Wednesday, April 8, 2009

What's Worse Wednesday

Is it worse to be a judgmental hypocrite or a spineless doormat?

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

hypocrite for sure

Anonymous said...

Being a judgmental hypocrite by far is worse.

Anonymous said...

. . . what they said!

Anonymous said...

i'd rather be a doormat than a hypocrite.

Anonymous said...

A hypocrite would be much worse!

Anonymous said...

"But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death."
Revelation 21:8

Maybe judgmental hypocrites are a kind of liar, but that seems to be a stretch. Does Jesus denounce hypocrites? Absolutely.
But the cowardly get first mention in this Lake-o-Fire roll call.

I am assuming that spineless doormat here equals coward. Other reads?

Anonymous said...

well there is always hope for all of us, and i bet we have all been some of both before. :(

Anonymous said...

Judgmental hypocrite. Sadly, these kind of people give Christians a bad name. It is the opposite of how we should be.

Anonymous said...

I do agree with 8:29, but I also think being a good Christian is having a tiny bit of each! Know when to be a doormat and when to judge though.

Mosey

Anonymous said...

Both are bad choices, but I would much rather be a doormat than a judgmental hypocrite.

Anonymous said...

To me, doormat and coward are not the same. Not to say your wrong. I would agree with your statements, if I felt they were totally the same.

A coward is one who shows disgraceful fear or timidity. Disgraceful being key word. People who pretended to not know Christ were cowards.

Spineless doormat is someone lacking strength of character. Not necessarily being cowardly about Christ or Christian living (which I think is what the bible is talking about). They can just be someone who always lets their friend pick the place to eat without feeling confident enough to voice their opinions at times.

I appreciate your thoughts...got me thinking!

Anonymous said...

I agree with 11:32

Anonymous said...

what if you're a hypocritical doormat????

Anonymous said...

I agree with 8:29. Spineless=cowardly.

The term dorrmat does connote being a victim (others are wiping their feet on you), but it is the spineless part that is bad.

Really bad.

And not deciding where you should all go for dinner does not make you spineless in this sense. To me.

Anonymous said...

yeah, but hypocrisy was what killed Jesus, and what God hates too. it is prideful ambition and hatred and bigotry. spineless doormat probably is cowardly, oh i don't know...not quite as bad as the sadducees an pharisees, in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

hey, 3:36 -- Hypocrisy is what got the pharisees and scribes called whitewashed tombs -- all nice on the outside but smelly and manky on the inside, like a decaying body. Scripture seems to indicate some hope for hypocrites -- Jesus definitely called for change in the life of the hypocrites of his day, and welcomed conversation with pharisees who were honestly seeking answers.

However, the place of cowardly doormats is in the lake of fire with liars and idolaters. Not quite such a rosy outlook for them.

So, all in all, I think i'd rather be a hypocrite, since that isn't punished so harshly.

Anonymous said...

you guys should check out the growing posts from a gew days ago... getting interesting again

I'm just saying.

--Po

Anonymous said...

It seems like everyone agrees with what judgmental hypocrite means! Spineless doormat is up in the air. Spineless seems harsh like the word coward but doormat is definitely a passive, taken avantage of, can't stand up for themselves, kinda word. I would be interested to know what these words actually were before translated into English and how strong of words they were in the bible. Like love (agape, eros, etc).

I can't imagine coward being anything close to doormat. Like from someone above, coward and hypocrites are bad when used to deny Christ or pretend you are for Christ but do otherwise. Also the way you judge people, you will be judged. I don't want to be judgemental at all!!!

I'm not sure doormat is in the bible...but if it is, I can't see it being as "sinful".

Anonymous said...

all i know is that i am a doormat spiritually: only good enough for the bottoms of people's dirty shoes.

and yet the wonder of it all is that Jesus's blood makes me worthwhile. Amazing.

and i pray to NEVER be spineless.

Anonymous said...

I abhor the fact that you all can choose between two characteristics equal in their depravity. However, if you had a gun to my head, I suppose I would choose...well...what do you think I should choose?

Anonymous said...

the gun

Anonymous said...

Ha, Ha! That's hillarious!

Anonymous said...

I am pretty sure doormat, like many of the other things we like to discuss here, is in the apocryphal book of 2 Opinions.

Love you all!