This is an experiment to see how honest people can be if they don't have to identify themselves. Some silly, some deep, but all require honesty.
Wednesday, October 1, 2008
Mentor
Do you have a mentor?
If so, what qualities did you look for when choosing one? If not, what do you think that relationship would look like?
5 comments:
Anonymous
said...
From a different angle, my husband and I have been a mentor for our "little" brother through Big Brothers and Sisters for the past 5 years. It is such a rewarding experience. He has latched onto us and it is great that he has another set of adults to talk to and bond with. He will be 16 this month so we have seen lots of changes in him. He is a great kid that just needs some more attention. And it has been awesome to see him interact with our daughter.
You were an incredible mentor to me! I think of you with such great fondness and fantastic memories. You help shaped me into who I am today. Every time I think of my college days I ALWAYS think of you. Every time I'm in my home state I think about you...each and EVERY time.
I don't think you have any idea how much you meant to me and how much I'll always think of you throughout my life.
Now, I know that wasn't the point of today's comments, but I started to leave a different comment and thought, "How nice would it be to tell someone who was a mentor to us exactly how much they meant/mean to us?"
I think you're fantastic and you make me smile! (You can figure out who I am and I don't mind, but I thought I'd stick to anonymous since that's the rule.)
I can't top that last post, but I will answer the question.
I have several women that I look up to. I seek their advice on different issues and watch them for guidance.
That having been said, I have spent years trying to be like some of the Godly women I know. I realize now that those women, wonderful as they are, are mostly very different from me. I am attracted to those with gentle spirits and quiet natures. I am not. In choosing them as "mentors" I often felt like a failure because I couldn't be who they are. I know realize I need to learn from those women, but now necessarily try to immulate their lifestyles.
I feel much more peaceful in my spiritual walk as a result.
My mentor knows more about the bible than I do. She is older than me by only a handful (or two) of years, but never makes we rarely feel the age difference. She is an excelent Christian example.
Most of these questions are now submitted. Please feel free to submit your question and see how others feel. Email me here with a subject line of "Anonymous Truth"
5 comments:
From a different angle, my husband and I have been a mentor for our "little" brother through Big Brothers and Sisters for the past 5 years. It is such a rewarding experience. He has latched onto us and it is great that he has another set of adults to talk to and bond with. He will be 16 this month so we have seen lots of changes in him. He is a great kid that just needs some more attention. And it has been awesome to see him interact with our daughter.
To the creator of this blog:
You were an incredible mentor to me! I think of you with such great fondness and fantastic memories. You help shaped me into who I am today. Every time I think of my college days I ALWAYS think of you. Every time I'm in my home state I think about you...each and EVERY time.
I don't think you have any idea how much you meant to me and how much I'll always think of you throughout my life.
Now, I know that wasn't the point of today's comments, but I started to leave a different comment and thought, "How nice would it be to tell someone who was a mentor to us exactly how much they meant/mean to us?"
I think you're fantastic and you make me smile! (You can figure out who I am and I don't mind, but I thought I'd stick to anonymous since that's the rule.)
I can't top that last post, but I will answer the question.
I have several women that I look up to. I seek their advice on different issues and watch them for guidance.
That having been said, I have spent years trying to be like some of the Godly women I know. I realize now that those women, wonderful as they are, are mostly very different from me. I am attracted to those with gentle spirits and quiet natures. I am not. In choosing them as "mentors" I often felt like a failure because I couldn't be who they are. I know realize I need to learn from those women, but now necessarily try to immulate their lifestyles.
I feel much more peaceful in my spiritual walk as a result.
Most of my mentors have been women at church. Usually older women and I've never gone out to seek a mentor, they just become that.
My mentor knows more about the bible than I do. She is older than me by only a handful (or two) of years, but never makes we rarely feel the age difference. She is an excelent Christian example.
Post a Comment