Monday, April 6, 2009

If your teen told you he/she was gay how would you react and what would you do?

79 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... After crying a lot probably, I would want my husband and I to have a discussion with them about how we all have struggles in our lives and sins we are tempted by and this is a sin they are tempted by and it isn't an okay lifestyle-despite what the world says. I would also find a good Christian counselor who specializes in this sort of thing and a support group. I would in no way support them living a gay lifestyle, the same way I wouldn't support them shacking up with a boyfriend/girlfriend, getting an abortion, doing drugs, etc... However, I would still love them. If they weren't willing to see that living a gay life was a sin and demanded they have a gay lover and that everything was great about being gay, I would then have to let them go (depending how old they were of course) and tell them that we still love them, but can't support something them doing something wrong and hurtful to themselves, and that if they wanted to repent they are always welcome back at home.

Anonymous said...

Cry. A lot.

Anonymous said...

Oh man this is a tough one. First, I would make sure my child knew that even though my husband and I do not agree with their lifestyle choice, we do love them- and that will never stop. I agree with 6:17, about the Christian counselor. I would try to find one that my child respected/admired. And I would do everything to support/help my child.

Anonymous said...

first i would pray and fast for wisdom. then i would make it clear to my child and the partner that i loved them, and hopefully i would act on the wisdom God gives me.

Anonymous said...

Depends, is this my 14 year old teen or my 19 year old teen telling me this? I wouldn't choose this lifestyle for my kids but if they are old enough to live outside my house then they can make their own choices. If my 14 year old tells me they are gay then we would talk, alot, and perhaps meet with a counselor. I would not stop loving them or supporting them, whatever choice they make. I would like to think that I am open minded enough to not just close off my child.

Anonymous said...

I would first say that I loved him (or her) alot, and I loved him no matter what.

The suicide among teenage Christian gay teens is very high, and I would assess him or her for risk.

I would eventually tell him or her that there are many Christians that struggle with "unwanted same sex attraction".

I would offer to get him or her counseling from a trusted Christian counselor.

I would pray. Alot. and Often.

If he or she refused to get counseling, I would just be upfront and say which do you think would be worse enjoying the gay lifestyle for the rest of your life, or burning in hell for eternity.

If he/she chose the gay lifestyle, I would still love him/her but things would be very difficult, I can imagine.

I would probably go to (or start) a support group for parents of teens with kids who are gay. (Not P-FLAG as they are pro gay)

***Lastly, I do believe that believe are born being gay. But it is still a sin.**** I believe this after knowing and working with kids who are gay etc. etc. etc

Anonymous said...

Oops, I meant to say that I do believe that people are born being gay, it is not a choice. But it is still very sinful and wrong. It's sad that some CHristians have that temptation.

Anonymous said...

Well, obviously I'm a minority around here and I think that the posts before me make me a little sad. No wonder the suicide rate among gay teens is so high. If my parents told me they couldn't support me, because I was living in sin and I was going to burn in hell - I'd want to kill myself too.

I think that you are born gay, therefore it's not a choice or a temptation. Or a sin. I would completely support my child and honestly, I don't think it would change a thing. I also think I would see the signs, because I plan on raising my child to be open minded and non-judgemental. If my child did turn out to be gay, I hope they wouldn't be scared to tell me.

8:18 - how can you say you think peole are born being gay, but then say it's sad that some Christians still deal with this temptation? Which one is it - are they born gay or have temptations? They seem to be contradicting each other.

Anonymous said...

I honestly don't know. I know what I would have said a few years ago, but I've had some friends in the past few years who came out and now I just can't feel the same way. They are both Christians and prayed on their knees every night for God to change them. Why would God let that happen? I just don't know. Maybe God is testing us for how we treat those who are different. I do know that I still love my friends, and that nothing could make me stop loving my child. I wouldn't be able to shut them out of my life.

Anonymous said...

To 8:38 from 8:14 and 8:18 --

Yes, I believe that some people are born gay. Just like some people are born with a prone to worrying (which is also a sin), alcoholism, gluttony, etc.

I also believe that some people have homosexual feelings/attractions after suffering sexual abuse as a child.

