Monday, March 30, 2009

Do you think it is wrong to send your kids to private Christian elementary / jr/ high schools? (Do you think it is wrong to not want to associate with non Christians? )

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there anyone who actually thinks it is morally wrong to send your kids to a private school?!

If we could afford it, we would do it. I believe besides the smaller classes, more parental involvement, better overall curriculum, it is important to have your kids surrounded by people who share the same basic moral beliefs and have a good christian foundation established as they are growing up. Should they not have friends who are aren't Christians? Of course not, but, for example, if my kid has a friend who parents are shacking up, there is no chance my kid will get to go play over at that kid's house, of course they will be welcomed at our house and I would hope my kid and our family would be a good example to them.

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's wrong to send your kids to private Christian school. I think there are positives to both private and public.
I will say, I went to a private Christian college and experienced just as much immoral activity than in my public high school. I know in HS I had to be a strong Christian, and in college I could just cost, because everyone around me was Christian.

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE for my kids to go to a private Christian school! Nothing wrong about it. Just wish we could afford it!

Anonymous said...

I don't see anything wrong with sending your kids to a private school. Our kids are not old enough yet to have to make that decision but my husband and I have talked about it many times. Does that mean that private schools are "better" than public schools? No, just different.

Anonymous said...

I don't think there is anything wrong with them. I am a product of both private and public schools through out my schooling and really loved both. I have a hard time justifying spending the $ on it for my kids to go privately because I think there are really great public schools around us and I do feel that it would be a great opprotunity to shine our lights to others. There are real benefits to both, and cons for both too.

Anonymous said...

Historically, the growth of religious private schools in America (in contrast to Catholic parochial schools) directly parallels the segregation of public schools and white-flight of the 1960’s.

Parents must at least consider the negative impact of withdrawing their children and influence from the public sector. After all, we are the light of the world, the leavening in the loaf and the salt of the earth. When we pull out of public schools we abdicate our ability to steer school boards and influence public opinion.

Anonymous said...

We have a private christian school in the next town over. The kids there were all problem children, I guess they thought it was kind of a reform school instead of Christian school! I would like to send my kids there, but they have more Christian friends in their small public school than they would there! So, we chose public. After so many random school shootings, pledge of allegiance taken out, etc.. I'm contemplating homeschool! :) We have a large homeschooling coop here, so it wouldn't be like isolating them. We'll see.

Anonymous said...

I am the one who asked this question.

We are thinking of sending our kids to a private Christian school and have been basically told that its like being a "Christian snob"

I have been told, that as Christians we should be the "light of the world" and should teach our children to be friends with non-Christians, to share their faith and be good examples to non-CHristians in the world.

What are your thoughts about that? Am I a Christian snob?

The schools in our area have lots of drug probs, violence, etc etc etc etc etc and frankly I don't want to have to deal with all of that....... maybe I'm shallow?

I will let my kid have non-Christian friends through YMCA sports, etc...

But anyway that's why I asked the question!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Good answer 9:40

I do think it's wrong to send your kids to a private Christian school solely based on racial reasons. That's very sad.

Sometimes I wish that we didn't have an option to homeschool or send to private school! Then everyone would work together to improve the public schools and it'd be alot better!

Anonymous said...

I don't think the environment is that much better at private Christian schools then at public. Where do you think the really troubled kids who get kicked out of public school go . . private school!

Anonymous said...

12:16: Actually this school makes kids write an essay stating why they want to go to this school, they get references and much more. So i don't think it's a bunch of troubled kids...

Anonymous said...

I have mixed feelings about the issue. I've heard some people use the label "Holy Huddle" in reference to Christian education. I think I agree with that label.

I think that following the Holy Huddle can lead to a feeling of fear. We are commanded to be IN the world, not OF the world. I think that includes the education of our children. They'll be exposed to some harsh realities--drug use, sex education, foul language. But the Bible doesn't say, "In the world UNLESS..." I think that we have to teach our children how to be witnesses of God's majesty and grace. What better way to teach them than when they come home with questions like, "What does this word mean?"

Chances are, if they're in a Christian school, they'll be exposed to the same worldly issues, but we won't be on our guard, ready to address the issues when they come up.

Anonymous said...

I have mixed feelings. Children need to learn to live in a fallen world, and if they are constantly protected by the "bubble" how will they react when they get out. I have seen children go to Christian schools and then colleges, and then they come and seem eager to find out about what is in the world. There are no guarantees that a Christian school will take care of all our problems. On another note - your children may be going over to another church kids house and one of their parents is having an affair and one or the other may be a porn addict.

Our best hope is training and lots of prayers.

I would never be critical of someone who sends their children to private school - there are certainly many good things about them. Just don't expect more out of them than the can deliver.

Anonymous said...

