I agree. If they are willing to serve our country then let them serve. Just because I do not agree with their lifestyle, does not mean I should make them feel less of themself.
yes, they should be allowed to serve in the military, however in response to poster #1, I don't think they should be allowed to lead Boy Scouts. That is insane, I wouldn'e want my son to be looking up to a gay man as a role model.
I say absolutely...they are just as good at fighting as anyone else. I say yes!!
And I am a christian also and I have numerous family members who are gay or lesbians. I do not however support gay marriage, but that is a whole other subject.
I don't think what a person does in their bedroom should be any of the military's concern. That being said, that doesn't mean that I think homosexuality is okay, I just don't think it's any more wrong than any other sin, and shouldn't be singled out.
I believe this question is an excellent one, and in order to answer it correctly you need to look at where society has come.
We all too often try to look at ourselves as either accepting or closed minded. However, By accepting sodomites as "common place" in our society we are allowing ourselves to be fooled by their attitude, that they are exactly like us except for their sexual preferences.
The Bible describes their sin as an abomination toward God. If we as a society allow them to be part of everyday life, and weave themselves into the fabric of our lives, whether it be the military, education system, or even the Church it will be more and more difficult to explain to our children, and even ourselves, that their sin damns their soul to hell.
Taking a stand against such sins should be every Christian’s duty. I am afraid that by allowing sodomites into our lives we will eventually be tolerant of the sin as well as the individual committing it.
No, I don't believe sodomites should be allowed to serve in the military.
I think anyone who is willing to lay their life on the line for our country should be allowed to do so. Regardless of any other issue. They are citizens of this country.
Instead of asking our opinions on this maybe we should ask the straight men and women who serve in the military. They are the ones who will have to sleep next to and shower with homosexuals. Honestly, how would you feel if you knew you were showing with someone everyday who found you sexually attractvie? The military doesn't let unmarried men and women live together for this very reason.
"The Bible describes their sin as an abomination toward God. If we as a society allow them to be part of everyday life, and weave themselves into the fabric of our lives, whether it be the military, education system, or even the Church it will be more and more difficult to explain to our children, and even ourselves, that their sin damns their soul to hell."
Other sins are condemned to hell including greedy and thieves and adulterers according to I Cor. 6:8-10 but through the grace of God, He offers us forgiveness. He doesn't want any of us to go to hell (2 Peter 3:9) He wants everyone to know Him. If you choose to say that homosexuals should stay out of churches then I hope you plan on going to their houses to preach the gospel of salvation to them. They are sinners just like greedy people, liars and thieves and we allow them in our society and churches. "It is not the healthy who need the doctor, but the sick" Matt. 9:12
I'm the mom who made the comment about the teacher, and NO their current teachers do NOT discuss their sexual behaviors, BUT they do bring their spouses to events that we attend! And we have met their spouses.
My oldest questions EVERYTHING, and is extremely impressionable! When Mrs. Teacher introduces her WIFE to the kids at the school carnival....that's a little hard to explain. And personally I don't want to go there YET! I know I will have to soon enough.
A historian once spoke about the collapse of the Roman Empire and said: "A great civilization is not conquered from the outside until it has destroyed itself from the inside. We tolerate what others celebrate, and pretty soon what we tolerate, we start to celebrate. The moral collapse a civilization doesn’t come as a singular event but a series of small moral compromises over a period of years."
Whether you “accept” homosexuals (“sodomites” sounds REALLY homophobic) in society is irrelevant. That’s like saying you don’t accept the weather, or high gas prices. The behavior is a FACT, just as it was in Jesus’s day and in every era since. So, what’s going to happen now that YOU don’t accept them? Are they suddenly going to disappear?
And which sin does the Bible NOT describe as an abomination? To put it another way, which sin does the Bible say is acceptable to God? All sin, any sin, separates us from God. All sin, any sin, damns our soul to hell, as you so eloquently put it. But the good news is that all sin, any sin, was forgiven by Jesus on the cross. Try placing “liars” or “the disobedient to parents” or “the cowardly” in place of “sodomites” in your comments, to see how skewed your views are, having camped out on this one sin, trying to make it the hill you die on.
