Non-Denominational, I have gone there six years, my husband has gone there most of his life. (The only time he didn't go there was when we went to a different church for a while.)
church of Christ all my life, husband too. I always was told it was non-denominational, but now that there are churches with that in their title I feel like it is a denomination.
Church of Christ. My hubby got me going when I was 16. I was raised Roman Catholic, his entire family is C of C. I don't understand how anyone could go anywhere else. C of C is all about reading the Bible and following it! Read Wikipedia's C of C meaning, it was actually pretty good. I thought it would be totally off.
We have raised our kids C of C and are very strict with attendance. I say 'we', I am so lucky that he thinks it's as important as I do! I was actually released from the hospital, after child birth, on a Wed am and Wed nt we were in service! That was after a c-section!
For the person who is feeling discouraged - have you thought about talking with your elders?
I recently became friends with someone who goes to a Bible church and (at least it sounds like) it is alot like the COC. I don't think that only members of the COC are going to heaven
Church of Christ - my husband was raised a Baptist. Do not think we are the only ones going to heaven. I wish there were a little more "joy" in our services, but speaking to our elders is not productive. They are mostly standard, legalistic people. I love them - I respect them, but feel we are losing people because of their worship ethics. I don't think I would ever go anywhere else, so just have to settle.
9:34 here, actually I am COC, raised in it and very faithful. Though i think the one I go to is a little different because our elders are not "legalistic" or whatever.
Were you trying to be mean? I can't tell if you were trying to mean or nice to me.
i too am a little shocked! i thought nearly everyone waiting to have sex until they were married!!!! i can't imagine anyone I know at my church having an affair.
I've gone to the church of Christ my entire life. As has my husband. Since we've moved out of the Bible Belt we've started attending a Community church. Their are only 2 CofC's in our city and they are very conservative in a "we're the only ones who have it right" way. We visited lots of other churches and I have to admit I was really surprised to see how much other denominations are similar in their core beliefs to the church of Christ.
Church of Christ my whole life. My husband wasn't raised anything, and a friend started taking him to a C of C. He then started taking himself to church. I don't have super conservative beliefs about c of c hot button topics, and usually have more liberal tendancies. What keeps us where we are are our friends, kid's classes, and the people in general.
Does anyone go to any other church besides Church of Christ??? With a church on every corner in the state of Oklahoma, is there no other denomination represented? I was raised Baptist and my husband did not attend church growing up. We still believe in God and feel that we don't have to attend a church each week to raise our children to believe in and know God. We have several Bibles in our house and do read them.
I am baptist, raised in a baptist church. My husband was raised in a Catholic church. Shortly before we got married, he gave his life to the Lord and we have gone to a baptist church since.
I was saved going to a Baptist church with a friend when I was 13. My husband and I go to a non-denominational church. I don't think I could ever go to a church that has "rules and regulations" that are not in the bible...no insturments for worship, you can't get married in our church unless you are of our religion, you can't get married in this church unless you are in "good standing" with the church i.e. you have to tithe to us for 6 months.
I love the fellowship that church provides, but I don't like the religion that man has incorporated.
i'm church of christ and was raised that way. i had an affair and probably go to church with you. but it is that closed-minded attitude that keeps people weighed down with shame and sin.
everyone makes mistakes and EVERYONE sins. however, there are just some sins that have a worse stigma than others.
This website has been great for me to know that i'm not a bad person and that others have fallen and struggle too.
It was definitley my core values and Jesus that saved my marriage and for that I am greatful! Church should be a place for sinners(again, that's ALL of us) to find refuge, not a place to be judged.
Ok I guess I found this blog from someone that is church of christ. This is making me laugh.
I was raised in the presbyterian church, and am now non-denom. I do not like legalism. I think it is about a relationship and not a religion.
And to 9:34 you sound about as self righteous as I was until recently when the Lord showed me that He loves all the same even if we think we need to do all things right or not.
He has shown mercy on my life even when I placed myself higher then those that had chosen to make worse decisions.