I believe that while having homosexual feelings is not a choice, it IS A CHOICE to "act out" on those feelings, and IT IS CHOICE to live the homosexual lifestyle.

I also believe that the more someone becomes entangled in the lifestyle, the worse their homosexual feelings grow and become.

For more information,you might check out the Exodus Ministries web-site, which helps Christians who want to leave the homosexual lifestyle: http://www.exodus-international.org/

In answering your question, yes I believe they are born gay, and yes I believe its sad that they have that temptation. I have the temptation to overeat (which is a sin) and having that temptation would be very sad to me.

Anonymous said...

I don't think the 8:08 post is contradictory.

Some people are born with anger management issues, but they still have to control the temptation to go into a rage, start fires, hurt people/things, and perhaps kill someone/thing.

Some people are born with genetics that make it difficult to maintain a healthy weight. They have to fight the temptation to eat whatever foods they want and not exercise.

Being born pre-disposed to something doesn't excuse us from controlling out behavior.

Anonymous said...

9:14 girl here again --->

I also believe that as Christians, we need to love the sinner but hate the sin.

I think that many Churches of Christ haven't exactly been very well... helpful towards people who struggle with this sin.

Here's another good blog entry written by Mike Cope, a Church of Christ minister from Abilene:

http://preachermike.com/2006/04/12/homosexuality

Anonymous said...

I want to add that I do not agree with #7 on Mike Cope's list. Why make it easier for people to live in sin?

Anonymous said...

I think it's very easy to answer this question until it happens with someone in your family. That's what I think.

Anonymous said...

This is a tough one...I just had my first child and am facing the reality of a lot of issues like this and am not really sure what I would do. I know I would still love them and seek help.

Anonymous said...

For those of you that would recommend Christian counseling -

Focus on the Family has predicted that in my years, it will actually be illegal for Christian counselors to say homosexuality is wrong......

http://focusfamaction.edgeboss.net/download/focusfamaction/pdfs/10-22-08_2012letter.pdf

Anonymous said...

9:25--I have dealt with this first hand and here is how it has went so far... My brother came out a few years ago, we were not raised in the church, so he could care less about going to hell, etc.. That speech wouldn't work on him. He lives a wild lifestyle of drugs, alcohol and many partners. My mom cries a lot about this! She worries about AIDS and HIV. My parents sat him down and explained to him how much they love him but that it is a sin on their part to have them in their home. He is allowed to visit and does almost weekly but he is not allowed to bring any partners! She refuses to have that 'sin' brought into her home! It works really well (for now) no one talks about him being gay and we really kind of forget about it when we're all together. Recently my youngest brother has started saying he's gay. He's only 13. He does it mostly bc he wants to be just like big bro! I think my poor mom is going to have a heart attack. Neither of my brothers were born gay! It just happend one day. No abuse or anything either. So, I have to agree with 9:14 #2 that it is a choice and they have to choose whether to act upon the feeling or fight it like any other sin.

Anonymous said...

My question is- Is a sin going to keep you getting into heaven if you have been "saved". (I don't want to get into what everyone's different opinion of what saved is technically) Some of you compare this sin to over eating or anger management. We all struggle and live with sin in our life. If you over eat once or twice or even have sex outside of marriage do you think you will be hell bound? I don't think being homosexual means you cannot get into heaven. It is a struggle, like any sin. However, I do think that we will be in heaven with some gay people. I will let God decide who gets into heaven because I am a sinner too and I am THANKFUL for grace. I wish people looked at homosexuality the same as any other sin instead of a "bigger" one.

Anonymous said...

8:38-- How did your family react?

Anonymous said...

First poster here, I just wanted to emphasize that I would not just casually shut my child out. If they were adamant about not wanting to change their LIEFSTYLE of living as a gay and didn't think it was wrong, I would be left with no choice but to let them go on thier way. I metioned I would welcome them back if they repented. As horrible as it would be cutting them off, they have to understand that it isn't exceptable behavior, I couldn't just go about life as normal when they are purposely hurting themselves. I would do the same thing with a drug addict, I wouldn't let them do drugs in my house "becuase I going to support them no matter what". It is wrong, if they didn't want to change, I have to accept the loss of a child. Also, I believe we are all born with different stuggles, just because I am born with a tendency to worry does not mean it is okay and I should just live life as a worrier.