The fact is, there are liars, and cowardly people, and the greedy, and the angry, and drunkards (all sins described as keeping one out of the Kingdom), who are “woven into the fabric” of your life ALL THE TIME. Why aren’t THOSE the sins you’re taking a stand against? Why don’t you use pejorative language against those sins? Why don’t you discriminate against those people?
And why don’t you tell us what YOUR sin is – you know, the one you wrestle with on a DAILY BASIS – so that we can “take a stand against such sins” to unweave you from your place in society? You know, we’re just not going to allow you and people like you into our lives.
*sigh* Your perspective is so narrow, and leaves no place for God’s grace. Yes, the question was an excellent one, but your response leaves a lot to be desired.
Please, please, don't think that American society is the pinnacle of God's kingdom on earth. ALL civilizations crumble. ALL societies fail. Ours will, too, one day, and there's nothing we can do to stop it.
Am I saying that we should rejoice in the decline and decay? Not at all. But the battlefield is NOT society! Jesus NEVER called for his disciples to change the sweeping issues facing their society. Nor did Paul, who journeyed many more miles from home and saw much more of the Roman empire than Jesus himself. Neither one, for example, EVER condemned the institution of slavery.
The battleground is each individual heart. Christians won't change the world by changing the world order. Christians will change the world one heart at a time, and each person we tell about Jesus, each person who comes to Christ, will change THEIR little piece of the world.
This world belongs to the Prince of the Power of the Air -- Satan. We should not be surprised or indignant that he is so skillful by now at getting people to compromise or accept sinful behavior in society. My job is to make sure I don't compromise MY heart.
The POINT of the Roman historian quote is that ANY society ultimately declines because the individuals who make up that society slowly begin compromising their standards over time. This goes for the Greeks, Romans, Soviets, Chinese, Americans, etc. This in no way is stating that America is the "pinnacle of God's kingdom on earth." The pinnacle of God's creation is the only part of his creation that was made in his image- human beings. And when human beings begin to undermine, ignore, or condone anything that our creator calls an abomination (including lying, stealing, cheating, adultery, lust, homosexuality, etc) then whatever society they belong to begins to decay. Technically the battle is not against “society” but who makes up societies? People. It is ironic that after 22 posts on this topic no one has ever really adequately explained how we deal with 1 Corinthians 6:9-11. Is it because we are now so arrogant and self-sufficient that we no longer need the Word of God to instruct on how to live? Is it because being tolerant and open-minded are more important than being faithful to God’s truth today? It is true that we shouldn’t judge homosexuality any more than we are willing to judge our own sins of lying, hypocrisy, cheating, whatever. But this post was not about whether or not we want liars, cheats, thieves, hypocrites, cowards, or drunkards in the military. The question was specifically about allowing people who are openly homosexual (presumably still practicing it) to be allowed into the military. If all military personnel are willing to sleep next to, and shower with those of the same sex who have an attraction to the same sex, then let them all in. You will likely never get a total consensus on that however.
You cannot impose Christian principles to a societal organization. While I do personally hold the leaders in our communities and schools to a different standard, I still cannot impose my Christian beliefs onto them. If anyone believes that homosexuality is any more abhorrent to God than any of the sins I commit on a daily basis they are wrong. Homosexuality is a sinful lifestyle just as are many other lifestyles. I don't think it is appropriate to treat this sin any differently than any other sexual sin.
While I would not elect one as a deacon or an elder in the church, I would certainly welcome them into my life and ESPECIALLY my church in order to help them truly know the Saving Grace offered to ALL of us sinners through His Blood. Good conversation here. Ithink we all have some things to learn in this area. It is tough to know exactly how to "speak the truth in love" without forcing many so far away from Christ they can't see him.
You cannot impose Christian principles to a societal organization. While I do personally hold the leaders in our communities and schools to a different standard, I still cannot impose my Christian beliefs onto them. If anyone believes that homosexuality is any more abhorrent to God than any of the sins I commit on a daily basis they are wrong. Homosexuality is a sinful lifestyle just as are many other lifestyles. I don't think it is appropriate to treat this sin any differently than any other sexual sin.
