This is an experiment to see how honest people can be if they don't have to identify themselves. Some silly, some deep, but all require honesty.
Friday, February 13, 2009
Reader Rally
The first one here leave a question in the comment section. The rest of us will answer YOUR question. Just keep in mind the goal of this blog. Make people think and be honest with themselves. I look forward to seeing what you are curious about.
24 comments:
Anonymous
said...
In light of the recent Salma Hayek (sp?) you tube video, do you think it is weird to nurse someone else's baby? Would you ever do it or let someone else nurse your baby?
I find it odd...I personally wouldn't do it, or let someone else nurse my own baby. I know someone who shared breastmilk with a friend who wasn't able to nurse...didn't actually nurse the baby, just pumped and gave the milk. That is different to me.
I agree, in a impoverished country I would do it without a second thought, and I would allow it to be done. I think that in the US, it would be a different story; however, I did offer to breast feed my newborn neice as the baby's doctor was wanting my sister to supplement.
I know that in the US, there are people who sell their milk to others...
Haha, is there anyone that actually believes someone else's breastmilk is going to make them gay?
I would personally nurse someone else's baby if they needed it, if they are starving, or if a sister/friend ask me to do it for their baby if they couldn't nurse for a few days if they were having surgery or something. I wouldn't tell other people about it though since they might think it was super weird or something. Also, I always thought it I was adopting a baby, I would try really hard to nurse them. I don't know why we (me too) think of nursing someone's baby as creepy.
I deleted the comment posted at 7:56am. It was unnecessary and did not benefit the dialog in any way.
This is a good opportunity to remind you that even though you don't have to own your comments, you are still expected to be respectful of others. Differing opinions are fine but keep it clean and kind, please.
I have nursed a friends baby. Our babies were close in age. I was helping care for him during a family crisis. One of her children was in the hospital. He wouldn't take a bottle. I was very comfortable doing this.
As far as I know this baby who is now an adult was not changed by my breastmilk and nursing on a breast that didn't belong to his mother.
I don't know anything about the video. I would pump and give it to them. For me, there is just too much bonding that goes on while you are breastfeeding. I wouldn't want to get attached to someone else's baby. I have always had a abundance of milk and wanted to sell it to suplement income. I also had a friend who gave her "pumped" milk to a baby that was adopted. At first I thought it was strange, but then when she was no longer nursing her own child and still pumped for that baby I knew it was a huge commitment.
So, I'll be your pumping milkmaid if you need...maybe it will help me loose some weight.
I agree with most of what's already been said. I don't think I'd ever be comfortable doing it, but in 3rd world countries with a vast need that's a different story. I admire Selma Hayek for stepping up and doing something a little out of the box to try and save many, many babies lives. If she and the mom were ok with it and she's trying to take some of the stigma out of breastfeeding, then I don't see why I should judge her negatively for that.
But I still don't think I'd do it unless there was a true need, and I wouldn't want someone else to nurse my baby.
Weird how we all wouldn't mind nursing or at least pumping milk for them, but someone else nursing our own, is totally different. I couldn't watch my baby nurse off of someone else. I can't imagine how that mom felt watching someone else doing what she couldn't do! I'm sure she was thankful, but on the other hand, she did this. She quit nursing him and now he's hungry. There should be more press geared toward the mothers not nursing their hungry children and less on the selfless act of Salma Hayek!
I posted already that I would nurse another baby without hesitation. I just wanted to add that I would allow my baby to be nursed by someone else in an emergency or extreme situtaion if I knew that person and knew they were free of a disease that could be passed through the milk.
What I get sick of hearing is "breast milk is the only way you child will be healthy." It's just not true. Sure if you CAN breastfeed, wonderful, but not everyone can. With my first child I stayed awake at night and cried because I was fearful my child would be get sick all the time and we wouldn't be close. I also felt looked down upon because I couldn't BF, I just didn't make enough milk.
BOTH of my children were bottle fed on high quality formula and they rarely ever get sick. They have never had ear infections, and never been on antibiotics. So breastfeeding may be the option you choose, but it might not work for everyone! Keep that in mind the next time you give a new mom your 2 cents.
I wanted to nurse, but my body didn't cooperate. I dealt with a great deal of guilt because of it.
I think the campaign to make nursing acceptable is great, but keep in mind not everyone is able to. Our kids will be just fine. I'm thankful to live in a place where we have options of good formula to help us out. If we didn't have those options, I would have allowed someone else to feed my child.