I think if you live in Oklahoma you should send your kids to private school or SOMETHING - schooling here sucks. BUT I think also if you have the money to send your kids to private school 1) move to a different place 2) spend your money on MORE IMPORTANT things ... your kid is going to learn 2 + 2 no matter which school their in.

Anonymous said...

you can't judge a person as shallow just because of where he sends his kids to school. there are lots of factors involved. education opportunites may be better at a private, lots of factors, it is what kids learn at HOME that matters. do you teach your kids to love the lost, to serve the poor, to look for the good in people that are different than they are? are you teaching them the two greatest commands,and how to follow them? do you know what those commands are and are you following them? YOUR example will mean much more to them in the long run regardless of where they go to school. and in the end, you only have to answer to one judge, our wonderful Savior, Jesus. aren't you glad its Him instead of the world or your brothers and sisters. i am!

Anonymous said...

I think both can be good options. I will never say never when it comes to my children and doing what's best for them. If we can swing it financially, we will probably go the private route however, we will do what is best for each indiviual child and our family as a whole

Anonymous said...

I went to public elementary and junior high and then Christian high school and college. After talking with friends and family I have come up with the following opinion for my own family...
If we go to a church with a strong, good sized junior high/high school youth group then I would be more open to sending my kids to public school. If we attended a small church with a small or non existant youth group then I would try to put my kids into a private Christian school.

I feel it is important for kids to spend their formative years surrounded by friends of similar faith. Once they grow and mature in the Lord then they will be ready to go out and be "in" the world using the lessons they learned in high school/college.

Anonymous said...

I don't know who said "Schooling in Oklahoma sucks" but that is really incorrect. Edmond is one of the top, if not the top, rated school system in the state.

Why are you so negative.

Anonymous said...

Edmond is one of the top schools in the STATE. Exactly now look at Edmond on a national level....not so pretty. What about those who don't live in your peaceful middle class materialistic society? I'm not hateful...I'm realistic

Anonymous said...

I think the assumption behind this question is rather insulting. There are lots of reasons people pick private Christian education that have nothing to do with being afraid of being around Non Christians.

(And no, I don't have kids in a private Christian school. I don't have kids at all)

Anonymous said...

I have one child in public and one child in private christian school I have been very pleased with the Edmond public school system and my youngest who is the one in the private school only goes because her birthday falls 1 day late of the cut off and this is the only place i could find that would take her. I have toyed with the idea of placing my oldest their the reasons i have not is because i feel like she would not get the education she is getting at the public schools i work at the christian school and am not impressed with the education the children are getting i see 4and5th grades doing the same work my 3rd grader is doing the thing i like about the christian school is that the children are allowed to express their faith as well as the teachers and when one of the children is doing something wrong then you can correct them with what would Jesus like you to do in this situation as for the comments about Edmond schools i would have to agree my husband and myself graduated from edmond and my youngest has gone to school their since being in kindergardten, we are moving this summer and I am excited to go the schools that are there. They are SO MUCH better than Edmond and i relize everyone does not have that oppertunity but dont just assume you are giving your child the best education unless you are 100% sure.I dont think that you are morally wrong to send your kids to a private school you have to do what you feel is right for your family and for each child!

Anonymous said...

Oklahoma Public Schools are far below the national level. There's just no denying that. I don't think people are being negative, just stating the facts. Our state has really failed in this area, and it's a shame because we train really great teachers and then either underpay them or lose them to neighboring states.

Anonymous said...

How are Texas schools?

Anonymous said...

I have come to the conclusion that monasteries, the idea of which has appealed to me in the past, are basically unbiblical.
Although the church is the called out, we are also charged to let our light shine and to actually speak to each other and be examples to the world in order to bring them to Christ.
Also, I totally agree that when strong families run from the public school, the public school is weakened.
Let's make our community schools great. Let's reach out to our kids' friends and their families.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't say that it is wrong. but i would say that it may do them a disservice in life. The first person in charge of your child's spiritual (and educational) growth is yourself. I don't think that putting them in private christian school will make them any stronger or weaker of a Christian, because each person (even your child) is on an individual spiritual walk with the Lord. But putting them in a private Christian school may teach them that it is okay to be insulated, to stay away from non-Christians, and to judge poorly anyone not like themselves.

Having said that, I think the bubble that Christian education, colleges included, can create an unhealthy, homogeneous community that has absolutely zero to do with the real world. (Unless you live in edmond. In that case, you are the bubble.) I fully agree with the posters who have referenced Jesus' admonition that we live in the world, but not of it. How are we salt and light if we are cordoned off in our own little safe place where no one is different? If you are a Christian, Jesus has you in the palm of His hand and will be faithful in how you raise your children. Do you think that the public school system can undo that?