Friday, December 12, 2008

Reader Rally

The first one here leave a question in the comment section. The rest of us will answer YOUR question. Just keep in mind the goal of this blog. Make people think and be honest with themselves. I look forward to seeing what you are curious about.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

What are your thoughts on "re-gifting"?

Anonymous said...

I'm a true green gal, reduce recycle reuse and re-gift
If you think you should be honest with the recepeant. If they are someone that will hold it against you I would rething the re-gift.

Anonymous said...

its a great way to use something that is not you. it can be tricky,but if you do it right (no junk regifting) it is ok

Anonymous said...

I think it's okay--as long as it's nice, and still thoughtful. I'm regifting to my sister--but it's something with her initial on it, so it's still personal....just something I would have never used.

Anonymous said...

I'm re-gifting today for my son's book exchange. I don't think the book was ever opened by him, infact it still had some wrapping paper on the back from last year!

So.... go ahead!

Anonymous said...

I never understood why re-gifting is a bad thing. I suppose if you are just passing on crap that should be thrown away that would be offensive. But if someone gives you something that just isn't your taste, but you genuinely think someone else will like it...pass it on!

But remove the original gift tag before you do! (You know who you are)

Anonymous said...

I'm torn. A family member in my family always regifts and it can become offiensive - especially when it is obvious. I think sometimes it is n't very thoughtful of this person but rather just plain cheap.

I am a lot more careful now that I continue to get bizarre things from this person. If I get something that I know someone else would like I am honest and tell them, "I got this but it looks just like you, I want you to have it." Then I also get them a gift from me. Or I willjust do it as a random act of kindness but I be sure and tell them.

For kids that don't know the difference, however, I say bring it on!

Anonymous said...

this is too funny that this question was asked today.
I was part of an on-line secert santa with ladies that post together regularly. One ladies had a family member mix up the names and email them out. We sat a limit of $10 a mail by date and opening day, today. I got 3 pair of panties in a size m, which I am not and kind of tackey for an old lady. They were in a Victoria Secert bag with tags on. Do I return them or do I re-gift?
To find the right person will be hard.

And who gives someone that you don't know panties.

Anonymous said...

Sure you can regift, as long as it is tasteful and you're not regifting the same gift to the person that gave you the gift.

Anonymous said...

re-gifting is perfectly fine. It has to be thoughtful though.

Anonymous said...

I don't make a habit of it, but for instance I once had someone give me a gift card to a place that I would never use, but had a friend I needed to get a gift for who frequents this place and in all honesty, I probably would have gotten them a gift card to this place anyway...so I gave them the card. I wasn't trying to be cheap, but being practical. As long as you're tactful about it and it's something they would like, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Anonymous said...

I have been known to do it on accassion as well. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Dave Ramsey would be so proud!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with "Green Gal". As a gift-giver I think I would rather my gift be past on to someone who would use it rather than take up space in the back of a closet, or worse be trashed.

Anonymous said...

I have done it, I felt weird, but didn't stop me.

Anonymous said...

some of the coolest and most fitting gifts i have RECEIVED have been "regifts"

I guess now that i think about it -- so have the crappiest ones. (Like a gift card to a series of movie theaters that only exist on the west coast. I will have to think some more

Anonymous said...

I don't like it. If you get something and you think someone else would like it, then give it to them. Don't wrap it up and act like you put time and thought into it.

Anonymous said...

You did put time and thought into it. You THOUGHT they would like it so you took the TIME to wrap it.

Anonymous said...

That's a pretty sad way to justify something.

Anonymous said...

I think it's a great idea.. especially with wedding gifts you get too much of and can't take back.. or if you know someone would actually enjoy the gift..