Wednesday, October 15, 2008

It's the most wonderful time of the year...

What do you dread about Christmas?

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate how many gifts my kids get from other people, like relatives.

Anonymous said...

I don't even get Christmas. What do I teach my kids? Is it all about Santa or all about Jesus?

Anonymous said...

Being with my family. It is so stressful. I would much rather just be with my husband and children.

Anonymous said...

Nothing. I have all of my shopping done way beforehand and I tell everyone that if they want to see us, they can come to our house. I don't try to make everyone happy anymore. I just make me, my husband and kids happy. This way I can enjoy the true meaning of the season.

Anonymous said...

I hate that there is nothing special about it anymore. I used to love Christmas because we spent it with all of our family, but now it's just me and my mom. My brother and sister-in-law come over for breakfast and we do gifts with them and then they leave to spend the day with her family. It's just another day. On the plus side, I very few gifts to purchase.

Anonymous said...

Commercialism and shopping. But I hate to shop no matter what time of year it is.

Anonymous said...

shopping.

Anonymous said...

I don't like exchanging gift cards. With one hand I am handing a gift card to a family member and at the same time they are handing one to me.
ENOUGH
But the gift card is easier than trying to think of something to give and getting something you don't need.

I like post #2's question. "Is it all about Santa or all about Jesus?"
It's about Peace, Joy, Love, and Hope. The idea of Christmas should be practiced everyday.

Anonymous said...

The stress.
Of the whole event.

But I do love the warmth that I get when I think of Christmas' from my childhood. I hope my children will have that experience to look back on when the holidays sometimes feel overwhelming.

And I hate that Thanksgiving is completely overshadowed by Christmas.

Anonymous said...

i would rather the money spent on me be given to someone who really needs help, who struggles to put food on the table and clothes on their children. i have so much and then i get things that i do not want. i love being with my family and neat traditions we have, but the gifts really bother me.

Anonymous said...

Traveling to visit relatives.

Anonymous said...

Having a bro and sis in law that give us all $5 crap gifts and then spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on themselves and their kids and we are expected to sit and watch while they open it all.

Anonymous said...

I hate that I hate the season. I don't know what it is like in other countries, but I believe the true meaning of the holiday has been lost to commercialism. I hate that I'm expected to give gifts that cost certain amounts, I hate that my kids are learning from grandparents that Christmas is about getting stuff, and I hate that the time with family feels more like a competition of what food you made/what gift you brought/what clothes you're wearing.

Ba-hum-bug.

Anonymous said...

With young children I love the magic they still expierience looking at lights and giving gifts. They aren't in the 'ME' stage yet. I'm sure that will soon come...
I dread the inner struggle with myself of wanting to give gifts that I can't really afford. AND having to make the 'apperance' at my in-laws house. We hardly ever spend time with them but all of a sudden at the holidays they smack on pretend faces of 'family time' and we go play the part for the evening....so fake and I despise it.

Anonymous said...

The only thing I really don't like about the holidays is being made to feel guilty about not giving to every cause out there because "after all, sir, it's Christmas." After (and I really mean this) gladly giving gifts to kids, parents, grandparents, siblings, their spouses, cousins, kids' teachers, teachers' assistants, coworkers, my wife's coworkers and special friends--I just don't want to give to the Fraternal Order of the Police/Firefighters/Nurses/Dog Walkers/Brick layers/Left-handed one-legged Banjo Players. Even if they do give teddy bears to kids of families that have been affected by high cable TV bills! Does anyone else feel my pain?

Anonymous said...

Yes, #15, I feel your pain. Does anyone else get tired of the ringing bells at Wal-Mart and Hobbly Lobby? The only reason I drop pennies in their buckets is so my kids can see me giving, because they need to know it is important to give. But all the in-your-face-give-to-our-cause stuff at that time of year is tiresome!

Anonymous said...

Family. People think its great, and I suppose it depends on your family. Both my parents and my husband's parents do nothing but make us anxious and upset. It is better just us and our son.

Anonymous said...

I hate how quickly it is over. You spend so much time and thought trying to make it special for everyone, then we eat, rip through our gifts, and it's over in like 5 minutes. There is so much stress leading up to it, I just wish I could enjoy it more.