Friday, April 17, 2009

Reader Rally

First one here, post your question

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is your husband the head of your household, or are you?

Anonymous said...

He is. I defer to him on most decisions, even when I disagree, but I have to make the conscious choice to follow him. He is laid back in nature and would easily allow me to lead if I did.

Anonymous said...

That is a tough one. We share the decision making, sometimes we do what I want and sometimes we do what he wants. Some issues are more important to him and vice versa. For us, we are pretty equal.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I take over. I try not to. That is something that I am personally working on.

I often cross the fine line between being his helpmate and taking over.

Anonymous said...

My husband is pretty easy going as well, and I do not want to be the head of the household, that is his role. Since he is easy going, sometimes I find myself taking charge, which I do not want to do. If your husband is easy going, how do you help your husband be the head? Please give suggestions!

Anonymous said...

8:43, I am in the same situation!!

Our troubles seem to be in church a lot. I want him to speak up more about things, but he never does. He's so easy about things. Drives me nuts sometimes.

I love him to death, but he's 'slow' in ways. Witty comments or fun jokes don't come rolling off his tongue as easy as mine. So, I always look like I'm trying take charge. I'm not, but sometimes if I don't speak up, nothing's going to get solved or heard.

I tell him something funny or witty and he usually jumps in and says it next time. I get mad bc he's supposed to be in charge and take the lead. Instead I'm standing behind him trying so hard to hold my tongue when he doesn't speak up! I feel like I am a great Help Mate, but he needs a leader and that's not right.

Anonymous said...

I think she thinks I am. So, according to Descartes; I am!

Anonymous said...

I think society has caused a lot of men to "wimp out" in their role as the head of the household. The feminazis have battered men them over the head and I can't blame them that they are fearful to take the lead. Seriously, if anyone has anyone suggestions how to make our husbands feel more "manly" and the "head of the house", please help and tell us how you do it!

Anonymous said...

I wish he was. I would love for him to take the lead. It makes me feel unsettled. I see families with strong husbands as leaders and I am a little envious.

Anonymous said...

He makes the money, he pays the bills, etc. But I am able to look into all our accounts and see what goes on. We are both involved in our budget and talks about how we are doing on our budget. If we want to buy something outside of using our "fun money", we have to talk about it first (house furnishings, landscaping, etc).

If we want something and the other doesnt, we both listen. We kind of have a scale we use. I am a 10 on not having a PS3 in the house. It is very important and this is why... He will say well I'm like an 8 on wanting it now and here's why... Whoever is more passionate about it "wins" or we kinda meet in the middle and/or make restrictions!

I think its wrong to have one person that "wears the pants" back to the spineless doormat...

When you marry, you become one. Equals with different jobs but still very much equals and both deserve to be heard and make decisions.

Anonymous said...

He is, but we make most decisions together. We discuss things, and then the final decision is left up to him. If he doesn't feel strongly about something,then he will often tell me that the decision is mine.

Anonymous said...

Everyone who wants their husband to take lead and be the head of the household, what are you talking about specifically?

I like being a partner. I don't want him feeling like he owns everything.

I'd love it if my husband took more of a leadership role in the church or became more of a spiritual leader at home but other than that I want to be just as much of a leader/decision maker in my family as he.

Anonymous said...

I too wish my husband was more of a spiritual leader in our home. He has no problem being the leader when it comes to money, decisions, etc, but I have expressed to him several times that I would like him to iniate prayer time/bible study time in our home, but he has yet to take me seriously on that. I think if he was a more spiritual person, and invested more in that part of our life, it would be much easier for me to submit to him on other matters, although I know I have a responsibility to submit to him anyway.

Anonymous said...

Jesus is the head of our household.

I can't believe nobody else got the Sunday School answer.

Anonymous said...

Ephesians 5:22-33

Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church—for we are members of his body. "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh." This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

Anonymous said...

I don't think we have a head. We work together! God has blessed us with a relationship where we are able to be concerned for one another and work things out together.

Anonymous said...

I've never understood what that whole submit to your husband verse in the bible means. I think we should respect them. I think we should cling to them and detach somewhat from our parents. But I will never just do whatever he wants to do without being involved, respected, and listened to as well. If he wants to buy a motorcycle just to play with on the weekends while we have bills to pay. Sorry ain't submitting!

Anonymous said...

I am the HoH. I am the husband and spiritual leader. I find it hard sometimes to lead spiritually but have made a conscious decision to do so. If your husband is not 'spiritual' enough maybe he isn't as interested in JC as you thought when you got married. I am interested in spirituality and it is a struggle for me. I can't imagine how hard it would be for someone who's not. There may be underlying issues at hand in your marriage that could be holding him back as well (unhappiness, doubt, the feeling of being nagged about it all the time, etc.). I don't state this to discourage you from encouraging your spouse to be more spiritual. They are just possibilities.

That being said I expect her to have an interest in our lives as a whole and take part in making important decisions. I don't do this because I've fallen prey to the 'Feminazis regime' but because it is important for me to know and continually believe that she is interested in what's going on in our family.

Eph 5:22-ff
Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

This doesn't mean I can do whatever I want and make all of the decisions in my family with no consequences. I could write more but I think this is already too long.

Anonymous said...

I am the head of our household because my wife says I can be.

Anonymous said...

For the majority of our marriage I would say that I was in charge. I controlled the money...everything.

I am very thankful that my eyes were opened, and I am very thankful that I have a patient husband. Our lives and roles have changed dramatically over the past year and a half and we are both much happier because of it.

We are more like partners now. I voice my opinions, but he makes the final decisions.

I have learned what a difference it makes when I stop nagging and stop being critical over everything.

Anonymous said...

ummm....no! He is the head of taking out the trash and that's about it! He doesn't even know how much money is in our checking account...nor what bills I pay. If I don't make a decision, a decision doesn't get made.