This is an experiment to see how honest people can be if they don't have to identify themselves. Some silly, some deep, but all require honesty.
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
How do you feel about homeschooling vs. public or private school?
22 comments:
Anonymous
said...
The ideal place I would want to send my kids is a private christian school that separates the boys and girls for the main subjects, but then have classes like music, art, etc together and have lunch and reccess together.
I have always said I don't not want to homeschool my kids. However, if schools keep going downhill and the Presidents enforces things to make them even worse, I would consider it more. For example, if he forces me to send my kids to public preschool-I will definately be "homeschooling" them for preschool. I think I could a decent job up until the high school years; it would be a ton of work though. I don't believe that all homeschool kids are social weirdos. Some of those kids would of been social weirdos no matter what school they were in. Nowadays there are plenty of social activities you can put homeschool kids in.
I used to think that homeschool was a horrible idea for kids. I felt the kids would not receive the proper social aspect of attending school; which would lead them to be socially awkward. But now, I think homeschool might not be such a bad idea. Recently, I have discovered that more parents are homeschooling and lots of homeschool sports/music programs are around for children.
The most important thing is to investigate your child's education! No matter if you decide on homeschool, public, or private. The public schools might be better if parents took the time to see what was happening in their child's school; instead, of relying on teachers to do everything. (Not saying anyone on this site is relying on a teacher to do everything)
For homeschool, it is just tricky. You would have to be committed to all aspects of that childs development, more than just learning to read. That is a big committment for a mom/dad on top of just being mom/dad. I think at the highschool age, it is best for them not to be homeschooled. They need the interaction with friends not on sporatic basis and by then, there should be a firm foundation you have given them. And unless we all can readily teach calculus, something would have had to been outsourced anyway. I will probably choose private for my kids, the same private school I went to. If I was living in a better school district, it would be a different story.
I would totally homeschool if I felt I could do it!
I know lots of kids that have been homeschooled and I went to private adn public schools- our education and knowledge is no different. They learned the same things I did.
Where we are currently living there is an excellent school. If we were living somewhere where the schools were way below par I would only then consider homeschooling.
I personally could not nor would want to homeschool my kids. I don't feel that I could give them the proper education that a public or private school could. Plus, they would miss lots of interaction with other children. That being said, I have no problem with those that do homeschool their kids.
I am a better parent by not homeschooling my children. I have so many flaws, lack of patience being one of them. If I homeschooled during the day, I wouldn't want to be around them in the evening, and that wouldn't be fair to them or my husband.
Is it bad when I am irratated when people say "I am a better parent for sending them away." Either to daycare or some other realative to take care of during the day while you work or even in this case homeschooling? UGh.. It is so annoying, why freaking have kids if you are a better parent for shipping them off to someone else. I am not against public school at all, I just get irratated when people say stuff like that. (Also, I am all for having a break once in awhile)
We don't live in an ideal world. Ideally, moms could stay at home with their children while dads worked. I have to work, to provide additional income for our family. However, I count it a blessing, as it provides time for me away from my children, and when I get home, I can give my family my best. If I were with them all day, I wouldn't be able to give my best 24/7. It is a fact.
It seems that 9:52 misunderstood my first comment. I love my children. I don't send them off to someone else's care because I don't love them. However, if I were with them 24/7, I would have to send them off so that I could regroup in order to continue giving my best.
Isn't it better for me to recognize this than to stay at home with them and risk being driven into a deep depression or pushed to the point of putting them in front of the TV all day?
My situation is a much better alternative, and I feel blessed to have healthy happy children, and a wonderful job.
When I look back on my life, having a job outside the home will not be a regret of mine.
I think the "weird" factor for home schooling is changing. Mothers who home school are almost starting little private schools with other moms who do the same. Kids are getting out more and getting involved with others who do the same.
In our home my husband won't allow home schooling due to the fact that he's seen me do math....and the lack there of. I maybe could get them to the 3rd grade.....maybe!
I have a friend who home schools her 6 children. They are bright and wonderful and GREAT kids. She seems calm, and always seems like she has it together! It works for some people...she loves it and their kids are doing GREAT! To each his own!
OH BROTHER. Here's my big problem with home schooling: people who have NO TRAINING in teaching are able to teach their kids and act like it is a superior option. I think parents should supplement their kids' education by providing lots of world experiences. And if you are a credentialed teacher and choose to homeschool, then good for you. However, if you are not, then please DON'T.
And by the way, my experience with homeschooled kids is that the majority are weird. Some turn out great, but many are weird. And when homeschooled kids try to enter public school when their parents have maxed out their abilities, the kids are not well-equipped.