Anonymous said...

Exactly what 6:17 did! I believe modern day is so quick to accept any sins, no matter how big or small! The 'smaller' sins have just been overlooked a lot more. 10:12 #2 As God put it- A sin's a sin! I read in the Bible of how mean and ruthless people were to sinners! We aren't as mean (physically) as they once were, thus the sins comes forward and ok'd a little more each few years. I hope those that are walking in sin see how selfish it is and that they are in no way following God's word, but their own feelings and wants.

Anonymous said...

One of my good friends sons are guy. She didn't have to be told. We knew it from the time he was 5.

Anonymous said...

I would love my child as Christ loved the church.

Anonymous said...

Jesus still associated with people who he considered to be leading a sinful lifestyle. Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

But he didn't say it was okay.

Anonymous said...

he didn't slam them either, though.

Anonymous said...

What is your definitely of "slam"?

If you mean saying that sinning is wrong, like the previous posters have said, this yes, he did "slam" people who sinned.

Anonymous said...

no He didn't He treated them with kindness and respect. go read about the woman CAUGHT in adultery.

Anonymous said...

So he never said that homosexuality was wrong?

He never said that worrying was wrong?

He never said that divorce was wrong?

He never said that murder was wrong?

I'm very, very confused!

Anonymous said...

Just because he was kind and respectful to all sinners, doesn't mean he accepted their lifestyle and said it was okay.

Are you saying that Jesus would be okay with someone actively living a gay lifestyle?

Anonymous said...

Actually, Christ himself never specifically mentioned homosexuality in the bible. Not saying you guys are wrong, just throwing that out there.

Anonymous said...

No one here is slamming gays.

Anonymous said...

Just so we are getting our stories right, I believe Jesus told the adulterous woman to "Go, and sin no more."

He was loving, but not condoning.

Anonymous said...

I have a tangent question, if you took your child to the first day of school and found out his teacher was openly gay and had pictures of him and his lover and referred to him as his boyfriend to the children. What would you do?

Anonymous said...

Thanks 2:19.

The NIV version says "Go now and leave your life of sin."

Anonymous said...

2:54, or even worse what if they read the books "And Tango Makes 3" or "King and King" or "What Makes a Family" (Children's books that promote homosexuality, they have been read in some schools to students.)

Anonymous said...

2:54, Our school system doesn't even allow hetero's to have family pics on their desk! I don't think we'll have to worry about that for a long time. I actually live in a community (12,000+) and I don't know one gay person. They aren't accepted here so they move to bigger cities where it is accepted. If they don't think they are doing something wrong then why do they hide it in the first place? I believe God loves all of his Children equally, but he does not love the mistakes we make and we all make them, but we need to turn away from them and lead the straight and narrow life!

Anonymous said...

Spend some time at your local High School and you will see no longer are they hiding they are walking the halls openly. And this is not in large cities.
I'm not worried about the teachers being gay. Didn't you have a few teachers that you thought were guy?

Here is a question for you. How would your church react if a gay came to worship and obeyed the gospel? Would you expect them to go right away and sin no more?
There are churches that are opening there doors to the gays just like any other sinner.

Anonymous said...

is everyone on this blog so perfect? do you not believe in grace? Jesus did not condone sin, but he did understand people have to make the choice not to sin themselves. i don't think the woman caught in adultery had to think twice about sinning in that way anymore. i think the samaritan woman Jesus at the well had to really work on redeeming her life style. i do not know, but i would suppose most gays do not have a close relationship with Jesus. when they do start to develop a relationship, then they will want to start rethinking aspects of their lives. but they have to come to know him, accept him as Lord, and listen to the Spirit working in their lives. i don't know anyone who has perfected living for Jesus in this life. for all have sinned and fallen short...

Anonymous said...

I don't think any on this blog have said they were perfect. This is just a place to anonymously talk out some of the things we may not talk about openly. It's also a place to here a question that may make you think. Something that challenges you.

Anonymous said...

