This is an experiment to see how honest people can be if they don't have to identify themselves. Some silly, some deep, but all require honesty.
Friday, December 5, 2008
Reader Rally
The first one here leave a question in the comment section. The rest of us will answer YOUR question. Just keep in mind the goal of this blog. Make people think and be honest with themselves. I look forward to seeing what you are curious about.
19 comments:
Anonymous
said...
Do you believe drinking alcohol is a sin or that getting drunk is? Why or why not?
I also believe that drinking alcohol is a risky choice. Not only do you run the risk of drunkenness, addiction, etc. You also risk your Christian influence with just beverage too many. I firmly believe it is best to abstain from alcohol. There is no inherit value to drinking.
a)If you drink one drink and it has no effect to you mental capacity to make decisions, then no; not a sin.
b)If by drinking you limit your ability to infulence indviduals to Christ, then yes; it is a sin.
c)If you know that you drinking is not a sin, but is causes another indvidual to stumble, then it would be sin to continue to inhibit their young faith.
i agree with what has been said, drinking is a dangerous thing and has been disasterous to many people. in proverbs,solomon tells us that wine makes the heart merry, and also gives warning for kings not to drink wine. paul obviously did not have a problem with it as he instructed timothy to have a little for his health. so within boundaries it is ok, but it is like playing with fire. it is a very risky thing to do.
I don't think either is a sin. I have no problem with drinking as long as it can be done in a responsible manner, ie:find a designated driver, drink at home or call a cab. If it becomes an addiction or harm is done to someone else, then an intervention needs to occur. As for the people I know and drink with, I think everyone would be surprised to know that we are all Christians and attend very different churches.
I have never been drunk on alohol but have taken some medicine (even over the counter cold meds) that has effected me mentaly and physicaly. If I was to drive and get stopped it would be an OUI. (operating under influence)
I agree with the majority so far here. I don't believe if you take a drink you've got a one-way ticket to hell. I think the Bible is clear that getting drunk is. And I also agree that it is a risky practice and can affect your Christian influence. Personally I choose not to drink because I've seen first hand too many times to count how something that started out so innocent can do so much damage in people's lives. Not worth it.
On another note, I'm not sure that alcohol and cold medicine necessarily belong in the same catagory. Granted if you get out and drive while under the influence of cold meds can dangerous, I don't think too many people are feeling up to participating in the sinful behavior that being drunk can lead to if they're taking cold meds. And if they're taking them when they're not sick, they're taking them for the wrong reasons and have some other issues to deal with.
Before the insinuation of commerce into every aspect of our live, most folks had enough sense to moderate their intake of alcohol as an accepted medicinal. That's the "little wine for your stomach." Your great-grand parents could separate use from abuse- doesn’t mean that everyone did. Some people will self-medicate and others over-medicate whether it be alcohol, Valium or a host of other chemicals. spiew
Considering that Jesus' first miracle was turning water into wine at a wedding reception, I think it is safe to say that drinking alcohol, in and of itself is not sinful. Furthermore, the drink at the last supper was also wine. As with anything beneficial, we must always check the motives of the heart before partaking in any activity. Do you drink alcohol to hide from your pain? Or do you drink alcohol to celebrate life, enjoy and meal and enjoy the people you are with? The problem with asking questions like this is that it draws lines of dissension where they ought not be. The question should always be, "where is your heart?", not "what are your hands doing?".
Why start something that could possibly destroy you or someone else? Is it really worth it to have that "one" drink and cause destruction to many. I have seen first hand what it can do - and it had nothing to do with being drunk - just judgement being very impaired. Scripture states that everything is lawful but not everything is expedient. I'm not judging anyone who has a drink but I'll not be joining you.
I choose to stay away from alcohol. I can celebrate and have fun just as well w/o it, in fact it's sad to me that some think they need it for this reason, or to loosen up. I don't think it is a sin,however, I don't see any benefit...not to mention it tastes terrible. If I have to work to aquire a taste for something then it's not really worth it.
Biblically speaking drinking is not a sin and yes drunkeness is. As mentioned in previous posts it's like playing w/ fire.
Most of these questions are now submitted. Please feel free to submit your question and see how others feel. Email me here with a subject line of "Anonymous Truth"
19 comments:
Do you believe drinking alcohol is a sin or that getting drunk is? Why or why not?
I believe getting drunk is a sin.