I want to 2nd what 12:37 and 12:46 just mentioned. I wasn't able to nurse my 1st child. It wasn't an issue with my production, it was him and some weird sucking issue where he kept his toungue on the roof of his mouth. The doctor said he prob did it in utero also. I pumped for months so he could still get some of the nutrients, but even though I did that I still got some comments like "everyone is able to nurse their baby, that is how God intented." I felt so hurt. Anyway, I was able to nurse my last two and had no issues, but I made sure to let others know (that couldn't or just didn't want to) that it was okay. They are not hurting their baby and to not let other people's insensitive comments hurt them.
Now back on topic. Nursing is such a bonding experience for me with my babies. I felt like I was able to bond faster with my girls because of this reason. So for that reason I would not want someone else to feed my baby or feed another unless it was an emergency. However I don't think it is gross nor would I look down on other mothers if it was something they needed to do for each other.
It's not about whether you can or can't nurse your own, it's IF you could nurse someone else's baby, would you just grab a hold of them and give them your breast?
This child was 'starving' the reports say. And why? Bc The mother stopped bf, not that she couldn't anymore but, because it is taboo for a man to have sex with a breastfeeding woman! How ignorant to have a child, and CHOOSE not to breast feed, when they can't otherwise nurish them, all because of 'taboo!'
If they could afford formula or other means of food, this would be No biggie, but bc they are intentionally starving their kids, it's just abandonment!
This is unrelated, but I wanted to donate my breastmilk to a milk bank and they wouldn't let me b/c I lived overseas when I was younger (missionary family)
Breastfeeding did not come easily for me. At all. But I was determined to stick with it as a contribution to our family and to the health of my child. I am glad that I stuck with it, because when number 2 was born and a preemie, i knew that I had been successful before and could be again with it. My first child got formula one time; my second got formula almost half the time on average. And I nursed them both for one year. I pumped a lot for both.) Boy was I relieved when that year was up!
I wouldn't want anybody else to nurse my kids. Formula is so good these days that it does not seem necessary.
Many years ago before there was good formula, my aunt had an abundance of milk and my mom was struggling. The doctor said my aunt had enough milk for four babies, and suggested that she breast feed my mother's child. She did and it all worked out okay. They lived very close to each other and I think the nursing went on for about 6 months. I don't remember anyone making a big deal out of it.
Most of these questions are now submitted. Please feel free to submit your question and see how others feel. Email me here with a subject line of "Anonymous Truth"
24 comments:
In light of the recent Salma Hayek (sp?) you tube video, do you think it is weird to nurse someone else's baby? Would you ever do it or let someone else nurse your baby?
In a third world country where there is an overwhelming shortage of nutrition, I'd do it and allow it to be done.
Here in the USofA, where we have an abundant of everything...I don't really see myself doing that. ever.
I find it odd...I personally wouldn't do it, or let someone else nurse my own baby. I know someone who shared breastmilk with a friend who wasn't able to nurse...didn't actually nurse the baby, just pumped and gave the milk. That is different to me.
I agree, in a impoverished country I would do it without a second thought, and I would allow it to be done. I think that in the US, it would be a different story; however, I did offer to breast feed my newborn neice as the baby's doctor was wanting my sister to supplement.
I know that in the US, there are people who sell their milk to others...
Haha, is there anyone that actually believes someone else's breastmilk is going to make them gay?
I would personally nurse someone else's baby if they needed it, if they are starving, or if a sister/friend ask me to do it for their baby if they couldn't nurse for a few days if they were having surgery or something. I wouldn't tell other people about it though since they might think it was super weird or something. Also, I always thought it I was adopting a baby, I would try really hard to nurse them. I don't know why we (me too) think of nursing someone's baby as creepy.
I'd breastfeed "7:56 AM" just to shut them up!!!!
I deleted the comment posted at 7:56am. It was unnecessary and did not benefit the dialog in any way.
This is a good opportunity to remind you that even though you don't have to own your comments, you are still expected to be respectful of others.
Differing opinions are fine but keep it clean and kind, please.
I have nursed a friends baby. Our babies were close in age. I was helping care for him during a family crisis. One of her children was in the hospital. He wouldn't take a bottle.
I was very comfortable doing this.
As far as I know this baby who is now an adult was not changed by my breastmilk and nursing on a breast that didn't belong to his mother.
I don't know anything about the video. I would pump and give it to them. For me, there is just too much bonding that goes on while you are breastfeeding. I wouldn't want to get attached to someone else's baby. I have always had a abundance of milk and wanted to sell it to suplement income. I also had a friend who gave her "pumped" milk to a baby that was adopted. At first I thought it was strange, but then when she was no longer nursing her own child and still pumped for that baby I knew it was a huge commitment.
So, I'll be your pumping milkmaid if you need...maybe it will help me loose some weight.
I also have not seen the video. If I didn't have money for formula or couldn't nurse my own kids then I would totally ask someone to help me out.