Just being honest, but you have come across as being very rude.
She/he was just saying that she/he had the picture that COC members don't make big mistakes. She/he even added that she was not perfect and that you are forgiven.
I don't the she/he was judging you at all.
I think your response could have been a little nicer, you seem to be very bitter.
I am very sorry if you feel judged, but she/he was not judging you and you shouldn't take it out one someone who wasn't judging you.
12:40, why don't you attend church? You can 'show' your kids, but really should lead by example!
I hate when people say C of C are the only ones going to Heaven. I believe that if you are truly doing your best, God will judge you righteously, not based on what church you attend!
I also hate when people think they don't have to go to church to get to Heaven. My parents and son were killed in a car accident and I know they are in Heaven, they were ALWAYS at church and very good Christians. I hate when someone says, oh, Uncle so and so is happy in Heaven bc he was a nice guy despite being a drunk! UM! NO!! I'm not working my butt of being a good Christian and doing the right things so others can coat tail!
9:34 - I am shocked you are shocked. I love the C of C, but one thing that bothers me is that we are so quiet and don't share our struggles. The preacher at my church gives convicting sermons EACH week, the front pews should be filled with people asking for prayers but we rarely have people come forward. Fear and judgement from others in the church are what stops them.
12:40 - Church is more than learning about the bible. Anyone can quote scripture (ie. Satan!) It's also about being a part of the body of Christ. Being a part of a family. Recently one of my parents was put in the hospital and had surgery. Almost 100 people from our church stopped by the hospital over the three week stay. Do you know how encouraging that was? Do you know nurses came in and asked us where we were attending church? People are hungry to belong, to be a part of something bigger and better! If you ever want to be a part of something like that you can call me. This might be blowing the entire site but I would encourage you to call me and I'll tell you more about my church and what being a part of a Church FAMILY is like! I'd love to have you and your husband & kids come visit with us. Let me know... 523-2162 x323
Raised Southern Baptist, married a children's minister and was burnt by a staff who left no room for deviation from their ideals of what is right. It took a while to heal and then there was just always something and now, 3 years later we still haven't found a new home.
here i am--the lone Catholic. Cradle Catholic too. Husband raised Catholic but his parents quit going when he was young. He has been going with me for years and our children are baptized Catholic.
I'm just wondering how many of you know each other? It seems like most of you go to the same church.
Anyway, my husband and I are of different faiths. We are struggling to find a commond ground. I want us to worship together and I want our future children to know Christ please keep us in your prayers.
5:41 am -- the "shocked girl" here ---- my church offers invitation, but we also do something a little different each Sunday, where all of the elders, along with their wives, stand in different areas of the auditorium during a song.
Then if you are needing someone to pray with you, you can go to one of the elders (along with his wife) and they can pray with you.
Also two of the elders meet in a room every Wednesday night where you can go to them..
i think my head is about to explode from all of this. I was not raised as a Christian, but attended a Church of Christ for about 9 or 10 years. My husband was raised in a Christian home and has always gone to non-denominational Bible churches. We currently attend a non-denominational Bible church and LOVE it. It is not perfect, because it is made up of people. But every sunday we hear about Jesus, how much He loves us and what He's done for us. I love the Church of Christ for the Bible knowledge I received and the people there who helped build the foundation of my faith. Now that I am on the outside looking in though, my heart hurts for some of the churches because of the legalism that is choking the Gospel, and Jesus, right out the front door.
I know that each of your are more complicated and intricate than the comments you leave on this blog, but I am honestly terrified at some of the things that have been said. Please don't teach your children that church attendance is what matters. Please teach them that Jesus is what matters. You have not earned your salvation, there is nothing you can do to earn it. We are all sinners and Jesus came to save the lost just as a doctor comes to heal the sick.
For those of you that are die-hard cofc, I encourage you to learn about Christianity OUTSIDE the cofc.