While I would not elect one as a deacon or an elder in the church, I would certainly welcome them into my life and ESPECIALLY my church in order to help them truly know the Saving Grace offered to ALL of us sinners through His Blood. Good conversation here. Ithink we all have some things to learn in this area. It is tough to know exactly how to "speak the truth in love" without forcing many so far away from Christ they can't see him.
"To me the bigger question is if one can be a soldier and a Christian?"
Um, yes. Joshua, Gideon, David, all notable righteous men who were soldiers. Cornelius from the NT: When he became a Christian, did he have to give up being a soldier? I don't think so.
I've never been a soldier, never will be one, but there's got to be a way that soldiers can honor God and still do their jobs well, even though their jobs may involve killing. (We could extend this to peace officers as well, I think.)
Taking a life is NOT automatically evil, otherwise God could not do it, nor could he command it to be done.
No, my dad is a military retiree and vietnam vet! His argument and I agree with it is, many homosexual carry or have the potential for carry AIDS (more so than heterosexuals) and many times in war time, blood transfusions are required on the war field. Who gives those transfusions? The guys standing next to you! Besides that would you like to share a tent or dorm room with someone who is attracted to the same sex? NOT ME!!!! They may not all be perverts but there are good reasons not to allow homosexuals into the military. Oh and I know they are people but God condems homosexuality in several places in the Bible. Have we forgotten that, and we are to hate what God hates!
Most of these questions are now submitted. Please feel free to submit your question and see how others feel. Email me here with a subject line of "Anonymous Truth"
31 comments:
Absolutely.
Contrary to popular belief, homosexuals aren't a bunch of super-perverts running around looking to convert everyone.
I say let them serve, let them teach, let them lead Boy Scout troops!
(And yes, I'm a Christian and a mother and I still feel that way!)
I agree. If they are willing to serve our country then let them serve. Just because I do not agree with their lifestyle, does not mean I should make them feel less of themself.
They do serve, a ton of them.
yes, they should be allowed to serve in the military, however in response to poster #1, I don't think they should be allowed to lead Boy Scouts. That is insane, I wouldn'e want my son to be looking up to a gay man as a role model.
I say absolutely...they are just as good at fighting as anyone else. I say yes!!
And I am a christian also and I have numerous family members who are gay or lesbians. I do not however support gay marriage, but that is a whole other subject.
Sure. Whoever wants to serve our country should be able to.
Yes, if they are willing to die for our freedoms then so be it. I have no problems with gays, lesbians or bi-sexuals.
I don't think what a person does in their bedroom should be any of the military's concern. That being said, that doesn't mean that I think homosexuality is okay, I just don't think it's any more wrong than any other sin, and shouldn't be singled out.
yes. I can't beleive this is even an issue (and I, too, am a Christian but this is just stupid)
I don't have a problem with it either.
Now, I would have a problem if my elementary age child had a teacher that was openly gay. I am not really ready to discuss that with my young kids.
Yep!
Do you think the teacher would talk to your young children about his/her sexual activities? Does the current teacher?????
OF COURSE THEY SHOULD! SEXUAL PREFERENCE SHOULD NOT EVEN BE AN ISSUE!!!!!!!!!!!
I believe this question is an excellent one, and in order to answer it correctly you need to look at where society has come.
We all too often try to look at ourselves as either accepting or closed minded. However, By accepting sodomites as "common place" in our society we are allowing ourselves to be fooled by their attitude, that they are exactly like us except for their sexual preferences.
The Bible describes their sin as an abomination toward God. If we as a society allow them to be part of everyday life, and weave themselves into the fabric of our lives, whether it be the military, education system, or even the Church it will be more and more difficult to explain to our children, and even ourselves, that their sin damns their soul to hell.
Taking a stand against such sins should be every Christian’s duty. I am afraid that by allowing sodomites into our lives we will eventually be tolerant of the sin as well as the individual committing it.
No, I don't believe sodomites should be allowed to serve in the military.
I think anyone who is willing to lay their life on the line for our country should be allowed to do so. Regardless of any other issue. They are citizens of this country.
