Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Have you ever done something to your child that you regret?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spanking them. They are still little but I always regret spanking them! Looking back, it looked out of control and wrong to me. I never hurt them, just a swat, but the look on their faces was enough to make me never want to 'hit' my kids again.

Not to start a post on spanking! Just for me, I regret it!

Anonymous said...

I popped my child in the mouth before, not slapped but popped it hard, and I felt horrible. The look on their face was something I will never get out of my head. I felt totally out of control. I will never do that again!

Anonymous said...

Not really a regret but there was this one thing I wish I could change though. When my daughter was maybe 4 years old. I got so mad at her for messing up her room. I walked in and stepped on her Barbie doll. I picked it up and threw it at the wall where the book shelves are. I guess I was kind of mad bc it actually went into the drywall and left a big hole!! I couldn't believe it. It scared her to death, and I just couldn't stop laughing. I'll never forget her face, she didn't know what to think!

Anonymous said...

i once swatted my son and he called me a maniac. i lost my temper and spanked him, saying, " you want a maniac, i'll show you a maniac. then i apologized, but i should never have reacted in anger like that. it taught me to never react in anger to my children.

Anonymous said...

I spanked my oldest too much, believing--at the time--that it was the right course of action. However, I now see that, for him, spanking is not an effective punishment. I wish I'd been wiser or more experienced then and seen that.

Anonymous said...

So is there anyone here who doesn't think Spanking is bad?? We spank and I believe it is necessary at times. There is a difference between spanking and hitting.

Anonymous said...

I have spanked in control and I have spanked out of control.

In control = good
Out of control = bad

Those are the times I regret.

Anonymous said...

We spank. We often us a paddle. The Bible says "spare the rod hate your child." And yes the original translation says hate not spoil.

I did notice that when we started to use a paddle instead of our hands it made me not spank out of anger. I have time to calm down when I have to walk away and get the paddle.

Anonymous said...

There are many times that I wish I kept my cool with my children. I have used bad words. I have grabed my son's arm too hard.

Anonymous said...

Someone once told me that when you spank with an 'object' and not your hand, that you differenciate between 'mommy hitting' and 'mommy spanking.' I really agree with that. Although, I don't always have a wooden spoon handy!

I use the really cheap wooden spoons and I never spank when I don't feel in control. But those break easily and it makes me feel like I can't really hurt them, just wake them up a bit. I do not agree with belts or anything rough though.

Anonymous said...

It's so interesting to me what people are comfortable with in the area of child discipline.

I don't regret spanking my children. I think it's the right thing to do, as long as it's done "in control" as someone wisely pointed out.

What I regret is every time I yelled or was sarcastic with my kids. It's a hard cycle to break.