Remember that Jesus is the head of the church. not your elders or ministers or staff. and the CHURCH are all those who have been saved by Christ, and that is not just the Church of Christ. your salvation is in Christ alone, not your works, your church or how much you read the Bible.
To 9:34 and 10:54.... you are the reasons that I chose not to go forward after the affair that I had. And after reading your comments, I am SO glad that I went with my gut-feeling, knowing that there were people like you, who would be judgemental instead of forgiving. How close-minded of you!! You think that just because we are under the umbrella of the CofC, that we are exempt from the temptation of the world??? As for the part of your comment that said "I was naive in thinking that our members don't do those kinds of things", I don't think that any of us set out with the goal of deliberately being disobedient to God. I made a VERY bad choice, and I will forever live with the guilt of it. But I didn't set out with the intention of "doing this kind of thing".
I don't understand how people I am sure believe themselves to be good Christians are so nasty on this blog. We are supposed to be loving and forgiving. I've been a part of the Church of Christ my whole life but I don't know if I can handle this much longer. There's so much of the doctrine I don't believe any more. I don't believe that just my church is going to heaven, I don't believe that people who use instruments in worship are going to hell. I'm tired of this. This is MAN-made doctrine. It has nothing to do with Christ. Sorry for the rant, but my heart is hurting. I just want to love and serve the lord.
4:12 I didn't feel as though my response was rude at all. that certainly wasn't my intention. i was stating my feelings from the other side. as for being bitter, that just isn't the case. I am a greatful believer in Jesus and am so glad that he was in my life to heal my husband and me.
3:59 No apology needed. Again, sorry if i came across rudely. I was only explaining my side in honesty just as you were. I think it is important for people to see other's views. thanks for being honest.
We currently both (hubby and I) go to a Methodist church. Hubby was raised C of C. I was raised Methodist. When choosing a church we aren't confined to any one denomination or another. We just look for the one that feels like the best fit. Some of you might be surprised how similar all the churches really are! We really like the Methodist view because they have very inclusive beliefs. The C of C has a lot we liked about it too.
We don't go to church. We are the church. The building we meet in has "church of Christ" on it's sign. I think a lot of us meeting in buildings like that will be surprised someday when we get to heaven and meet people who've spent their lives worshiping our creator and getting together with other believers in buildings with the words: baptist, methodist, first christian, community, etc on their sign.
I currently attend the C of C which is what my husband was raised in. I used to be Methodist. They really let me down during some very tough times in life but the C of C was there every step of the way.
Most of these questions are now submitted. Please feel free to submit your question and see how others feel. Email me here with a subject line of "Anonymous Truth"
51 comments:
church of christ, my entire life, yes, he also was raised c of c.
I have gone to a church of christ my entire life, as has my husband, but I have recently been feeling very discouraged with our congregation.
cof c my entire life, husband too.
Church of Christ....my whole life, and my husband too. Love it! I feel secure in my beliefs and my congregation.
c of c, entire life, husband too
Non-Denominational, I have gone there six years, my husband has gone there most of his life. (The only time he didn't go there was when we went to a different church for a while.)
church of Christ all my life, husband too. I always was told it was non-denominational, but now that there are churches with that in their title I feel like it is a denomination.
Church of Christ. My hubby got me going when I was 16. I was raised Roman Catholic, his entire family is C of C. I don't understand how anyone could go anywhere else. C of C is all about reading the Bible and following it! Read Wikipedia's C of C meaning, it was actually pretty good. I thought it would be totally off.
We have raised our kids C of C and are very strict with attendance. I say 'we', I am so lucky that he thinks it's as important as I do! I was actually released from the hospital, after child birth, on a Wed am and Wed nt we were in service! That was after a c-section!
c of c is a denomination, despite what they always say.
i've gone to c of c my whole life. my parents just changed to a christian church.
Church of Christ here too :)
For the person who is feeling discouraged - have you thought about talking with your elders?