Instead of asking our opinions on this maybe we should ask the straight men and women who serve in the military. They are the ones who will have to sleep next to and shower with homosexuals. Honestly, how would you feel if you knew you were showing with someone everyday who found you sexually attractvie? The military doesn't let unmarried men and women live together for this very reason.
If they are willing to die for our country and our freedoms, then let them serve!
To the person who said
"The Bible describes their sin as an abomination toward God. If we as a society allow them to be part of everyday life, and weave themselves into the fabric of our lives, whether it be the military, education system, or even the Church it will be more and more difficult to explain to our children, and even ourselves, that their sin damns their soul to hell."
Other sins are condemned to hell including greedy and thieves and adulterers according to I Cor. 6:8-10 but through the grace of God, He offers us forgiveness. He doesn't want any of us to go to hell (2 Peter 3:9) He wants everyone to know Him. If you choose to say that homosexuals should stay out of churches then I hope you plan on going to their houses to preach the gospel of salvation to them. They are sinners just like greedy people, liars and thieves and we allow them in our society and churches. "It is not the healthy who need the doctor, but the sick" Matt. 9:12
I'm the mom who made the comment about the teacher, and NO their current teachers do NOT discuss their sexual behaviors, BUT they do bring their spouses to events that we attend! And we have met their spouses.
My oldest questions EVERYTHING, and is extremely impressionable! When Mrs. Teacher introduces her WIFE to the kids at the school carnival....that's a little hard to explain. And personally I don't want to go there YET! I know I will have to soon enough.
A historian once spoke about the collapse of the Roman Empire and said: "A great civilization is not conquered from the outside until it has destroyed itself from the inside. We tolerate what others celebrate, and pretty soon what we tolerate, we start to celebrate. The moral collapse a civilization doesn’t come as a singular event but a series of small moral compromises over a period of years."
To the commenter who said “sodomite”:
Whether you “accept” homosexuals (“sodomites” sounds REALLY homophobic) in society is irrelevant. That’s like saying you don’t accept the weather, or high gas prices. The behavior is a FACT, just as it was in Jesus’s day and in every era since. So, what’s going to happen now that YOU don’t accept them? Are they suddenly going to disappear?
And which sin does the Bible NOT describe as an abomination? To put it another way, which sin does the Bible say is acceptable to God? All sin, any sin, separates us from God. All sin, any sin, damns our soul to hell, as you so eloquently put it. But the good news is that all sin, any sin, was forgiven by Jesus on the cross. Try placing “liars” or “the disobedient to parents” or “the cowardly” in place of “sodomites” in your comments, to see how skewed your views are, having camped out on this one sin, trying to make it the hill you die on.
The fact is, there are liars, and cowardly people, and the greedy, and the angry, and drunkards (all sins described as keeping one out of the Kingdom), who are “woven into the fabric” of your life ALL THE TIME. Why aren’t THOSE the sins you’re taking a stand against? Why don’t you use pejorative language against those sins? Why don’t you discriminate against those people?
And why don’t you tell us what YOUR sin is – you know, the one you wrestle with on a DAILY BASIS – so that we can “take a stand against such sins” to unweave you from your place in society? You know, we’re just not going to allow you and people like you into our lives.
*sigh* Your perspective is so narrow, and leaves no place for God’s grace. Yes, the question was an excellent one, but your response leaves a lot to be desired.
About the Roman historian and others:
Please, please, don't think that American society is the pinnacle of God's kingdom on earth. ALL civilizations crumble. ALL societies fail. Ours will, too, one day, and there's nothing we can do to stop it.
Am I saying that we should rejoice in the decline and decay? Not at all. But the battlefield is NOT society! Jesus NEVER called for his disciples to change the sweeping issues facing their society. Nor did Paul, who journeyed many more miles from home and saw much more of the Roman empire than Jesus himself. Neither one, for example, EVER condemned the institution of slavery.
The battleground is each individual heart. Christians won't change the world by changing the world order. Christians will change the world one heart at a time, and each person we tell about Jesus, each person who comes to Christ, will change THEIR little piece of the world.
This world belongs to the Prince of the Power of the Air -- Satan. We should not be surprised or indignant that he is so skillful by now at getting people to compromise or accept sinful behavior in society. My job is to make sure I don't compromise MY heart.