Perhaps a good middle ground would be checking into your district's options for alternative ed, which can basically be independent study which your kids mostly complete at home, with the safety net of CREDENTIALED TEACHERS helping them along.
11:51 that is true that we don't have a master degree, but we are smart people and we focus all of our energy on our children. We don't just guess on what they are going to learn. We have very strict curriculums and follow them closely. We take strict test's and send them in to the state to make sure they are on track but on top of all that, we make everything we do educational! We also have a coop of home schoolers and we get together quite often so our kids get plenty of interaction. I believe it's all in who you are and how you do it. Some people are not good teachers and shouldn't teach their kids. Our kids play sports and go to church so they get tons of outside exposure too. There are weird home schooled kids out there, but look at their parents ;) LOL!
I may be late to respond to this question, but here goes anyway...I think homeschooling done right is a great idea. Unfortunately, I think too many people decide to homeschool because they are mad at the public school system and don't have the means to pay for private school. If all homeschooling parents were like poster 10:27, that would be awesome!! I am a former public school teacher, now momma to three kiddos...one who is in private school and another who will be starting Kinder next year. My 2nd grader would never allow me to teach him -- he likes to perform for others, not me. My daughter, who is starting K next year, loves to learn and will do wonderful if I homeschool. My youngest...she has already said that "Mommy cannot be her teacher". I think there are far too many issues to consider, and a child's personality may determine what environment is best for them.
10:05, I'm 10:27 and agree about the kid's personality. I have a 'showoff' kid and we do have to do things a little differently with him. He does more extra sports and things to help. My daughter sometimes wants help from my husband instead of me bc I've helped her all day, so it does get difficult sometimes.
We really don't have a problem with the school system here, it's really pretty good, but I like having more control over the things being taught, how they are taught, why they are taught certain things, etc, etc... I want my kids to know as much Bible as they do English, as much about the Civil War (it heavily affected our family) as they do the State we live in. Just little things. Their core education is the same though. The things we do are extra as far as sending in test's to the state and following good lesson plans. I wish there was a way to force parents to teach their kids and not get lazy when home schooling!
Most of these questions are now submitted. Please feel free to submit your question and see how others feel. Email me here with a subject line of "Anonymous Truth"
22 comments:
The ideal place I would want to send my kids is a private christian school that separates the boys and girls for the main subjects, but then have classes like music, art, etc together and have lunch and reccess together.
I have always said I don't not want to homeschool my kids. However, if schools keep going downhill and the Presidents enforces things to make them even worse, I would consider it more. For example, if he forces me to send my kids to public preschool-I will definately be "homeschooling" them for preschool. I think I could a decent job up until the high school years; it would be a ton of work though. I don't believe that all homeschool kids are social weirdos. Some of those kids would of been social weirdos no matter what school they were in. Nowadays there are plenty of social activities you can put homeschool kids in.
I used to think that homeschool was a horrible idea for kids.
I felt the kids would not receive the proper social aspect of attending school; which would lead them to be socially awkward. But now, I think homeschool might not be such a bad idea. Recently, I have discovered that more parents are homeschooling and lots of homeschool sports/music programs are around for children.
The most important thing is to investigate your child's education! No matter if you decide on homeschool, public, or private. The public schools might be better if parents took the time to see what was happening in their child's school; instead, of relying on teachers to do everything. (Not saying anyone on this site is relying on a teacher to do everything)
For homeschool, it is just tricky. You would have to be committed to all aspects of that childs development, more than just learning to read. That is a big committment for a mom/dad on top of just being mom/dad. I think at the highschool age, it is best for them not to be homeschooled. They need the interaction with friends not on sporatic basis and by then, there should be a firm foundation you have given them. And unless we all can readily teach calculus, something would have had to been outsourced anyway. I will probably choose private for my kids, the same private school I went to. If I was living in a better school district, it would be a different story.
I would totally homeschool if I felt I could do it!
I know lots of kids that have been homeschooled and I went to private adn public schools- our education and knowledge is no different. They learned the same things I did.
Where we are currently living there is an excellent school. If we were living somewhere where the schools were way below par I would only then consider homeschooling.
I personally could not nor would want to homeschool my kids. I don't feel that I could give them the proper education that a public or private school could. Plus, they would miss lots of interaction with other children. That being said, I have no problem with those that do homeschool their kids.
I am a better parent by not homeschooling my children. I have so many flaws, lack of patience being one of them. If I homeschooled during the day, I wouldn't want to be around them in the evening, and that wouldn't be fair to them or my husband.
I don't really like it, but that's the way it is.