I recently became friends with someone who goes to a Bible church and (at least it sounds like) it is alot like the COC. I don't think that only members of the COC are going to heaven
I must say I am SHOCKED that this is same blog were people have admitted to having sex before marriage, abortion and having affairs.
I am not perfect by any means of course though, but I guess I was a naive thinking members of the COC don't do those kinds of things.
(I hope this doesn't offend anyone - remember you are forgiven!)
I must say I am SHOCKED that this is same blog were people have admitted to having sex before marriage, abortion and having affairs.
I am not perfect by any means of course though, but I guess I was a naive thinking members of the COC don't do those kinds of things.
(I hope this doesn't offend anyone - remember you are forgiven!)
Remember YOU are forgiven as well, 9:34 AM
You are sinner just like the rest of us. Regardless of your religious affiliation.
Church of Christ - my husband was raised a Baptist. Do not think we are the only ones going to heaven. I wish there were a little more "joy" in our services, but speaking to our elders is not productive. They are mostly standard, legalistic people. I love them - I respect them, but feel we are losing people because of their worship ethics. I don't think I would ever go anywhere else, so just have to settle.
9:44 AM --
9:34 here, actually I am COC, raised in it and very faithful. Though i think the one I go to is a little different because our elders are not "legalistic" or whatever.
Were you trying to be mean? I can't tell if you were trying to mean or nice to me.
i too am a little shocked! i thought nearly everyone waiting to have sex until they were married!!!! i can't imagine anyone I know at my church having an affair.
I've gone to the church of Christ my entire life. As has my husband. Since we've moved out of the Bible Belt we've started attending a Community church. Their are only 2 CofC's in our city and they are very conservative in a "we're the only ones who have it right" way. We visited lots of other churches and I have to admit I was really surprised to see how much other denominations are similar in their core beliefs to the church of Christ.
Church of Christ my whole life. My husband wasn't raised anything, and a friend started taking him to a C of C. He then started taking himself to church. I don't have super conservative beliefs about c of c hot button topics, and usually have more liberal tendancies. What keeps us where we are are our friends, kid's classes, and the people in general.
Does anyone go to any other church besides Church of Christ??? With a church on every corner in the state of Oklahoma, is there no other denomination represented? I was raised Baptist and my husband did not attend church growing up. We still believe in God and feel that we don't have to attend a church each week to raise our children to believe in and know God. We have several Bibles in our house and do read them.
9:34 AM & 10:54 AM-
As a single person-it's hard to find someone that hasn't already had sex. And yes that does include the CofC people as well.
I attend Church of Christ
I am baptist, raised in a baptist church. My husband was raised in a Catholic church. Shortly before we got married, he gave his life to the Lord and we have gone to a baptist church since.
Going to church doesn't mean that you are not human. You make mistakes.
And being a Christian does not make you imune to affairs.
You can be "raised right" and have a strong core belief system, but if you give satan an open window he will try to take your house down!
I was not raised in church.
My husband was.
I was saved going to a Baptist church with a friend when I was 13.
My husband and I go to a non-denominational church. I don't think I could ever go to a church that has "rules and regulations" that are not in the bible...no insturments for worship, you can't get married in our church unless you are of our religion, you can't get married in this church unless you are in "good standing" with the church i.e. you have to tithe to us for 6 months.
I love the fellowship that church provides, but I don't like the religion that man has incorporated.
i'm church of christ and was raised that way. i had an affair and probably go to church with you. but it is that closed-minded attitude that keeps people weighed down with shame and sin.
everyone makes mistakes and EVERYONE sins. however, there are just some sins that have a worse stigma than others.
This website has been great for me to know that i'm not a bad person and that others have fallen and struggle too.
It was definitley my core values and Jesus that saved my marriage and for that I am greatful! Church should be a place for sinners(again, that's ALL of us) to find refuge, not a place to be judged.
Ok I guess I found this blog from someone that is church of christ. This is making me laugh.
I was raised in the presbyterian church, and am now non-denom. I do not like legalism. I think it is about a relationship and not a religion.