I also believe that drinking alcohol is a risky choice. Not only do you run the risk of drunkenness, addiction, etc. You also risk your Christian influence with just beverage too many. I firmly believe it is best to abstain from alcohol. There is no inherit value to drinking.
It depends:
a)If you drink one drink and it has no effect to you mental capacity to make decisions, then no; not a sin.
b)If by drinking you limit your ability to infulence indviduals to Christ, then yes; it is a sin.
c)If you know that you drinking is not a sin, but is causes another indvidual to stumble, then it would be sin to continue to inhibit their young faith.
i agree with what has been said, drinking is a dangerous thing and has been disasterous to many people. in proverbs,solomon tells us that wine makes the heart merry, and also gives warning for kings not to drink wine. paul obviously did not have a problem with it as he instructed timothy to have a little for his health. so within boundaries it is ok, but it is like playing with fire. it is a very risky thing to do.
I don't think either is a sin. I have no problem with drinking as long as it can be done in a responsible manner, ie:find a designated driver, drink at home or call a cab. If it becomes an addiction or harm is done to someone else, then an intervention needs to occur. As for the people I know and drink with, I think everyone would be surprised to know that we are all Christians and attend very different churches.
I'm hungover right now, I'll answer after I get some coffee.
; )
No alcohol is not a sin. Over doing can be.
I have never been drunk on alohol but have taken some medicine (even over the counter cold meds) that has effected me mentaly and physicaly. If I was to drive and get stopped it would be an OUI. (operating under influence)
I agree with the majority so far here. I don't believe if you take a drink you've got a one-way ticket to hell. I think the Bible is clear that getting drunk is. And I also agree that it is a risky practice and can affect your Christian influence. Personally I choose not to drink because I've seen first hand too many times to count how something that started out so innocent can do so much damage in people's lives. Not worth it.
On another note, I'm not sure that alcohol and cold medicine necessarily belong in the same catagory. Granted if you get out and drive while under the influence of cold meds can dangerous, I don't think too many people are feeling up to participating in the sinful behavior that being drunk can lead to if they're taking cold meds. And if they're taking them when they're not sick, they're taking them for the wrong reasons and have some other issues to deal with.
Before the insinuation of commerce into every aspect of our live, most folks had enough sense to moderate their intake of alcohol as an accepted medicinal. That's the "little wine for your stomach." Your great-grand parents could separate use from abuse- doesn’t mean that everyone did. Some people will self-medicate and others over-medicate whether it be alcohol, Valium or a host of other chemicals. spiew
very ironic that this question is presented right before the weekend, just a few hours before we will probably be partaking in this sinful beverage!!!
i bet Jesus would go into a bar and have a beer with a sinner!
Jesus would totally go to the bar, but he wouldn't get drunk!
To serve what purpose????
to minister to those who need it..it may be sterotypical, but I am guessing lots of people in that bar may be in need of some Jesus time..
I know lots of ministers who have gone into bars and gotten people saved. I know people who have been saved in bars and are know serving the Lord!
ONE word from God can change you life forever.
Just for argument sake...Is that why YOU go to a bar?
Considering that Jesus' first miracle was turning water into wine at a wedding reception, I think it is safe to say that drinking alcohol, in and of itself is not sinful. Furthermore, the drink at the last supper was also wine. As with anything beneficial, we must always check the motives of the heart before partaking in any activity. Do you drink alcohol to hide from your pain? Or do you drink alcohol to celebrate life, enjoy and meal and enjoy the people you are with? The problem with asking questions like this is that it draws lines of dissension where they ought not be. The question should always be, "where is your heart?", not "what are your hands doing?".
Why start something that could possibly destroy you or someone else? Is it really worth it to have that "one" drink and cause destruction to many. I have seen first hand what it can do - and it had nothing to do with being drunk - just judgement being very impaired. Scripture states that everything is lawful but not everything is expedient. I'm not judging anyone who has a drink but I'll not be joining you.
I choose to stay away from alcohol. I can celebrate and have fun just as well w/o it, in fact it's sad to me that some think they need it for this reason, or to loosen up. I don't think it is a sin,however, I don't see any benefit...not to mention it tastes terrible. If I have to work to aquire a taste for something then it's not really worth it.
Biblically speaking drinking is not a sin and yes drunkeness is. As mentioned in previous posts it's like playing w/ fire.
Post a Comment