I know some openly gay teachers. By that I mean, they are gay, and the adults around them know it. But they are professional, AND DO NOT MAKE A DEAL OF IT IN THE CLASSROOM. This may be hard for some people to belive, but I think it is a coping skill that a lot of homosexual people have developed, because it makes it easier for others to deal with them. The teachers that I know who are also gay are not teaching so they can indoctrinate little children with their lifestyle.
I don't indoctrinate my students with my beliefs, beyond the basics of respect for all people and the unique and important potential we each have.

I say all that to reiterate the point that a gay teacher is not likely going to be the one reading those books.

Anonymous said...

If my son or daughter revealed that they were gay, they would always be welcomed in our home. Of course I would feel an extra need to pray.

Saying you're gay or feeling that you're gay doesn't REQUIRE that there's a partner in the mix. In my understanding of the scriptures, gay FEELINGS -- like temptations or attractions -- are never condemned. Only homosexual behavior is condemned, both OT and NT. (In the same way that drinking is never condemned, or the desire to drink -- but being drunk is condemned.) So I believe that it is possible to "be gay" but never act on it, and still be pleasing to God in that area of your life. In this case, my son or daughter would be merely struggling with temptation, which is not sin, but creates the opportunity to receive grace and power to overcome from Jesus our Lord.

In response to being "born gay" or "born angry" or "born ________" used to explain common human struggles ...

Logic demands that if God calls it a sin, it must be a chosen behavior. IOW, God has not made laws against things that we cannot help.

Of course, it's easier to claim "born gay" because it gives a convenient excuse to give in to the behavior you already intend to participate in. "God made me this way" doesn't cut it, either. God doesn't create people to behave in ways that are contrary to his laws. That wouldn't be just. We can all choose, which is the greatest justice that God has given us access to.

Granted, some of us are faced with choices that are more difficult than others. Gay behavior doesn't happen to be one of my tough choices, but just ask me to control myself when it comes to food or being lazy ... I believe we don't all face exactly the same temptations because Satan attacks us in different ways with different methods.

Anonymous said...

Homosexuality is a sin. As with all sin, it results in a separation from our Holy Father. Through God's mercy and love, He gave us a way to overcome our imperfections and be reunited with Him for eternity...through His only Son-who was perfect yet died for all. In a word GRACE. Praise God - his grace is sufficient.
Why do we so easily put homosexuality in a different category than liars, cheaters, gossipers etc...?
Not bashing this question at all, but it could have just as easily said - what would a parent do if their child struggled with lying.

But to answer -I would, as a parent, pray for my child to be convicted of their sin (whatever it may be) and turn from it...this is what I pray for them often.

I have an idea...since this is anonymous, let's all list our most recent/ongoing sinful behavior and then see what our parents would think about it & do to us, and in turn what we would do about it with our children.
Me- I can quickly get frustrated with my children-it's a daily struggle to be loving and patient -I often fail. My husband wants me to add his sin: he's selfish.

Anonymous said...

10:14 - it's 8:38 replying to your question. I'm not gay myself, I just meant I'm a minority in my beliefs from most on this blog. I do have many, many gay friends, and they are all people just like us. Some are Christian, some are not. Some have dealt with drugs/alcohol, some have not. Some are very well educated, and some are not. One of my best friends from childhood is very successful and active in his community - always giving back to others. Not one of them is out there boozing it up and having promiscuous sex. Most are in committed relationships and would be married if they could.

So it's just my belief and my experience personally... you're born gay. It's not wrong. It's not a sin.

Just my thoughts on the matter. I can appreciate everyone's thoughts, even if they're so far fetched from my way of thinking that they make no sense.

Anonymous said...

8:38- Are you a Christian?

Anonymous said...

5:43--> I believe God looks at gay Feelings the same as homosexual behavior. You lost me on all of that! Scripture says: If you are committing adultery in your mind, it's the same as going out and actually committing adultery. Would that not be along the same lines? The way I was taught, if you have one beer and it takes 4 to get drunk (I'm little) then you are 1/4 drunk!! I guess some people lack common sense and need a Bible for 5 year olds! God doesn't have to give us every detail of what to not do, we should be so smart as to assume that when he says homosexuality is a sin, that means all aspects of it.

Anonymous said...

8:08PM - No, I'm not. Is it that obvious? =)

Anonymous said...