And to 9:34 you sound about as self righteous as I was until recently when the Lord showed me that He loves all the same even if we think we need to do all things right or not.
He has shown mercy on my life even when I placed myself higher then those that had chosen to make worse decisions.
Oh and I my husband and I both attend a non-denom
3:40 --- I'm sorry I came across as close minded, please accept my apology.
I am not from Oklahoma, and I guess I just am really naive.
I agree that church is definitely like a hospital for the sick and ALL are welcome.
I'm sorry. (((HUGS)))
3:40 PM :
Just being honest, but you have come across as being very rude.
She/he was just saying that she/he had the picture that COC members don't make big mistakes. She/he even added that she was not perfect and that you are forgiven.
I don't the she/he was judging you at all.
I think your response could have been a little nicer, you seem to be very bitter.
I am very sorry if you feel judged, but she/he was not judging you and you shouldn't take it out one someone who wasn't judging you.
12:40, why don't you attend church? You can 'show' your kids, but really should lead by example!
I hate when people say C of C are the only ones going to Heaven. I believe that if you are truly doing your best, God will judge you righteously, not based on what church you attend!
I also hate when people think they don't have to go to church to get to Heaven. My parents and son were killed in a car accident and I know they are in Heaven, they were ALWAYS at church and very good Christians. I hate when someone says, oh, Uncle so and so is happy in Heaven bc he was a nice guy despite being a drunk! UM! NO!! I'm not working my butt of being a good Christian and doing the right things so others can coat tail!
You do not go to Heaven because of your works. You go to Heaven if you have made Jesus the Lord of your life!
9:34 - I am shocked you are shocked. I love the C of C, but one thing that bothers me is that we are so quiet and don't share our struggles. The preacher at my church gives convicting sermons EACH week, the front pews should be filled with people asking for prayers but we rarely have people come forward. Fear and judgement from others in the church are what stops them.
12:40 - Church is more than learning about the bible. Anyone can quote scripture (ie. Satan!) It's also about being a part of the body of Christ. Being a part of a family. Recently one of my parents was put in the hospital and had surgery. Almost 100 people from our church stopped by the hospital over the three week stay. Do you know how encouraging that was? Do you know nurses came in and asked us where we were attending church? People are hungry to belong, to be a part of something bigger and better! If you ever want to be a part of something like that you can call me. This might be blowing the entire site but I would encourage you to call me and I'll tell you more about my church and what being a part of a Church FAMILY is like! I'd love to have you and your husband & kids come visit with us. Let me know... 523-2162 x323
Raised Southern Baptist, married a children's minister and was burnt by a staff who left no room for deviation from their ideals of what is right. It took a while to heal and then there was just always something and now, 3 years later we still haven't found a new home.
Church of Christ, all my life, yes, he does (all his life too).
coC, all my life. My husband was raised coC as well, but has recently quit going because "we are all hypocrits"...very frustating at home right now.
here i am--the lone Catholic. Cradle Catholic too. Husband raised Catholic but his parents quit going when he was young. He has been going with me for years and our children are baptized Catholic.
Raised CoC ,Husband was too. We still attend very faithfully.
both are c of c'ers born and bred...still go...we know nothing else but i wonder about it all.
we went to the ICOC for a while, and we are SO THANKFUL we don't anymore.
Now we are at a great, but flawed, cofC with godly, but flawed, elders, and we love it.
I'm just wondering how many of you know each other? It seems like most of you go to the same church.
Anyway, my husband and I are of different faiths. We are struggling to find a commond ground. I want us to worship together and I want our future children to know Christ please keep us in your prayers.
5:41 - do you ever hit up the first few rows? Do you ever go up and ask for prayers?
5:41 am -- the "shocked girl" here ---- my church offers invitation, but we also do something a little different each Sunday, where all of the elders, along with their wives, stand in different areas of the auditorium during a song.
Then if you are needing someone to pray with you, you can go to one of the elders (along with his wife) and they can pray with you.
