you have and thereby practice responsibility. To those who have been given much, much is expected. It's important to remember that what we have isn't ours to begin with, even if "we" bought it.
I think that the wise live modestly no matter their financial situation.
Materialism drives me nuts. Things just aren't important. Early Christians sold what they had to help others and to promote God's work.
11:09 I agree! You do become a stumbling block. It's sad, but true!
12:40 It's not a greed question. You can have money, you can have nice things, big fancy house and not be greedy! If you are doing it for you, and not for what people are going to think, it's not greed! It's not the best in my opinion, but it's not greed.
12:40 and 12:55, the comment about driving an H3. The H3's carry 5 people and are small! It's not the H1 you are thinking of! Double check your comments. I wish I had an H1 original! I would love to feel totally safe and never worry about a door ding ;) I wish they would stop making these mini roller skate cars and start making safer medium sized vehicles! There is no way that a teeny tiny car can be safe for a family!
My H3 comment had nothing to do with the size of the vehicle and everything to do with the size of the price tag.
You don't need that car if you live in the Midwest, 1, 2 OR 3!!!!
If you are doing things for YOU, that IS greed. I think all Christians should live modestly. What about the teachings of Jesus? He said that those who have two coats should give to him who has none, and he who has food should do the same. I think that means we shouldn't have more than what we really need. Acts says that the early Christians sold everything they had and distributed to each one according to need. Sounds like redistribution to me. I am not saying the government should take our money and redistribute it, because that would give the glory to government, not God. But I think that if all Christians gave their EXCESS to those who were in need, there would be a lot less poverty in the world. Christians should not live according to the same consumer culture that the world does. That's my two cents.
9:00am No I do not believe it is greed. In no shape or form. I make a lot of money. We have a nice house, we built it ourselves and it didn't cost a fortune, and it is energy efficient. I drive a nice car, it is safer than a crapper and gets good gas mileage! We wear nicer clothes bc they are better quality and last longer. To say I am being greedy bc I do this for my family is not right. If I were doing this so people could see it and rub it in poor people's faces, yes that would be greedy! What is wrong with people making their own way. I have helped many people get back on their feet and guess what, they always go back! So, I decided to give more money to the church and let them help people with it. I'm sorry if you don't agree. It's not like I'm showing off, I have tons of friends from every background and class. They don't feel like I'm being greedy! I don't have a greedy bone in my body!!
Funny how everyone is SO quick to judge, despite knowing nothing about them or their lives!!!
I think we need to be a little more open minded and ask why someone thinks the way they do instead of attacking them or throwing a Bible in their face. Wow! What a way to lead others to Jesus?!?
Mosey
9:00am here. I apologize, I didn't not mean to be judgemental or "throw a Bible in someone's face", but if we are Christians we should care what the Bible says, and especially the things Jesus says. I cannot necessarily look at what someone is wearing and know right away what is or isn't in thier heart. And I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with wanting to have quality things that are going to last or building your own home. I enjoy having things that make life more comfortable too. I just wish that as Christians we would all step back (myself included) sometimes and think about how Jesus lived and how He would feel about us working so hard to acquire "better" stuff. If we put half the effort into sharing God's love and furthering His kingdom that we do into working to acquire the stuff we "need", imagine what we could accomplish for God?? I guess it's just something that I feel passionately about. I really did not mean to sound harsh or judgemental. We each have to work out our own salvation. God bless you.
Remember, having money is not sinful. It's what you do with it.
Plus, after Obama is president, will anyone have any money left?
Wait, what?
I don't care what number the Hummer is, it's ridiculous. And get off the Obama socialism rant, It's old. Climb out of the bunker kids, it's all going to be ok.
I don't think anyone was being very judgmental here. Maybe sarcastic but here's my take.
