Thursday, October 30, 2008

What disasters have you survived? Did that affect your life positively or negatively?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicholas Wolterstorff wrote in Lament for My Son: "I shall look at the world through tears. Perhaps I shall see things that dry-eyed I could not see." Hope distills tragedy and refines us. Our truest nature endures. In this world you will have trouble. Jesus promised it- and also promised our overcoming.

Anonymous said...

When I was 17 my dad had a heart attack in front of me. Seeing your "big strong dad" laying down on the groud turning blue, foaming at the mouth and other not so pleasent things is a picture I will NEVER get out of my head. It was one of the scariest moments of my life. The fact that he died less than an hour later and we were never able to say goodbye has affected me very negatively. Still all these years later I still have so much anger about it and I a so jealous of other girls/women who still have their dads.
However I feel that since it happened to me I am able to comfort some of my other friends when it happens to them. No one truely understands what you are going through.

Anonymous said...

Not sure what you mean by a disaster. A natural disaster or a life event disaster.

A life disaster would be finding out that my spouse was cheating on me. This had a negative affect on me. After years of working on recovery from this it now has a positive affect on me to work with others in support group.

Anonymous said...

in the middle of it, i'll let you know!

Anonymous said...

What seemed like a disaster at the time was losing my job. But it turned out to be a good thing since I found out later I was pregnant. My husband and I both agreed that I should stay home.

Anonymous said...

I lost 4 of the 5 most important people in my life within a year either through death or life circumstances. I didn't want to survive. Over time I learned to accept it and move on. It some ways it made me stronger...I know there isn't anything I can't get through. But it also left some scars that I'm still trying to heal from.