Hi 9:21, this is 8:14 (and also (9:14 and 9:18) here ---

I'm assuming you are not active in a church, but if you are, please never say (what you typed here) to someone at your church (or anyone for that matter.)

I agree that if someone is having homosexual feelings, he/she should do whatever it takes, such as therapy, whatever, to cope with this sin and to try to purify their mind and thoughts. If it means not turning on the TV, then maybe they should not do that. They should not be around other people who are living the gay lifestyle,etc.

But to say they can completely control their homosexual thoughts completely is not true.

Think back to when you first had a crush on someone. Did you actually choose that crush? Did you actually, conciously decide to have that attraction? No, of course not....

Do you see my point?

Please read Mike Copes blog:

http://preachermike.com/2006/04/12/homosexuality

Read through some of the comments of people (some are preachers in the Church of Christ who are married and struggle with this sin). Especially towards the end of the comments section.

Having the feelings is NOT a choice, acting out on it IS a choice. While I do agree they should do whatever they can in their power to avoid them (I personally might become a hermit if I had that struggle and try to work from home) they cannot control the thoughts completely.

Anonymous said...

To 9:21 again -------

I just realized that we may differ on "homosexual feelings". I am not talking about lust. I'm talking about the attraction that you feel towards someone.

Anonymous said...

8:38AM - (8:08PM here) Yes, it is obvious.=) But, I love ya!

Anonymous said...

If it were my child, I would pray a lot, both with my child and on my own. I would read scriptures with my child and explain to them that this is a sin, but that it is something they can be set free from with God's help. I would try to remove those influences from my child's life that may be influencing them towards that sinful lifestyle. I also want to note that I would do the exact same thing if I found out my child was using drugs, or involved in heterosexual activity before marriage. Sinning is sinning is sinning.

Also, I know I am a day late on this, but, I just wanted to throw something out there to those of you who are preaching about God's grace. Just because grace is there does mean it's okay for us to abuse it. What about Romans 6:1,2 that says, "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?"

I am not saying anyone can be perfect. Jesus was the only perfect one who will ever exist. We all have things we struggle with from time to time, and we should repent of those things when we realize we have done them, but I don't think it's okay for a person to claim to be a Christian and then be constantly living a sinful lifestyle that they know is forbidden by God. There is a difference between being a SINNER (which we all are) and LIVING in sin. You cannot LIVE in sin and be pleasing to God.

Anonymous said...

9:21- It is interesting to me you bring up being 1/4 drunk. I am positive I can have a drink and be okay and not be sinning. They drank wine all throughout the bible. So one drink is not a sin for everyone.

Now to thoughts. I believe you can't control what pops in your head. Human nature is sinful. We are typically inately selfish and have to learn to fight that. The bible wouldn't say everyone sins if there was a possibility to be perfect! Its not human nature and the devil is strong too. God wants us to want him and want to do what is right though. It's all about the heart. People who struggle with being gay, even if they act out on it are not going to hell anymore than anyone else. We all mess up and should just be encouraged, pray for, anything but condemned and shunned. I'm so glad I don't have to decide who's going to heaven or hell! God is much more just than I could ever be.

Anonymous said...

The Bible says to Hold every thought captive to the obedience of Christ!

Anonymous said...

I just thought of something.

For those of you that would "let them go" or basically disown them, wouldn't you feel guilty not been active in your grandchildren's lives?

Many gay people eventually have children through alternative methods or adoption. My husband used to work with foster children and many had gay parents.

So anyway, its not their fault that you child is gay.

Wouldn't you feel guilty not having an active role in your grandchild's life?

Anonymous said...

I guess the question that I have above is geared towards the first poster 6:17 am, but anyone can answer.

I mean, truthfully, you might be the only "hetero" example to your grandkids.......

Also, someone here said they do the same with drug addicts, if they had kids would you disown the kids too?

Anonymous said...

6:17 here, if my drug addict child had a kid, I would fight for custody of the grandchild and would think I would win if my child was a drug addict. I would then move where my child didn't know where to protect my grandchild from them.