I agree with 9:00am. I also agree with 10:40. You can have a nice car, good quality clothes (however kids don't need good quality. They outgrow it or stain it!), nice house, etc. But I think you can have too much. You may not be greedy and may even be a great person. We will never know your heart but if you get your 16 year old child a brand new car and iphone, you aren't teaching them the value of money and needing to work and earn what you get along with not being caught up in material things. I grew up with a very rich girl who dressed just like everyone else. She would go and give you 5 bucks for lunch if she saw you didn't have any or forgot your lunch money. Her parents funded sports teams and school dances and never got caught up in looking flashy or keeping up with every latest trend or electronic.
If you have a mansion just so you can have a game room, scrapbook room, in home gym, movie theater, etc. It's a bit showy. You'd have to really be hospitable to several people in order for that to be deemed worth it in my eyes. No one should have to be forced to live in a 1500 sqft home just because that would be modest. If you would be more organized and comfortable in a bigger house and you can afford it. Do it. But there is such a thing as excessive even in seemingly amazing Godly people.
10:40 here. We do the things you list. We sponsor soccer teams, softball and even our tball team! We make alot of money but we really do try to pass it along. I think our kids see that and will be open minded bc of it. Some of their best friends are really poor. We do not judge them bc of that! Just keep an open mind when you see someone driving a nice car or pulling into a nice house. You never know, they may have funded your new school library or something. My kids won't be driving a brand new car when they turn 16 but they will be driving something dependable and safe!
Ya, I'm not pro Obama, but I am sick of the snide remarks about him too.
Hummer's another story. I don't see anything wrong with them, they are a little big but that's about it. They get the same gas mileage as a Yukon.
I just try not to judge a book by it's cover, you never know the story behind it! I've been on the other side of it so many times and do not like being judged. But, like I tell others: My friends know me and they know who I am.
10:40 again. We also sponsor local stock races. Especially when they do charity runs, etc.. Well, we intend on our kids 'building' their first car or truck. I think when they put so much work into it, they will treat it with respect! I think that makes a big difference too. Ya they will work to pay for parts, etc, but in the end they will have a nice ride. I hope people don't judge them wrongly for it!
I hope that they grow up and are sucessful so they can help others!
I am surprised how judgemental this has become. I find it interesting that there are different things people have that have been determined as "too much" or "flashy" ( hint: hummer or house with speciality rooms). The truth is that almost all of us who live in America are rich for the worlds standards. If you have a house for just your intermediate family a car and a closet full of clothes and toys for yourself and your children you are probably being judged by someone who lives somewhere else as being "too flashy". And most of us have much more then that. As always I think we need to check our hearts for all our motivations.
3:44 here. 10:40...awesome! You are the rich folk I like (I actually like everyone!) Anyway, I don't judge people who have mansions and assume they are showy. I think I was misunderstood (or i'm not clear enough!) Like I said, if you are being hospitable and serving others, and doing the lords work with it then thats great! If you are teaching your kids and they appreciate what they have and they earn it, then that is great. I wouldn't assume or judge anything though because I wouldn't know what they are doing. I'm just stating my true feelings about it. If I had a good friend who I felt had excessive things and wasn't sharing them or serving with them, I'd encouarge her too (because not doing that I feel is wrong). Thats all. Doesn't mean anytime I'm invited to a nice house I automatically think "oh they are showy" I actually think "wow. I want this. I hope they are giving people."
With cars, If I knew you were getting a brand new one every year just to have a brand new car...that would HAVE to be for show. Right? There are also probably cars in hollywood that would be purely for show as well. Anything else is all good (even hummers. You could probably live through a train wreck in that)
Ooo. I think I've stated this before (or maybe on my blog). I want to be amish for a while! Well amish with electricity! I think stuff consumes too much time and energy. I'd like no tv, no computer, less car usage and more bike riding and walks. Conversate and play more games with family. Back to the "good ole days"!
3:44, 10:40 here. I bet we could be good friends! I totally agree with what you are saying. I hate when people don't give or help others!! I still need to step back and make sure we are keeping God first in our lives though. It would be so easy to just head off in the wrong direction! Thanks...
Post a Comment