Wednesday, February 25, 2009

If you were to observe Lent this year, what would you give up? (Lent starts today if anyone is interested in a challenge.)

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess I'd give up foolish religious rituals that offer no real reformative change but are acted out for the mere displpay, or as Christ said 'to be seen of men"- either that or pickled okra and stewed tomatoes!

dicati

Anonymous said...

i have observed lent for several years. i give up something i enjoy every year. it has always been a food, but i could give up reading or tv, it just always is food. this year i am giving up my glass of wine that i enjoy having in the evening. everytime i observe lent, it makes me think of all the sacrifices Jesus made for me as He chose the way of the cross.

Anonymous said...

Last year I gave up hollywood gossip websites. It was very good for me. I think this year I will do the same.

Anonymous said...

What I give up is not posted anywhere for "men" to see. It is between me a God. When giving up this item or activity it drawns my spirit closer to God.

Anonymous said...

I have observed lent since I was baptized as a teenager, and I always give up food. Thanks to posters 6:52 and 7:32 for opening my eyes that I do not have to only give up food! I too observe lent to remember the sacrifices that Jesus made. This year, I think I will give up reading the Hollywood gossip websites, shows, and my weekly subscriptions to People and US.

Anonymous said...

I never have observed Lent. I have given up things when I realized they were not adding to my life. Last year, two of my favorite TV shows were tossed out.

One was Oprah and the other was a total guilty pleasure reality show.

Anonymous said...

I do observe lent each year. This year I am giving up fast food. What is amazing, what I give up each year has stayed out of my life...so far...

Anonymous said...

How long are we talking? J/K. I am Christian, so I don't do Lent. But, I'm up for a challenge of giving something up.

I would probably give up eating out! My family loves to eat out, it's something we really look forward to. We go out every night w/ friends/family. I'm going to try hard, but we'll see!

Anonymous said...

tv - anytime.

Anonymous said...

8:19 - It is Christians that observe lent.

I am going to give up Diet Pop. One year I worked with a youth group and several of the kids gave something up. I was so inspired by them I started giving something up. They talked about how they would spend time in Prayer when they really wanted whatever it was they had given up.

Anonymous said...

8:19 is Church of Christ, and No we do not observe Lent.

Anonymous said...

Lent is celebrated by mostly Catholics and some denominational Churches.

Anonymous said...

The church of Christ may not corporately "observe" Lent, but I have several c of C friends who do this, and they have been real inspirations to me.

I know it is getting off-topic, but I feel the need to mention that not all Christians are members of the c of C. Like it or not, there are denominations within the Christian faith. This has been mulled over a few times on this blog, but the comments by 6:27 and 8:19 compelled me to bring it up again. Some of these "foolish rituals"--such as Lent--were designed to help us get our focus off of our own lives. If Christ could give up His life for us, what can we give up for just 40 days to draw closer to Him?

Anonymous said...

I guess I'd say caffeine, except I've already failed! Started my day with it, and I didn't know Lent started today.

Anonymous said...

9:04 - Thank You.

Anonymous said...

Lent is a way to fast for 40 days for God's people to remember Jesus sacrifice. no matter what denomination you are (coc included) it is an exercise in humbling yourself to the Lord. It is not something you should do lightly, it is a commitment to God that you are thankful, so thankful for His love.

Anonymous said...

6:27 replies-
Jesus calls for his own to deny ourselves and take up our crosses daily to follow him. He has never called us to self-flagellate or take arduous pilgrimages or live like hermits away from society, wave flags, spin wheel, light candles or the like. The reformative changes (perhaps transformative is more accurate) are intended to set our focus on that which is most important and to eliminate that which is trivial- daily, this day, Wednesday the 24th

As for reflecting on Christ’s suffering: doesn’t that little piece of cracker and grape juice cry out weekly that the Author and Perfecter of our faith endured not just privation but a sadistic execution? And I’m giving up Coke Lite and E-News daily for five weeks to get in touch with that?

I dare not repudiate anyone’s desire to mature spiritually; however, I do hope that we see the difference between whitewashed tombs and dead men’s bones.
dratic

Anonymous said...

I am CofC and I do not celebrate Lent. I celebrate God and the sacrifice of his son, Every Day! I do not like to celebrate holidays that man has made up. It gets old when people only show their faith a few times a year (ex: Easter, Christmas, etc).

I think Lent is a good idea, as long as it's not the Only time you put aside to show God you love him. :)

I would also like to see us act more Christian like. I know this is not a Christian site, but lets be nice and try to understand others :)

I posted 8:49 and I was not trying to be rude! CofC is considered a nondenominational church. Meaning it is independent. I never put down denominational churches! Christian is Christ Like, not what church you go to! Enough from me... Way off topic! But..Amen!

Anonymous said...

me, I gave up my New Year's Resolution for Lent. Very freeing.

Anonymous said...

no wonder the coc is not growing.

Anonymous said...

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another” (John 13:34-35).

It sounds like we all need to remember daily these words of Jesus.

Anonymous said...

Hey, 8:49\2:12 -- The only people who consider the c of c to be nondenominational are people who don't know the definition of "denomination."

Really and truly, it doesn't matter if every c of c congregation is independent. You call it "c of c" and we all know what you're talking about. You can go to almost any c of c church and know what you're going to get as far as doctrine, tradition, jargon, etc. You can trace the beginnings of the c of c to a specific point in time in the Restoration Movement of the early 1800s ( and don't give me the crap that the c of c was begun on Pentecost, A.D. 33. That's the day that God's church began, a bigger entity than the c of c). The very fact that you call yourselves something different to distinguish yourselves from all other groups like you MEANS "denomination."

I'm so frustrated with the Pharisaical blindness to this FACT. Christians are those who believe in and are obedient to Christ. The name on the outside of the building doesn't matter.

Plus, if you celebrate Easter and Christmas, Independence Day, birthdays, etc., you're celebrating man-made holidays. You REALLY don't celebrate those things?

Anonymous said...

I am giving up spending my time blogging for Lent. Not blogging for Lent; for Lent I am giving up spending time blogging.

Anonymous said...

The discussion about the C of C and whether it is or isn't a denomination. It's not a cult, but it is denominational in many senses.

Here's a challenge: all of you c of c'ers invite, say, five non c of c friends (if you have them) to this blog. Send them the link. Let's get a more diversified group talking here.

Anybody up for it?

Anonymous said...

hmmmm.....do I even HAVE 5 friends that aren't members of the C of C!! (I'm being sarcastic here!!)

I did it...GOOD IDEA!!!

Anonymous said...

"Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand. One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God." (Romans 14:4-6) CASE CLOSED