Tuesday, March 3, 2009

If you found out a registered sex offender was worshipping with your church would you do anything, if at all?

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would privately pray to the God of second chances that this person be strong in their struggle against sin- like the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

Seems like the right place for ANY sinner to be.

Anonymous said...

I know there is a registered sex offender that attends church with me. He has made comments about my little girl staying over with his little girl. No.

I heard a preacher once say forgiveness and trust are two different things. God can forgive. People can forgive. Trust has to be earned.

I can and will NOT trust him to be alone with my child. Ever!

Anonymous said...

The church I attend is HUGE. I wouldn't be surprised if there are registered sex offenders that attend there. I also think that many will be surprised at how many there are that walk into our church building that just haven't been caught yet.

Anonymous said...

It would be unsettling, but I would hope that we would give him/her an opportunity to show us they have changed. Our children have to be protected though, at all costs.

Anonymous said...

I would hope I would accept them into the church with open arms like we would all want to be and should be. But of course, I wouldn't be stupid and want them in charge of a preschool class unsupervised, the same way I wouldn't want a recovering drug addict in a pharmacy, etc..

And this is a little off topic, but not all "registered sex offenders" are all perverts who want to do little kids. Some of the registered sex offenders are ones who made a huge mistake had sex with their 16 year old girlfriends when they were 18 or something like that (definately not saying that is okay) but now they are branded for life as a pervert.

Ryan's Mommy and Daddy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

no, it wouldn't change how I felt. Although I would not want him teaching childrens classes or anything.

Anonymous said...

8:45, I totally agree!! When I was 16, my boyfriend and I got caught. He was 1 year older than I was. That month, I was 16 and he just turned 18. My parents pressed charges and tried to make it so he would have to be a registered child molester! We fought the charges. 14 years later, we are still happily married. I can't imagine the troubles he would have had if he had been charged. All bc of a year of age difference!

So, please be sure it was molestation of a child not consensual sex. I always look up on the state troopers sex offender website and pass it on to my friends and family. If someone on there happens to go to our church, I guess we would treat him the same. Just watch him closer around our kids!! Everyone needs a second chance, but like an acoholic, don't put them near temptation.

Anonymous said...

I agree with all of the above posts :) He (or she) needs the unconditional love of his/her church family, but at the same time there needs to be some strict boundaries too... obviously never allowed to help with children's ministry, etc. etc.

8:04 am ------> I think you need to talk to the elders at your church about this. He needs to be welcomed there, of course, but that should not be happening. All parents at your church should know about him being a reg s.o. --- not to say they should outcast him at all, but they need to know.....

Anonymous said...

How do you let everyone know publicly without him becoming a branded outcast?

Should we put a spotlight on everyone's sins so we are all aware?

I understand that if this person were into child molestation, we need to protect the kids. But as was already mentioned, not all sex offenders want to rape your babies.

This statement "All parents at your church should know about him being a reg s.o." would most likely only leave him judged and constantly under scrutiny, which would not make for a welcoming place of worship.

Anonymous said...

The church officials are aware and he is not allowed to work in the children’s ministry at all. Not that he agrees with the rules, and he may not think it's fair, but that doesn't matter.

Our church also does background checks on EVERYONE who signs up to teach. I fully trust those chosen to lead our children’s ministry and know they are only putting the right people in those roles.

Anonymous said...

I don't think a registered offender should have to inform the people that he goes to church with. The whole body doesn't need to know. If the elders know, then that's great.

Anonymous said...

If you look on the state s.o. webpage, it does list why they are registered. I also don't think Everyone needs to be notified when one enters the church building. I agree, that is exactly where they need to be!

There are certain rules that sex offenders have to follow and teaching a class of children is one of them.

Anonymous said...

what is the website for the state of oklahoma?

Anonymous said...

I guess we need to take a universal approach and treat everyone as though they might be a sex offender then.

(Like daycare workers aren't told which kids have HIV so they must practice universal precautions if they get cut)

Anonymous said...

BTW, some sex offenders are because they were caught with pornography on their computer of a 16 year old, which is still very, very bad but its not the same as a child.)

(Like a 16 year old girlfriend sends her boyfriend a photo of her undressed........ his cell phone is found and now he's a registered sex offender..... still bad but not the same thing you know)

Anonymous said...

I go to a church where a deacon in the church video taped some of the teenagers undressing without them knowing. The day he repented wasn't until years later when he was losing he court trial and went ahead and filed guilty. His first night back to church was the kids halloween trick-or-treat night. He is under for multiple arrest and I don't think he should be allowed back.

Anonymous said...

I live on the MO side of OK, so I search at www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov

for OK I search

http://docapp8.doc.state.ok.us/servlet/page?_pageid=190&_dad=portal30&_schema=PORTAL30

Search your neighborhood to be safe.

Anonymous said...

Wow. You don't think he should be allowed in church at all?

So prison ministry outreach and allowing former prisoners in the church, you don't agree with that?

Anonymous said...

I don't think anyone said that a s.o. should not be in church. That is exactly where they need to be! Just not allowed to be solely over children's activities.

All Agree..

As far as outreach programs, etc.. I personally know someone in prison that is a Christian. I think it is a wonderful thing that people are doing to help those that can't physically come to church!

Anonymous said...

"He is under for multiple arrest and I don't think he should be allowed back.

March 3, 2009 9:51 PM"