Tuesday, February 24, 2009

How diversified is your circle of friends?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

My close friends are pretty much all similar. My friends thru work are MUCH different! These aren't people I socialize with much outside of work. There's sex, drugs, 3-somes, abortions, people who have been divorced 3 & 4 times, bankruptcy, lying, cheating, homosexual lifestyles, etc...it's MUCH different than the norm for me! BUT it is also probably the first time in my life I have seen REAL life and seen that not everyone is just alike. It's often scary AND eye-opening!

Anonymous said...

I don't have a close circle of friends that I do stuff with all the time (sad, I know), but my aquaintances are all similiar, white, stay-at-home, church-going, younger moms.

Anonymous said...

A quick glance at my Facebook friends would reveal Christians and Agnostics, Democrats and Republicans, some white ones, some brown ones, ministers and gays, stay-at-home moms and people who will never settle down, for a start. I disagree with all of them sometimes but having a diverse group of friends makes life much more interesting.

One of the things I hated about living in Edmond/NW OKC was how everyone was the same, especially at church.

Anonymous said...

This is something I am trying to change about myself. It seems like all my friends are white, religious (mostly CofC),have good jobs, and same government beliefs.
I would really like to see more diversity in my friendships.
How can we be better Christians if we just surround ourselves with Christians?

Anonymous said...

My close friends are very different, politically, than I am but look the same. My extended friends are much more diverse: black, brown, MBA's, PHD's, men, women, single and married. I have much more fun when I hang out with my extended group of friends.

Anonymous said...

6:26, I don't have a 'close circle of friends' either! It's not sad, my husband and kids are all I need. But, my friends are so different! A lot of them don't like eachother. It's hard to be friends with all of them, but we make it work. When we have parties we just have to choose certain friends to invite to certain celebrations!

Anonymous said...

My circle of friends is very diverse. I am very happy that I have friends from all walks of life.

I have friends that are rich, poor, straight as a arrow, partiers, well know, no bodies, church goers, non-church goers and everything in between.

They all teach me how to minister to others.They make me a better person.

Anonymous said...

I say this because this is anonymous, I struggle with having any use for people I consider to be closed-minded, do-it-the-way-it's-always-been-done-without-question kind of people.
And yes, I know that makes me kind of hypocritical and closed-minded myself.
Although we might be "friends," I probably don't have much to do with you if I think you are a lemming.
I like people who can have a spirited debate, and who can back up what they have to say.

Still, having said that, as far as thought diversity goes, my closest friends are not a very diverse group.

And by the way, when I was in college, I was told, "How can you call yourself a Christian and vote for Clinton?" I was an OUTCAST (not with the people who mattered most to me) for diverse thinking.

My guess is most people have fairly homogenous friends.

Anonymous said...

Does facebook really count as a fair representation of friends? I have over 250 "friends" in facebook. I don't really count 95% in my circle of friends.

That having been said, most of my friends look alike and think alike and believe alike.

I do wish that were different.

Anonymous said...

I don't live in Edmond and if you look around my church auditorium you will see diversity. I am not saying all my church family is my "close circle of friends", but I feel so blessed to be in a body of believers that welcomes everyone--no matter ethnicity, socio-economic status, political beliefs...and I think that people really feel welcome there. I don't live in that Christian College "bubble" anymore and I feel that I have more of an opportunity for diverse friendships. But I do think it is natural to gravitate to people you are most similar to for those close, deep relationships.

Anonymous said...

I am blessed with many friends of all ages, colors, religions and political affiliations. It has made me a better person. I enjoy older people and younger people. When I stay in a group of my own age - my world becomes very limited. Sometimes we just have to agree to disagree. I have a real problem when someone tells me how I should worship, how I should vote, or try to determine my priorites for me. The bubble needs bursting in a lot of churches and colleges.

Anonymous said...

My close friends are very similar to me. I had some friends in college that weren't anything like me but we still had a great time together. I think the final ending point of those relationships was the homosexuality (sometimes within the group) and agnosticism.