I agree with most of what's already been said. I don't think I'd ever be comfortable doing it, but in 3rd world countries with a vast need that's a different story. I admire Selma Hayek for stepping up and doing something a little out of the box to try and save many, many babies lives. If she and the mom were ok with it and she's trying to take some of the stigma out of breastfeeding, then I don't see why I should judge her negatively for that.
But I still don't think I'd do it unless there was a true need, and I wouldn't want someone else to nurse my baby.
8:40AM- Did your friend know you did this? Was she ok with it?
Weird how we all wouldn't mind nursing or at least pumping milk for them, but someone else nursing our own, is totally different. I couldn't watch my baby nurse off of someone else. I can't imagine how that mom felt watching someone else doing what she couldn't do! I'm sure she was thankful, but on the other hand, she did this. She quit nursing him and now he's hungry. There should be more press geared toward the mothers not nursing their hungry children and less on the selfless act of Salma Hayek!
I posted already that I would nurse another baby without hesitation. I just wanted to add that I would allow my baby to be nursed by someone else in an emergency or extreme situtaion if I knew that person and knew they were free of a disease that could be passed through the milk.
Answering the question that was made to 8:40.
Yes she knew. The situation was an emergency and we all were comfortable with it.
She was very active with the la leche league and believed in the importance of breastfeeding stronger than I.
Off track some, sorry....
What I get sick of hearing is "breast milk is the only way you child will be healthy." It's just not true. Sure if you CAN breastfeed, wonderful, but not everyone can. With my first child I stayed awake at night and cried because I was fearful my child would be get sick all the time and we wouldn't be close. I also felt looked down upon because I couldn't BF, I just didn't make enough milk.
BOTH of my children were bottle fed on high quality formula and they rarely ever get sick. They have never had ear infections, and never been on antibiotics. So breastfeeding may be the option you choose, but it might not work for everyone! Keep that in mind the next time you give a new mom your 2 cents.
I completely agree.
I wanted to nurse, but my body didn't cooperate. I dealt with a great deal of guilt because of it.
I think the campaign to make nursing acceptable is great, but keep in mind not everyone is able to. Our kids will be just fine. I'm thankful to live in a place where we have options of good formula to help us out. If we didn't have those options, I would have allowed someone else to feed my child.
I want to 2nd what 12:37 and 12:46 just mentioned. I wasn't able to nurse my 1st child. It wasn't an issue with my production, it was him and some weird sucking issue where he kept his toungue on the roof of his mouth. The doctor said he prob did it in utero also. I pumped for months so he could still get some of the nutrients, but even though I did that I still got some comments like "everyone is able to nurse their baby, that is how God intented." I felt so hurt. Anyway, I was able to nurse my last two and had no issues, but I made sure to let others know (that couldn't or just didn't want to) that it was okay. They are not hurting their baby and to not let other people's insensitive comments hurt them.
Now back on topic. Nursing is such a bonding experience for me with my babies. I felt like I was able to bond faster with my girls because of this reason. So for that reason I would not want someone else to feed my baby or feed another unless it was an emergency.
However I don't think it is gross nor would I look down on other mothers if it was something they needed to do for each other.
It's not about whether you can or can't nurse your own, it's IF you could nurse someone else's baby, would you just grab a hold of them and give them your breast?
This child was 'starving' the reports say. And why? Bc The mother stopped bf, not that she couldn't anymore but, because it is taboo for a man to have sex with a breastfeeding woman! How ignorant to have a child, and CHOOSE not to breast feed, when they can't otherwise nurish them, all because of 'taboo!'
If they could afford formula or other means of food, this would be No biggie, but bc they are intentionally starving their kids, it's just abandonment!
This is unrelated, but I wanted to donate my breastmilk to a milk bank and they wouldn't let me b/c I lived overseas when I was younger (missionary family)
What mom wouldn't feed a starving baby if they had food on them?!
Salma fed a starving infant not some random kid at the park.
Breastfeeding did not come easily for me. At all. But I was determined to stick with it as a contribution to our family and to the health of my child. I am glad that I stuck with it, because when number 2 was born and a preemie, i knew that I had been successful before and could be again with it. My first child got formula one time; my second got formula almost half the time on average. And I nursed them both for one year. I pumped a lot for both.)
Boy was I relieved when that year was up!
I wouldn't want anybody else to nurse my kids. Formula is so good these days that it does not seem necessary.
Many years ago before there was good formula, my aunt had an abundance of milk and my mom was struggling. The doctor said my aunt had enough milk for four babies, and suggested that she breast feed my mother's child. She did and it all worked out okay. They lived very close to each other and I think the nursing went on for about 6 months. I don't remember anyone making a big deal out of it.
google "wet nurse" to learn about an age old practice- nothing new, nothing wrong. . .
heightsm
Post a Comment