You can really do that if your kid is gay. I am assuming my child wouldn't let me have contact with their children. If they would let me, I would happily have a relationship with the grandchild. I would not pretend that being gay is great or anything and that I am oaky with it, but I would not tell my 5 yearold grandson that his daddies are going to hell or anything like that.

Anonymous said...

WAIT A SECOND. You will not go to hell just because you are gay. Sinners go to Heaven - all of us wouldn't be going if sinners weren't allowed in Heaven.

The only way you are going to hell is if you are not saved. If Jesus is your Lord and Savior then you are going to heaven.

Anonymous said...

10:43, all of us aren't going to Heaven! Only those that live the most faithful of lives. I believe only the best of the best will be there. We need to live most sinless lives we can! God gives us mercy bc we do sin and it is wrong. Why would he give us mercy if we could just live a life of sin? That doesn't make sense! So, you think just bc we believe and 'accept' him that we get a free pass to Heaven? I don't think so! Let me guess..Baptist?

Anonymous said...

11:11 - Let me guess judgmental hypocrite? I was all on board with you until you had to throw in that last comment. Rude.

Anonymous said...

NO, I am not Baptist.

Show me the scripture that says that you go to Heaven because of your works or faith. It is only by accepting Jesus as your Lord and Savior that you will get to heaven.

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. -Romans 6:12

John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Romans 10:8-11:

…The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Jesus said, “Him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out” (John 6:37). No matter what kind of sinner you are, no matter what you have done, you can go to Jesus and He will accept you. Once you go to Him, then He will cause you to be born again. He will re-create you, and that sin which has been plaguing you will be a thing of the past. It will be gone. You will be accepted before God as if you have never sinned!

Anonymous said...

Baptist are well known for their saying: once saved, always save. Am I wrong? Your comment clearly stated that you believe that once you are saved, you are always saved! I'm sorry if it sounded rude.

My family all believe that once saved always saved and that makes me furious! Especially seeing the way they are and then hear them say, when I get to Heaven... Ugh! Disgusts me. There is work involved, otherwise we would all agree on everything and life would be a piece of cake.

Anonymous said...

Still disagree, unless you can show it to me the the WORD!

Anonymous said...

Only the best of the best get to heaven?

SHEESH! THEN WHY DID CHRIST DIE?

Anonymous said...

4:34 - that is EXACTLY what I was going to type.

Saying that you get to Heaven by being good and not sinning is a slap in the face to Jesus!

Anonymous said...

I in no way think we can earn our way into Heaven. We only are given a chance at Heaven through Jesus Christ. That having been said, we have responsiblities here on earth as we are waiting for our grace-filled, undeserved, mercy wrapped gift.

1 Thes 4:1-12 talks about the kind of lives we are expected to live.

Philippians 1:27 says "Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ." Implying we are able to live in a way that is NOT worthy of Christ and his gift.

I was baptized at 14 years old. I seek to serve Him in all I do, but I fully believe that if I take my eyes off Him and look to Satan I am lost again. ...until I turn back to him.

Welcoming Him into my heart is no guarantee of my salvation.

Anonymous said...

I'm 11:11 and I am totally confused by your comments. I do not believe unrepenting sinners will be in Heaven, maybe I should have put it that way! When you become a Christian, you do become a new person and all your past sins are forgotten. But, you can't just go back to your old ways and say, hey I was baptized so now I'm ok. You do have to take on a Christ like life. You don't get to Heaven by 'being a good person' you need to be a 'good Christian!' Christ died so we could have an opportunity to go to Heaven, not a gurantee! If we had a gurantee, no matter what we did w/o repenting, why would we need forgiveness?!?

5:34 I agree that it is so easy to become lost.

Matthew 7:21 is so well said. "Not everyone that saith unto me Lord, Lord shall enter into the kingdom of Heaven; but he that doeth the will of my father which is in Heaven."

Anonymous said...

Also, Romans 6:15-16 tells us not to sin. Just bc we have grace doesn't mean we're free to continue sinning!

Anonymous said...

4:34 and 4:49, I don't think you were following along very well.

This is all assuming you are already a Christian.

If you still think it's a slap in Jesus' face that we (Christians) are to live good lives and not sin, somethings wrong with you.

Anonymous said...

9:46, I wanted to post that but didn't remember where it was said. I was following and understood all the comments except those two. Well put though.

