Monday, March 23, 2009

What have you cut back on due to the current recession? Or what would be the first things to go if you had to cut back?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

We haven't had to cut back, we live pretty frugally as it is, but if we had to cut back, I would want the Sattlelite to go, I hate that thing.

Anonymous said...

I'm not shopping, going to the movies, or out to eat..as much.

Anonymous said...

We cut down on going out to eat last summer when the gas was ridiculous. Now we only go out about twice a month and it's become a treat when we do.

We are considering dropping the expanded cable/dvr, so that would be the first thing to go if need be.

Anonymous said...

We eat out far less than we used to. And my shopping habbits have changed. No more random trips to the mall....

Anonymous said...

Shopping!! I've quit shopping at WalMart and started supporting the smaller stores more. I spend a lot less that way. No more trips to the malls every weekend! We still eat out a lot but we are trying to cut back on that! We also cut out the dish and got free sattelite (viewsat). Cut back on cell phone usage and trips to town for small stuff! Things we don't have to cut back on, but it's good for us!!

Anonymous said...

For us, it's shopping. We no longer walk into Target, hand them $200 and leave. That used to kill us every month.

Anonymous said...

yes, random trips to target are having to come to a hault. also, eating out, entertainment, and our kids lessons are being cut wayyyy back.

oh, and no vacation this year :(

Anonymous said...

I've cut back so much now that I don't think I'll ever go back to the old Spender I used to be!

Will you all go back to spending more or stay cut back?

Anonymous said...

Yes, I almost never go shopping anymore. My kids clothes used to come from Gap & Gymboree now they come from Wal-mart & target. I am also buying my clothes from much cheaper places. We are cutting back EVERYWHERE we can but those are the first things that come to mind. Will we go back? Not to the spending habits I had before. I am realizing how wasteful I have been in the past.

Anonymous said...

We have been really fortunate and haven't had to make many adjustments.

Anonymous said...

I have started trying to save on groceries and household supplies by doing the whole couponing/CVS thing. I also don't go shopping out of boredom anymore. Only if I need something specific. This is not just because of the recession, but I realized what a wasteful consumer society we are and how bad it is for the environment for us to keep consuming at the rate we are going. Christians should care about being good stewards of God's creation (not to mention the money He has blessed you with--think about how many people you could help with that money you spent on random shopping trips--for things you don't even need!)

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now--sorry!! I didn't mean to get preachy. I am still guilty of it too, my eyes have just been opened to some things and I wanted to share!

Check out www.storyofstuff.com-it's very enlightening!

Anonymous said...

I cut back long before the recession hit. It's amazing what you can actually do without if you have too because everytime I've thought I'm broke, I find more things I can do without if I have to. If I had to cut back even more, I would probably cut out pop first (I don't have anything big left...don't get my nails done, rarely get my hair cut, only have limited basic cable, only eat out once a week, only go shopping if I have gift cards).

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking about using cloth diapers with the next baby. The disposable ones are so expensive.

Anonymous said...

Disposible diapers are expensive, BUT THEY ARE WORTH EVERY PENNY!

I would give up CHOCOLATE before i gave up diapers!!