The POINT of the Roman historian quote is that ANY society ultimately declines because the individuals who make up that society slowly begin compromising their standards over time. This goes for the Greeks, Romans, Soviets, Chinese, Americans, etc. This in no way is stating that America is the "pinnacle of God's kingdom on earth." The pinnacle of God's creation is the only part of his creation that was made in his image- human beings. And when human beings begin to undermine, ignore, or condone anything that our creator calls an abomination (including lying, stealing, cheating, adultery, lust, homosexuality, etc) then whatever society they belong to begins to decay. Technically the battle is not against “society” but who makes up societies? People. It is ironic that after 22 posts on this topic no one has ever really adequately explained how we deal with 1 Corinthians 6:9-11. Is it because we are now so arrogant and self-sufficient that we no longer need the Word of God to instruct on how to live? Is it because being tolerant and open-minded are more important than being faithful to God’s truth today? It is true that we shouldn’t judge homosexuality any more than we are willing to judge our own sins of lying, hypocrisy, cheating, whatever. But this post was not about whether or not we want liars, cheats, thieves, hypocrites, cowards, or drunkards in the military. The question was specifically about allowing people who are openly homosexual (presumably still practicing it) to be allowed into the military. If all military personnel are willing to sleep next to, and shower with those of the same sex who have an attraction to the same sex, then let them all in. You will likely never get a total consensus on that however.
You cannot impose Christian principles to a societal organization. While I do personally hold the leaders in our communities and schools to a different standard, I still cannot impose my Christian beliefs onto them. If anyone believes that homosexuality is any more abhorrent to God than any of the sins I commit on a daily basis they are wrong. Homosexuality is a sinful lifestyle just as are many other lifestyles. I don't think it is appropriate to treat this sin any differently than any other sexual sin.
While I would not elect one as a deacon or an elder in the church, I would certainly welcome them into my life and ESPECIALLY my church in order to help them truly know the Saving Grace offered to ALL of us sinners through His Blood. Good conversation here. Ithink we all have some things to learn in this area. It is tough to know exactly how to "speak the truth in love" without forcing many so far away from Christ they can't see him.
You cannot impose Christian principles to a societal organization. While I do personally hold the leaders in our communities and schools to a different standard, I still cannot impose my Christian beliefs onto them. If anyone believes that homosexuality is any more abhorrent to God than any of the sins I commit on a daily basis they are wrong. Homosexuality is a sinful lifestyle just as are many other lifestyles. I don't think it is appropriate to treat this sin any differently than any other sexual sin.
While I would not elect one as a deacon or an elder in the church, I would certainly welcome them into my life and ESPECIALLY my church in order to help them truly know the Saving Grace offered to ALL of us sinners through His Blood. Good conversation here. Ithink we all have some things to learn in this area. It is tough to know exactly how to "speak the truth in love" without forcing many so far away from Christ they can't see him.
Why wouldn't they be? I seriously don't get that.
To me the bigger question is if one can be a soldier and a Christian?
"To me the bigger question is if one can be a soldier and a Christian?"
Um, yes. Joshua, Gideon, David, all notable righteous men who were soldiers. Cornelius from the NT: When he became a Christian, did he have to give up being a soldier? I don't think so.
I've never been a soldier, never will be one, but there's got to be a way that soldiers can honor God and still do their jobs well, even though their jobs may involve killing. (We could extend this to peace officers as well, I think.)
Taking a life is NOT automatically evil, otherwise God could not do it, nor could he command it to be done.
Sure let them fight...on the front line...no weapons.
No, my dad is a military retiree and vietnam vet! His argument and I agree with it is, many homosexual carry or have the potential for carry AIDS (more so than heterosexuals) and many times in war time, blood transfusions are required on the war field. Who gives those transfusions? The guys standing next to you! Besides that would you like to share a tent or dorm room with someone who is attracted to the same sex? NOT ME!!!! They may not all be perverts but there are good reasons not to allow homosexuals into the military.
Oh and I know they are people but God condems homosexuality in several places in the Bible. Have we forgotten that, and we are to hate what God hates!
I believe we should allow them to serve, Right In The FRONT! ;)
Post a Comment