:)

Anonymous said...

9:46 here's another really good one:

James 2:17-18 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

:)

Anonymous said...

I am the SO WHY DID CHRIST DIE poster.

I followed along well. I read carefully. Christ's blood CONTINUALLY CLEANSES us. It has to, or else we would be constantly fluctuating from a state of lost to saved based on ourselves.

Do we go on sinning so that grace may abound? By no means!

But people, if you are basing your salvation on yourself at all, how can you be sure that you are saved? We are not that awesome.

Yeah, you don't have living faith without works, but you can never work yourself into heaven, either.

Anonymous said...

i really think it all goes back to your heart, to obeying the two greatest commands. the first, love God. if you love Me, you will keep my commands. once you accept Jesus, then you begin to realise what it means to follow Him. you change gradually, you give up aspects fo your old life as you see what really matters, but you don't stop there. you have to love each other. you see, it is the matter of your heart, more than anything. in the old testament, the blood flowed with all the sacrifice, and it still wasn't enough, Jesus sacrifice was enough, and if you belong to Him, regardless of where you are in your walk with Him, You are SAVED by His grace. we do not walk a thin line between saved, lost, saved, lost. and because we have The Holy Spirit living in us, He will bring us to the realization that we need to be transformed more and more into His image, but it takes time. i am not giving chapter and verse, but it is all in there. do you think when paul was struggling, he was lost until he straightened up? if peter had died in the garden, would he have been lost? no otherwise, why bother? Jesus blood has set us free. so the first 2 fundamentals are loving God and loving each other, concentrate on those two things and the rest will follow.

Anonymous said...

Here are a few scriptures to study.

Matthew 7:14 Few enter Heaven.

Luke 13:3 Except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Ezekiel 18:30
Romans 6:23
Isaiah 59:1-2
I John 1:5-10 confess our sins-he is faithful and just to forgive us.
Mark 8:34-38
II Corinthians 5:10
Luke 6:46

Anonymous said...

Religion will tell you that you are not good enough to get to Heaven. But when you are saved, God sees you through the blood of Jesus.

You are saved by grace NOT by works.

So, are you telling me that because I sometimes cuss and because I sometimes loose my temper and sometimes I see my body as my own and not my husband's ---All of these are sins--- that I am not going to Heaven?

I think if someone that has been saved then denounces God that then that person will go to hell. But, I don't beleive that sinning will keep you out of Heaven after you have accepted Jesus into your heart.

Some people completely miss out on the blessings that God has for them, if they will truly follow Him - with all their heart and soul, but that doesn't mean that God doesn't love them. It also doesn't mean that God loves someone who completly flows Him more than someone who doesn't. God is no respector of persons!

Anonymous said...

I think God expects way more out of us than some are willing to give. You don't want to give up cussing or anger, out of your own selfishness. I believe only when we give ourselves to God, unselfishly, we gain our Heavenly lives. We are told to take up our crosses and follow Jesus. Do you think Jesus cussed and sinned? NO! Jesus was perfect and we are to strive to be like him! I try to be like Christ in every way and by grace I hope he overlooks any imperfections I may have, but I think I need to prove that I am worthy of his grace! By my works And my faith will I be saved.

Anonymous said...

How can a stranger see you as a Christian when you are acting like that? You can't serve two masters!

Anonymous said...

"9:54 if peter had died in the garden, would he have been lost? no otherwise, why bother?"

Yes he would have been lost, if not, why did he bother repenting!!

:)

Anonymous said...

because his heart was full of love for God, he had not grasped love for his brothers yet.

Anonymous said...

Dear 12:08 and 12:12 this is 11:41. If you knew me in real life you would say that I am one of the most unselfish people you know. That I give so much to others and am always serving the Lord. He is so real in my life and speaks to me daily.

Are you seriously implying that you are perfect and never get upset and that you have sex with your husband EVERYTIME he wants too?

Strangers do not see me "acting like that." I was just admitting some of my weaknesses (or ways that sin tries to come into my life.) If neither of you have sin in your life then you must be better women than I am.

So call me selfish if you want, but I serve a mighty God who is just to forgive. He loves me even if I fail.