Also two of the elders meet in a room every Wednesday night where you can go to them..
And I do go to a very, very conservative church.
7:28
your church doesn't sound too conservative if the elders' wives also stand around to receive people for prayer.
that's pretty forward thinking for such a traditional denomination
i think my head is about to explode from all of this. I was not raised as a Christian, but attended a Church of Christ for about 9 or 10 years. My husband was raised in a Christian home and has always gone to non-denominational Bible churches. We currently attend a non-denominational Bible church and LOVE it. It is not perfect, because it is made up of people. But every sunday we hear about Jesus, how much He loves us and what He's done for us. I love the Church of Christ for the Bible knowledge I received and the people there who helped build the foundation of my faith. Now that I am on the outside looking in though, my heart hurts for some of the churches because of the legalism that is choking the Gospel, and Jesus, right out the front door.
I know that each of your are more complicated and intricate than the comments you leave on this blog, but I am honestly terrified at some of the things that have been said. Please don't teach your children that church attendance is what matters. Please teach them that Jesus is what matters. You have not earned your salvation, there is nothing you can do to earn it. We are all sinners and Jesus came to save the lost just as a doctor comes to heal the sick.
For those of you that are die-hard cofc, I encourage you to learn about Christianity OUTSIDE the cofc.
Remember that Jesus is the head of the church. not your elders or ministers or staff. and the CHURCH are all those who have been saved by Christ, and that is not just the Church of Christ. your salvation is in Christ alone, not your works, your church or how much you read the Bible.
To 9:34 and 10:54....
you are the reasons that I chose not to go forward after the affair that I had. And after reading your comments, I am SO glad that I went with my gut-feeling, knowing that there were people like you, who would be judgemental instead of forgiving. How close-minded of you!! You think that just because we are under the umbrella of the CofC, that we are exempt from the temptation of the world??? As for the part of your comment that said "I was naive in thinking that our members don't do those kinds of things", I don't think that any of us set out with the goal of deliberately being disobedient to God. I made a VERY bad choice, and I will forever live with the guilt of it. But I didn't set out with the intention of "doing this kind of thing".
Amen, case closed!!!
Please don't live with the guilt of the affair. You have repented. God has forgiven you. He has removed it. Don't let the enemy give you guilt.
I don't understand how people I am sure believe themselves to be good Christians are so nasty on this blog. We are supposed to be loving and forgiving. I've been a part of the Church of Christ my whole life but I don't know if I can handle this much longer. There's so much of the doctrine I don't believe any more. I don't believe that just my church is going to heaven, I don't believe that people who use instruments in worship are going to hell. I'm tired of this. This is MAN-made doctrine. It has nothing to do with Christ. Sorry for the rant, but my heart is hurting. I just want to love and serve the lord.
4:12
I didn't feel as though my response was rude at all. that certainly wasn't my intention. i was stating my feelings from the other side. as for being bitter, that just isn't the case. I am a greatful believer in Jesus and am so glad that he was in my life to heal my husband and me.
3:59
No apology needed. Again, sorry if i came across rudely. I was only explaining my side in honesty just as you were. I think it is important for people to see other's views. thanks for being honest.
We currently both (hubby and I) go to a Methodist church. Hubby was raised C of C. I was raised Methodist. When choosing a church we aren't confined to any one denomination or another. We just look for the one that feels like the best fit. Some of you might be surprised how similar all the churches really are! We really like the Methodist view because they have very inclusive beliefs. The C of C has a lot we liked about it too.
We don't go to church. We are the church. The building we meet in has "church of Christ" on it's sign. I think a lot of us meeting in buildings like that will be surprised someday when we get to heaven and meet people who've spent their lives worshiping our creator and getting together with other believers in buildings with the words: baptist, methodist, first christian, community, etc on their sign.
I currently attend the C of C which is what my husband was raised in. I used to be Methodist. They really let me down during some very tough times in life but the C of C was there every step of the way.
Post a Comment