Is it bad when I am irratated when people say "I am a better parent for sending them away." Either to daycare or some other realative to take care of during the day while you work or even in this case homeschooling? UGh.. It is so annoying, why freaking have kids if you are a better parent for shipping them off to someone else. I am not against public school at all, I just get irratated when people say stuff like that. (Also, I am all for having a break once in awhile)
I would love to homeschool my kids if I thought I could do it.
I would do whatever was best for my children. Public, private, homeschool, whatever. I would make it work
9:52...
Feeling a bit judgmental today?
have you ever met any home schooled kids? they are weird. no social skills...
9:41 here.
We don't live in an ideal world. Ideally, moms could stay at home with their children while dads worked. I have to work, to provide additional income for our family. However, I count it a blessing, as it provides time for me away from my children, and when I get home, I can give my family my best. If I were with them all day, I wouldn't be able to give my best 24/7. It is a fact.
It seems that 9:52 misunderstood my first comment. I love my children. I don't send them off to someone else's care because I don't love them. However, if I were with them 24/7, I would have to send them off so that I could regroup in order to continue giving my best.
Isn't it better for me to recognize this than to stay at home with them and risk being driven into a deep depression or pushed to the point of putting them in front of the TV all day?
My situation is a much better alternative, and I feel blessed to have healthy happy children, and a wonderful job.
When I look back on my life, having a job outside the home will not be a regret of mine.
Well, 9:41, I have an idea for a reader rally question now.
I think the "weird" factor for home schooling is changing. Mothers who home school are almost starting little private schools with other moms who do the same. Kids are getting out more and getting involved with others who do the same.
In our home my husband won't allow home schooling due to the fact that he's seen me do math....and the lack there of. I maybe could get them to the 3rd grade.....maybe!
I have a friend who home schools her 6 children. They are bright and wonderful and GREAT kids. She seems calm, and always seems like she has it together! It works for some people...she loves it and their kids are doing GREAT! To each his own!
Well, I can't even get my little boy to poop on the potty, so the likelihood of me provide a good quality education is pretty much not there.........
9:41 answer is great - I agree
OH BROTHER.
Here's my big problem with home schooling: people who have NO TRAINING in teaching are able to teach their kids and act like it is a superior option.
I think parents should supplement their kids' education by providing lots of world experiences.
And if you are a credentialed teacher and choose to homeschool, then good for you. However, if you are not, then please DON'T.
And by the way, my experience with homeschooled kids is that the majority are weird. Some turn out great, but many are weird. And when homeschooled kids try to enter public school when their parents have maxed out their abilities, the kids are not well-equipped.
Perhaps a good middle ground would be checking into your district's options for alternative ed, which can basically be independent study which your kids mostly complete at home, with the safety net of CREDENTIALED TEACHERS helping them along.
11:51 that is true that we don't have a master degree, but we are smart people and we focus all of our energy on our children. We don't just guess on what they are going to learn. We have very strict curriculums and follow them closely. We take strict test's and send them in to the state to make sure they are on track but on top of all that, we make everything we do educational! We also have a coop of home schoolers and we get together quite often so our kids get plenty of interaction. I believe it's all in who you are and how you do it. Some people are not good teachers and shouldn't teach their kids. Our kids play sports and go to church so they get tons of outside exposure too. There are weird home schooled kids out there, but look at their parents ;) LOL!
I think I might have to stop reading this blog if every is going to be so judgemental and negative.
I may be late to respond to this question, but here goes anyway...I think homeschooling done right is a great idea. Unfortunately, I think too many people decide to homeschool because they are mad at the public school system and don't have the means to pay for private school. If all homeschooling parents were like poster 10:27, that would be awesome!!
I am a former public school teacher, now momma to three kiddos...one who is in private school and another who will be starting Kinder next year. My 2nd grader would never allow me to teach him -- he likes to perform for others, not me. My daughter, who is starting K next year, loves to learn and will do wonderful if I homeschool. My youngest...she has already said that "Mommy cannot be her teacher".
I think there are far too many issues to consider, and a child's personality may determine what environment is best for them.
10:05, I'm 10:27 and agree about the kid's personality. I have a 'showoff' kid and we do have to do things a little differently with him. He does more extra sports and things to help. My daughter sometimes wants help from my husband instead of me bc I've helped her all day, so it does get difficult sometimes.
We really don't have a problem with the school system here, it's really pretty good, but I like having more control over the things being taught, how they are taught, why they are taught certain things, etc, etc... I want my kids to know as much Bible as they do English, as much about the Civil War (it heavily affected our family) as they do the State we live in. Just little things. Their core education is the same though. The things we do are extra as far as sending in test's to the state and following good lesson plans. I wish there was a way to force parents to teach their kids and not get lazy when home schooling!
I am curious about how the Civil War affected your fam. Please explain.
Post a Comment