Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Have you ever received anonymous gifts? What were they?

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have received several wonderful anonymous gifts. Someone left an expensive new pair of cowboy boots that were exactly my husband's size (there is no way anyone could know that b/c he didn't own a pair that was his EXACT size.)

We have also received- $100 given through our church. I received $306cash with an anonymous note (so I knew it was for me.) We received a gift certificate to a restaurant in our mailbox.

Every time we get something anonymously it makes us want to do the same for others. It is so fun and exciting.

Anonymous said...

My husband received a brand new suit from Dillards...the funny thing is that the anonymous gift-giver had another man at church take my husband shopping--for a suit, shirt and tie--and paid for it on the gift-giver's card. It was a thoughtful gift--soemthing he needed, uses, and I think about it every time he wears it.

Anonymous said...

Never

Anonymous said...

I've received anonymous hate mail.

Anonymous said...

Once we received a giftcard in an anonymous Christmas card a couple of years ago. Still wondering who it could be!

Anonymous said...

I don't recall receiving an anonymous gift, but we have been lucky enough to give anonymous gifts sometimes -- to people at church who have some needs or need encouragement -- and it is LOTS OF FUN!

Anonymous said...

My husband and I struggled with infertility for a couple years. We decided to do in vitro. Our bible class at church put together a garage sale and raised money to help us with the huge cost of IVF. They raised a lot of money and an anonymous donor matched what they raised for us. We still don't know who it was.

Anonymous said...

no, never!!! I think when you quietly go through life without complaining or whinning to others then people don't think you need anything. I guess it is the squeaky wheel kind of thing.

Even back in the day when you could have used an anonymous gift we never let anyone know that we were struggling.

I think some people do it just so people will help them.

And to the person that received anonymous hate mail - that is so sad!!!

Anonymous said...

I was the first poster and we have never been given any of the gifts out of complaining... The $100 was to go towards our house. The $306 was specifically for me to treat myself and I never even told anyone that I needed such a thing. My husband had plenty of boots and didn't need a new pair, but it was such a blessing.

So, people do give things even if you are not a "squeaky wheel."

Anonymous said...

To the poster who said:

Even back in the day when you could have used an anonymous gift we never let anyone know that we were struggling.

I believe you missed out on a big reason God set up the church the way He did. (Assuming you are part of a church-forgive me if that assumption is wrong.) People who care about other people want to help who are struggling. Not because it is expected or demanded, but because it is needed.

Perhaps God wanted to use some of your friends and family to bless you in those times of struggle and you never allowed it to happen because you have the mentality of not needing anyone.

I hope you will consider allowing people into your heart and the reality of your life. Not for financial gain, but for the love, fellowship and emotional strength that comes from being transparent.

Anonymous said...

i agree with you, in order for people to bless others, you need to be humble enough to accept the gift whether monetary, supportive, or just a "happy happy" because you are glad someone is your friend. we received several thousand dollars from someone when my husband lost his job. we were able to keep our house. what a blessing.

Anonymous said...

AMEN! THAT is the body of Christ at work!

Anonymous said...

We're in ministry and live off donations from others. We've received a few anonymous donations over the years but most of the time we know where the gifts come from.

Anonymous gifts are sometimes a relief because I don't have to worry about thanking the person sufficiently! A guilt-free gift!

We've done our best to turn it around and have also given anonymous gifts, sometimes even to our coworkers when they've really needed help. It would be really uncomfortable for them to know that the money was coming from us so we just tell them it's from an anonymous donor.

Darin Martin said...

Hello, all. Sarah gave me permission to post this here.

I wanted to tell you about a blog I've just started, focused on discussion of verious issues, using the Scriptures. Please visit and comment! I'm looking forward to reading what you have to say. Let's challenge each other.

Thanks!

Darin Martin said...

Hello, all. Sarah gave me permission to post this here.

I wanted to tell you about a blog I've just started, focused on discussion of verious issues, using the Scriptures. Please visit and comment! I'm looking forward to reading what you have to say. Let's challenge each other.

Thanks!